What Would You Do With This Team Over the Offseason?

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
All new A-Z coaching.

Get rid of JT and MM

New scouting elements. New lead in that dept. New focus on tenders and Dmen.

Address G and D and replace forwards..

Reactions: glue

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Except for the very first series against Boston...JT has been pretty much invisible. Tell me the series that he played well in please....and don't count a random shot that was going wide and hit a skate to win against TB. That was as flukey as you can get. He was a ppg player on the NYI...he has not improved at all considering he always had the crutch of being on the Isles and having no superstar to play with. Well, he had MM and WN since he has been here and guess what? He is a ppg player who tailed off this year. He was paid too much for what he brought to the team.
Tavares: 12 goals, 12 assists (24 points) in 37 playoff games.

Not horrible numbers.

And I thought he was excellent in both the 2022 & 2023 Tampa series. Winning goal aside, he was a huge reason why they got over the hump against Tampa last year over those 6 games.

When you sign a 28 year old free agent to a 7-year deal, we always knew that there was going to be some pain towards the back end of that contract. He still put up 65 points this year.

The bigger issue here might be your unreasonable expectations around a 33 year old who has never been the best or fastest skater. If you still expect him to be a highly impactful driver of play at this stage, you simply aren't being fair to the player

alliuk12

Feb 1, 2011
37 wins in 57 games works out to a 106 point pace, which is their average over the last six seasons.
But how many more wins would they have had if he wasn’t there. They lost the last 4 games because someone wanted him to be the player that got him 70 goals I always thought this was a team sport not a individual sport

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
Something like this might work if they have the stomach for it.

Marner (11) + Robertson (1) + Liljegren (2) + Hildeby + 1st 2024 + 1st 2026 to Islanders for Pulock (6x6) + Sorokin (8x8)

Tavares (11) + Cowan + Niemela + 1st 2027 + 1st 2028 + 2nd 2027 + 2nd 2028 to Columbus for Jenner (2×3.75) + Marchenko (RFA) + Werenski 50% retained (4x4.75)

Assuming everyone else comes back:

Bertuzzi/Matthews/Nylander
Knies/Jenner/Marchenko
Gregor/Domi/Jarnkrok
McMann/Kampf/Holmberg
*Reaves, Dewar

Werenski/Pulock
Rielly/McCabe
Benoit/Chump

Sorokin
Woll

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
But how many more wins would they have had if he wasn’t there. They lost the last 4 games because someone wanted him to be the player that got him 70 goals I always thought this was a team sport not a individual sport
Without his 69 goals? I suspect fewer.

At the end of the season, when they already have a playoff spot, I'm not too concerned about the team trying to get a couple of guys milestones. It wasn't just Matty and Willy sacrificing team play for individual records - the whole team was doing it for them, which in a way is a good thing.

Would winning any or all of those games have made a difference? It might have given them home ice, but since they went 2-2 on the road and 1-2 at home....

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: arso40

Dough72

Sep 3, 2008
Something like this might work if they have the stomach for it.

Marner (11) + Robertson (1) + Liljegren (2) + Hildeby + 1st 2024 + 1st 2026 to Islanders for Pulock (6x6) + Sorokin (8x8)

Tavares (11) + Cowan + Niemela + 1st 2027 + 1st 2028 + 2nd 2027 + 2nd 2028 to Columbus for Jenner (2×3.75) + Marchenko (RFA) + Werenski 50% retained (4x4.75)

Assuming everyone else comes back:

Bertuzzi/Matthews/Nylander
Knies/Jenner/Marchenko
Gregor/Domi/Jarnkrok
McMann/Kampf/Holmberg
*Reaves, Dewar

Werenski/Pulock
Rielly/McCabe
Benoit/Chump

Sorokin
Woll
is Werenski a powerplay guy? Thought he takes wristers like Reilly but not really sure. Maybe the Klingberg signing shows they want a guy with a big slapshot. I like your trade ideas anyway. No idea on value but just a huge shakeup and landing a goalie and D would be nice would at least add some randomness.

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
I'd give Marner a raise of 1 mil and a 5 year deal. There would not be a NMC or NTC. Then I trade this clown asap.

• Haha

BallardEra

Leafs&Caps Since 1982™
Dec 26, 2017
East York, Ontario
OK guys. By now you know that I'm not one to make crap up. I have a buddy in the nutrition industry that supplies supplements to a few NHL players. One of them is Cody Ceci who he knows quite well. A couple of years ago he told me Ceci had Covid. When I went to the Oilers board to mention it, some called me a troll and then a few hours later it came out that he did in fact test positive for COVID.

Last Friday night just as the Panthers vs Bruins game had started, his phone was ringing and he showed me the name. I saw the last "Ferris" and thought it was Marner's agent. He told me it wasn't Darren but that it was his brother instead. He didn't want to answer the phone with 3 of us there so he ignored him.

I'm working on trying to see what I can find out!

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
Marner (at 9 No extension) for Necas (7x7) and a 3rd almost makes too much sense but you’d prefer to send him west but it’d save the team 4.5 minimum but not that steep a downgrade in quality.

Don’t like that Marner for Saros idea even if Saros would be our best goalie since Eddie and Saros-Woll would have beaten Boston.

Lots of money out the door. Klingberg, Murray, Jones, Sammy, Gio, Brodie, one of Edmundson/Boosh, Bert and Gregor gone. I’d maybe bring back Jones and Gregor for cheap depth.

I came around a little on Reaves at the end but he’s still a liability and we’re stuck with him, but he should only be playing 40-50 games a year. JT can take 2x6 and 10 team trade list and promise of a front office job in the future after the season is over, enough years after that to try for a few kicks at the can elsewhere, you won’t get better for less, make a winger who takes face offs if the Leafs get Necas, who I’m also pretty sure plays both.

Team is actually healthy cap wise. See if you can get Domi, Dewar and Robertson back, probably about 7 there.

D wise bring back Lily and Edmundson and I haven’t decided on Boosh, probably again 6ish there.

Need a guy who can potentially handle 30+ games, only two jump out at me, Stolarz and Nedelkjovic(?), but don’t want to spend too much.

Don’t know who could be available on D in a trade - a 1A type ideally big, but not Zadorov and I doubt Ottawa trades us Chychrun, that’s cap and assets depending who it is everything reasonable is on offer.

What’s going to happen with Minten, Niemela and Cowan? I can see one of them making camp and who else? Did you know of Bobby McMann one year ago from today? The system is decent, good on F, okay on D and G, doesn’t have a high end guy - they pick 23rd and this looks like a draft that doesn’t have a truly elite talent - or maybe it does? - but a good amount of variety and depth. Could use a a flashy center or high end goalie prospect, but that pick is up for grabs in the right deal.

Big move that seems destined to happen, bring back some guys and say goodbye to others, backup goalie, keep a look at the D market and give the kids and guys who paid dues shots.

They aren’t as good as the team that beat them but have less holes to fill and are probably about what they were; a 105-110 point 4-5th seed and will end up getting to play Tampa, again.

Knies Matthews Domi
Tavares Necas Willy
McMann Homlberg Jarnkrok
Dewar Kampf Robertson
(Gregor)

Rielly ???*
Benoit McCabe
Edmundson Liljegren
???

Woll
Stolarz
(Jones)

* Time’s ticking, Timmy.

Last edited:

thewave

Jun 17, 2011
Dump guys that dont bring it in the PO.

Bring guys in that bring it in the POs.

Hockey is only rocket science to MLSE. For everyone else the eye test does a pretty good job at putting a team together.

Someone has to say this because the Leafs most like wont. Remember that the Marlies should be coached almost identically to the Leafs. You need to mention things like that because MLSE tends to scatter brain and lose the plot. You know like Brian Burke getting truculance for your run and gun coach Wilson.

Reactions: arso40 and glue

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Marner (at 9 No extension) for Necas (7x7) and a 3rd almost makes too much sense but you’d prefer to send him west but it’d save the team 4.5 minimum but not that steep a downgrade in quality.

Don’t like that Marner for Saros idea even if Saros would be our best goalie since Eddie and Saros-Woll would have beaten Boston.

Lots of money out the door. Klingberg, Murray, Jones, Sammy, Gio, Brodie, one of Edmundson/Boosh, Bert and Gregor gone. I’d maybe bring back Jones and Gregor for cheap depth.

I came around a little on Reaves at the end but he’s still a liability and we’re stuck with him, but he should only be playing 40-50 games a year. JT can take 2x6 and 10 team trade list and promise of a front office job in the future after the season is over, enough years after that to try for a few kicks at the can elsewhere, you won’t get better for less, make a winger who takes face offs if the Leafs get Necas, who I’m also pretty sure plays both.

Team is actually healthy cap wise. See if you can get Domi, Dewar and Robertson back, probably about 7 there.

D wise bring back Lily and Edmundson and I haven’t decided on Boosh, probably again 6ish there.

Need a guy who can potentially handle 30+ games, only two jump out at me, Stolarz and Nedelkjovic(?), but don’t want to spend too much.

Don’t know who could be available on D in a trade - a 1A type ideally big, but not Zadorov and I doubt Ottawa trades us Chychrun, that’s cap and assets depending who it is everything reasonable is on offer.

What’s going to happen with Minten, Niemela and Cowan? I can see one of them making camp and who else? Did you know of Bobby McMann one year ago from today? The system is decent, good on F, okay on D and G, doesn’t have a high end guy - they pick 23rd and this looks like a draft that doesn’t have a truly elite talent - or maybe it does? - but a good amount of variety and depth. Could use a a flashy center or high end goalie prospect, but that pick is up for grabs in the right deal.

Big move that seems destined to happen, bring back some guys and say goodbye to others, backup goalie, keep a look at the D market and give the kids and guys who paid dues shots.

They aren’t as good as the team that beat them but have less holes to fill and are probably about what they were; a 105-110 point 4-5th seed and will end up getting to play Tampa, again.

Knies Matthews Domi
Tavares Necas Willy
McMann Homlberg Jarnkrok
Dewar Kampf Robertson
(Gregor)

Rielly ???*
Benoit McCabe
Edmundson Liljegren
???

Woll
Stolarz
(Jones)

* Time’s ticking, Timmy.
LOL.

SmoggyTwinkles

Go Leafs Go
Aug 5, 2010
Oshawa
www.bing.com
Well, that Round 1 exit sucked, to put it mildly.

Here's my wish list:

1. I'm not as down on Keefe as many are, but it's time for a coaching change regardless of his performance.
2. Marner isn't some glaring liability by any stretch, but if we have the opportunity to move him for a fair price, I'd do it at this point.
3. Matthews is fine in the playoffs, he's not the problem.
4. I'm fine with keeping Tavares through until the end of his contract, though I know that's maybe an unpopular opinion. Certainly don't want to resign him unless his price goes waaaaaaaay down, but I don't think a buyout is warranted.
5. Keep Domi, move on from Bertuzzi.
6. Woll is the #1, that's pretty obvious, let Sammy walk.
7. Resign Knies/Dewar/Gregor when their RFA time comes.
8. I don't know if there's a way to get value from Liljgren's contract, a sign and trade or whatever, but would like to see him gone. I had high hopes from him but seems like he's just not figuring it out in Toronto for whatever the reason is.
9. Cya Brodie.

1. Not spend any time thinking about it. Call me in October.

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
is Werenski a powerplay guy? Thought he takes wristers like Reilly but not really sure. Maybe the Klingberg signing shows they want a guy with a big slapshot. I like your trade ideas anyway. No idea on value but just a huge shakeup and landing a goalie and D would be nice would at least add some randomness.

Until he got hurt Werenski was a stud.

I don't watch enough Columbus games to know all about him. Just mainiy going off stats and reputation. But at $4.75M I don't think they can go wrong.

All the guys I suggested are signed long term.

May as well unload those picks and prospects for proven stars now. It's time to go big or go home. I think it would be a bigger gamble keeping them and hoping they turn into the players you're trading for anyway.

Is this team really all-in or are they just saying that.

Up until now they've only being making the ante then folding after the flop. The entire team doesn't have a spine and that includes management. These guys have been given so many chances only to stink it up every time.

Like my underwear they're overdue for a change.

Oct 18, 2010
Nothing. It's too late and the last 5 years have destroyed this team's ability to win anything for the next 10 years minimum. It doesn't matter what flashy splashy move they make to drum up hype, the foundation is faulty.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Start easy.
Find a sucker to take Ryan Reaves

For those who don't know ...

While this is a 35+ contract, it is exempt from the 35+ buyout rules because it is either 1). One year in length, or 2). Not front-loaded and does not have a signing bonus after the first contract year (as per the 2020 MOU). Please see the Buyout FAQ for more information

NMacrules

May 30, 2021
And there will be zero takers. He's a 9 million buck player AT BEST.
Thats hilarious you think that. There are 6 teams everyone is talking about can match a 13 mil cap hit. Nashville just cleaned out a bunch of salary for a potential Marner trade.

Cams

May 27, 2008
Windsor, ON
Thats hilarious you think that. There are 6 teams everyone is talking about can match a 13 mil cap hit. Nashville just cleaned out a bunch of salary for a potential Marner trade.
Nashville is also taking a cap hit for the Duchesne buyout, and still on Turris as well.

Reactions: NMacrules

alliuk12

Feb 1, 2011
Without his 69 goals? I suspect fewer.

At the end of the season, when they already have a playoff spot, I'm not too concerned about the team trying to get a couple of guys milestones. It wasn't just Matty and Willy sacrificing team play for individual records - the whole team was doing it for them, which in a way is a good thing.

Would winning any or all of those games have made a difference? It might have given them home ice, but since they went 2-2 on the road and 1-2 at home....
but what about the other players that were playing to win it was all to say we had a 70 goal scorer but he did shit in the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad