Utah team name polling opens, list of potential names revealed

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SADisonSquareGarden
The NHL already has the Jets who also appear in the NFL and the Rangers who also appear in the MLB.
^This. Team name duplications are just going to happen and common.
There’s even more sharing in the pro sports leagues when more when you really think about it. The NHL just has more intersecting duplicate names among the 4 major sports.

-NHL NY Rangers/MLB Texas Rangers
-NHL Winnipeg Jets/NFL NY Jets
-NHL LA Kings/NBA Sacramento Kings
-NHL Florida Panthers/NFL Carolina Panthers
-NHL Edmonton Oilers / NFL Houston Oilers (now the Titans)

**I didnt add the CAR Hurricanes and ANA Ducks because they share names with Universities rather than a pro franchise.

It’s when teams share the same name in the same city that tends to get wires crossed. It’s occured a few times in the past. Namely,
MLB & NFL NY Giants
MLB & NFL St Louis Cardinals

For Utah’s sake, most of the 20 names in contention aren’t really used by another major professional league. (Though arguably 12 of the 20 selections could also easily work for a MLS or WNBA team in the future)

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
^This. Team name duplications are just going to happen and common.
There’s even more sharing in the pro sports leagues when more when you really think about it. The NHL just has more intersecting duplicate names among the 4 major sports.

-NHL NY Rangers/MLB Texas Rangers
-NHL Winnipeg Jets/NFL NY Jets
-NHL LA Kings/NBA Sacramento Kings
-NHL Florida Panthers/NFL Carolina Panthers
-NHL Edmonton Oilers / NFL Houston Oilers (now the Titans) ...
It’s when teams share the same name in the same city that tends to get wires crossed. It’s occured a few times in the past. Namely,
MLB & NFL NY Giants
MLB & NFL St Louis Cardinals ...

The best rebuttal to @MK9 's post lies in your list. Trademark violation claims are rarely challenged by a team of the same name IN ANOTHER SPORT, because the complainant cannot establish sufficient proof of impact to business from a team playing in a different sport. Sharing a sports market with an equivalently named business might make for a credible defense of the existing trademark, but in my memory there was no such conflict in St. Louis re. the Cardinals name.

MK9

Feb 28, 2008
Andover, MN
The best rebuttal to @MK9 's post lies in your list. Trademark violation claims are rarely challenged by a team of the same name IN ANOTHER SPORT, because the complainant cannot establish sufficient proof of impact to business from a team playing in a different sport. Sharing a sports market with an equivalently named business might make for a credible defense of the existing trademark, but in my memory there was no such conflict in St. Louis re. the Cardinals name.
Alright then.

• Haha
Reactions: JMCx4

DrandonBudinsky

Black & Blueshirts
Mar 15, 2022
SADisonSquareGarden
Yeah, I never heard of any conflicts of St Louis having both football and baseball teams being called Cardinals. In NY, I can just remember sportscasters referring to the Giants as the “Football Giants” even though the baseball team had been gone for over 40 years. 🤷🏻‍♂️

For Utah’s 20 names, I’d think they’d have to vet if there are other entities in the state already using those names/trademarks. Though, let’s say “Outlaws” does win out. The only hurdle NHL Utah would have to clear is there may be a lacrosse team who already go by “Utah Outlaws”. They would have to work out an agreement of some sort in the event that lacrosse team ends up feeling they’re being infringed upon.

This recently happened with another pro sports franchise. When Cleveland Indians announced they were changing their name to the Guardians, they were served with a lawsuit from a roller derby team in the city who already were called the Cleveland Guardians. MLB Guardians eventually settled out of court. Yes, yes. I can hear you all now. Roller Derby.

JMCx4

Censorship is the Sincerest Form of Flattery
Sep 3, 2017
St. Louis, MO
... When Cleveland Indians announced they were changing their name to the Guardians, they were served with a lawsuit from a roller derby team in the city who already were called the Cleveland Guardians. MLB Guardians eventually settled out of court. Yes, yes. I can hear you all now. Roller Derby.
Smart move by the RD team owner. Free publicity, and the settlement probably covered the entire organization's salaries AND the participants' medical insurance for at least a year.

PenguinSuitedUp

Sponsor
Oct 2, 2019
Not surprised. Some minor league teams or arena teams have good names, but Freeze, Yeti...come on man.. They scream minor league.
Utah Yeti has alliteration. It rolls off the tongue. Outlaws is about generic as it comes. It sounds like an arena football team name. . . Because it already is one.

Reactions: Porkleaker

tucker3434

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 7, 2007
Atlanta, GA
Yeti.

Please no Utah HC. I hate how MLS copies the euro naming formats. They only did it because there’s no soccer tradition here. It’s unnecessary with hockey.

Reactions: Hrkac Circus

PeE eL DuBoiS

Send ze caviar to mah chambers, peasant
Mar 31, 2022
Powder is just downright terrible. It's got my vote. Rounded out with the Black Diamonds, Caribou and a 4th bad choice.

njdevil26

I hate avocados
Dec 13, 2006
Clark, NJ
I'm guessing it will be "Outlaws" or "Yet"

I like the Outlaws name.

Just wondering about Yeti if the Avalanche would take issue with that since it's in the same realm and the Avs have the Yeti foot on their jerseys.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad