The Roster Thread, Summer 2024

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Not going to acquire someone just for the sake of it though.
Except that's not what it would be at all. Cirelli ticks a hell of a lot of boxes for what the Sabres are looking for, see the last post I replied to. He also doesn't have trade protection which a lot of players that we are looking to obtain do have. Another +

-------------------

Honestly even though I don't like him as a player very much I wouldn't mind taking Jeannot off Tampa's hands either as I'm sure they're looking to get rid of him.

Now that would be making a deal just for the sake of it and trying to get more "identity" on the 4th line. With an expiring deal after next season, who cares?

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
The big question is, what is the direction Tampa is taking now? It could be that they'll be relying more on Cirelli now than ever before -- trading him could be the furthest thing from their minds. That's what I'd assume. They sure aren't rebuilding with 3 great centers and the best RW in the game all still at their peak.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Except that's not what it would be at all. Cirelli ticks a hell of a lot of boxes for what the Sabres are looking for, see the last post I replied to. He also doesn't have trade protection which a lot of players that we are looking to obtain do have. Another +

-------------------

Honestly even though I don't like him as a player very much I wouldn't mind taking Jeannot off Tampa's hands either as I'm sure they're looking to get rid of him.

Now that would be making a deal just for the sake of it and trying to get more "identity" on the 4th line. With an expiring deal after next season, who cares?
GOH56uiXcAAaFxc.jpg

Who wants a center that has been 2nd amongst centers in TOI/GP and has been a primary STs guy on multiple Cup winners?

The big question is, what is the direction Tampa is taking now? It could be that they'll be relying more on Cirelli now than ever before -- trading him could be the furthest thing from their minds. That's what I'd assume. They sure aren't rebuilding with 3 great centers and the best RW in the game all still at their peak.
If he moves, Adams should be in on it.

I don't want to see Cirelli move and then we hear that Adams was unwilling to part with 11OV or a certain prospect.

Last edited:

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
With them trading back for McDonagh while NSH retained no money and them planning on signing Stamkos.. They don't have any choice out of guys who don't have trade protection to get the maximum value.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
Kevyn needs to get on the horn yesterday and get Cirelli here.

Why? Is there talk TB is looking to move him? ..

Also, Skinner has scored with a guy like Derek Ryan as his center. He doesn't need to be stapled to a top line but his skating does worry me.

His skating has taken a hit but he always relied on his Edge work as opposed to any speed.. he was never very fast

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Why? Is there talk TB is looking to move him? ..
With them trading back for McDonagh while NSH retained no money and them planning on signing Stamkos.. They don't have any choice out of guys who don't have trade protection to get the maximum value.
Seems like a foregone conclusion Stamkos is going to re-sign as JBB just said they're working on an extension. Even Tampa fans in the trade thread seem to think it's obvious that Cirelli is the odd man out.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
View attachment 874000

Who wants a center that has been 2nd amongst centers in TOI/GP and has been a primary STs guy on multiple Cup winners?

If he moves, Adams should be in on it.

I don't want to see Cirelli move and then we hear that Adams was unwilling to part with 11OV or a certain prospect.
Any forward prospect should be available for that kind of return.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
They also have Nick Paul signed for a while at half of Cirelli's cap hit. That should make them more open to moving Cirelli
They're not trading Cirelli folks. He's arguably among the top 3 most important players on their team. It's like when other teams are giving lowball offers for Power -- you have to step in their shoes for one second to realize it's the dumbest thing for them to trade him for futures.

Any forward prospect should be available for that kind of return.
Tampa doesn't need winger propsects. At all.

They have a ton of choice. They literally have like a dozen things they can do to make up for the $6M they pay Cirelli.

Aladyyn

they praying for the death of a rockstar
Apr 6, 2015
Czech Republic
They're not trading Cirelli folks. He's arguably among the top 3 most important players on their team. It's like when other teams are giving lowball offers for Power -- you have to step in their shoes for one second to realize it's the dumbest thing for them to trade him for futures.

Tampa doesn't need winger propsects. At all.
They'll have to trade someone if they're extending Stamkos. Cirelli and Hagel are the only big earners with no trade protection and Hagel was just extended.

Also Tampa could use literally any good prospects at all at this point come on

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
They'll have to trade someone if they're extending Stamkos. Cirelli and Hagel are the only big earners with no trade protection and Hagel was just extended.

Also Tampa could use literally any good prospects at all at this point come on
Stamkos will extend for cheap and they'll move Sheary and/or Jeannot. Not that big of a deal. Good GMs figure out how to keep their best players, and Cirelli isn't even expensive. It's probably one of their best contracts.

Reactions: dickiedunnwrotethis

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I wouldn't want to trade Power or Byram for Cirelli as was being proposed in a recent trade thread.

But if he's available for futures - that might make a ton if sense. I highly doubt he's available though.

Reactions: Matt Ress

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
Stamkos will extend for cheap and they'll move Sheary and/or Jeannot. Not that big of a deal. Good GMs figure out how to keep their best players, and Cirelli isn't even expensive. It's probably one of their best contracts.
What on earth do you think Stamkos is re-signing for? 4 million? Dude just scored 40. He will sign for around 7 million for short term

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Kevyn needs to get on the horn yesterday and get Cirelli here.
No he does not
Why, he's an overpaid 3rd line Center who's never surpassed 45 points
Because grass is greener on the other side if the street
Because he's an ideal matchup center, has won multiple cups while being excellent in the playoffs for Tampa, is signed long term and is the perfect age for our window? These are all things that would help this roster beyond belief.

Choosing his counting stats to obtain his value is wild.
Hes not
He cant get more than 50pts

Long term yo as n ovrro as I'd ckntrsct.

How is this ideal

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Because he's an ideal matchup center, has won multiple cups while being excellent in the playoffs for Tampa, is signed long term and is the perfect age for our window? These are all things that would help this roster beyond belief.

Choosing his counting stats to obtain his value is wild.

I just feel 6.25mil is steep for a 3rd line center.

Plus his Adjusted Corsi and Fenwick are negative as well as having a literally atrocious playoff this year.

thewookie1

Jan 21, 2015
Also no, I'm not trading Power or Byram for Cerelli

I've always like Cirelli but his contract is a bit of tough pill to swallow.

Beerz

Jun 28, 2011
I wouldn't even trade Power for Cirelli lol .. where is this talk coming from?

TehDoak

Chili that wants to be here
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Will fix everything
The Cirelli hate is hilarious.

Guys stats are almost all EV points. He gets some second unit PP time and that is it. He's an elite penalty killer and shot blocker. He's the best PK forward on a top 10 PK unit. He scores shorthanded.

Cirelli is almost the best possible embodiment of what we need as a complementary 3C.

The closest comp I could find was when Carolina traded for Jordan Staal. Pittsburgh got two good young players and 8th overall. I don't think we'd quite have to pay THAT price, but the idea that trading 11th OA for a center like Cirelli is stupid because "POINTS" is silly.

MOGlLNY

Jan 5, 2008
I just feel 6.25mil is steep for a 3rd line center.

Plus his Adjusted Corsi and Fenwick are negative as well as having a literally atrocious playoff this year.
I get it, it’s not perfect and does have risks attached. But again, these guys are always POTENTIALLY available for a reason.

If Cirelli was playing fully to the capabilities they expected from him, their posters wouldn’t be saying it’s a possibility.

We need a matchup center; Cirelli has no trade protection, is signed long term and has experience we’re looking for at a great age for our core.

Yes there’s risks, but ones I’m absolutely willing to take if he’s available. If we trade a prospect it can be replaced with the 11th. If we trade the 11th our cupboard is still very deep.

Not saying this is you specifically because we know who the main culprit is but I’m so sick of the bullshit about how we need to hold our picks and prospects unless the perfect trade comes along because our cap situation in 2029 will be disrupted. f***ing enough. Sometimes good is good enough.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
Forwards do also play center, weird conclusion.

What they will need, and soon, is cheap contracts.
If that recent trade thread you & i were posting in was any indicator - it seems that they were not interested in anything that wasn't a proven top 4 D.

Of course it doesn't really matter what fans think - but i can easily see them insisting on keeping their window open for as long as they think they can without even a 're-tool'.

OkimLom

May 3, 2010
Also no, I'm not trading Power or Byram for Cerelli

I've always like Cirelli but his contract is a bit of tough pill to swallow.
How is it a tough pill to swallow? It might be $1 million overpayment, with zero movement restrictions.

Cirelli would fit exactly where Mittelstadt did in the lineup, in terms of matchups and I don't think Cirelli's contract is that much different than what Casey would've received here. Cirelli fits the timeline, and allows the team to continue to develop Cozens at the center position at the NHL and give time to the rest of the prospects to develop.

I can't believe at this point, we're still worried about players' offensive output numbers instead of looking at their overall game, when we have seen even at the organization's most productive season in years, we still couldn't make the playoffs, because this team doesn't have the players that can win you games. Cirelli is a guy you can win games with, because he plays the game and was taught to play the game with winning in mind.

I'd dangle out Ryan Johnson and 11th overall and see if Tampa is interested (I think they would be)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad