What to do with the board - Poll of Yotes fans.

What do?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Don’t see why you both should be shocked.

Hockey nerds are hockey nerds.

Going to say this though……

Everyone can choose to go there or not….. doesn’t bother me in the least. But don’t go there to take a giant dump on the board about what happened with the Coyotes.

It’s going to take a while for new Utah hockey fans to learn about this site and populate F287 and the last thing they need to be greeted with is bunch of disgruntled posters spewing venom everywhere.
I'm not sure I understand your point. It's not like this forum couldn't have lived on as normal, all the organizational knowledge is here, it's definitely not on the Utah board. Or at least it wasn't anyway, like I said, it surprised me so many were willing to simply copy paste from F40 to F287 and continue on without really skipping a beat. I guess I can understand why Jets 1.0 fans would do that but even local Phx people peaced out like it was there job. I was hoping people would just stay here and continue on and not really give two shits about the Utah board but guess that's not what is going to happen. Gotta respect the emotional agility I guess.

As for your spiel about what new Utah hockey fans need, I simply don't have the words to properly communicate how much I don't give a f*** about the needs of new Utah hockey fans and I'm not sure why you'd even go there. It's not like I've participated in any discussions over there let alone stirred the pot. Most I did was go in there once, see all the familiar names posting away and closed my browser.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Not going to just give up on being a hockey fan because Alex Meruelo sucks. He took the home town team away from me. I’m not going to just voluntarily let him take anything more than that from me. That’s cutting off your nose to spite your face.

What happened happened. And it sucks. And it was stupid. And it was avoidable and there are so many incompetent clowns and downright villains along the way that made it happen. It was a slow and humiliating death. And I’m pissed about it. That baggage is dead to me. Hanging onto that only hurts me. It doesn’t hurt Meruelo or anyone else.

I’ll do what I like. Being disgruntled and resentful and depressed isn’t what I like. Being a fan of an nhl team and continuing to follow BA & the Owski’s and the pool they’ve built is what I like. It never occurred to me to just let a bad owner have that because he made me mad. Its mine. Im keeping it.
Yeah I get that, just thought you'd keep it here not there is all. Utah got everything else, I guess they might as well add most of the fans to that turnkey package they bought. Helps out HFboards, seeding F287 like that until it can sustain itself. Yay.

Reactions: ck26

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Yeah I get that, just thought you'd keep it here not there is all. Utah got everything else, I guess they might as well add most of the fans to that turnkey package they bought. Helps out HFboards, seeding F287 like that until it can sustain itself. Yay.
I don’t think many Utah fans will ever find this place. They’ll be on Twitter and Reddit and Instagram and Discord and YouTube. HFB is such old internet. I think people living in Utah will always be outnumbered on that subforum at least 4:1.

And I stopped posting anything to do with hockey here because people got mad. I’d post about the draft and they’d say “who gives a shit?!? I hope they move down two slots and draft a bust!!!” - that says to me that I’m in the wrong place, right? I’m trying to be sensitive to feelings over here. Haha.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006
I don’t think many Utah fans will ever find this place. They’ll be on Twitter and Reddit and Instagram and Discord and YouTube. HFB is such old internet. I think people living in Utah will always be outnumbered on that subforum at least 4:1.

I actually think Utah is probably the market that would be most likely to still use social tech like HFB. I mean, yes, Utah is building itself out as a tech hub, but that's corporate - in terms of Internet savvy, the general populace skews more toward the "I figured out the clock setting on my VCR!" than "Yeah, I have a new VR headset to play in my Splatoon tournament!" :D

Reactions: Summer Rose

Desert Ice 11

I'm here!
Aug 9, 2012
Tempe
Wife and I visited our friends in Ogden, UT this past weekend. Cool place for hiking and lots of outdoorsy things to do. Mountains in the landscape are amazing, green everywhere and the golf courses looked great to play. I want to go back and visit again during fall to see the leaves starting to change color and play some golf.

Booze and bars were to most surprising difference. Any booze above 5% is super regulated. Bars can not legally pour over one shot per drink. No beers ABV above 5% unless you go to a brewer. Any alcohol above 5%ABV has to be bought at of the state run liquor stores or you can get liquor from a distillery.

Not sure if I needed to spend more time in the SLC area instead the Ogden area but the place doesn't seem abuzz about the new team I didn't see much as far as ads or billboards. Its hard to find a bar with a lot of TVs (looked to be one or two total if any for all the places we went). Seems like every place is closed early on weekdays and Sundays and Mondays are typically closed.

I can get why players and wives/gf would not like moving there, it feels very small town. If you are driving through SLC and blink you will likely miss seeing the city (exaggeration but you get the point). Interested to see how this shapes up in the next few years.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

And I stopped posting anything to do with hockey here because people got mad. I’d post about the draft and they’d say “who gives a shit?!? I hope they move down two slots and draft a bust!!!” - that says to me that I’m in the wrong place, right? I’m trying to be sensitive to feelings over here. Haha.
That's fair, I didn't realize you were catching shit for posting here. I always thought it was the logical place to continue on if you're a diehard Coyote fan but guess some disagree. Figured it was a good spot for those who wanted to follow through on the house that BA is building while we wait for a return of NHL hockey in the valley.

Reactions: Prarievarg

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I actually think Utah is probably the market that would be most likely to still use social tech like HFB. I mean, yes, Utah is building itself out as a tech hub, but that's corporate - in terms of Internet savvy, the general populace skews more toward the "I figured out the clock setting on my VCR!" than "Yeah, I have a new VR headset to play in my Splatoon tournament!" :D
I love how back in the day if you set the time on your VCR adults would act like you were an engineering prodigy. I guess it's not much different today, now a kid uses apps on a phone and suddenly they're tech geniuses. It was ridiculous then and it's ridiculous now. It's the equivalent of watching hockey and assuming that means not only could you play but you could probably coach as well. haha

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
That's fair, I didn't realize you were catching shit for posting here. I always thought it was the logical place to continue on if you're a diehard Coyote fan but guess some disagree. Figured it was a good spot for those who wanted to follow through on the house that BA is building while we wait for a return of NHL hockey in the valley.
Yeah I’m not sure what the right answer is. I wasn’t offended. The message was “take that crap to the Utah board” so I said fair enough. It’s different for everyone. I’ve seen some pretty nasty stuff on Twitter. It’s not like that here which is good.

Wife and I visited our friends in Ogden, UT this past weekend. Cool place for hiking and lots of outdoorsy things to do. Mountains in the landscape are amazing, green everywhere and the golf courses looked great to play. I want to go back and visit again during fall to see the leaves starting to change color and play some golf.

Booze and bars were to most surprising difference. Any booze above 5% is super regulated. Bars can not legally pour over one shot per drink. No beers ABV above 5% unless you go to a brewer. Any alcohol above 5%ABV has to be bought at of the state run liquor stores or you can get liquor from a distillery.

Not sure if I needed to spend more time in the SLC area instead the Ogden area but the place doesn't seem abuzz about the new team I didn't see much as far as ads or billboards. Its hard to find a bar with a lot of TVs (looked to be one or two total if any for all the places we went). Seems like every place is closed early on weekdays and Sundays and Mondays are typically closed.

I can get why players and wives/gf would not like moving there, it feels very small town. If you are driving through SLC and blink you will likely miss seeing the city (exaggeration but you get the point). Interested to see how this shapes up in the next few years.
Draft kids from Manitoba and Saskatchewan. And Finland and Slovakia. And Belarus.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ

Utah is the kind of state that would sell water flavored gum...assuming chewing gum is legal anyway. haha

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
Yeah I’m not sure what the right answer is. I wasn’t offended. The message was “take that crap to the Utah board” so I said fair enough. It’s different for everyone. I’ve seen some pretty nasty stuff on Twitter. It’s not like that here which is good.

Draft kids from Manitoba and Saskatchewan. And Finland and Slovakia. And Belarus.
I suppose there isn't a right answer, part of what sucks about this whole situation.

I think it's more complicated than simply drafting from rural areas. For example Wisconsin is rural but the distance between Utah culture and Wisconsin culture could probably be measured in light years.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
The litmus test I put myself through when considering continuing to follow the team was this: “would I feel any joy if next year they’re really good, Josh Doan is a Calder candidate, Gunther is 30 goal scorer, and Keller gets 90 points and they make the playoffs?” My answer was a resounding f*** no. So that’s it.
Thankfully it will probably take at least 4-5 years before there's any fear of us getting Nordiqued.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012

I don't get your last paragraph? SLC downtown looks not that different than Phoenix downtown and it's darn near a 2 hour drive from start of Metro area to finish north to south.

Reactions: lanky

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
I don't get your last paragraph? SLC downtown looks not that different than Phoenix downtown and it's darn near a 2 hour drive from start of Metro area to finish north to south.
If you were to take Mesa and make it about 2.5x bigger, you'd have SLC. You probably don't get that either though.

Reactions: PainForShane

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
If you were to take Mesa and make it about 2.5x bigger, you'd have SLC. You probably don't get that either though.
And you wouldn't blink and miss Mesa now or if it was 2.5 times it's size.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
And you wouldn't blink and miss Mesa now or if it was 2.5 times it's size.
I can't even remember the last time I was in Mesa, I guess maybe driving through it on the N 202 a couple of years ago, not really sure. It's easily the most forgettable of the "major" Phoenix suburbs and I think they like it that way.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
You are kin
I can't even remember the last time I was in Mesa, I guess maybe driving through it on the N 202 a couple of years ago, not really sure. It's easily the most forgettable of the "major" Phoenix suburbs and I think they like it that way.
Kinda making my point. OP says SLC can be misses with a blink yet it kinda resembles the unremarkable skyline of Phoenix with most places just strip mall and houses like Mesa. That's why I don't understand how someone in Phoenix can question a similar City that way?

JasonDemersWasOkay

Nov 14, 2018
You are kin

Kinda making my point. OP says SLC can be misses with a blink yet it kinda resembles the unremarkable skyline of Phoenix with most places just strip mall and houses like Mesa. That's why I don't understand how someone in Phoenix can question a similar City that way?
Cuz f*** SLC is why

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
...now drive east-to-west...and there's your difference. SLC has that in common with Miami of all places - SLC is wedged between mountains and a desert (and a very salty lake, hence the name), Miami is wedged between an ocean and a swamp, but both go very far in those 2 directions.

Valley of the Sun, it *Sprawls*. Not saying that it's good or bad it just...is.

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
...now drive east-to-west...and there's your difference. SLC has that in common with Miami of all places - SLC is wedged between mountains and a desert (and a very salty lake, hence the name), Miami is wedged between an ocean and a swamp, but both go very far in those 2 directions.

Valley of the Sun, it *Sprawls*. Not saying that it's good or bad it just...is.
What difference? There is no east to west but you can't blink and miss it anymore than you can blink abd miss Phoenix. SLC metro area definitely sprawls and I said it's almost 2 hours to drive through.

Sinurgy

Approaching infinity
Sponsor
Feb 8, 2004
AZ
You are kin

I don't think that's the case at all, Mesa is a bubble that generally does not represent the greater Phoenix area. It's very much it's own thing and while yes I would agree it is very comparable to SLC (culturally at least), it is not comparable to the rest of Phoenix.

Reactions: PainForShane

Jamieh

Apr 25, 2012
I don't think that's the case at all, Mesa is a bubble that generally does not represent the greater Phoenix area. It's very much it's own thing and while yes I would agree it is very comparable to SLC (culturally at least), it is not comparable to the rest of Phoenix.
Not sure I need to backup arguments I've never made? SLC skyline isn't that much different than Phoenix skyline. Rest of SLC metro not that much different to the eye than rest of Phoenix metro. Hence why I didn't understand the blink and you might miss it. OP kinda might think Phoenix had NYC skyline when really it's a sprawl City with small downtown unremarkable to the eye like most Cities. The Mesa post from me was about looks,not vibes or anything else.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad