Post-Game Talk: WCSF GM7 | Canucks lose to Oilers | 2-3 (Garland & Hronek) | Season Over

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
Im just curious with these posts that sound like ultimatums.

What happens if he does not meet your criteria next year? What are you threatening to do?
lol..I've been a Canuckfan since 1970. I expect to be disappointed.

You seem to reading something that isn't there. Where is the ultimatum? You don't think a guy with a cap hit of 11.6 million will have a ton of pressure on him next season?

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC
Despite how the season is viewed as a success, I can't help but feel like they let a great opportunity to make a deep run slip through their fingers. Vegas and LA were both eliminated in the first round, and Colorado was out in the second.

The Oilers were the better team overall, but they were very beatable. We had them at the 1 yard line and if our star players were even running at 75%, that's likely enough to take the series. Instead, for whatever reason or another, we had too many guys fail to deliver when it mattered most.

The injury troubles were just infuriating. Nothing you can do about that, but what other franchise would have their leading goal scorer develop blood clots the day before Game 7? There is only one.

Reactions: VanCanucks53

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC

You seem to reading something that isn't there. Where is the ultimatum? You don't think a guy with a cap hit of 11.6 million will have a ton of pressure on him next season?

It's going to be a long season next year for Petey. Unfortunately, the only way to wash away the stink of a bad playoff performance is with a good playoff performance. He's going to have to get there and shred to erase this memory.

I think he can do it - and I hope he does.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...
It's going to be a long season next year for Petey. Unfortunately, the only way to wash away the stink of a bad playoff performance is with a good playoff performance. He's going to have to get there and shred to erase this memory.

This is where Alvin/JR will earn their money. Managing to keep the roster within the cap & still be competative. It won't be easy but that's why they get paid the big bucks.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

Maybe I am lumping you with other posters who have been more clear with their wordings.

But there are a lot of posts with.

"He must do X now OR ELSE!"

BenningHurtsMySoul

Unfair Huggy Bear
Mar 18, 2008
Port Coquitlam, BC

Almost every star player has at least one bad postseason on their resume. You need to learn how to lose before you learn how to win. My hope is that the core takes this as a learning experience and concludes that you can't play the last 10 minutes of the 3rd period and expect to win games. Sooner or later, you won't get the comebacks you need.

Reactions: MarkusNaslund19

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Despite how the season is viewed as a success, I can't help but feel like they let a great opportunity to make a deep run slip through their fingers. Vegas and LA were both eliminated in the first round, and Colorado was out in the second.

The Oilers were the better team overall, but they were very beatable. We had them at the 1 yard line and if our star players were even running at 75%, that's likely enough to take the series. Instead, for whatever reason or another, we had too many guys fail to deliver when it mattered most.

The injury troubles were just infuriating. Nothing you can do about that, but what other franchise would have their leading goal scorer develop blood clots the day before Game 7? There is only one.
I do agree.

This was a super weird year and could have been one where we "steal" a cup.

theguardianII

Jan 30, 2020
IF ONLY! Yup, there will be a lot of that.

Hindsight, yep, that too.

Lots of stuff will be examined and blamed.

Woulda, Shoulda, Coulda.

This game seven the Canucks didn't look their best, oddly they did look tired or just nervous or can it said, afraid. Not all of them but some.

Still they scared the crap out of the Oilers, the cup favourites.

It was nice to see the fans stay and cheer them. It shows that when the fans are booing they do know something of the game, enough to cheer THIS group of players. That's called Class.

Season over, a real season not just the easy season, lessons learned and now the shit hits the fan, meaning who stays, who goes and dealing with the cap.

Exceptional and surprising season.

Reactions: Oilslick941611

Bgav

We Stylin'
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2009
Vancouver

I just don't see how they would have beat Dallas.

Nopefully

Nov 11, 2023
Oilers having shit goaltending this series balanced that out (except when Pickard? was in net). They won't be able to get away with that against Dallas (Cloutier-like netminder).
We won two against that Detroit team with Cloutier, to play the devil's advocate. But yeah, Dallas is formidable and should take the series without too much issue. DeBoer is a good coach and will be able to exploit Edmonton's deficiencies with his depth.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
Also - man, I want Conor Garland to be a Canuck for the rest of his career. His give a shit meter is so high.
Another player that was rumoured that they were trying to trade, same as Boeser. Both played valuable roles this season. Too bad management didn't feel the same about Kuzmenko.

LadyJet26

LETS GO BLUE!!!!!
Sep 6, 2004
Winnipeg, MB
I don’t like the flag thing before the games. Do it once, we get it but to somehow make it a new tradition? Its dumb. Probably pisses off the refs and are we saying we give up before the gams starts?

Idiot marketing idea.

Didn't they start it as a tribute to Roger Nielson when he passed away?

Just A Bit Outside

Playoffs??!
Mar 6, 2010
Understand you need to make hard choices and have to move money around.

But I don't see Boeser going anywhere after what he did these playoffs.

And it would take a ton to move Garland after his effort.

There are many other players to move before either of those two IMO.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Another player that was rumoured that they were trying to trade, same as Boeser. Both played valuable roles this season. Too bad management didn't feel the same about Kuzmenko.

The rumor before Game 1 of the season was that Garland had asked for a trade/change in scenery, similar to Boeser about 18 months prior. Also similar to Boeser, he apparently changed his mind and both are happy here now, thankfully for us.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
The rumor before Game 1 of the season was that Garland had asked for a trade/change in scenery, similar to Boeser about 18 months prior. Also similar to Boeser, he apparently changed his mind and both are happy here now, thankfully for us.
Pretty sure Boeser went to management and said he was committed and please don't trade me. Garland also said he had asked because he was tired of losing.

Reactions: Mr. Canucklehead

innitfam

Oct 18, 2017
Great season overall especially in the context of expectations starting the season. But can't help but feel they let a really good opportunity to win this series slip away. Game 6 was botched in its entirety. I feel like the bigger opportunity was Game 2. After 2 periods they were played really well but completely fell apart in the third and OT. Also, if you get to OT in Game 4 - who knows.

Sedinery

May 24, 2021
Didn't they start it as a tribute to Roger Nielson when he passed away?
It did. Lots of fans in arenas wave towels nowadays.

We did it the first home playoff game….cool

Then let it go.

I wish the entire team had the heart of Garland

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad