OT: TV thread

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009
I am nearing the end of Barry. It’s a good show with a nice mix of humor and drama. I actively miss Succession. God it was so dark and funny. No wonder it was a critical sensation.

Now as for why I am on my second rewatch of Gilmore Girls? I don’t know why but I’m enjoying it for sure.

• Haha
Reactions: PlayMakers

smithformeragent

Sep 22, 2005
Milford, NH
Megan just asked me how many Star Trek series exist.

1689527277988.png

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
If you are a political history buff with a taste for science fiction/time travel/what might have been, plus a sucker for the sentimental, check the well-cast, meticulous period detail of

Yes, the usual Stephen King business (want a list?), but worth viewing.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
If you are a political history buff with a taste for science fiction/time travel/what might have been, plus a sucker for the sentimental, check the well-cast, meticulous period detail of

Yes, the usual Stephen King business (want a list?), but worth viewing.

I thoroughly enjoyed this. However, I did see it before Mr. Franco's recent fall from grace, and would understand one choosing not to give him the clicks.

Reactions: GordonHowe

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
I thoroughly enjoyed this. However, I did see it before Mr. Franco's recent fall from grace, and would understand one choosing not to give him the clicks.

It's too bad. I really liked him in that role.

Haven't seen much of Franco beyond this. Great fan of Freaks and Geeks when it aired, for a single season, many moons ago.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I'm sure it's his age but Patrick Stewart's voice is rather hoarse these days.

Next Gen is my favorite, and I liked Voyager and Enterprise.

The rest... I don't need yet another "origin story" about Spock or whatever. It ain't worth my time.
I think his age/health took a turn filming season 2. His speech started to get a bit slurred. They seem to have adjusted his role in season 3 and it works well.

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
I am nearing the end of Barry. It’s a good show with a nice mix of humor and drama. I actively miss Succession. God it was so dark and funny. No wonder it was a critical sensation.

Now as for why I am on my second rewatch of Gilmore Girls? I don’t know why but I’m enjoying it for sure.
I think I'm going to start Sucession tonight.

GordonHowe

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 21, 2005
Watertown, Massachusetts
You didn't like it? I don't know anything about the show.
Oh, it's a very good show.

Well cast, well written, and true to the subject. Which, if you didn't know, centers on corporate sharks and obscenely wealthy people doing obscenely awful things to one another. Especially those who call themselves a family.

To me - to me - The sopranos, breaking bad, etc. As good as they were, traffic in soap opera. For a dope like me, that's pretty much what they are. I'm lazy, and I bore easily.

I didn't want to ruin it for you or anyone else. You may well love it.

I would rather watch a harmless situation comedy like Frasier or Seinfeld. I'm aware that both are over 20 years old. But, in addition to following current events, domestic and foreign policy, what's going on here in town, etc I prefer to relax with something harmless and pleasant.

But, that's me.

I hope you enjoy succession, and please report going forward. If you get to the final episode, let us know what you think.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gordoff

PlayMakers

Aug 9, 2004
Medfield, MA
www.medpuck.com
Oh, it's a very good show.

Well cast, well written, and true to the subject. Which, if you didn't know, centers on corporate sharks and obscenely wealthy people doing obscenely awful things to one another. Especially those who call themselves a family.

To me - to me - The sopranos, breaking bad, etc. As good as they were, traffic in soap opera. For a dope like me, that's pretty much what they are. I'm lazy, and I bore easily.

I would rather watch a harmless situation comedy like Frasier or Seinfeld. I'm aware that both are over 20 years old. But, in addition to following current events, domestic and foreign policy, what's going on here in town, etc I prefer to relax with something harmless and pleasant.

But, that's me.

I hope you enjoy succession, and please report going forward. If you get to the final episode, let us know what you think.
I have a limit on soap opera type shows too. I enjoyed Breaking Bad to a point. Ditto for the Walking Dead. I'd like to finish them, but when the personal drama gets thick I get bored.

Gordon Lightfoot

Hey Dotcom. Nice to meet you.
Sponsor
Feb 3, 2009

But, that's me.

i think you should watch Superstore. One of my favorite comedies of the last ten years.

quietbruinfan

Salt and light
Feb 2, 2022
Land of Nod in the East of Eden
There is an interesting discussion here. I agree with Gordon somewhat. Even more than Soap opera, or space opera, or sitcom, I like formula. I find it comforting to predict what will happen to a point or in comedy to get the joke. I take it to ridiculous extremes a la' the The Wild Wild West though.

Btw I will never get Seinfeld....something about it just leaves me totally cold even when I get the set-up(s) and the joke(s). If it is any comfort, I think I am the only one who feels that way about the show.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad