OT: The Pittsburgher Thread: New Quarter Backs for the Handball team!

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
Not attending parts of off-season in search of a new contract is just normal these days. I don't see the issue there.

Only informing the team that's what he's doing through the media seems to have nettled them a bit so maybe that bit isn't normal. But not going to OTAs is normal. If I had a problem with that, I'd have a problem with most star players in the NFL.

If I wasn't clear then that's my bad. Essentially what I was trying to say: he's making a production out of it when it's just not necessary.

I'm not upset he's choosing to skip OTA's...that's standard for vets and he probably should be resting anyway. I just hate the needless drama he's created by his approach

Reactions: Peat

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
This team is better off having Heyward in some capacity than not having him and I don’t see that changing over the next couple of years, unless his body completely fails him.

An extension makes sense unless he’s still demanding to be paid like a top 5 DT.

bigdaddyk88

Apr 21, 2019
This team is better off having Heyward in some capacity than not having him and I don’t see that changing over the next couple of years, unless his body completely fails him.

An extension makes sense unless he’s still demanding to be paid like a top 5 DT.
And this is the rub at his age only Darnold made more then him. The Steelers probably looked at cambell 7 million not the 16 million Cam is making

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
1. My initial post was "why would a team want to extend him?". You said "Hes been an elite defensive lineman for a decade and was still solid playing on one leg last season?". That to me seems like an advocate for an extension.

2. I didn't realize past performance promises future results? He was a good player. Now he's quite average.

3. As always, there is context. I don't have an issue wanting an extension. I have issue with the way they go about it

If Cam occasionally or never attended OTA's, this wouldn't raise any eyebrows. But he's doing it (holding out of OTAs) for the SOLE PURPOSE of a new contract. He's being transparent that it's in retaliation for not having one.

That's a critical and distinct difference than "well it's not mandatory". He could have just said "I'm not attending this year". But he intentionally tied it to the lack of a contract. Huge difference. His direct quote is below.

"Have always attended these, but at this time it's just contract negotiations, and I want to be a Pittsburgh Steeler, but we'll see what happens."

1. Thats not the post i responded to. It was the Scam Heyward/massive ego post. So my response stands.

2. Its not a promise of future results and age is obviously a factor in what ever deal would be potentially offered but the dude was elite as recently as 2 years ago and was at least average last year despite playing through a major injury.

3. I cant imagine for the life of me why anyone could care less about “how they go about it” its the one minor bit of leverage a player has AND is completely within his rights to do.

I dont hear anyone complain when teams dont “live up to contracts” when they cut a guy with non guarenteed money.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017

An extension doesn’t make any sense unless and until 1) they see how he comes back from injury or 2) they need $ to sign someone and he’s willing to spread the cap hit to a second year…but the team would be stupid to commit new $ to Cam until they see him play during the seasom

Reactions: Buddy Bizarre

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
If I wasn't clear then that's my bad. Essentially what I was trying to say: he's making a production out of it when it's just not necessary.

I'm not upset he's choosing to skip OTA's...that's standard for vets and he probably should be resting anyway. I just hate the needless drama he's created by his approach

Letting it slide out during camp that's why he's not there does feel like it'd be less dramatic.

Needless? Well, I guess I probably wouldn't see it as needless if it was my money.

At this point you've got to suspect something of this nature is happening. It's the most logical explanation and fits Heyward saying he wouldn't take a pay cut this year. It's that or Khan is going full Hextall with negotiations, which is possible too.

Reactions: xlm34

Double-Shift Lasse

Just post better
Dec 22, 2004
Exurban Cbus

This. Especially given the team brought in Russ after Cam advocated for it. It's just a weird look for Cam.

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008

Spicy

An extension doesn’t make any sense unless and until 1) they see how he comes back from injury or 2) they need $ to sign someone and he’s willing to spread the cap hit to a second year…but the team would be stupid to commit new $ to Cam until they see him play during the seasom

Again it depends on the money. Even with the injury, his run defense alone made him a really useful player last year.

Mr Jiggyfly

Jan 29, 2004

He has been remarkably durable during his career, but he’s at that age where you have to be really careful committing beyond a couple years.

If he wants a reasonable extension cool.

But he shouldn’t be paid based on his past production when he’s pushing 35.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
1. Thats not the post i responded to. It was the Scam Heyward/massive ego post. So my response stands.

2. Its not a promise of future results and age is obviously a factor in what ever deal would be potentially offered but the dude was elite as recently as 2 years ago and was at least average last year despite playing through a major injury.

3. I cant imagine for the life of me why anyone could care less about “how they go about it” its the one minor bit of leverage a player has AND is completely within his rights to do.

I dont hear anyone complain when teams dont “live up to contracts” when they cut a guy with non guarenteed money.

1. Well you should have been more clear in terms of what you were responding to; we could have avoided a couple back and forths
2. "Recently as 2 years ago..." that's eons when you consider the nature of the NFL and pay for performance. Should we bring back Ben too? He was probably better at his old age vs what we've trotted out at QB for the past couple years. Cam is washed up at this point. Avatar bet if he misses 6 games?
3. Thanks for not respecting that I have opinions on how players on my fav team should conduct themselves. This is a supposed team leader on defense; what message does that send to other guys? Make your stance known in private and go about your business. And yes, Cam and others have rights to do this. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. Do your thing, but understand that what you say has consequences. Just like what DJ and KP did and said- guess what happened to their asses?

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
Mostly interested in seeing what the first team OL reps look like today if all the participants are there. I know we kind of slow played Broderick last year, but I think the gloves will be off with Fautanu given his experience level and number of starts in college.

Also what will Cory Trice's level of participation be?

Reactions: Double-Shift Lasse

xlm34

Dec 1, 2008
At this point I might just forget how it affects the Steelers and focus on enjoying the drama.

I love it. Stuff like this is a reminder that sports is the ultimate version of reality TV and we take it way too seriously at times.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Honestly I don't think Heyward comes off as looking very good in all of this.

Tbh, I just haven't really liked Heyward's last year of media work in general. His comments when the offence were melting down seemed very willfully blind and the part where he was telling DJ off for playing GM with his comments about Rudolph only to then go lobby for Russell Wilson in private didn't sit right. That's more my personal irritation than any concerns about leadership, but it's not great leadership either.

The public negotiations thing is in the same bucket.

But then it's small fry compared to Bosa nearly missing a game because he's still arguing over money.

It's a shame that it seems set to be a thing where currently active NFL org members are doing regular media activity. I appreciate the openness - when they're actually being open - but few of them come across as more likeable for it.

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
1. Well you should have been more clear in terms of what you were responding to; we could have avoided a couple back and forths
2. "Recently as 2 years ago..." that's eons when you consider the nature of the NFL and pay for performance. Should we bring back Ben too? He was probably better at his old age vs what we've trotted out at QB for the past couple years. Cam is washed up at this point. Avatar bet if he misses 6 games?
3. Thanks for not respecting that I have opinions on how players on my fav team should conduct themselves. This is a supposed team leader on defense; what message does that send to other guys? Make your stance known in private and go about your business. And yes, Cam and others have rights to do this. Just because you can do something, doesn't mean you should. Do your thing, but understand that what you say has consequences. Just like what DJ and KP did and said- guess what happened to their asses?

1. Skip, i think it was pretty clear to what i was responding to but no big deal either way.

2. Prove hes “washed up”. He got injured. Football players get injured. And he played fine (just not elite) while injured. There is no evidence that he isnt capable of playing at a high level. That being said the cliff can come fast and if thats your contention fine. But theres nothing on tape to back up Cam is over the hill.

2b. Im always up for a bet but im not sure what missing 6 games is relevant to this disagreement. More detail into your thought process?

3. Your right i do not respect that you have an opinion about this. I generally dont when people cast aspersions based on arbitrary “ethic or morrals” especially when nobody is being harmed. Its nothing personal but how Cam Heyward or any other player handles their personal business is none of my business. And just to be super clear im no exception ive done it plenty, especially when i was younger for example i hated dudes who celebrated/“did things the wrong way” etc. But i figured out a while ago that, thats a me problem.

Also, There will be zero consequences to anything related to on field results, not a single soul is going to care unless it gets so ugly he misses the games that matter.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016

That tweet ain't showing for me. What did it say?

Incidentally it's wild to me that Heyward can call the most disliked beat reporter on the team a liar, probably rightly, and here's me and others going "man I'm over Cam".

Think it says it all about how exhausting all the me first mentalities on the team has been.

WickedWrister

Jul 25, 2008
Philadelphia
That tweet ain't showing for me. What did it say?

Incidentally it's wild to me that Heyward can call the most disliked beat reporter on the team a liar, probably rightly, and here's me and others going "man I'm over Cam".

Think it says it all about how exhausting all the me first mentalities on the team has been.
Tweet got deleted and the footage went to youtube instead so I linked that.

Players shitting on Dulac warms my soul. I'm not going to get concerned with the Cam stuff until he starts missing mandatory minicamp in June and/or training camp. Holding out is really the only negotiating tactic available to players if they're looking for a new deal.

Buddy Bizarre

Jul 9, 2021
1. Skip, i think it was pretty clear to what i was responding to but no big deal either way.

2. Prove hes “washed up”. He got injured. Football players get injured. And he played fine (just not elite) while injured. There is no evidence that he isnt capable of playing at a high level. That being said the cliff can come fast and if thats your contention fine. But theres nothing on tape to back up Cam is over the hill.

2b. Im always up for a bet but im not sure what missing 6 games is relevant to this disagreement. More detail into your thought process?

3. Your right i do not respect that you have an opinion about this. I generally dont when people cast aspersions based on arbitrary “ethic or morrals” especially when nobody is being harmed. Its nothing personal but how Cam Heyward or any other player handles their personal business is none of my business. And just to be super clear im no exception ive done it plenty, especially when i was younger for example i hated dudes who celebrated/“did things the wrong way” etc. But i figured out a while ago that, thats a me problem.

Also, There will be zero consequences to anything related to on field results, not a single soul is going to care unless it gets so ugly he misses the games that matter.

2a. The stats can speak for themselves. Look at 2020 and beyond. Seems like he's becoming more of a "pass rusher" vs "run stuffer". Those kinds of stats are not something I'd want to commit long term to.

2b. I think Games Played is a relevant stat. 6 seems like a reasonable number to determine whether a player is healthy and can be relied upon. Pick another number if you feel it's more representative

3. "Your right i do not respect that you have an opinion about this" Hey, super cool that you don't respect my opinion. Really nice flex and all that, but I think that says more about you vs me as I respect ( and will continue to)your perspective.
What Cam is doing doesn't make him a bad person. But it makes him a bad leader. And on a young team that needs all the leadership it can get, this isn't the way to set the tone for the season. I've always been of the mindset that if you put your nose down and do the right things, pay/status/accolades take care of themselves. The process matters than the end result. And you might disagree it's not hurting anyone, but the fact we're talking about it likely means others are too and have certain feelings about it (negative and positive).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad