ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
Not the most deluded Oiler fan post I've seen but certainly a contender
Bouchard vs Van

7GP, 4G 7A 11P +7. 8 points at even strength.

65% CF
62.7% XGF
67.29% SCF
67.39% HDCF

10-4 5v5 goals for/against
played 25:55 a night

If that's not a stomping, I don't know what is. Bouchard outperforming Hughes by a wide margin is one of the biggest reasons Edmonton took that series.

Trash Panda

May 12, 2021
Bouchard vs Van

65% CF
62.7% XGF
67.29% SCF
67.39% HDCF

If that's not a stomping, I don't know what is. Bouchard outperforming Hughes by a wide margin is one of the biggest reasons Edmonton took that series.
Hughes was wildly disappointing in that series, for all the Hype he garnered this year with the Norris nomination.

Dude is the American Erik Karlsson.

nturn06

Nov 9, 2017
Bouchard vs Van

65% CF
62.7% XGF
67.29% SCF
67.39% HDCF

Who cares that without him the Oilers would had not won the series... He is an ECHL D-man at best, and the Oilers should not play him.... Eyetest or something ;)

AvroArrow

Mitch "The God" Marner
Jun 10, 2011
Toronto
He's also +10 leading the playoffs.
I can promise you that number is going to get destroyed in the WCF, Dallas might be the deepest team in the league. Going to be a nightmare trying to line match from Edmontons perspective, expecting this to be over in 5.

As for the thread title, when he stops being babysat on defence. Guy has an absolute rocket of a shot, the great thing about him as an Oilers fan is that all his flaws are coachable. I said the same thing about Hughes a year or two ago, so I fully expect these things to be sorted out in the near future for him.

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I can promise you that number is going to get destroyed in the WCF, Dallas might be the deepest team in the league. Going to be a nightmare trying to line match from Edmontons perspective, expecting this to be over in 5.

As for the thread title, when he stops being babysat on defence. Guy has an absolute rocket of a shot, the great thing about him as an Oilers fan is that all his flaws are coachable. I said the same thing about Hughes a year or two ago, so I fully expect these things to be sorted out in the near future for him.
To have a chance, our stars have to be better than theirs and we're going to need Skinner to be at least Oettinger's equal. A tall task, but not impossible.

Bouchard's been very good defensively these playoffs too. McDavid and Draisaitl both spoke about how good he's been on both sides of the puck.

He's also now the only defenceman in the history of the league to have 20+ points in the first two rounds of the playoffs.

Reactions: AvroArrow

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
Been enjoying watching Bouchard contribute in these playoffs in a big way. For the longest time, Nurse seemed to be mentioned as a mainstay for the Oilers. I have never seen Nurse as elite and reliable when it really counts. Bouchard has been lights out. Regardless of regular season numbers, he has been a juggernault these players, when it really counts. He will get a well deserved nice extension when the time comes.

Frank Drebin

He's just a child
Sponsor
Mar 9, 2004
Edmonton
To have a chance, our stars have to be better than theirs and we're going to need Skinner to be at least Oettinger's equal. A tall task, but not impossible.

Bouchard's been very good defensively these playoffs too. McDavid and Draisaitl both spoke about how good he's been on both sides of the puck.

He's also now the only defenceman in the history of the league to have 20+ points in the first two rounds of the playoffs.
I have some hope as ottinger hasn't been superhuman this spring.

The fellas playing goal in the east though let's not talk about that

ijuka

May 14, 2016

Here's the thing. If Bouchard(and the rest of the first unit) get outperformed by Dallas, Oilers have just about no hope of winning. In that case, Oilers' other units would need to be playing positive hockey. And the other two defensive pairings? They have been absolutely brutal in comparison to Bouchard+Ekholm. If not Bouchard+Ekholm, which of the two other pairings would be playing positive hockey in their stead?

And yes, if they get destroyed by a stronger opponent, then the team's players will likely have negative +/-. That's hardly a knock on an individual player.

Assuming the series is competitive, I'd expect Bouchard's +/- to go up, rather than down.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
All I've seen on here is people saying Bouchard is a PP merchant, product of Ekholm etc.

He's got 37 pts in the past 24 playoff games, he's +10 in plus minus this playoffs, 3 game winning goals. He was 4th highest scoring dman in the regular season with over a PPG and +34 in plus/minus.

I've watched a ton of Oilers games and he passes the eye test too imo. He's often the key to Oilers getting out of their own zone. And his play in the offensive zone is unmatched.

I'm just wondering what he has to do in order for people to consider him elite? He's basically setting playoff records for dmen and nobody gives him notice.
A lot of people won't consider him elite as long as he plays with McDavid and Draisaitl. Heck, we see some still suggesting that Draisaitl is just a product of McDavid, so that should tell you what the haters are going to say.

The reality of it is, that Bouchard has become elite offensively at both 5 on 5 and the powerplay, and his defense has improved by leaps and bounds over the past two years. Is that because he is paired with Ekholm? It probably helps, having a steady defensive partner always helps the #1 defenseman out. Always. But he's still producing even with Ekholm being under the weather, and he was clutch in every game in the playoffs so far. He is an elite passer, has a cannon of a shot, and has realized that he doesn't have to shy away from getting hit by forecheckers coming in hard, which is something he could have been criticized for in his earlier years. The guy is a legit #1 - he has been playing like one for nearly 2 full seasons now, but he won't fully get the respect he deserves.

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
Hughes was wildly disappointing in that series, for all the Hype he garnered this year with the Norris nomination.

Dude is the American Erik Karlsson.
Hughes was at best the 3rd best defenseman in that series. I wouldn't put Zadorov over him just because of QoC but either way he was behind Bouchard and Ekholm.

Reactions: ManofSteel55

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
Here's the thing. If Bouchard(and the rest of the first unit) get outperformed by Dallas, Oilers have just about no hope of winning. In that case, Oilers' other units would need to be playing positive hockey. And the other two defensive pairings? They have been absolutely brutal in comparison to Bouchard+Ekholm. If not Bouchard+Ekholm, which of the two other pairings would be playing positive hockey in their stead?

And yes, if they get destroyed by a stronger opponent, then the team's players will likely have negative +/-. That's hardly a knock on an individual player.

Assuming the series is competitive, I'd expect Bouchard's +/- to go up, rather than down.
I would say that Dallas has a far better second defense pair than Edmonton does, but I also think that either Kulak and Ceci or Nurse and Desharnais match up very well to Dallas' bottom pair. Edmonton's blueline has looked a lot better the last couple of games, after they flipped up the pairs a bit. Ceci has been playing the best hockey of his life (thank the gods that we didn't flip him+ to Philly for Walker), and Desharnais has been far more reliable than he was a year ago. It isn't perfect back there, that's for sure, but if Nurse can figure his struggles out, then I really don't have any concerns on the Oilers blueline. It's Dallas' scoring depth that could be the biggest test for the Oilers. Even the fourth line could be problematic, Sam Steel always plays well against Edmonton unfortunately.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad