Player Discussion The Underrated Brock Boeser

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Despite his wonderful year, the Canucks have some hard decisions to make on Boeser. He's heading into his UFA season, at which point he's due a raise on his $6.5m salary.

I suppose there's a chance the Canucks re-sign him. But you'd have swallow hard if the contract 'ask' is $7-8m a season.

With Hughes needing a new contract down the road, and the need to rebuild the blueline again, you have to ask yourself if that amount of money makes sense for a guy who's only broken through the 30-goal barrier once in his career.

Allvin and Rutherford have proven they'll pursue just about any deal that they feel will improve the hockey club. That means almost anyone not named Pettersson, Hughes and Miller, should be on the table.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
I suppose there's a chance the Canucks re-sign him. But you'd have swallow hard if the contract 'ask' is $7-8m a season.

Lol you got to be kidding me. The one guy who who surpassed all expectations this year. Our best player in the playoffs (between him and Miller & Miller’s game was effected negatively without him in game 7), one of the few players that plays heavy and wins board battles, one of the few players that doesn’t coast and play on the perimeter, really rounded out his 2-way game, was used in key defensive situations, great character, Big goals during crunch time, extremely clutch.

Reactions: oba

Pure West

Oct 3, 2005
Vancouver
Despite his wonderful year, the Canucks have some hard decisions to make on Boeser. He's heading into his UFA season, at which point he's due a raise on his $6.5m salary.

With Hughes needing a new contract down the road, and the need to rebuild the blueline again, you have to ask yourself if that amount of money makes sense for a guy who's only broken through the 30-goal barrier once in his career.

Allvin and Rutherford have proven they'll pursue just about any deal that they feel will improve the hockey club. That means almost anyone not named Pettersson, Hughes and Miller, should be on the table.

If he has a season anywhere close to the one he just had, if he only wants 7 million you take that and run. 40 goals, an excellent playoffs and quality 2 way play at 27 years old for 7 million would be an f'n steal.

oba

Feb 2, 2024
Lol you got to be kidding me. The one guy who who surpassed all expectations this year. Our best player in the playoffs (between him and Miller & Miller’s game was effected negatively without him in game 7), one of the few players that plays heavy and wins board battles, one of the few players that doesn’t coast and play on the perimeter, really rounded out his 2-way game, was used in key defensive situations, great character, Big goals during crunch time, extremely clutch.
Yep ...

Reactions: AlainVigneaultsGum

Grumbler

Oct 25, 2012
7 million for him is definitely worth it. Of all the unrestricted free agents, he should be the first one we try to sign.

The only reason worth debating about is if his blood clot injury is long term. Sorry to sound unsympathetic but this is business.

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec

If all Boeser wants is 7-8M, a meager 350k to 1.350k raise on his current deal. I ask him if he'd prefer 6, 7 or 8 years. He can pick. Hell, we can begin that contract discussion right now if he'd like. Getting out of the way early!

7-8M for Boeser would be a absolute steal. Yes, there are injury concerns and the like but we're not going to find a replacement anywhere close to as good for that price.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Boeser is still going to be a very tough call for the Canucks. He's probably due a substantial raise on his base salary of $6.65m.

The problem for the Canucks, is that when you look at Boeser's career to date, last year's 40 goal, 73 point season was a total outlier. Prior to that he was averaging about 20-26 goals and 50 points a season, and has missed a chunk of time with injuries.

The Canucks decided that $8m a season was just too rich to swallow for Bo Horvat, and traded him basically at the top of the market. I know it might seem outlandish after the playoffs he just had, but you can't rule out the same thing happening to Boeser and the Canucks as it did when the Canucks traded their captain.

One thing is for certain.....expect the 'unexpected' from Allvin.

• Haha
Reactions: Ace of Hades

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
I was more on the potential sell high train with Boeser earlier in the year because of concern for his contract, and I’d still be concerned if he wanted 7-8 year and/or an overly high AAV, but his playoff impressed me even more than his regular season and I think he’s made some real strides as an overall player, and the team’s scoring drying up later in the year reinforced how valuable someone who can finish his chances is. Although the blood clotting issue likely made any current opinions moot anyway as it’s hard to see a scenario where you move him or sign him before the season, and reassess when he’s able to get back.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Boeser turned into Mark Stone 2.0 with better goal scoring. Has become an incredible 2-way player, best Canuck in the playoffs. Really Impressive.

Reactions: Nuck Bonino

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad