HF Habs: Trade Proposal Thread #87: 2024 Season Finale

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I am a fan of trying to acquire Zegras (same as I was and still am with Dubois) but I'm not desperate. I want to capitalize on buy low (like Dach).
Dubois? Shots fired!

Snipers at the ready for yet another PLD love fest. Or … preferably not.

Really curious as to whether the Kings will buy him out, assuming the playoff timeline allows it.

Reactions: Benstheman

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Dubois? Shots fired!

Snipers at the ready for yet another PLD love fest. Or … preferably not.

Really curious as to whether the Kings will buy him out, assuming the playoff timeline allows it.

I think the Dubois talk is noise. Fans/media jumping on someone when their are down. Not impossible but you never know... but I don't think they are going to buy him out. I hope they do and we get him for 4 years at $4M or less.

Inconsistent yes. Frustrating yes. However, his game shows when he is playing with talent. Any team adding him and then managing him to lead a line by himself is just stupid. He's a power forward for me that can play center.

Reactions: kinghock

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
PLD talk should be dead, HE is not coming here at all.

Not dead. Sorry. If you are tired of talking about it, don't fuel it.

* Buy out and Habs sign him for free on a team friendly deal? Possible but not likely. How disappointed are they with him after one year? :dunno:

* Trade? Also not likely. But if the Kings want to get in serious talks. Anderson, Gallagher, and a B+ prospect but Dubois comes with retention down to $7.5M and also a Kings 1st in one of 25 or 26. Tough price to pay but that's our price (my price anyways).

My gut tells me the Kings will try to manage it better next year but it might be too late. Dubois has wanted to play for the Habs for a long time now and thought he would like it in LA. LA offering the pieces required for the Jets and also the contract he couldn't' say no. Probably knew the Habs would not offer him more than Suzuki.

Dubois may be content now to just coast. Already got his guaranteed money. Doubt the Kings are going to get the best out of him.

sampollock

Jun 7, 2008
in my home

* Buy out and Habs sign him for free on a team friendly deal? Possible but not likely. How disappointed are they with him after one year? :dunno:

* Trade? Also not likely. But if the Kings want to get in serious talks. Anderson, Gallagher, and a B+ prospect but Dubois comes with retention down to $7.5M and also a Kings 1st in one of 25 or 26. Tough price to pay but that's our price (my price anyways).

My gut tells me the Kings will try to manage it better next year but it might be too late. Dubois has wanted to play for the Habs for a long time now and thought he would like it in LA. LA offering the pieces required for the Jets and also the contract he couldn't' say no. Probably knew the Habs would not offer him more than Suzuki.

Dubois may be content now to just coast. Already got his guaranteed money. Doubt the Kings are going to get the best out of him.
I am not fueling it, read the posts above??
I just answered my thoughts as are you now.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

:deadhorse

• Haha
Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
It's like Elvis, some people just can't let it go.

One thing I learned is life is never say never. It's OK to talk about possibilities. The entire trade proposal thread narrative or creation is built from guesses/general conversations.

However, the things that usually happen are the ones that are not talked about as an idea on these boards. Like Dach for example.

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Tampa/Nashville trade is interesting. The value is decent and McDonagh was very good last year but it's weird to bring a guy back after salary dumping him two years ago, and odd to me that they'd bring him in when they already have Sergachev 8.5, Cernak 5.2, and now McDonagh 6.875 signed for 25-26 with Hedman needing a new contract that year. Creates some cap pressure this year too, they're around 5M and need to sign 3-4 forwards, another D, and a backup G, so they're likely going to have cut some salary elsewhere.

Is there a chance they're going to move Cernak or Cirelli? The value here in terms of the acquisition price makes sense for Tampa but now they're in a tough spot under the cap.

Pat Riot

Sep 30, 2017
Tampa/Nashville trade is interesting. The value is decent and McDonagh was very good last year but it's weird to bring a guy back after salary dumping him two years ago, and odd to me that they'd bring him in when they already have Sergachev 8.5, Cernak 5.2, and now McDonagh 6.875 signed for 25-26 with Hedman needing a new contract that year. Creates some cap pressure this year too, they're around 5M and need to sign 3-4 forwards, another D, and a backup G, so they're likely going to have cut some salary elsewhere.

Is there a chance they're going to move Cernak or Cirelli? The value here in terms of the acquisition price makes sense for Tampa but now they're in a tough spot under the cap.

Maybe they plan their salary cap knowing the wont resign Stamkos.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

Probably just means Stamkos is gone. Hard to see a Cirelli trade that works and Cernak has full trade protection, they'd get killed in a trade including him.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

salbutera

Sep 10, 2019
Brisebois said at end of year presser, he wanted to improve top-4D. UFA signing would’ve likely meant more than 2-year term McDonagh has left.

Reactions: Scintillating10

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
Who says he has no interest in extending him?

The fact that they had a pretty rough contract battle when he was up after his ELC and they only signed him to a bridge deal. They had no desire to go long term with him because they aren't convinced on him at all, probably feel very good about that decision as those concerns proved true this season and why they are probably looking to get him out this year before his value takes another hit next season when those opportunities to produce become even more limited as the players that are better than him on the team continue to grow and Gauthier comes in.

JRichard

Jul 7, 2021
Crazy, Guhle is already better than Zegras. 5OA gives you opportunity to draft better with better profile than Zegras, both Lindstrom or Iginla better elements to winning team than Zegras play on periphery.
Zegras was no9 in his draft year for a reason and even in a re-draft he might still go 9th.
9 th oa « for a reason ». Guhle picked 16th for no reason.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
9 th oa « for a reason ». Guhle picked 16th for no reason.

That doesn't mean anything today. Those were guesses based on their age 15-17/18 years. Most of the growth from top players in the NHL comes from 18-20+.

Never pick someone who is the best on draft day. Pick the guy who is the best from age 20+.

Reactions: salbutera

Leon Lucius Black

Nov 5, 2007
If Tampa are looking to clear space, I wouldn't mind taking Jeannot as a cap dump along with a pick.

If he rebounds and has a decent year, GMs are always looking to overpay for toughness in their bottom six at the deadline so we can add another pick.

If he continues to suck, he at least can add some toughness/physicality to the lineup so Xhekaj doesn't have to be the only guy to fight.

Reactions: Pat Riot

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
The fact that they had a pretty rough contract battle when he was up after his ELC and they only signed him to a bridge deal. They had no desire to go long term with him because they aren't convinced on him at all, probably feel very good about that decision as those concerns proved true this season and why they are probably looking to get him out this year before his value takes another hit next season when those opportunities to produce become even more limited as the players that are better than him on the team continue to grow and Gauthier comes in.
True They gave Terry 7 million long term at the same time and he did not have the potential of. Zegras. I would take that as a lack of confidence in Zegras. Whether it was a smart move or Verbeek is an idiot is yet to be determined. But if the Habs show interest then it proves Verbeek is an idiot.
And Zegras should want out asap unless Verbeek is gone.

BoneHutson

Mar 26, 2023
Im surprised no one suggested OS Mercer yet… If NJ acquires an expensive 1G + sign a couple of FA expecting to bridge Mercer past July 1st? He might become a prime 6m/2y OA candidate. You add him + Demidov or Lindstrom and that top 9 is starting to look legit.

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Im surprised no one suggested OS Mercer yet… If NJ acquires an expensive 1G + sign a couple of FA expecting to bridge Mercer past July 1st? He might become a prime 6m/2y OA candidate. You add him + Demidov or Lindstrom and that top 9 is starting to look legit.
Why would NJ sign FA's?

JoelWarlord

May 7, 2012
Halifax
Brisebois said at end of year presser, he wanted to improve top-4D. UFA signing would’ve likely meant more than 2-year term McDonagh has left.
Yes, but it could have meant getting a better player too (Pesce specifically). Term shouldn't really matter much for Tampa as they only have a few more kicks at the can left anyway, and adding McDonagh still means that they'll have 3 expensive dmen under contract the same year they need to extend Hedman.

I don't mind this move in isolation as McDonagh is still good but it's weird in context of their cap situation since it means they'll likely have to move on from at least one of Stamkos, Cirelli, or Cernak and IMO it's not worth adding McDonagh if it means you have to do that.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad