GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

LeafsOHLRangers98

Jun 13, 2017
I mean, Vegas had a huge defense and won last year. I don't think single playoff sample sizes mean much either way. Our defense sucked when it was big and it sucked when it was small.
Boston made thw finals with 3 D under 5'11" and 2 over 6'5 lol size of the defense doesn't matter, just get better players back there.

Reactions: namttebih

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Harder than you think, you want a good 2C your going to have to trade for one and that's going to cost plenty

We're talking young roster players, prospects and picks

Makes a 70 point Tavares and his 11M look a little more attractive doesn't it?
Not for nothing but he had 65 pts and 2pts in 7 games in the playoffs. While he had some moments this year, he has been declining and I dont see that slowing down.

La isn't trading Clatke, Seattle isn't trading Wrighy
For marner they would

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Dylan Strome
Vinny Trochek

2Cs recently who changed teams and make a lot less than 11M and are better players than Tavaares

RoR makes 4.5M and gave 65 pts. Better player then Tavares

Chandler Stephenson will be a UFA and should get 6-7M and is younger and bettrr than Tavares

Max Domi last year alone was better than tavares just didny get PP1 time. He was ahead of JT in the playoffs as a center

Replacing Tavares is not that hard. A lot of options via trade and a few via UFA. Issue is moving tavares out

The only guy on that list who is actually better than JT right now is Trochek, and Rags paid a lot to get him.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
I dont think defense was an issue for us this year. It was one of our biggest strengths against the bruins.

Yes they a part of problem, the fact leafs played the trap in neutrzl zone and didn't had really d involved except couple of time a game.

Watch exemple florida, why they had much more succes to score vs Boston, Montpur, ekblad, forsling... are constantly involve in the offensive end and that's creating confusion. Defensive system are now to goos just to hope having succes offensively only with your foward group.

When you don't have the tool for it and just playing the safe game, you've get the result coming with

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
The only guy on that list who is actually better than JT right now is Trochek, and Rags paid a lot to get him.
I would take Strome, Domi and Stephenson over tavares any day

All are better players who arent as reliant on his wingers to be effective

Trochek also makes 5.625M. He makes very little

Ryan Hartman, Elias Lindholm, William Karlsson are potential options who are better than Tavares (hartman is probably not but is younger and a lot cheaper + has had chemistry with dynamic wingers before) who we could target

Dealing tavares and getting a 5-6M 2C is just a no brainer. His NMC does screw us, so he stays a leaf 1 more year. After this he should be given the boot and never play for the leafs again

Reactions: Gabriel426

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
At the right price, he should be considered to brought back. At <$3 mil, he'd be a quality 3rd liner for a couple of years.
I doubt he takes that low. Probabky wants 5M or so

I would consider below 3M, as long as we dont gift him PP1 time. Our 2C brought in slots ahead of tavares overall on pecking order and he can be a 3C who gives 40-50 pts with easier usage at 3ishM

Reactions: Gabriel426

myleafs

May 25, 2021
At the right price, he should be considered to brought back. At <$3 mil, he'd be a quality 3rd liner for a couple of years.
Ive been against re-signing Tavares at any cost but if he would sign for 3 or less with no nmc and he is placed on the 3rd line and 2nd pp unit I could maybe get on board with that. He does still offer some value if used properly. Under Keefe I dont think he would use him right but lets see what Berube does with him. However if he falls off a cliff this year which is a possibility then he can leave.

Reactions: hamzarocks

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
I doubt he takes that low. Probabky wants 5M or so

I would consider below 3M, as long as we dont gift him PP1 time. Our 2C brought in slots ahead of tavares overall on pecking order and he can be a 3C who gives 40-50 pts with easier usage at 3ishM
Personally, I think he values staying in a place where his kids can grow up around both sets of grandparents, and his wife can continue her job in the medical field. He will have made over $100 mil, so I doubt that the extra couple of mil will matter that much at this point.

If it were me negotiating, I'd ask him what he needs to stay, and hope he actually low balls himself pretty significantly, for the chance to stay, and a better chance to spend cap elsewhere and actually win something. If it's over $3 mil, just say, sorry, we can't do that, and move on... then he can decide if he wants to lower his ask, or move on, and I'm fine with either.

Ive been against re-signing Tavares at any cost but if he would sign for 3 or less with no nmc and he is placed on the 3rd line and 2nd pp unit I could maybe get on board with that. He does still offer some value if used properly. Under Keefe I dont think he would use him right but lets see what Berube does with him. However if he falls off a cliff this year which is a possibility then he can leave.
He signs at less than $3mil, to stay near the grandparents, and his wife's job... there will still be a NMC. He signs for less, to have security of raising his family here.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
The UFA list is pretty thin.
Still better than having 11mil tied to JT.
Stephenson, Lindholm, Duchene, Monaghan and Henrique might not be as sexy or big a name as JT but don’t think their production on the ice is that far off from JT and don’t think they cost 11mil.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
We need to have a competent 2nd PP unit, and Tavares on a sweetheart contract, playing 3C, and anchoring the net-front on PP2 would be a solid move, IMO

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
We need to have a competent 2nd PP unit, and Tavares on a sweetheart contract, playing 3C, and anchoring the net-front on PP2 would be a solid move, IMO
If JT signs for around 2mil a year, I will still be hesitant to extend him bc I just don’t know when he is mature enough to know that choking and playing bad are not lessons anymore.

ErnieLeafs

Apr 7, 2009
If JT signs for around 2mil a year, I will still be hesitant to extend him bc I just don’t know when he is mature enough to know that choking and playing bad are not lessons anymore.
You're taking those words way too seriously. They can't be brutally honest, and have to give answers. He's being diplomatic, no matter how tone deaf it was.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
You're taking those words way too seriously. They can't be brutally honest, and have to give answers. He's being diplomatic, no matter how tone deaf it was.
Actions speak louder than words.
His action sucks.
It is time to just realise that JT is not the right leader for the Leafs and it is better for both to part ways, the sooner the better.

Fogelhund

Sep 15, 2007
His action sucks.
It is time to just realise that JT is not the right leader for the Leafs and it is better for both to part ways, the sooner the better.

Clearly he wouldn’t be the “leader” under such circumstances. In a lesser role, at a lesser cost, he is still useful. To ignore this is foolish.

keonsbitterness

Sep 14, 2010
south of Steeles
His action sucks.
We'll see a year from now if the Leafs still see value in him. If they bring him back, I hope it's only 1-2 years @ $3m maximum. Unlike seven years ago, the Leafs will have all the leverage with JT. Use it.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Clearly he wouldn’t be the “leader” under such circumstances. In a lesser role, at a lesser cost, he is still useful. To ignore this is foolish.
He will always be the leader even without the C as he is a veteran.
He will still score but he can’t play defence like a solid 3C and he will need shelter minutes.

Evilhomer

Oct 10, 2019
I think someone here said it at one point, but the Leafs have basically become the "safe" organization. Whether GM, coach or players, their approach for the most part seems to be getting the biggest, or maybe safest is the better word, "names" available and ensuring that risk is minimized at all turns. Trading Marner would be a move filled with risk, so it will be interesting to see if they are willing to do that.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
We'll see a year from now if the Leafs still see value in him. If they bring him back, I hope it's only 1-2 years @ $3m maximum. Unlike seven years ago, the Leafs will have all the leverage with JT. Use it.
lol when i read this I got ptsd....leafs and using their leverage....what a thought

He will always be the leader even without the C as he is a veteran.
He will still score but he can’t play defence like a solid 3C and he will need shelter minutes.
nah....honest effort kind of guy does not equal leader

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad