OT: UEFA EURO 2020 (2021)

Who wins EURO 2020 (2021)?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
I mean, Vancouver tried to burn down their city in 2011...Montreal burned a cop car like 3 weeks after beating Vegas

not sure what these 1 min videos prove other than this sort of thing happens everywhere

How many Bruins and Lightning fans were assaulted?

Edit: I laughed watching Vancouver burn itself down (and then blame it on “outsiders”). Toronto also embarrassed itself after the Raptors win. But I don’t recall any mass assaults of opposing team fans like here

Reactions: oilers'72

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
That said, it’s not isolated to England. Soccer fans can be crazy.

Hockey fans too, but we usually limit ourselves to riots and don’t cross into brawling with opposing fans.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
who knows, maybe they wasn't caught on video
you naïve enough to think this is exclusive to one country?
I’d say soccer fans in general (not limited to one country) are probably the craziest out of all the sports. Riots, brawling with other fans, burning down the stadium, intense nationalism and sometimes racism.

Other sports fanbases are probably guilty of a few of those, but not all of the above, and not to the same extent as soccer fans.

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011

Never said it was exclusive to one country, don’t put words in my mouth. But there are some that take it to further extremes than others. England is of course, one of them

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
Never said it was exclusive to one country, don’t put words in my mouth. But there are some that take it to further extremes than others. England is of course, one of them
It’s no different than a couple of Oilers “fans”ripping Ethan Bear and calling him racist remarks after Game 4 against the Jets
A few bad apples do not represent the fan base

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
It’s no different than a couple of Oilers “fans”ripping Ethan Bear and calling him racist remarks after Game 4 against the Jets
A few bad apples do not represent the fan base

It’s one thing to be an anonymous coward online and another to physically assault other people. I guess we can applaud England fans for being ‘brave’ in addition to making racist remarks?

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Stop fighting you two. Caroline Szwed would not be amused.

CAROLINE-SZWED.jpg

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
If you sail the ball over the goal it has less to do with hitting it hard and more to do with either leaning too far back or striking the ball too low and maybe both, I know this because I have 2 kids in soccer and both can absolutely crush the ball for their ages. I know a good bit about shooting for power, height, etc. as I researched a lot on how to hone their skills. My oldest shoots so hard that his teammates won't even let him take penalties in practice. In the English player's case he likely planted his left (plant foot) facing the wrong way or simply overthought it and went for a perfect shot instead of aiming 2' inside the post. I'd say that is more unlucky than sailing it 10' over the frame.

Maybe the balls are much different from when I played. Balls that sailed over the net, ones shot with any velocity, used to be a common problem. I know they've been working on ball composition for decades trying to design balls that will stay in play with more ease. The biggest problem with any long range shot, any free kick within range, any kick from around the box, is stopping the ball from sailing. I won't agree with you at all on this and I've played at a decent level. not recently. But missing the net on a penalty kick is always laughed at. Its like double faulting on service in Tennis. Don't do it, don't beat yourself. If I didn't get a penalty kick on target in any game I'd never be taking another.

When I was playing the balls they had then if you hit sweetspot on the ball, dead Center, it would sail if you kicked it hard. So that you had to hit it a bit over center just to keep it down, but which would often make it skirt off the pitch. (sometimes good)

Maybe culture is different in different places. In German soccer as well it wouldn't be looked at well missing a penalty kick. Its laughingstock stuff. Rashford did it all to himself. Trying to be coy, trying to delay the shot, changing from taking the shot to running sideways to the shot (wtf was that about?) At the end all his fakery faked himself out, that was the funniest thing. The goalie just watching all that like hit the f***ing ball already. I hate stunting and loved that he missed.

Last edited:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
It’s one thing to be an anonymous coward online and another to physically assault other people. I guess we can applaud England fans for being ‘brave’ in addition to making racist remarks?

I think people need to reflect on how much of the overt "racism" is really the typical Chinese operatives at work for hire on Social media trying to make other countries look bad so that they can have their propaganda papers talk about how racist other places are. They're going big time at Canada, Australia, now England. Don't discount, ever, how much of this noise emanates from China. Its what they do. Its not a matter of if, its how many doctored accounts are online on sites firebombing bs.

Its standard practice what totalitarian regimes do in terms of propaganda to try to equivocate. All the articles, many of them left influenced, are real quick to wag on this stuff. I mean they want it to happen so denunciation of everything can occur. This the extent of our sad sack media. I won't characterize England or many countries for this kind of thing. I do blame Communist China for what it is and what it perpetuates. Anytime you read social media read it assuming that much of the worst that you see is operative based or influenced.

Its ironic that some of the best countries on Earth that are most allowing immigration by all are considered most racist. That whole blame game is orchestrated tripe.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
first time in the history of sports this has happened

Gonna support you on this. Glass houses and all. This would happen in many many nations. In a lot of areas of the world a lot worse.

For some perspective this is a country that has never seen their nation win at their favorite sport since 1966. So that the frustration of that would be beyond anything commonly felt.

Nor should anybody here or in the states be turning sneers at rioting in England. Seems to me it happened all over through the pandemic. I seem to remember a lot of cities on fire.

Everything seen in these videos is the segment of soccer hooliganism that is a plague on the sport, that is widespread, and that is everywhere people are passionate about football. England may be the worst at importing this stuff, but at least this mayhem is on their home ground.

Reactions: Bryanbryoil

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
Separating from the repercussions and terrible outcomes that were inevitable from this game.

I think I might be cursed. In my lifetime:

- 1 SCF Oilers loss
- Blue Jays terrible for most of my life, 2 playoff appearances.
- Oilers awful for 15+ years.
- England is garbo
- Man U on the decline.

Idk man, maybe I should stop watching sports.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Separating from the repercussions and terrible outcomes that were inevitable from this game.

I think I might be cursed. In my lifetime:

- 1 SCF Oilers loss
- Blue Jays terrible for most of my life, 2 playoff appearances.
- Oilers awful for 15+ years.
- England is garbo
- Man U on the decline.

Idk man, maybe I should stop watching sports.
Start being a fan of Vegas, Boston and Tampa Bay based sports teams.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting

WE know it happened in the playoffs and there were fights in the stands in the playoffs in several arenas just this NHL playoffs.

I've seen fights vs riders and Esks fans at Commonwealth stadium. Saw a police officer who tried to intervene hit with a steel pipe. Stuff goes on here too.

But this is the kicker, sports here are nowhere near as passionate as they are in Football mad countries. has to be remembered in NA populist sports are all pro, all just a money game, players interchangeable, and there is very rarely Nationalistic fervor involved. Hockey is a minnow compared to soccer.

In Soccer its the world game and cities, towns, countries live and die with the sport on a much greater level than what is found here in hockey. Add to it that an ingredient of hooliganism stems from segments of society that don't give a f***, don't have anything to lose, because they don't have anything. We don't see anything close to the kind of hardship here that would feed hooliganism. Or the passion. Hockey fans normally don't go to this extent, but occasionally do, if Nationalist fervor is involved as it was with the Richard Riots. Then it can get truly ugly. People have to comprehend that international Soccer is nationalist fervor, passion on the biggest scale that just can't be understood from a North American land of plenty perspective. Really few of us are angry enough or disenfranchised enough to do the things seen in the videos.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Things I'd rather do than that:

- Walk across a 3 mile field of broken glass
- Walk across hot coals
- Vote for Jason Kenney
- 600+ other horrible things
- Cheer for the Leafs

In that order.
Think of it as a favour to the rest of society.

Reactions: OfCorsiDid

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad