OT - NO POLITICS We’re on to Thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.

Smitty93

Dec 6, 2012
I doubt many consider it a Christmas movie, per se, but I do and have always loved watching The Family Man with nic cage over the holiday season

I think it's safe to include The Family Man in the Christmas category. To me it's pretty simple, does Christmas play a key role in the plot? Essentially, can you remove Christmas from the movie without changing any major plot points? Thus, The Family Man is a Christmas movie (doesn't hurt that it was released at Christmas, so the studio clearly thought it was).

It's the same logic as Die Hard as a Christmas movie. The events of the movie do not happen without Christmas. McClane visits his family because it's Christmas. Gruber chooses that night because of the Christmas party.

Reactions: NeelyDan

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
She and Beyonce are the only two who can manage to unite people at least for one night.

Aside from those two, who would you have chosen?
For the sake of the Mod's and the stability of HFboards i'll refrain from sharing my list lol, but what is extremely low on my list are entertainers. While I can appreciate their contributions to society (because we all need a break), I don't value their opinions or actions like I do leaders/innovators that change (or attempt to change) the world for the better.

I actually think we put entertainers and their opinions on too high of a pedestal because we like their artistic ability therefor their intentions must be Nobel and not the result of a PR strategy. Unfortunately, some actually use entertainers to inform themselves about the realities of life when in fact those entertainers are so far removed from it

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
For the sake of the Mod's and the stability of HFboards i'll refrain from sharing my list lol, but what is extremely low on my list are entertainers. While I can appreciate their contributions to society (because we all need a break), I don't value their opinions or actions like I do leaders/innovators that change (or attempt to change) the world for the better.

I actually think we put entertainers and their opinions on too high of a pedestal because we like their artistic ability therefor their intentions must be Nobel and not the result of a PR strategy. Unfortunately, some actually use entertainers to inform themselves about the realities of life when in fact those entertainers are so far removed from it
Completely valid point of view and I agree with you especially about those who only listen to what entertainers say about the real world. If people cared half as much about things that impact us all as they do to celebrity relationship drama and celebrity legal messes, we might be in a different place right now.

Reactions: hrdpuk and CamFan81

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
In terms of global reach, which I can only assume is the #1 criteria on the "person of the year" requirements, I don't see how it could be anybody other than Taylor Swift. Pretty easy choice for me.

Reactions: Alicat

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I'm far from a Swiftie, but have no problem with her being named person of the year. Homegirl has singlehandedly (ok, with Beyonce) had more impact on the US economy than anything else that isn't related to inflation. She's also changed the game for women entrepreneurs. She is the first person in the history of the award to receive it under the age of 50; she's 33.

The question of her being an entertainer with everything else going on in the world was asked when she was revealed as PoY on the Today Show; she was chosen for bringing light into the world at a time when it is sorely needed.

Taylor Swift found a way to transcend borders and be a source of light,” Jacobs' piece reads. “No one else on the planet today can move so many people so well. Achieving this feat is something we often chalk up to the alignments of planets and fates, but giving too much credit to the stars ignores her skill and her power. Swift is the rare person who is both the writer and hero of her own story.”

It's a magazine award, not a Nobel Peace Prize.

TD Charlie

Sep 10, 2007
I'm far from a Swiftie, but have no problem with her being named person of the year. Homegirl has singlehandedly (ok, with Beyonce) had more impact on the US economy than anything else that isn't related to inflation. She's also changed the game for women entrepreneurs. She is the first person in the history of the award to receive it under the age of 50; she's 33.

The question of her being an entertainer with everything else going on in the world was asked when she was revealed as PoY on the Today Show; she was chosen for bringing light into the world at a time when it is sorely needed.

Taylor Swift found a way to transcend borders and be a source of light,” Jacobs' piece reads. “No one else on the planet today can move so many people so well. Achieving this feat is something we often chalk up to the alignments of planets and fates, but giving too much credit to the stars ignores her skill and her power. Swift is the rare person who is both the writer and hero of her own story.”

It's a magazine award, not a Nobel Peace Prize.
I also have enormous respect for her for how she handled streaming and music ownership. She changed the entire business model of the music industry FOR THE BETTERMENT OF ALL ARTISTS, then went and filmed her own movie and cut out the middle man on that one too. All while being mocked and rooted against by anyone that didn't like music she made at age 16, or hated the fact that she got popular on the back of said music.

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
I've got no problem with Tay Tay being named POY. There have been far worse winners. She has had an impact socially, economically, and she single handedly took on Ticketmaster and won. If that isn't the business world's version of the Berlin Wall coming down, I don't know what is.

Plus, the girl did 40+ songs in a torrential downpour, more than once! I don't care what you think of her music, that right there is bringing it.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
Perhaps its a display of the Paradigm shift into what we as a society currently hold as value...

jgatie

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 22, 2011
Perhaps its a display of the Paradigm shift into what we as a society currently hold as value...

There's no shift. The POY has been awarded to Hitler, Stalin twice, and Putin once, along with other maniacs and despots. There's no moral or societal judgments in the award, that's not its purpose.

BigBadBruins7708

Dec 11, 2017
Las Vegas
There's no shift. The POY has been awarded to Hitler, Stalin twice, and Putin once, along with other maniacs and despots. There's no moral or societal judgments in the award, that's not its purpose.

Also a good point.

Time POTY is not about being the best person of the year. It's simply that they were the most noteworthy/newsworthy, good or bad.

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
I recognize that

do I appreciate what she has accomplished in her career thusfar, sure.

Can I have an opinion of the precedent that the magazine has set in the past regarding who they acknowledged and why, Yes as well.

Do you think Zuckerberg should have been named PoY in 2010?

ETA: What about Elon in 2021?

Reactions: Alicat and NeelyDan

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
Do you think Zuckerberg should have been named PoY in 2010?

ETA: What about Elon in 2021?
Do I think there were better options those years? i'd have to look to be honest.

But off the top of my head when I look at what Zuckerberg has done with Facebook reaching 3billion people and has the capacity to impact how governments run.....I can see the argument. Just Elon Musk's vision for Starlink's capability could justify the argument itself, seeing as though one of the visions could be web access for underserved areas of the entire globe. You mix in Tesla and his vision to move on from fossil fuels, his drive for space travel - the argument is there.

Taylor swift's successful career including breaking barriers, or setting records, doesn't do it for me. If she failed tomorrow and hung up the microphone do I think that would impact the world (negatively or positively)? No, I don't.

I try my best to keep in mind that the times selects the person regardless of positive or negative impact, and there are some there that are cringe worthy. But I feel like there is a precedent set by the times (regardless of them just being a magazine) when you scroll through the past selections...

Reactions: BMC

Kate08

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Apr 30, 2010
Do I think there were better options those years? i'd have to look to be honest.

But off the top of my head when I look at what Zuckerberg has done with Facebook reaching 3billion people and has the capacity to impact how governments run.....I can see the argument. Just Elon Musk's vision for Starlink's capability could justify the argument itself, seeing as though one of the visions could be web access for underserved areas of the entire globe. You mix in Tesla and his vision to move on from fossil fuels, his drive for space travel - the argument is there.

Taylor swift's successful career including breaking barriers, or setting records, doesn't do it for me. If she failed tomorrow and hung up the microphone do I think that would impact the world (negatively or positively)? No, I don't.

I try my best to keep in mind that the times selects the person regardless of positive or negative impact, and there are some there that are cringe worthy. But I feel like there is a precedent set by the times (regardless of them just being a magazine) when you scroll through the past selections...

It’s not just about breaking barriers or setting records. She has made a crazy impact on the entertainment industry. But we’ll have to agree to disagree.

CamFan81

HF Snob Agitator
Mar 22, 2009
RI
When I say value, I don't mean the recognition is only given to those of positive value. You could be recognized for threatening something that the entire world values I.E Stalin, Hitler, Putin

Reactions: BMC

Aussie Bruin

Sponsor
Aug 3, 2019
Victoria, Aus
The Bells of St. Mary's {1945}, starring Bing Crosby and Ingrid Bergman. A low-key charmer that will put you and yours in the holiday spirit forthwith.

Yes, you've seen them countless times, but how about It's a Wonderful Life (1946) and A Christmas Story (1983), Home Alone (1990) or Planes, Trains and Automobiles (1987)?

Rob Reiner's When Harry Met Sally (1989),

Also,

I realize that Australia is not the United States, but relative to TV stuff, you might find these on Youtube: A Charlie Brown Christmas (1965), The Andy Griffith Show, "The Christmas Story" (1960); "Happy Days," "Guess Who's Coming to Christmas?" (1974). Frasier: "Frasier Grinch," "Merry Christmas, Mrs. Moskowitz."

If you want sentiment and 'tude,

Bonne chance, que Dieu vous bénisse, Joyeux Noël,

Awesome list, thank-you! Watching Christmas episodes from TV shows is a great idea too, and easier to do in this streaming age.

Reactions: GordonHowe
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad