Value of: Who stays and who goes in Vancouver this summer?

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
What moves do you think Vancouver makes this summer?

I think they will try to re-sign both Lindholm and Zadorov. Joshua and Garland should stay but don't think they can afford Joshua. Get a winger for Pettersson. Make Silovs the backup and let go of Desmith. Keep one of Myers or Hronek but not both.

Last edited:

BCNate

Apr 3, 2016
Stays:
Lindholm
Joshua
Zadorov
Myers

Goes:
Blueger
Lafferty
Cole
Friedman
DeSmith
I expect us to also move Mikheyev somehow, whether it be with a sweetener or buyout.

Hronek is s funny one for me. He was very good this year, but I'm not sure the Canucks are going to be willing to pay what he may demand. We could spend his $ on a stay at home D for QH and use the rest on a winger.

Silovs will be our back up and Podkolzin, Raty, Karlsson should make the jump to the NHl at some point. I expect Lekkerimaki will be on the roster full time by xmas as well.

I'm excited for the offseason. This management group built this year's team with no cap flexibility at all. They have a fair amount this season to build out the roster, should be very interesting.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Stays:
Lindholm
Joshua
Zadorov
Myers

Goes:
Blueger
Lafferty
Cole
Friedman
DeSmith
I expect us to also move Mikheyev somehow, whether it be with a sweetener or buyout.

Hronek is s funny one for me. He was very good this year, but I'm not sure the Canucks are going to be willing to pay what he may demand. We could spend his $ on a stay at home D for QH and use the rest on a winger.

Silovs will be our back up and Podkolzin, Raty, Karlsson should make the jump to the NHl at some point. I expect Lekkerimaki will be on the roster full time by xmas as well.

I'm excited for the offseason. This management group built this year's team with no cap flexibility at all. They have a fair amount this season to build out the roster, should be very interesting.
Goes: All ex-Penguins.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Need to retain:
Joshua
Zadorov
Lindholm
Total current cap $9,425,000

Gone:
Cole
Lafferty
Freidman
Blueger
DeSmith
Total current cap $8,925,000

Need to lose:
Mikheyev
Total current cap $4,750,000

Likely re-sign at lower cap hit:
Myers
Total current cap $6,000,000

Total cap in potential play $29,100,000

So essentially, the team will need to retain or bring back Myers, Zadorov, Lindholm, Joshua and they'll have almost $30,000,000 to do so. Yes I am aware this means that all goes well MIkheyev leaves without adding cap and that there are no serious extension issues.

Suggesting that Myers drops to a $3 million player, Zadorov doesn't get more than $5.25 million and Lindholm doesn't demand or request or garner more than about $6.25 million. Leaving of course Joshua who should get around $2 million or less as an effective bottom 6 winger with size.

It is ABSOLUTELY possible for the Canucks to do this in a perfect world. As Myers wants to stay in Vancouver and Joshua and Zadorov both making statements about wanting to renew in the city. But words are not signed contracts.

The Canucks are in a unique place in that this year is possible but the next 2 seasons sees OELs dead cap raise to 4.75 million. Zadorov and Joshua to me are the must haves simply based on the size and style they play. Lindholm is a question mark with his production. 5 good games through 2 rounds of play does not excuse his last 2 ish seasons.

This is not even considering the elephant in the room in Boeser who with potentially severe blood clotting issues, he may in fact never be able to play at the pro level again giving the Canucks almost $7 million to play with.

Honestly, the Canucks are not in as bad as people think. Hronek is the big question mark but I'd argue that his demands of $8 million get lowered seeing as how he was an obvious passenger to Hughes or he gets traded for a quality return to fill the holes the off season can't.

Will be interesting to see what this team manages

Reactions: hn777 and wetcoast

Brookbank

Nov 15, 2022
Honestly, the Canucks are not in as bad as people think. Hronek is the big question mark but I'd argue that his demands of $8 million get lowered seeing as how he was an obvious passenger to Hughes or he gets traded for a quality return to fill the holes the off season can't.

Hronek was the main reason why Myers looked serviceable this year. He was able to reduce Myers ice time. If he was an obvious passenger, he would have fell down the depth chart. Which he didn't.

Defenseman usually peak closer to 30. He is 2 years younger than peak Erhoff was. He will probably get bridged over 2 years in the low 7's. And then put up Erhoff numbers. Then we are really screwed. Or we can get him with term in the high 7's. But everyone is scared of that.

Do we really want to go poverty on the right side again to save a million in change ? I sure hope management isn't that clueless

How often to RFA's get traded over contract negs ? The fanbase seems to think this is a Horvat situation. It isn't.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Need to retain:
Joshua
Zadorov
Lindholm

Gone:
Cole
Lafferty
Freidman
Blueger
DeSmith

Need to lose:
Mikheyev

Myers

So essentially, the team will need to retain or bring back Myers, Zadorov, Lindholm, Joshua and they'll have almost $30,000,000 to do so. Yes I am aware this means that all goes well MIkheyev leaves without adding cap and that there are no serious extension issues.

Suggesting that Myers drops to a $3 million player, Zadorov doesn't get more than $5.25 million and Lindholm doesn't demand or request or garner more than about $6.25 million. Leaving of course Joshua who should get around $2 million or less as an effective bottom 6 winger with size.

It is ABSOLUTELY possible for the Canucks to do this in a perfect world. As Myers wants to stay in Vancouver and Joshua and Zadorov both making statements about wanting to renew in the city. But words are not signed contracts.

The Canucks are in a unique place in that this year is possible but the next 2 seasons sees OELs dead cap raise to 4.75 million. Zadorov and Joshua to me are the must haves simply based on the size and style they play. Lindholm is a question mark with his production. 5 good games through 2 rounds of play does not excuse his last 2 ish seasons.

This is not even considering the elephant in the room in Boeser who with potentially severe blood clotting issues, he may in fact never be able to play at the pro level again giving the Canucks almost $7 million to play with.

Zero chance Lindholm signs at 6.25. North of 8 for sure. He's the premier UFA center. He's cashing a big cheque.

Nuckler

May 7, 2013
Realistically Joshua is getting mid 3s with probably 4 years term.

Myers might cost more than people think, he was good this year and in the playoffs.

Zadorov was great in the playoffs, but we also have Soucy on the left behind Hughes and d-pete coming. Do we want to sign a guy who is nearly 30 for 6+ years at 5+ mil? I'd look to upgrade on zadorov and push Soucy to the 3rd pair, then ease d-pete in a year or 2 down the road.

Lindholm is great but I think we should use that money for some bonafide top 6 wingers for Pete. I think bleuger worked well with Joshua and garland on the third line. Lindholm would be a luxury there. Would rather spend that money on Guentzal on a guy we trade for.

Hronek was good the first half but probably dealing with an injury the second half. Depending his ask if keep him for Hughes if it's reasonable or I'd trade him for another top 6 wingers(buchnevich, Crouse, that mold) and sign tanev to play with Hughes for a couple of seasons. We also have walliander coming in the next 2-3ish years.

If we can run
Suter-miller-brock
Guentzal(8.75)-Pete-buchnevich(5.8)
Joshua(3.25)-bluegar(2.2)-garland
Pdg-Aman-podz

Hughes-tanev(4)
Soucy-myers(4)
Dillon(3.7)-joulssen

Attach hoglander to mikeyev to move him, use hronek to bring in Buch(or Crouse who's cheaper) and that still leaves 200k under the cap

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
He's barely a top 6 center at this point, hes not getting 8 million who ever pays that will regret it
You'll see. He's going to still get 8+ per year. He does everything a playoff team wants. Wins draws, kills penalties, right shot, good in matchups. He'll get paid.

Riggins

Jul 12, 2002
Vancouver, BC
This is Dakota Joshua's one chance to cash in. He should go to market and take the biggest and longest contract offered even if it's from a garbage team.

Someone will give Zadorov a stupid amount of money. Not sure it will be the Canucks.

Lindholm is more of a luxury for Vancouver as they already have Miller and Pettersson at C.

I'd imagine they bring Myers back, as well as Hronek (RFA).

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
Every team in the league would offer Lindholm 6.25. He'll get 8-8.5 pretty easily. Maybe more honestly, you just can't get all around centers in free agency often.

Not sure how they plan on replacing Hronek if they don't re-sign him. Didn't they just spend like 3 years complaining how they couldn't find someone to play with Hughes? That would be my #1 priority.

credulous

Nov 18, 2021
lindholm, joshua and zadorov are all going to try to cash in and i doubt vancouver is the top bidder for any of them

myers will be back unless some team like toronto throws an offer he can't refuse his way

blueger might be back. maybe someone like friedman. doubt lafferty, cole or desmith even get a phone call from the canucks

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Need to retain:
Joshua
Zadorov
Lindholm

Gone:
Cole
Lafferty
Freidman
Blueger
DeSmith

Need to lose:
Mikheyev

Myers

Good post except Joshua is getting at least the double $2 million that you suggest here.

Hronek is the wildcard for me as after a certain amount in a 7 or 8 year term it gets too costly for me and maybe stop gaps until EP2.0and Willander are ready.

It will be a very interesting offseason for the Canucks and a couple of other teams as well.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
Good post except Joshua is getting at least the double $2 million that you suggest here.

Hronek is the wildcard for me as after a certain amount in a 7 or 8 year term it gets too costly for me and maybe stop gaps until EP2.0and Willander are ready.

It will be a very interesting offseason for the Canucks and a couple of other teams as well.
Anyone who wants to pay Joshua $4 million a year is welcome to. Much like paying Lindholm $8 million.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Anyone who wants to pay Joshua $4 million a year is welcome to. Much like paying Lindholm $8 million.
The Canucks have no one like Joshua in the system and most teams don't.
I take the over at 4 million for him that's the market for him.

Also 4 million isn't a big deal if the player craps out 8 million really is though.

Warh1ppy

Feb 14, 2018
The Canucks have no one like Joshua in the system and most teams don't.
I take the over at 4 million for him that's the market for him.

Also 4 million isn't a big deal if the player craps out 8 million really is though.
4 million isnt that big of a deal until it's the 3rd or 4th $4 million deal signed. The last 4-5 years of the former GM of Vancouver's tenure was full of deals just like that where guys were paid $1million to $2 million more than what they deserved and that accumulated.

Eriksson. Poolman. Vrbata, Sutter, Holtby, Sbisa, Ferland etc.

The moment one turns in to two or three or four over a multi season period all of a sudden there's an issue and once you've dictated that this is what you're willing to pay for a 3rd or 4th liner in a career year you've basically told every agent and free agent that this is their value ensuring nobody wants to sign for less.

It adds up.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary

There's 100% going to be. If you don't want Vancouver to pay it that's one thing but who the hell do you think is going to come in? They'll be in the same market unless you want to wait for august and pick up the scraps.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
4 million isnt that big of a deal until it's the 3rd or 4th $4 million deal signed. The last 4-5 years of the former GM of Vancouver's tenure was full of deals just like that where guys were paid $1million to $2 million more than what they deserved and that accumulated.

Eriksson. Poolman. Vrbata, Sutter, Holtby, Sbisa, Ferland etc.

The moment one turns in to two or three or four over a multi season period all of a sudden there's an issue and once you've dictated that this is what you're willing to pay for a 3rd or 4th liner in a career year you've basically told every agent and free agent that this is their value ensuring nobody wants to sign for less.

It adds up.
Fair enough but my main point still stands Joshua has a unique skillset that the market will sy is worth $4million+ on the market and we don't have any guys like him in the system.

8 million dollar mistakes have much more impact.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad