What does the Utah Hockey Club need to make the playoffs?

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Keller/Cooley/Schmaltz
Maccelli/Hayton/Guenther
Crouse/Bjugstad/Doan

Top nine is pretty stout.

Defense is a glaring weakness.
Add Kerfoot and Geekie to that list too.

Goalie is good. They need defense.

I think more importantly, they need the backing of the ownership, coaching staff, and fans to will them to the playoffs. I think the last few years in Arizona really broke that franchise. 2nd rate operation for sure. They need to, as a group, come to the conclusion that "hey, we can compete with the big boys!"

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Arizona choose to save money and use the LTIR loophole to their advantage. They could've been a lot better of a team if they wanted, but there was a plan in place.

Now is time to stop using that advantage and fill the roster out with actual NHLers that will play for them

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: viper0220

dirtydanglez

Oct 30, 2022
going to be tough to gain that type of ground in the west. they'll have the ability to own the offseason, they have the money, the cap, and the futures to pull off something big

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
There is a lot of truth to it though. Use that cap space on actual NHLers and the team is far better.

Arizona choose to save money and use the LTIR loophole to their advantage. They could've been a lot better of a team if they wanted, but there was a plan in place.

Now is time to stop using that advantage and fill the roster out with actual NHLers that will play for them

Totally agree with you. In Arizona, it was bad ownership for the last 2 decades. The Smith family looks committed and that is why I am excited for them.

They have cap space and picks, if used wisely, they can be good.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Totally agree with you. In Arizona, it was bad ownership for the last 2 decades. The Smith family looks committed and that is why I am excited for them.

They have cap space and picks, if used wisely, they can be good.
I just hope they don't try make too big of a splash and have that buyers remorse come July 2nd.

I think they have something good brewing, but all that pain Arizona went through could be for nothing and Utah could mess it all up if they aren't smart about it.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
A face of the franchise who grew up in the state they’re moving from.
Trevor Lewis?

1714505475195.png

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Based on this past season? To not have rumors of a move to another city rip through their dressing room and put them on a losing skid. That's what Tourigny pointed to as the foundation of the streak that took them from WC spot to soundly out of the playoffs.

Reactions: Matias Maccete

HawksDub89

Apr 17, 2019
If not Chicago I hope Utah wins the lottery. (Or Montreal)

Adding Celebrini to an already impressive young forward group would have a “gas on a fire” type of effect.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Aside from a name.

I think they have a good team as is, but they should make some big trades this off-season and signings. But I could see them signing Marchessault and Duchene. But also they need to improve their defense.

I'd love for them to draft Celebrini though. If not, possibly Silayev.

Petey O

Laffy Taffy's gonna chew you up.
Feb 26, 2021
Canguker
patience. still a very young team. if they make it then great but I wouldnt try to buy a playoff team. make as many good value signings with upside as possible over the next year or two and allow your kids to develop.
After Vegas' success, I don't see a scenario where they *don't* make a splash in FA and try to be a playoff team right off the bat. Stamkos would be a great "we've arrived" signing.

You want to make a great first impression on the fanbase. You don't do that by being rebuild central when you already have a good young core.

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Rasmussen Andersson will probably ask out, if he already has not.

Mackenzie Weegar would probably don’t say a no to a trade, he does have a $6.5 million cap but he did put up 20 goals and 50+ points and he was a +.

Rasmussen Andersson can hopefully land a first round pick.
There is no truth to any of that. There has been no inclination that Andersson wants out and Weegar has stated the exact opposite.

viper0220

Oct 10, 2008
There is no truth to any of that. There has been no inclination that Andersson wants out and Weegar has stated the exact opposite.

With the exit interviews, there was some fuss, that Andersson did not want to be part of a rebuild. He did deal with a lot of bullshit in Calgary and he may want to move on. Craig Conroy has said that he wants to get some for players(the Gaudreau situation).

As for Weegar, he is on a tradeable contract, he may also not want to be part of a rebuild.

Gordy Elbows

Keep off my lawn
Oct 31, 2019
What does the Utah NHL need to do to make the playoffs, can they make the playoffs? What moves do they need to make? What position do they most need to upgrade?

Finishing a season with around 100 points should do it.

PainForShane

formerly surfshop
Dec 24, 2019
At least one if not two good, two-way defenders with experience but not too ancient who can help shepherd the blueline to a higher level until Simashev, Lamoureux and likely their top pick this year are more ready.

Honestly, Moser-Durzi would be a fantastic…definitely above average second pair. And Valimaki-Kesselring would be a terrific third pair. Kolya/Soderstrom probably fine as a youngish #7/8 with a bit of upside.

I think the offense is gonna cook this next year. Cooley-Guenther was fire to end the season…add them and Doan to Keller, Schmaltz, Crouse and Maccelli and you’ve got real depth and optionality up front. Theres probably no way Hayton is as snake-bitten this year but I bet Geekie gets a long look this fall. Bjugstad was awesome this season and he McBain, Kerfoot, Carcone etc are good under-contract role players.

Ingram is awesome in net and on a ridiculous contract. Vejmelka defintiely cratered a bit in more of a backup role but is definitely talented enough to bounce back and you’ve got both under contract next year for a combined $4.7 million which is elite value at the position.

In short…agreed…build up the defense with some experience but outside of that, there’s no need to be rash. This roster is on the cusp of competing and there are a million draft picks and plenty of cap space to weaponize for reinforcements and an energized new owner and setting. Hard not to suddenly be much more bullish on their prospects.

100% on your post, well said. Imo still need a 2C (or a 1C depending how good you think Cooley will be), Guenther and Cooley look great and I wouldn't be surprised at all if Guenther gets 35-40G next year with Cooley feeding most of the primary assists. And you still have guys like But who haven't joined the team yet but hopefully aren't too far away.

Also need an entire top pair of D -- 100% agree with you re: Durzi / Moser, that's an above avg second pair, not really a first pair on a contender. Hanafin would've been nice. But, Simashev is an elite prospect, Lam is a physical freak with lots of size, both have that top pair upside. So in maybe 2-3 years you might start seeing that top pair materialize, that's about when this team should be competing anyway.

In the meantime, someone like Stamkos would make a lot of noise but I'm not sure you really need him unless it's more around insulating the kids. Someone like Duchene might make more sense on that dimension honestly because it wouldn't be as much of an overpay and he wouldn't need some crazy long contract.

All that said, for me, I feel like this team's roster should be ready to compete for the playoffs, not unlike a team like BUF or OTT, but AZ is so much better coached. Excuse me, Utah. But imo this team won't really be ready to actually compete for the SC for another few years yet while we wait for that top D pair to materialize and also become good at hockey

Reactions: BKarchitect

wunderpanda

Apr 9, 2012
roster may be good enough now with some negative press & distractions removed. if they add anyone, it should be trevor lewis. yes he is 37, won cups, been in the playoffs, would cost under $1m and was born in salt lake city. can win hearts and minds with a 13th forward like that.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I bet they sneak into the playoffs next season

Just needed to get outta Arizona and to a passionate fan base. That arena will be bonkers next year and the players will love it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad