Prospect Info: Wild Prospect Thread 2023-2024

Wabit

May 23, 2016
Didn't Firstov have to clear waivers first for the contract termination? Looks like no one else wanted him either.

I'm seeing some parallels to Menell, where some fans (me included) felt like we lost a piece with potential for nothing. In reality he just unceremoniously ended up in Russia (and even became a Russian citizen)

I don't think anyone has ever been claimed off of contract termination (or buyout) waivers. It's more of a formality required by the CBA than anything else.

Wasted Talent

Sponsor
Aug 9, 2011
I don't think anyone has ever been claimed off of contract termination (or buyout) waivers. It's more of a formality required by the CBA than anything else.

Yeah that makes sense.

I assume Firstov wants to go back to KHL anyway, doubt it would make any sense for anyone to claim him for the last year of ELC anyway.

Digitalbooya

By order of the Peaky Blinders
Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
f*** this. I am not going to continue debating someone who's only stance is nuh uh you're wrong. Never seen them change their stance on anything and all they do is argue with everyone who doesn't hold their same view.
I’m curious what you think the Wild should have done. Bent the knee at the first threat of him leaving for the KHL?

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I’m curious what you think the Wild should have done. Bent the knee at the first threat of him leaving for the KHL?

There were 4 games left in the season; call him up for one or two of those games. See if he had any chemistry with any of the players or offered any value to the team. If not, cut him. If he did look good, well then, they don't have to go out and sign another scrub.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
There were 4 games left in the season; call him up for one or two of those games. See if he had any chemistry with any of the players or offered any value to the team. If not, cut him. If he did look good, well then, they don't have to go out and sign another scrub.
You don't reward players for being disloyal, entitled, and untalented(he showed nothing in his games with Iowa). Beckman, Walker, Bankier, Milne, even Swaney, I get. They've played hard for the team, and haven't pulled the "I'm too good for this" routine.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
You don't reward players for being disloyal, entitled, and untalented(he showed nothing in his games with Iowa). Beckman, Walker, Bankier, Milne, even Swaney, I get. They've played hard for the team, and haven't pulled the "I'm too good for this" routine.
Again, that's just speculation. Read the interview with him. As well, why is he getting punished for taking the college route instead of staying in the KHL/MHL? Khusnutdinov didn't show anything in the K. Ohgren didn't show much in the A (and yes I watched some highlights).

He came to North America after taking his time to develop in the AHL. Who in the last three seasons in the AHL have developed at all? Rossi? Duhaime? Dewar? Some stellar names there. Should Stramel be penalized for leaving Wisconsin after committing to the team?

Minnesota didn't NEED to let Firstov go, but they did loan him out. So there was some mutual agreement between team and player.

Also, he wasn't disloyal (he came back to play in the AHL), doesn't show he's entitled (was given the option to go back home and play in front of his family and under a legendary player and coach) and he's not untalented. He might not be as talented as Yurov, but I'd put him in the range of Ohgren/Khusnutdinov, maybe a step below.

Firstov never had any articles posted like Sokolov either or Khovanov questioning his inability to be coached.

Also something to consider: He was getting paid 70,000 in the AHL vs at least a couple hundred thousand in the KHL.

My final say is this; a lot of Wild fans are taking this way too personally like some jilted lover and trying to bash Firstov over perceived slights from biased sources. What is known is that the Wild gave Firstov permission to go back home (loaning him out) and didn't terminate his contract,. Maybe they tried trading him, but got not bids. Maybe they didn't think of extending Firstov next season and rather focus on another prospect like Petrovesky. Who knows.
---

How many games do you think Heidt is going to get? Also I'm curious to see how Haight does in the AHL and if Kumps will stay or not.

Last edited:

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Again, that's just speculation. Read the interview with him. As well, why is he getting punished for taking the college route instead of staying in the KHL/MHL? Khusnutdinov didn't show anything in the K. Ohgren didn't show much in the A (and yes I watched some highlights).

He came to North America after taking his time to develop in the AHL. Who in the last three seasons in the AHL have developed at all? Rossi? Duhaime? Dewar? Some stellar names there. Should Stramel be penalized for leaving Wisconsin after committing to the team?

Minnesota didn't NEED to let Firstov go, but they did loan him out. So there was some mutual agreement between team and player.

Also, he wasn't disloyal (he came back to play in the AHL), doesn't show he's entitled (was given the option to go back home and play in front of his family and under a legendary player and coach) and he's not untalented. He might not be as talented as Yurov, but I'd put him in the range of Ohgren/Khusnutdinov, maybe a step below.

Firstov never had any articles posted like Sokolov either or Khovanov questioning his inability to be coached.

Also something to consider: He was getting paid 70,000 in the AHL vs at least a couple hundred thousand in the KHL.

My final say is this; a lot of Wild fans are taking this way too personally like some jilted lover and trying to bash Firstov over perceived slights from biased sources. What is known is that the Wild gave Firstov permission to go back home (loaning him out) and didn't terminate his contract,. Maybe they tried trading him, but got not bids. Maybe they didn't think of extending Firstov next season and rather focus on another prospect like Petrovesky. Who knows.
---

How many games do you think Heidt is going to get? Also I'm curious to see how Haight does in the AHL and if Kumps will stay or not.
I disagree. We're just expressing that we see no reason why they should have provided him an opportunity in the NHL based upon his play and attitude in the past. Reversely, you seem to be the one beating the drum of Firstov being mistreated.

If you do USD to Ruble:
1716405885226.png

He would have made the equivalent of 6 million rubles in the AHL - so not really a sticking point of "he would have made more (hundreds of thousand rubles) in the KHL"

You keep linking Hockey Wilderness as if that's not some fanboys posting opinion on all things Wild. I'm not really sure what you're trying to prove with that.

Reactions: Wild11MN

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Should Stramel be penalized for leaving Wisconsin after committing to the team?
I’m confused by this point. It’s like if Firstov went from one KHL team to another, it has nothing to do with the situation being discussed.

I doubt very much that Stramel will be gifted NHL time. He will have to earn his way up through the AHL when the time comes.

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
I’m confused by this point. It’s like if Firstov went from one KHL team to another, it has nothing to do with the situation being discussed.

I doubt very much that Stramel will be gifted NHL time. He will have to earn his way up through the AHL when the time comes.
Honestly, after I read that a few times I'm even confused where I was going with that. I'm leaving it in, because I don't want people to get even more confused.

With that said, how many games do you think Heidt will get and will it be on the top line? I really, really wish he could go to the AHL. Him and Haight would be a good line.

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Honestly, after I read that a few times I'm even confused where I was going with that. I'm leaving it in, because I don't want people to get even more confused.

With that said, how many games do you think Heidt will get and will it be on the top line? I really, really wish he could go to the AHL. Him and Haight would be a good line.
Totally fair. In regards to Firstov, I do think they could have given him a game or two at the end of the year once we were mathematically eliminated. Part of me wonders if they didn’t have a roster spot available with Ohgren being called up. Ohgren is more of a priority than either of Firstov or Khusnutdinov IMO.

I’ll go with at least 9 games and I don’t think he sees the top line at all. It’s pretty rare for a guy to play top of the lineup during his rookie (D+2) season. If he can and doesn’t look out of place, the lineup looks really solid.

Is Haight AHL bound next year? I try to catch Iowa games when I can. Could be another reason to renew my AHL TV subscription.

Reactions: Obvious Fabertism

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta
Totally fair. In regards to Firstov, I do think they could have given him a game or two at the end of the year once we were mathematically eliminated. Part of me wonders if they didn’t have a roster spot available with Ohgren being called up. Ohgren is more of a priority than either of Firstov or Khusnutdinov IMO.

I’ll go with at least 9 games and I don’t think he sees the top line at all. It’s pretty rare for a guy to play top of the lineup during his rookie (D+2) season. If he can and doesn’t look out of place, the lineup looks really solid.

Is Haight AHL bound next year? I try to catch Iowa games when I can. Could be another reason to renew my AHL TV subscription.
I'd say so. 20 years old.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

thestonedkoala

Going Dark
Aug 27, 2004
Hate to say it but they could have shifted Beckman down to the AHL or Lettieri or Lucchini. But meh, I don't think any four of them had a future with the Wild.
Should be. Wish Lorenz was as well. I can't remember where I heard the rumor but they could also be looking at Petrovsky later in the offseason.

I'm curious to know what's going to happen to Pionk. He'll be 22 next season, will he take a jump?

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
Hate to say it but they could have shifted Beckman down to the AHL or Lettieri or Lucchini. But meh, I don't think any four of them had a future with the Wild.

Should be. Wish Lorenz was as well. I can't remember where I heard the rumor but they could also be looking at Petrovsky later in the offseason.

I'm curious to know what's going to happen to Pionk. He'll be 22 next season, will he take a jump?
Beckman wasn’t really playing if I remember correctly. That was another player that never really got a chance. I could see Lettieri being brought back. Lucchini is an AHL guy.

Lorenz is super intriguing to me. He’s got to be one of the least talked about prospects we have while at the same time being, or at least appearing to be, a really solid prospect.

Pionk will probably be stuck in the NCAA for a couple more years. We have an absolute log jam at LD. I could see us packing a few together for a bigger piece.

Minnewildsota

He who laughs last thinks slowest
Jun 7, 2010
Beckman wasn’t really playing if I remember correctly. That was another player that never really got a chance. I could see Lettieri being brought back. Lucchini is an AHL guy.

Lorenz is super intriguing to me. He’s got to be one of the least talked about prospects we have while at the same time being, or at least appearing to be, a really solid prospect.

Pionk will probably be stuck in the NCAA for a couple more years. We have an absolute log jam at LD. I could see us packing a few together for a bigger piece.
He’s played numerous NHL games and hasn’t really shown all that much.

Dr Jan Itor

Dec 10, 2009
MinneSNOWta

Had a great championship game.

Finished tied-7th for forwards in production. Can't think he got too much PP time though.

I wonder how many forwards they're bringing back next year. Would be nice to see him with legit top 6 and PP time.

Reactions: Digitalbooya

Digitalbooya

Sponsor
Jul 10, 2010
Wisconsin
He’s played numerous NHL games and hasn’t really shown all that much.
Ehh, 23 games averaging 10 minutes a night. That’s basically the same amount of games Rossi got at the start of last year.
Had a great championship game.

Finished tied-7th for forwards in production. Can't think he got too much PP time though.

I wonder how many forwards they're bringing back next year. Would be nice to see him with legit top 6 and PP time.
I hope so, developing alongside fellow Wild prospect Zeev Buium :D

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I think Lorenz will play another year at Denver, but he very much fits the nmold of a guy that the Wild could use, unlike Beckman, Walker, letierri, etc. Biggish, won't get knocked off pucks, grinder. With Duhaime getting moved we need some size up front in the bottom six.

Sweetnut

Sponsor
Mar 19, 2023
We need a 6' 7" tall butt ugly dude who can't skate for shit and is no stranger to dropping the mitts.
Because grit first.

BagHead

Dec 23, 2010
Minneapolis, MN

Beckman is a player that's gotten more chances than I'd have given him. He really didn't show anything in the NHL except that he isn't ready for the NHL. He didn't show anything in the AHL except that he's a mediocre minor league scorer. He needs to have a crazy offseason where he packs on muscle, speed, and confidence, or at least two of the three. I hope he comes to camp champing at the bit.

Lorenz intrigues me, but I'm keeping my cautious optimism on him much like I am Heidt. These are guys who scored bigger numbers than they probably would have on another team. That doesn't mean they didn't earn any of their offense, just that the numbers are probably a little inflated.

Well, it can’t be me. I’m only 6’3”
Dang, they could have drafted you instead of Stramel. Since the hockey world is an old boy's club, it would have been your foot in the door for the GM job.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad