Team Board Mck Draft

Who will the Sabres take?

• Sacha Boisvert, C, North Dakota (NCA

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Andrew Basha, F, Medicine Hat (WHL)

• Igor Chernyshov, LW, Dynamo Moscow (KHL)

• Trevor Connelly, LW, Providence (NCAA)

• Alfons Freij, D, Vaxjo (SWE)

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
I get it but we talk all year about having the same type of guys in the system, complaining about lack of grit and assertiveness so we want to go grab the same soft player and complain about the same things. That doesn't make sense to me.
Helenius is far from soft, he's the typical grinding Finn

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Helenius is far from soft, he's the typical grinding Finn
Soft was directed more at the farm. But the typical grinding anybody will probably project to a 3C...in 3, 4 years time. Great. You can get a polished version down at the market for a couple mill in a month. My point is what's the point.

Old Navy Goat

Apr 24, 2003
Pattaya Thailand aka adult Disneyland
Soft was directed more at the farm. But the typical grinding anybody will probably project to a 3C...in 3, 4 years time. Great. You can get a polished version down at the market for a couple mill in a month. My point is what's the point.
The point is you have no one like him in the pipeline and it's an area of need. He put up numbers in Liga that were impressive, while being the 1C on a very good team. He'd be a top 5 pick if he was 6'2 instead of 5'11

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
The point is you have no one like him in the pipeline and it's an area of need. He put up numbers in Liga that were impressive, while being the 1C on a very good team. He'd be a top 5 pick if he was 6'2 instead of 5'11
Very productive in a men's league however you pin Liiga. And there is an immediate need for what he might become but that's a poor draft strategy.

I get the sentiment I really do. I just believe that the team would go in a different direction if this is the scenario that falls to them. And frankly I'm confused because we all talk about the same issues with the team but when June rolls around we somehow clutch to the same types of players. Kulich and Rosen may never be top 6 players not because their lack of skill but mindset and physicality.

We did well with the tier teetering high picks in the last few years but I want to swing for the fences if we're making this pick.

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
Very productive in a men's league however you pin Liiga. And there is an immediate need for what he might become but that's a poor draft strategy.

I get the sentiment I really do. I just believe that the team would go in a different direction if this is the scenario that falls to them. And frankly I'm confused because we all talk about the same issues with the team but when June rolls around we somehow clutch to the same types of players. Kulich and Rosen may never be top 6 players not because their lack of skill but mindset and physicality.

We did well with the tier teetering high picks in the last few years but I want to swing for the fences if we're making this pick.
Before the TDL I thought we were all set...not great...but pretty secure at C, and had the time to wait on Ostlund and maybe an outside chance of Savoie becoming a C. Now it's the least reliable/predictable/deep position on the roster. That's a problem for a team that is supposedly turning a corner with higher expectations. Without KA having a proven track record at "win-now" trades, I have my doubts what he can do about it outside of the draft. So safely assuming they will again take BPA, Helenius is probably that guy and a top need...up there with MBN who I also would be happy to add.

Like @Old Navy Goat said, he's not a soft player and isn't like Rosen, Kulich, Savoie (because they're most likely wingers in the NHL), and bigger than Ostlund and likely gets to a playing weight around 200. Knowing Levshunov will be long gone, I don't like any of the other D-men that will be left in the range of #11. There's no contradiction from my POV.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

There's an argument to be made that Helenius is a swing for the fences pick in some regard. If he reaches max potential, he's the next Sebastian Aho (the forward).

Yakemchuk would be another swing for the fences pick here....as if he maxes out, he's another Brent Burns-type.

Parekh would be another swing for the fences pick -- he COULD be the next Erik Karlsson.

The guy I voted for, Sennecke, isn't that......if he maxes, he's another Alex Tuch-type. Very very useful. And something our prospect pool lacks outside of Wahlberg.

Reactions: Old Navy Goat

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad