Post-Game Talk: WCQF GM5 | Canucks lose to Predators | 1-2 (Zadorov) | Back to Nashville

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Well, Zadorov gave us a goal and then he lost his check going for the hit for no reason on the tying goal.

So basically we lost 1-0 on a ticky-tack penalty which was one of like three weak calls.

Miller couldn't superman us through this one, and made some bad mistakes when we pulled the goalie.

Boeser woke up for like 2-3 chances but other than that wasn't very effective. If that line isn't going and the 3rd line isn't going, I don't know how we're going to score.

Tocchet IMO getting outcoached again. We dominated the first period, then we started letting their forecheck dictate again. Didn't pull their shot blockers out of position at all, couldn't get enough shots. Also needs to mix up the lines besides Lotto, which hasn't worked at all. He just waits too long to adjust.

VanCanucks53

Jul 6, 2007
Calgary
I get why they didn’t challenge that goal. Good chance it would have been allowed and then you are 1-1 and momentum swinging the other way and on the PK.

Refs should have called it on the ice when it happened.

Reactions: B-rock

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Team played well, deserved to win but the PP stunk and just an absolutely stupid play by Joshua (who I love) with 12 minutes to go in an elimination game we’re winning.

Passing up too many shots looking for perfect plays. Put the f’ing puck on net with their tiny goalie - look what happened for Zadorov.

Pettersson showed a bit more of a pulse but still constantly falling down and weak on the puck.

As usual, we get reffed like the road team on home ice. When I get the chance I’m going to calculate the penalty differentials for us trailing on home ice in the 3rd vs. the opposition trailing us on their home ice in the 3rd.

Scumbag Frank

Hard Time in the Slammer
Apr 13, 2010
Vancouver
Problem is people's expectations that this team can go far. This is a bubble team that got off to a lucky 1st half hot streak.

Coaching is not great and top end talent doesn't stack up to the Mackinnons and McDavids
Just be happy they're in the playoffs and got lucky they drew Nashville. Would've been annihilated by almost every other team in the west by now

TruKnyte

Give me the meds now
Jan 1, 2012
Vancouver, BC
I really just can't get on board with blaming the refs or even being mad about not challenging the goal.

Those are the type of things you get upset about in a hard fought, close series, where every inch matters.

This should be a 4-1 series win for the Canucks, the Predators are not a good team.

Miller, Pettersson, Hughes and Boeser should be lighting these guys up. Look at what the Avs did to the Jets.

The truth is, the Canucks will scrape by this round and get absolutely dumpstered in Round 2. And it has nothing to do with losing Demko to injury.

Agreed on that. Although at least Boeser has been doing his part, if Petey could actually get going it would open space for the others

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Were it not for that miracle comeback in Game 4, this would be going back to Nashville with the Predators up 3-2.

Mikheyev-Pettersson-Hoglander is like putting a black hole with a brain fart and a cloud. There's f***ing NOTHING THERE.

Well the Canucks have maybe, possibly put together 3 actually good periods over 5 games so that isn't surprising. They've sucked for large portions.

LordBacon

CEO of sh*tposting
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2017
Hong Kong
How bout instead of finding people to blame,
the bois actually show the f*** up and put up some offence.

We've been literally carried by the depth players so far.
Especially Miller and Petey need to step the f*** up because it's been very disappointing so far.
Big guns are mia.

PavelBure10

The Russian Rocket
Aug 25, 2009
Okanagan
Hughes did everything he could in the dying minute, keeping the puck in at all costs. While Miller kept turning the puck over with forced passes. Lindholm misses a basic pass and it goes out of the zone. Frustrating last minute.

Wasn't a fan of the officiating but I won't go there. The missed hook on Petey was a joke

nuxnux1

Oct 17, 2022
I really just can't get on board with blaming the refs or even being mad about not challenging the goal.

Those are the type of things you get upset about in a hard fought, close series, where every inch matters.

This should be a 4-1 series win for the Canucks, the Predators are not a good team.

Miller, Pettersson, Hughes and Boeser should be lighting these guys up. Look at what the Avs did to the Jets.

The truth is, the Canucks will scrape by this round and get absolutely dumpstered in Round 2. And it has nothing to do with losing Demko to injury.
I mean their results the back half of the season say they are a good team, this isn’t the caps or islanders, these guys tore through the league since Christmas…sure on paper they don’t look super talented but they play a good team game

Reactions: B-rock and Petey O

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
What? Quinn Hughes was good and generated a ton of chances, especially in the first.
Yes but he's started to fade in games and generally hasn't been his usual dominant self this series. He wasn't great after the first in this one.

He took too many shots skating straight towards the net, you can't do that against a shot-blocking collapsing team. Those are bad decisions and they contribute to our lack of offence. If he was shooting while walking the line I get it. But his shot is still not the greatest despite how much it has improved and he needs that angle change to get them through.

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Team played well, deserved to win but the PP stunk and just an absolutely stupid play by Joshua (who I love) with 12 minutes to go in an elimination game we’re winning.

Passing up too many shots looking for perfect plays. Put the f’ing puck on net with their tiny goalie - look what happened for Zadorov.

Pettersson showed a bit more of a pulse but still constantly falling down and weak on the puck.

As usual, we get reffed like the road team on home ice. When I get the chance I’m going to calculate the penalty differentials for us trailing on home ice in the 3rd vs. the opposition trailing us on their home ice in the 3rd.

I full body cringed when Lauzon threw Pettersson to the ice like a bag of dirt. How the f*** do you let that happen after Game 4?

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Yes but he's started to fade in games and generally hasn't been his usual dominant self this series. He wasn't great after the first in this one.

He took too many shots skating straight towards the net, you can't do that against a shot-blocking collapsing team. Those are bad decisions and they contribute to our lack of offence. If he was shooting while walking the line I get it. But his shot is still not the greatest despite how much it has improved and he needs that angle change to get them through.

Brunette's entire game plan early on was to cripple Hughes, and it worked. The Canucks will only go as far as he carries them, and he's been running at 50% the last few games.

Reactions: Jay26 and TruKnyte

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
All according to the (recycled) script

canucksnashville.png

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The hockey Gods have a way of evening things out. Canucks weren't close to being the best team in the last game in Nashville, but still won. Tonight they were the second-best team again, but lost.

For me, the biggest question-mark with the Canucks heading into the post-season--do they enough size and sandpaper up front? The answer is an emphatic 'no'. They're just getting owned along the wall in both zones right now.

And unless things change in a hurry they're back at Rogers Arena for Game 7. Unfortunately it's probably not something you can fix until the off-season.

Reactions: Jay26

Soups On

Apr 27, 2012
Petey Miller Boeser
Joshua Lindholm Garland
Hoglander - Suter - Mikheyev
Lafferty - Bleuger - Podkolzin

Enough dicking around. Mikheyev isn't converting and he's better off not getting the same matchups as Petey. Lindholm's line consistently generates chances. Suter and Mikheyev have had ample opportunity to finish their chances and they flub them. Let them play with each other and see if they can work on better matchups. I don't wanna see PDG with his soft clears anymore. Podkolzin's time to shine.

LickTheEnvelope

Time to Retool... again...
Dec 16, 2008
Vancouver
I get why they didn’t challenge that goal. Good chance it would have been allowed and then you are 1-1 and momentum swinging the other way and on the PK.

Refs should have called it on the ice when it happened.

How could it have been allowed? You can't spear a goalie into the net with the puck.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad