GDT: Trades & Free Agency -- Off-season edition

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Possibly, I have no idea of the value of Askarov so I didn't want to get greedy expecting/asking for a first.

Make this trade on CapFriendly...then trade Kampf, Jarnkrok and (maybe Liljegren) and see any you can do with this roster. Here is a quick one I just did. This roster has $8M left to spend.View attachment 874094
I'd be awfully worried about that team being able to score. You have Holmberg playing a significant offensive role, Robertson in elevated matchups, one defenseman on the roster who has eclipsed 30 points before.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
I'd be awfully worried about that team being able to score. You have Holmberg playing a significant offensive role, Robertson in elevated matchups, one defenseman on the roster who has eclipsed 30 points before.
The F group looks a lot better as

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Tomasino
Knies-Tavares-Mcmann
Robby-Domi-Nylander
Dewar-Holmberg-Cowan

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
The F group looks a lot better as

Bertuzzi-Matthews-Tomasino
Knies-Tavares-Mcmann
Robby-Domi-Nylander
Dewar-Holmberg-Cowan
It does - I'm a believer in Tomasino but I don't know if he can be a 1st line facilitator the way Domi and Marner have been. I'd be worried about what you do if Tomasino can't hold on to the puck in top pairing matchups. I'd think the lines below would have a better chance of success:

Domi-Matthews-Bertuzzi
Knies-X-Nylander
McMann-Tavares-Tomasino
Dewar-Holmberg-X

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021

Fair, but here are some counter points.

(1) This team was one goal away from being the top scoring team in the NHL last year. Maybe they can afford to score a few less goals?

(2) Marner being traded creates opportunity for others. Domi playing with Matthews all year? Bertuzzi more comfortable riding shotgun for Matthew and Domi for a full season? Knies getting PP time? McMann for a full year? Cowan? Robertson and Holmberg growing and improving?

(3) Our defense is vastly superior to last year and fewer goals against might be a good trade off on the potential for scoring a few less goals...maybe.

(4) Did I mention this roster has $8M in space? Add Montour if you want. Add a centre.

That's the point, lots of cap space and roster flexibility and Cowan, Askarov, Minten, Niemela, Hildeby, Grebenkin, 1st Round Picks, and more cap space with Tavares coming off next year.

4thline

Jul 18, 2014
Waterloo
It does - I'm a believer in Tomasino but I don't know if he can be a 1st line facilitator the way Domi and Marner have been. I'd be worried about what you do if Tomasino can't hold on to the puck in top pairing matchups.
I think thats a risk you can take in October, the payoff would be worth some growing pains. Plus the old willy styles to 1RW insurance policy would leave one of Domi and Tomasino to distribute on each of the other lines

Americanadian

Sep 11, 2016
Michigan
Fair, but here are some counter points.

(1) This team was one goal away from being the top scoring team in the NHL last year. Maybe they can afford to score a few less goals?

(2) Marner being traded creates opportunity for others. Domi playing with Matthews all year? Bertuzzi more comfortable riding shotgun for Matthew and Domi for a full season? Knies getting PP time? McMann for a full year? Cowan? Robertson and Holmberg growing and improving?

(3) Our defense is vastly superior to last year and fewer goals against might be a good trade off on the potential for scoring a few less goals...maybe.

(4) Did I mention this roster has $8M in space? Add Montour if you want. Add a centre.

That's the point, lots of cap space and roster flexibility and Cowan, Askarov, Minten, Niemela, Hildeby, Grebenkin, 1st Round Picks, and more cap space with Tavares coming off next year.
I am in full agreement that they can afford to score less so long as they let in less. I just don't see the goals on the proposed roster. My only real gripe is Holmberg as Nylander's C and I don't believe there's a C in free agency who will be both good and not overpaid. Maybe Tomasino can play C for Nylander though.

Reactions: Anthrax442

belair

Balls On The Crest
Apr 9, 2010
Canada
I'd hate that deal tbh. Bura makes a lot, isn't physical and coming off a bad year, and we're already stacked on the wing. Ty Nelson was a 3rd round pick and I don't think he's done anything to raise his stock. And Wright is an enigma, I think he's much more likely to be a bust than a star.

If we're dealing with Seattle, I think names like Dunn, Penny's brother and Larsson would be of interest.
Fair.

I'd say using Burakovsky like Colorado did would pay dividends. He produces with elite talent and possesses a lot of footspeed. Minus Marner I think the Leafs are short on bodies that have that higher end scoring potential. And Bura would be a guy who fills that hole while facilitating that deal financially.

Doubtful you'd be getting either part of Seattle's top pairing. There's no immediate replacement for either of them. And Oleksiak makes little sense for Toronto considering age and their current depth chart.

I think Wright would fit the bill for Toronto as that big name right shot C. Trending well as a responsible two way forward with a high offensive ceiling.

Nelson, I added because he's got a pretty realistic NHL trajectory knowing the prospect very well. His offensive game didn't pop as he aged, but he became very responsible defensively and was a leader on a team that made three straight Conference Finals.

This trade doesn't take into account what you'd be able to add in the offseason. It just checks a lot of boxes for where I feel Toronto should be addressing in a trade where they move a large part of their team's persona.

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
If you're dealing Marner a good young cost controlled top 6 winger isn't bad as part of the return

You still need to replace Marner in the lineup, especially offensively

I'd prefer a center but you can make a winger work if he's a part of the deal, he just can't be the premier piece imo

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
I can't believe this Saros talk

He's a 30 year old goaltender who needs a wracking great payrise after next season

He will be 31 years old, then what happens if Woll has a good year next season solidifying himself as the starter of the future, or Hildeby has a strong season and looks ready to step up?

The last thing your going to want is a high priced older goalie blocking them so he'd either walk or you get a low pick from somebody so they can talk to him

That's your Marner return, that would be worse than the Kadri return

We need young cost controlled players and prospects that can play center and defense, that should be our main focus with a pick or two thrown in but defense and centers first

What if Hidelby doesn't? If he does, we can deal with that problem later

Saros is a very good bet to be a great goalie year in year out. Very much like Tim Thomas. He's been very durable throughout his career

Bobroviski signed that deal with Florida when he was 30
Belfour signed with us when 36
Cujo signed with us when he was 31

It's easy to get lost in the top 3 Russians. Vasi, Sorotkin and Shes who are all under 28

Rinne played for Nashville until he was 38
Thomas until he was 41
Luoungo until 37
Price was 34

They all performed high level at their respective age

Saros will be a home run hit

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
If you're dealing Marner a good young cost controlled top 6 winger isn't bad as part of the return

You still need to replace Marner in the lineup, especially offensively

I'd prefer a center but you can make a winger work if he's a part of the deal, he just can't be the premier piece imo

I think we're pretty set on the wing tbh, even without Bertuzzi and Mitch. Domi will be re-signed, so we could be looking at Knies (in Bert's role) and Domi flanking AM, and Mcmann and Willy flanking JT. Then we still have Robertson, Jarn, probably Cowan as middle 6 guys. And Dewar, Pontus as options on the wing. Plus if we find a #2 C, maybe JT finally moves to the wing. And Minten might start on the wing as well, as sometimes rookie centres do. Plus there's that Russian kid we signed and need to make room in the top 9 for.

It's the least important position and the one we're most stacked on.

Reactions: Kiwi

conFABulator

Apr 11, 2021
I am in full agreement that they can afford to score less so long as they let in less. I just don't see the goals on the proposed roster. My only real gripe is Holmberg as Nylander's C and I don't believe there's a C in free agency who will be both good and not overpaid. Maybe Tomasino can play C for Nylander though.
Yeah. I have hope there is some untapped potential in Holmberg and as a result I may place him too high in my line ups. I feel like he could have some chemistry with Willy. It is a weak spot in the line-up, but may still do very well with third line match ups.

Maybe we sign Monahan as a stop gap, overpaid for one year? Or we could trade for a centre given that we would have our picks, prospects and cap space.

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
Yeah. I have hope there is some untapped potential in Holmberg and as a result I may place him too high in my line ups. I feel like he could have some chemistry with Willy. It is a weak spot in the line-up, but may still do very well with third line match ups.

Maybe we sign Monahan as a stop gap, overpaid for one year? Or we could trade for a centre given that we would have our picks, prospects and cap space.

If Mitch is moved, I'd love to sign Lindholm. He seems to raise his game in the playoffs, both in terms of physicality and goal-scoring. And defensively, obviously 1-2 of Matthews and he would be amazing.

Reactions: LeafSteel

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
If Mitch is moved, I'd love to sign Lindholm. He seems to raise his game in the playoffs, both in terms of physicality and goal-scoring. And defensively, obviously 1-2 of Matthews and he would be amazing.

He went from an 8 million player to a 6 million dollar this year
Responsible player who can contribute. A bit vanilla sometimes

Not sure what he's asking in the market. He's definitely not a 8 million per year for me
At best, 6 for 5 years

Kurtz

Jul 17, 2005
He went from an 8 million player to a 6 million dollar this year
Responsible player who can contribute. A bit vanilla sometimes

Not sure what he's asking in the market. He's definitely not a 8 million per year for me
At best, 6 for 5 years

He did redeem himself a little bit in the playoffs. I'd consider going as high as 7 - I think that's reasonable for a #2 centre.

Reactions: fahad203

Rielly4

Dec 12, 2012
1D, 2C, 3D, 2G....We need all these positions badly. Might even need a 3C too depending on what happens with JT. You either need to get a 1D in the Marner trade or get a 2C and a 3D.

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
That McDonaugh deal is the type of trades we should be looking at to fill some holes rather than relying on free agents.
You get shorter term with less risk and don’t need to overpay as much. Plus the acquisition cost is relatively small.

I still advocate Whitecloud out of Vegas to buy them some cap space. Maybe Risto with retention from Philly for cheap. Fowler?

Kiwi

Mar 5, 2016
The Naki
What if Hidelby doesn't? If he does, we can deal with that problem later

Saros is a very good bet to be a great goalie year in year out. Very much like Tim Thomas. He's been very durable throughout his career

Bobroviski signed that deal with Florida when he was 30
Belfour signed with us when 36
Cujo signed with us when he was 31

It's easy to get lost in the top 3 Russians. Vasi, Sorotkin and Shes who are all under 28

Rinne played for Nashville until he was 38
Thomas until he was 41
Luoungo until 37
Price was 34

They all performed high level at their respective age

Saros will be a home run hit

Are you Jedi? I'm going to be honest and say I'm not betting huge money on a 31 year old goaltender long term because your horoscope says so

Also what if Woll or Hildeby does take the job? You've just pissed away Marners return

I think we're pretty set on the wing tbh, even without Bertuzzi and Mitch. Domi will be re-signed, so we could be looking at Knies (in Bert's role) and Domi flanking AM, and Mcmann and Willy flanking JT. Then we still have Robertson, Jarn, probably Cowan as middle 6 guys. And Dewar, Pontus as options on the wing. Plus if we find a #2 C, maybe JT finally moves to the wing. And Minten might start on the wing as well, as sometimes rookie centres do. Plus there's that Russian kid we signed and need to make room in the top 9 for.

It's the least important position and the one we're most stacked on.

I agree, I'd have centers and defenseman as my primary targets but if there's a good young winger in the mix, especially if he has a bit of size I wouldn't turn my nose up at him

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
He did redeem himself a little bit in the playoffs. I'd consider going as high as 7 - I think that's reasonable for a #2 centre.
I think we should be in on chandler Stephenson as our 2c with nylander and see if we can flip Marner for she's Theodore and Roy. That'd be a chefs kiss scenario.

Reactions: TMLAM34 and Kurtz

fahad203

Oct 3, 2009
Are you Jedi? I'm going to be honest and say I'm not betting huge money on a 31 year old goaltender long term because your horoscope says so

Also what if Woll or Hildeby does take the job? You've just pissed away Marners return

I agree, I'd have centers and defenseman as my primary targets but if there's a good young winger in the mix, especially if he has a bit of size I wouldn't turn my nose up at him
You don't have to be Jedi to apply some common sense

Most star goalies has had longevity. Even lundqvist played up to 37

How many more examples do you need?

Woll is fragile and super inconsistent. Hidelby hasn't played a single game in NHL

If you can get a vezina nominated goalie, go get that goalie.

See Rangers, Panthers and Dallas where goalies get you

Vasi tool Tampa to 3 Stanly cup finals

One area we been lacking for 20 years

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
Man this free agency is so interesting. Like say we trade Marner to Nash for just a f*** ton of picks and sign Reinhart to a 10m extension...

And i know the four guys that make the most are still on your offense but I'm just saying there are so. Many options.

So many ways the leafs can have a home run off an off season. Guys like necas Lindholm Stephenson Reinhart all available in Ufa or via trades, and then there's a glut of top 3 dmen in free agency. Just a really good year to make drastic changes.

Reactions: Pinto

WillNy29

Jun 20, 2018
That is what happens when you go from a GM that builds from the net out to a GM that flies by the seat of his pants. Sparks, Hutch, Rittich, Soup, Murray, Sammy.
didnt that GM trade a first round pick to bring us the greatest choking goalie of the decade in Andersen??

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
What do you guys think of a return of Andre Burakovsky, Shane Wright and Ty Nelson for Marner?

Burakovsky would be a guy that would probably sweeten the return from Seattle's perspective just becauseit frees up some long-term cap for them. Had an off year, but he's a legitimate top six winger with a lot of Stanley Cup experience and production.

That deal would open an extra ~$5m of flexibility this summer and it'd give you an exciting young NHL ready blue chip in Shane Wright and a potential Ryan Ellis clone in a few years with Nelson.

Fun idea for a quick retool.
I dont know anything about Ty Nelson but Wright and Burakovsky are good pieces

I would ask first if Seattle would do 8th OA + Larsson/Borgen instead of Wright+Burakovsky instead?

either of those 2 packages would be good for marner and then use capspace savings to address 2C or 2LW (ideally domi + bert come back at 4ishM each as well)

Assuming the proposed trade happened:

Bert - Matthews - Domi
Knies - XXX - Nylander
Robertson - Wright - Burakovsky
Jarknkrok - Kampf - Reeves

Rielly - XXX
McCabe - XXX
Benoit - Lilijgren

XXX
Woll

2C in worst case scenerio is Tavares. In best case scenerio he waives his NMC and goes for a 3rd to blackhawks and leafs then are aggresive on UFA market

Can add a Skeji + Montour + Stephenson to above lineup.

If Cowan makes the team then I would deal Jarnkrok and start Cowan at 4th line with PK and PP2 time.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad