Would you like to trade or keep Hronek?

• Trade

• Keep

Results are only viewable after voting.

God

Free Citizen
Apr 2, 2007
Vancouver
It's easy to say "drop him and sign someone like Tanev", but we just saw Cole get worn down by age over the course of a full season.

And you can maybe trade him for assets and sign a Montour, but there's a 4 year difference in age there so you're not exactly getting full value for your dollar.

I think we keep him. Allan Walsh is insane, yes, but the drop off in play in the second half of the season happened team-wide and Hronek's clearly fighting and injury. That keeps the number down.

Ernie

Aug 3, 2004
I think the Canucks did themselves a bit of a disservice by not giving him a longer look on the 2nd pairing. Finding a good partner for Quinn Hughes is great but you need more than that if you want to sigh him for 8 years.

The team can't keep everyone so they need to prioritize the players who want to stay and are willing to show it with their salary demands. A couple of months ago Hronek was treated as the priority. That should no longer be the case - he had his chance.

The smart play is to qualify him and let the arbitration process play out. Even if it ends up being a situation where they just get him under contract for a year and he walks, at least they get a chance to delay a decision about his long term fit.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Qualify and evaluate on a prove me deal
This is what I’m leaning toward, and play him a lot more on the 2nd pairing next season. Maybe pick your spots to play him with Hughes(trailing in games, close games vs playoff teams)

Let’s find out what player he is away from Hughes

If you don’t like him by the TDL or can’t agree on a deal, trade him. Not difficult at all to find a buyer for a RHD at the TDL.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
This is what I’m leaning toward, and play him a lot more on the 2nd pairing next season. Maybe pick your spots to play him with Hughes(trailing in games, close games vs playoff teams)

Let’s find out what player he is away from Hughes

If you don’t like him by the TDL or can’t agree on a deal, trade him. Not difficult at all to find a buyer for a RHD at the TDL.
A buyer is giving you futures. If you are a PO team, can you do that to your roster and take a player away? Really, a decision probably needs to be made in the summer. Teams heading into PO don't plan on dealing UFAs to be come TDL.

canuckking1

Feb 8, 2015
Depending on what the injury is, I would keep him. He was definitely playing banged up, and if it's major, then you'd have to give him a pat on the back for playing through it

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
A buyer is giving you futures. If you are a PO team, can you do that to your roster and take a player away? Really, a decision probably needs to be made in the summer. Teams heading into PO don't plan on dealing UFAs to be come TDL.
Very true, it'd have to be similar to the Horvat-Hronek or Kuz-Lindholm scenarios.

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
At minimum you are getting a 40-point right handed shot Dman who is fairly young and has good chemistry playing with Hughes.

I wouldn't pay him $8M/yr, but $7M a year or in that range I think you do it.

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
Trade him to maximize asset value and retain Zadorov & Lindholm imo.
Use excess assets from trade to address holes in roster after TDL. It's the only way.

Reactions: Lindgren

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
I picked both. Because i could.

Really depends on just how much he's going to cost. Over $7M and i really start exploring other options. Should really be more in the $6M range but that seems unlikely.

Also depends on a lot of other things. What can you get for him in trade? Can you recoup more or less the same package they originally dealt for him, despite no longer having term remaining on a good value contract? What else can you get to "replace" him?

What happens with Hronek definitely feels like the real linchpin of this offseason though. What happens there and what it costs is going to really delineate what other options and flexibility they have with all the other things that are currently up in the air.

Reactions: alternate

alternate

Win the week!
Jun 9, 2006
victoria
I thought defensively he played well vs EDM and the reported elbow injury explains the offensive struggles.

If he'll sign for less than Hughes, you kinda have to imo. But without knowing the contract and his trade value, hard question to answer (I voted for both options).

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Voted to 'keep him'.....but that assumes they can get him signed to some sort or 'bridge deal'. And that is bound to be more expensive than if they signed him to a long-term extension.

If the Canucks had more depth on the blueline; or a bunch of prospects beating down to the door to the NHL, then maybe you consider trading Hronek. But clearly they don't. So he's more valuable to the Canucks than he would be for just about any other NHL team.

Considering what the Canucks gave up for Hronek, I doubt they'd get similar value back in a trade. The big worry is that he tends to wear down over a long NHL season. But they have to get him some help and reduce his minutes a little.

Bertuzzzi44

Jun 26, 2018
Trade him to maximize asset value and retain Zadorov & Lindholm imo.
Use excess assets from trade to address holes in roster after TDL. It's the only way.

Agree with everything you said, if we sign Hronek we’re going to leave too many holes that need to be filled especially up front to solidify the middle 6. Most of the teams advancing in the playoffs are doing so with 1 great offensive Dman and 5 solid defensive defenceman (Stars with Heiskanen and 5 defensive Dmen, Rangers with Fox, Oilers with Bouchard) we should do the same as we have Hughes and should use the Hronek Money on Lindholm Zadorov & Joshua.

ayoshi

Nov 3, 2010
How much are people thinking the Canucks can get in a trade of an RFA??

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad