TRADE or KEEP Hronek?

Would you like to trade or keep Hronek?

• Trade

• Keep

Results are only viewable after voting.

NoShowWilly

Apr 4, 2010
North Delta
I'm willing to have him back at a reasonable ticket (6.5m or so on the highend.) . However, my number is a fair bit lower than his rumoured ask. Allvin and Rutherford are rumoured to be ruthless this offseason. I'll let them do their jobs. Their offer is probably closer to mine than his ask.

I'd be surprised to see him traded but the pick currency would allow us to make other moves.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
He's looking to get max contract he can snare in free agency, he's gone. Target Roy, Walker and/or Carrier. Myers will be back.

thecupismine

Apr 1, 2007
If you look at the path the Canucks have to take to go from 2nd round team to contender, it involves at least 2 guys besides Hughes being excellent at transitioning the puck up the ice.

While Hronek wasn't that in the playoffs or for the last 25-30 games of the season, he's likely our most realistic bet to get back to that level. While there are other holes that need to be addressed, moving on puts us right back to where we started before Alvin made the string of moves to revamp the blueline.

Obviously, price is going to be a sticking point, but everything we've heard so far is par for the course. The agent is leaking outrageous numbers to his mouthpiece, which is to be expected. Ideally, given the weak playoffs and the second half stutter, you get him around 7 million with the back half of that contract looking great if he gets back into form.

Finding quality, RHD in their prime years who fit your system and structure is an extremely difficult task, and the Canucks still need one more on top of Hronek. Free agency is going to be even pricier than Hronek, and for 3+ less prime years as well.

archangel2

May 19, 2019
Very good player and was an excellent trade. Just need to use that money to fill other needs on the roster. If we didn’t have Hughes he’d be the number 1 priority. Life in the Salary Cap era, all about Cap and roster management.

I look at the oilers we just beat. While Nurse is paid the most, the combo of Bouchard and Ekholm really carried a few of the games. We need more than Hughes on the back end

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
We gave up a first and second round pick for nothing just like I said at the time. We were NEVER going to be able to re-sign Hronek and that aside, his play was uninspiring

Add that to the mik signing

All that PA touches does not turn to gold

• Haha
Reactions: Huggy43

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
UFA market isn't great. Outside of Tanev, kind of bare bones. Theodore is likely on the trade block in LV. He's a LHD but can play the right side. But, like Hronek, he's also looking for a new deal. He would be 30 when his deal runs out. So, not too inclined to do max term on him either.
It was brought up in another thread but technically the UFA market for Dmen, as it currently my stands, is comparatively decent. Not in the way of prime aged (27-28 years old) guys though. Even our very own Big Z is an UFA

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Hasn't Rutherford's philosophy been to load up on good forwards and scrimp on D-men? So I think Hronek will be traded, which I'm fine with because I do not like his game at all (unless he signs for what he gets now), so I think he gets traded for a cheaper decent defensive right D that can play with Hughes. Zadorov is the one you try and keep, Soucey is still signed at a reasonable 3.25, and Myers should come cheap.

DFAC

Jan 19, 2008
Vancouver

Trade him ASAP

Hasn't Rutherford's philosophy been to load up on good forwards and scrimp on D-men? So I think Hronek will be traded, which I'm fine with because I do not like his game at all (unless he signs for what he gets now), so I think he gets traded for a cheaper decent defensive right D that can play with Hughes. Zadorov is the one you try and keep, Soucey is still signed at a reasonable 3.25, and Myers should come cheap.

Hughes - XXX
Soucy - XXX
Zadorov - Myers
Juulsen

Still need to find 2 top 4 RHD... assuming we can somehow get Tanev we still need a 2nd. Walker?

Hughes - Tanev
Soucy - Walker
Zadorov - Myers
Juulsen

Thoughts?

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
why would you want to keep a player whom is largely ineffective during the post season , what is the rationale on that?

How about we wait to see what he was dealing with injury wise before making huge declarations.

It's been said already by many media members Hronek was basically playing with one arm, might have an impact on his effectiveness.

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
It's one of those things, with the success the team just had, seems eventual that Hronek would be extended. They loved him, targeted him, brought him in. $7.6M X 7YRS.

Let's remind ourselves how muddy the off season is when it comes to swinging creative flip this acquire that player for player trades unless you're the Avs.

Defense partner for Hughes is the franchise priority as much as everyone would love to have Joshua back at a reasonable cap hit.

If I'm not mistaken, he's got 1 year RFA left, this is his last right? Zero chance they do the whole Johnny hockey or whatever it's called RFA roll the dice and figure it out later thing.

rypper

21-12-05 it's finally over.
Dec 22, 2006
Keep him if it's within reason.

He helped elevate Hughes the same way that Hughes boosted his game.

Hronek as number 2 pushes lesser players down to where they belong and they perform better.

Reactions: Brookbank

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
why would you want to keep a player whom is largely ineffective during the post season , what is the rationale on that?
Still have to *MAKE* the post-season before talking about keeping/acquiring so-called "post-season" type of players. No Hronek means even more minutes to guys like Myers (who don't look that bad/out of place in a sheltered role; that ain't possible with not even three other top 4 guys).

Reactions: Brookbank

The Iron Goalie

Formally 'OEL for Norris'
Feb 8, 2012
Langley, BC
How about we wait to see what he was dealing with injury wise before making huge declarations.

It's been said already by many media members Hronek was basically playing with one arm, might have an impact on his effectiveness.
Have they mentioned a timeline for his arm injury? I only ask because his offensive production fell off a cliff after around game 32 (mid Dec). His overall game also started to decline around the new year, so unless he's been hurt that long...his play over the last ~48 regular season games + playoffs is concerning (especially is he's going to be paid more than 7.5M AAV)

1st 33GP - 2G 27A 29PTS (72Pts/82GP pace) 68SOG (2.06shots/GP) +20 rating

Final 48GP - 3G 16A 19PTS (32Pts/82 pace) 80SOG (1.66shots/GP) +13 rating

Playoffs 13GP - 1G 1A 2PTS 13SOG (1shot/GP) -3 rating

Total over final 61GP - 4G 17A 21PTS (28Pts/82GP) 93SOG (1.52shots/GP) and a +10

Flik

Canucks fan for life
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2010
Vancouver, WA

Trade him ASAP

Hughes - XXX
Soucy - XXX
Zadorov - Myers
Juulsen

Still need to find 2 top 4 RHD... assuming we can somehow get Tanev we still need a 2nd. Walker?

Hughes - Tanev
Soucy - Walker
Zadorov - Myers
Juulsen

Thoughts?

LOL get the f*** outta here Hronek. He can get that 8m elsewhere, and have holidays all day.

IComeInPeace

Jun 16, 2009
LA
It was reported yesterday that him and his agent aren’t coming off of the $8 million per ask…

No matter how good a player is, there is always a number at which they aren’t a net positive for the team.

He’s not even in a position to have the nuts to ask for $8 million per if he wasn’t paired with Quinn Hughes.

Did he make Quinn Hughes better?
Yes, for sure he did.

But, the bottom line is that anything approaching $8 million and he will end up hurting us more than he helps.

The problem is how difficult will it be to move a pending RFA with arbitration rights, and a really strong case in arbitration (yes, on paper he will be able to put together a very strong case for himself based upon this last season).

Knowing his ask is $8 million/per and he has arbitration rights, that also hurts his trade value, unless a sign and trade can be worked out.

The people thinking we should be able to sign him for 6.5 million aren’t being realistic at all. In a vaccuum perhaps that’s what his on ice value is closer to, however there is a larger picture that you can’t just ignore: RHD’s cost more, and pending free agents coming off of career seasons cost even more.

I hate saying this but I’d at least consider a sign and trade if he can bring some decent assets back to us AND if you’re really confident that based upon the last season Willander could be a really nice fit with Hughes in 2 seasons.

…I’d then go hard at signing Tanev as a UFA to pair with Hughes next season.

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
If a team is willing to pay Hronek 8, they are willing to give up a 1st plus to get him. In that case, trade him.

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
Wonder if he really Klingberg's himself here. I don't see many teams itching to roll the dice on an 8 mil term deal for a 2nd pairing defenseman.

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Depends on the number he's asking. I have the opinion that anything above $6 mill, you expect that player to anchor a D pairing.
That was the disappointment in Myers, and probably Schmidt as well for their respective cap hits.
He led the team in 5/5 ice time. Which made the rest of the D look better with less ice time.

We will probably bridge him and then he will go full Erhoff and then we are really screwed. D men peak later and Hronek isn't at his peak yet.

I'd rather sign him for 5-6 years at 7.5 instead.

If a team is willing to pay Hronek 8, they are willing to give up a 1st plus to get him. In that case, trade him.
And then look to sign Ethan Bear or what ?

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022

Trade him ASAP

Hughes - XXX
Soucy - XXX
Zadorov - Myers
Juulsen

Hughes - Tanev
Soucy - Walker
Zadorov - Myers
Juulsen

Thoughts?

You say we need to trade Hronek asap over a million and change cap and in the same breath , say that we need to acquire not one but 2 RHD. Thats insane.

valkynax

The LEEDAR
Sponsor
May 19, 2011
Burnaby
Filip, looking at your playoff performance, do you really think you're worth 8 million?

Do you REALLY think 8 million AAV is reasonable?

Reactions: David71

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad