OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: Doritos Bowl Match Up - Taylor Swift vs San Andreas Fault

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Austin coaches the defense and Faulkner and Suilvan coach the offense
I thought khan was the oc and it’s pretty obvious Art wanted KP. Tomlin couldn’t fire canada or bench KP without Arts blessing

Depending how Tomlin’s extension goes, I wouldn’t be shocked if Mike McCarthy got hired as OC and if he does a good job gets promoted to HC. Similar situation as Eric Bieniemy.

I’m not super pumped on that scenario, but I think it’s definitely possible.

Honest question, has a Super Bowl winning head coach ever gone back to being a coordinator?

A not very good one lol

It's been widely reported Tomlin has taken over the defense (you know this to be true, I don't need to provide you with links)
It's also true that Tomlin's philosophy is all over this offense.

But keep on defending the 2nd coming of Marty Schottenheimer

Marty Schottenheimer
2 losing seasons in 21, started with 14 straight non-losing seasons
reg season win pct .613
playoffs .278
Difference of -.335
playoff wins per season 5/21
with a stud QB: .629 (100-59); ..333 (2-4 )

vs

Mike Tomlin
no losing seasons in 17
.633 reg season
.444 playoffs
difference of -.189
playoff wins per season: 8/17
with a stud QB: .649 (146-79); .471 (8-9)

McCarthy wouldn’t surprise me at all. He checks all the boxes for a Steelers assistant. Western PA ties, experienced, and probably isn’t a risk to get poached for a HC job for a while.

I could see Bieniemy too although not sure I would want him tbh. He’s apparently a hardass which I think this team could actually use but his year in Washington wasn’t all that inspiring.

It's funny that the coach who beat Tomlin's ass over 10 years ago in the SB gets put on the hotseat but everyone wants to simp for Tomlin

Thanks for doing that… was wondering how exactly those blowout scores shook out early on.

Absolutely mind boggling stuff.

Nah man, he needs to move along.

It’s been over a dozen years of futility that would have seen other coaches get fired 2-3x over.

He can’t be trusted to hire a good OC.

He can’t be trusted period.

He’s f***ed up a once proud franchise to the point people have to say we are lucky not to be Browns and Jets fans.

Tired of dancing around reality while others pretend Tomlin wouldn’t be fired in any other NFL city.

Gary Kubiak is the only guy I could find. But it was a special case, he joined the Vikings as an assistant head coach and then became the OC after they fired their OC.

So I think the general answer is no.

And I find it very hard to believe that McCarthy would become an OC under Tomlin or another coach to be honest. I believe with all the openings that he will get another gig or take a year off. I could see him signing in Carolina due to nobody else wanting that job.

Tomlin is arrogant with his ignorance regarding losing the first quarter. He had the most ridiculous quote regarding that recently that should have had him fired the minute he shared his ignorance.

I think they game planned for a game in the snow and not the conditions they eventually got.

I mean no real deep shots and even when trailing they forced the run game makes me believe this

Now I get it Buffalo is good against the pass and somewhat vulnerable to the run, but their secondary was depleted with injuries and we never tried to do anything to test it

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Ironically, those who cry racism regarding Tomlin criticisms, miss the undisputable fact, the only reason that man coached as long as he did for the Steelers, is because of his skin color.

No other organization would have put up with the drama (go back to AB 10+ years ago for starters), the constant blowouts in the playoffs (we've all seen the stats).

And yet, the internet is full of people who just continue to ride his nutsack because he consistently wins 9-10 games every year. Nothing else matters. Not the absurd losses against awful teams, not the pathetic January record, that dates back to when he had a HOF QB, RB, and WR on a single roster.

Say what you want, but Bill Cowher had a similar career and he did it almost exclusively without a HOF QB and once he did get one, won a SB.

The Old Master

come and take it.
Sep 27, 2004
burgh
this whole thing about kenny / rudy vs stud qb. while i would be all for getting a top 5 qb we seem to be judging our qb's as though they are a finished product. they are not. they may never be that top stud, but both could be a very good qb.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
@pistolpete11 old thread was closed so replying here. McCarthy is likely going to struggle to find a HC position this offseason, so in the scenario Tomlin goes into next season without an extension, McCarthy would be first in line for the HC position in 2025.

That said, I don’t think Tomlin would be willing to go into the year without an extension, so that might be a moot point. Fingers crossed he steps down soon.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Ironically, those who cry racism regarding Tomlin criticisms, miss the undisputable fact, the only reason that man coached as long as he did for the Steelers, is because of his skin color.

No other organization would have put up with the drama (go back to AB 10+ years ago for starters), the constant blowouts in the playoffs (we've all seen the stats).

And yet, the internet is full of people who just continue to ride his nutsack because he consistently wins 9-10 games every year. Nothing else matters. Not the absurd losses against awful teams, not the pathetic January record, that dates back to when he had a HOF QB, RB, and WR on a single roster.

Say what you want, but Bill Cowher had a similar career and he did it almost exclusively without a HOF QB and once he did get one, won a SB.

While I don't believe skin color is THE only reason Tomlin retains his job, I believe it is PART of the reason.

I mean the optics for the organization would be terrible. Fire the coach on the team that created the Rooney rule? They would get skewered in the media and we know the only reason Canada got canned was due to the media/public outcry that something had to be done.

I truly believe that if not for the "Fire Canada" chants, he'd still be running the offense

But I don't think Tomlin will be "fired". I think they'll have a "mutual parting of ways" like BB.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh

I can't disagree with you more. The Steelers love being able to tout they have had 3 coaches in 50+ years and saying how that stability means why they are consistently "good" team. We ain't the Browns because of it, etc etc. ARII still thinks Tomlin is a good coach and is scared of change.

MrBrightside

May 5, 2010
Franklin Park, PA
I can't disagree with you more. The Steelers love being able to tout they have had 3 coaches in 50+ years and saying how that stability means why they are consistently "good" team. We ain't the Browns because of it, etc etc. ARII still thinks Tomlin is a good coach and is scared of change.
All of that can be true, and it can also be true at the same time that the team behind the Rooney Rule is probably a lot less likely to terminate a black head coach who is perceived by the national media as successful.

Meh, that stat way more likely to be coincidental and circumstantial than it is probative of anything. I mean, yes, Watt is the more valuable player of the two, but that's like pointing to Mason Rudolph being 3-0 in 2023 and arguing he's better than Joe Burrow who was 2-4 or whatever he was.

Goalie_Bob

1992 Vezina (2nd)
Dec 30, 2005
Pittsburgh
I can't stand Minkah. I think he is a good player but he just represents the line in the sand where they lost the plot. Trading a first round pick in the season where you lost your aging franchise QB to a throwing arm injury for him and then signing him to a ridiculous contract for what a player like him can impose on the field.

There are so many better ways of spending 20mil. I truly believe they could have two safeties making 5 mil a piece and get the same production.

Reactions: T1K

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Nah, politics and optics, and PR is THE factor when it comes to a multi billion dollar enterprise. And the politics/optics is directly tied to that man's skin color. Especially for the Pittsburgh Steelers and Dan/Art Rooney.

The Rooney's pushed the POC directive and even through this year, the vast majority of the media, both local and national, have defended Tomlin ad nauseam. It's cracked over the last month or so, but up until now, the heat would have been MASSIVE had Rooney pulled the plug.

It is a new age where sensitivity matters more than production. This has infected every single sector of society.

There is no defense for keeping a coach that can't win in the playoffs. Not for this org. Tomlin's standard talk sinks him if you actually believe the standard should be winning in Januray and February.

You can win more games than you lose every year, and he has, but what difference does it make if you are mired in mediocrity and never win games that actually matter?

The asinine notion that Mike Tomlin is the only man who could lead this team to wins, is just that. Asinine.

Edit: And Rooney not willing to make a change because he's "scared" just puts him firmly into the coward camp.

And I think Tomlin storming off last night, summed up his character perfectly. He's always acted like a petulant child when tough questions hit him.

Reactions: ndolla

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
All of that can be true, and it can also be true at the same time that the team behind the Rooney Rule is probably a lot less likely to terminate a black head coach who is perceived by the national media as successful.

Meh, that stat way more likely to be coincidental and circumstantial than it is probative of anything. I mean, yes, Watt is the more valuable player of the two, but that's like pointing to Mason Rudolph being 3-0 in 2023 and arguing he's better than Joe Burrow who was 2-4 or whatever he was.
You’re probably right, and it’s worth noting edge is a way more impactful position than safety. I think it does raise a question about whether Minkah is worth his contract though— he’s the 2nd highest paid safety in the league.

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh
I can't stand Minkah. I think he is a good player but he just represents the line in the sand where they lost the plot. Trading a first round pick in the season where you lost your aging franchise QB to a throwing arm injury for him and then signing him to a ridiculous contract for what a player like him can impose on the field.

There are so many better ways of spending 20mil. I truly believe they could have two safeties making 5 mil a piece and get the same production.
That season was the perfect excuse to pack it in and tank for a new QB. The QB class was absolutely loaded: Burrow, Herbert, Tua, Hurts….

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Mike McCarthy got fired though and is probably going to get fired again.

Race is 100% a factor with Tomlin. I don't even lean right politically but I think AR3 is right to be concerned about his reputation if he fires Tomlin, especially if the next guy is a dud.

Reactions: ndolla

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
Mike McCarthy only still had a job as a head coach in the NFL for all these years despite constant choking with good rosters because he's Black.
Mcdermitt and Tomlin are the same person both fired their oc this season qqean fired the dc before the season and would be fired if not for Allen

JTG

Sep 30, 2007
I'm still kind of digesting what happened. I think Mason did a fine job. Is he the answer? I don't think so, but the thing that absolutely infuriates me is that this dude was here and we spent a 1st round pick on a QB rather than giving him a chance.

This team is a sunk cost - we have spent the money and the picks, and it has got this team no where. They would experience success faster by blowing it totally back and rebuilding like Detroit has. Mike Tomlin may be able to point at regular season "success" as a hallmark of why he is a top coach, but his playoff record and the massacre that has been is much more indicative of the coach he is, IMO.

Najee and Warren needed to have big games - they did not. Art 2 has to look at himself in the mirror this offseason and determine where this thing is going, because right now, it isn't going anywhere positive.

I think Omar and Andy should be given free rein to do whatever they feel is necessary to make this team competitive. Have allegiances to no one and nothing.

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
That season was the perfect excuse to pack it in and tank for a new QB. The QB class was absolutely loaded: Burrow, Herbert, Tua, Hurts….
They could have still drafted hurt’s instead of Claypool

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Not going to comment a whole lot on the Tomlin situation because I think he will be signed to an extension this offseason.

Tired: Rooney gives Tomlin preferential treatment because of his race
Inspired: Drafting a Caucasian cornerback in the first round

20. Pittsburgh Steelers: Cooper DeJean, CB, Iowa​

One of the top athletes in the draft, DeJean has experience as an outside corner, inside corner and a box/middle-field defender. I’ll be sending a petition for the NFL to add a dunk contest at the combine so we can see DeJean go to work. And we already know he performs well wearing black and gold.

51. Pittsburgh Steelers: Zach Frazier, G/C, West Virginia​

Having grown up 90 miles south of Pittsburgh, Frazier embodies the toughness and physicality you expect from a Steelers offensive lineman. His late-season leg injury clouds his projection a tad, but it wouldn’t be a surprise if he became a starting NFL center very early next season.

ChaosAgent

May 8, 2018
Not going to comment a whole lot on the Tomlin situation because I think he will be signed to an extension this offseason.

One of the top athletes in the draft, DeJean has experience as an outside corner, inside corner and a box/middle-field defender. I’ll be sending a petition for the NFL to add a dunk contest at the combine so we can see DeJean go to work. And we already know he performs well wearing black and gold.

Having grown up 90 miles south of Pittsburgh, Frazier embodies the toughness and physicality you expect from a Steelers offensive lineman. His late-season leg injury clouds his projection a tad, but it wouldn’t be a surprise if he became a starting NFL center very early next season.

Taking the white corner just to anger Mendenhall?

T1K

Jul 23, 2013
Pittsburgh

It’s good process to avoid white corners

They could have still drafted hurt’s instead of Claypool
Pain. At least we got JPJ out of the Claypool pick.

NewAgeOutlaw

Belie Dat!
Jul 15, 2011
412/724
I'm curious what backlash people think firing Tomlin would cause. I'm sure a few sports pundits would complain but it is not as if there would be mass protests or anything.

I think it is delusional to think ownership is like "we should totally fire Tomlin but can't because he's Black".

Reactions: Factorial
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad