Winnipeg Jets 2024-25 Coaching Thread

MarkWheeler

Dec 16, 2018
For some of us, being fans is about the journey (having a competitive team to cheer for all season that distracts us and gives us something to do/talk about)

For some fans, it's about the destination (winning cups)

To each their own
100% right. I’m past the stage of just happy to watch regular season games. I’m not happy with an extremely uninspired first round exit. Apparently lots of people still are.

blueandgoldguy

Oct 8, 2010
Greg's River Heights
They've only won the cup 3 times during that span

Personally, I'd WAY rather be a fan of that team than one that deliberately tanks to try to get high picks with the hope of it working out.

People complain about being in the "mushy middle" of making the playoffs each year then maybe getting turfed in the first or second round but I think that those people are seeing the disappointment of not winning and forgetting about rhe absolute pain of losing consistently and never even making it to the dance in April
I hope you are not trying to compare them to the Jets with their very few Stanley Cups. The Bruins have had several seasons during that 50-60 year span where they were among the best teams in the league with several deep runs in the playoffs to boot. They just happened to run into some dynasties and mini-dynasties along the way hence the 3 cups.

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
I hope you are not trying to compare them to the Jets with their very few Stanley Cups. The Bruins have had several seasons during that 50-60 year span where they were among the best teams in the league with several deep runs in the playoffs to boot. They just happened to run into some dynasties and mini-dynasties along the way hence the 3 cups.
My post says that I would love for the Jets to have the same success over the next 60 years that the Bruins have had over the past 60 years. Not sure how you didn't get that

Reactions: Jets 31

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
100% right. I’m past the stage of just happy to watch regular season games. I’m not happy with an extremely uninspired first round exit. Apparently lots of people still are.
Nobody is happy about how the playoffs went unless they want to see the Jets play horrible but you can still be very happy about what a great regular season we had. Making the playoffs isn't easy so i am always happy when we make it in .

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Pretty much everyone was pissed off at how we played in the playoffs. Even worse we mortgaged future assets for one f***ing win.

I was very happy with the regular season.

Those two things can coexist in my world.

I have moved past “hoping” this group will figure it out in the playoffs. This season cemented that for me.

However, I don’t plan on quitting being a fan because I still enjoy watching NHL hockey.

If you are past being happy with the journey “I get it”, but it begs the question, what’s the point? There is no other place to extract fan value.

SensibleGuy

Nov 26, 2011
I think all of us are happy with how the season went and enjoyed watching the games. But for a lot of us it was sort of a "this is great but..." situation. I certainly have no real expectations of winning the cup. That's a huge huge task to accomplish and it very possibly won't ever happen for The Winnipeg Jets. But I do have a certain level of expectation that we should be moving beyond just getting in. Our record of completely wilting in the post-season is pretty disappointing.

Last edited:

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg
Pretty much everyone was pissed off at how we played in the playoffs. Even worse we mortgaged future assets for one f***ing win.

I was very happy with the regular season.

Those two things can coexist in my world.

I have moved past “hoping” this group will figure it out in the playoffs. This season cemented that for me.

However, I don’t plan on quitting being a fan because I still enjoy watching NHL hockey.

If you are past being happy with the journey “I get it”, but it begs the question, what’s the point? There is no other place to extract fan value.

I think the issue is we have chiseled away at the some of the core over the years and haven't replaced it.

We went from it being:

Helle, Buff, Trouba, JoMo, Scheifele, Wheeler, KC, Little

To:

JoMo, Scheifele, KC, and Helle.

The org hasn't gotten or developed anyone to fill some of those gaps. I think Perfetti gets there but will it be too late by then. Same for some of our other promising prospects.

I think it's clear the org needs to make a change with Helle's regular season workload. He's not getting any younger and has been well off his standard play theblast two years in the playoffs. Florida started making runs with Bob after they implemented a load management plan with him.

Other then that I think the org needs to start focusing more on developing the next wave of hopeful core pieces as our first wave has faltered and some of it is aging out of being high end players.

bustamente

Kinda Optimistic
Jun 29, 2015
Fraud City MB
Thought that this team would fight for a WC spot all year so a 110 points blew me away. Yes it's disappointing that we flatlined in playoffs once again but that doesn't and can't take away from the success of the season. Many stayed away from CLC for most of the season but by the end the building was full and hopeful and the short playoffs raucous. Would I have liked the Jets to go farther, most definitely but I'm at peace that in all probability in the time I have left I will never see the Jets win the SC yet I will never stop watching. Enjoy the summer as short as it is 4 months till TC

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I think the issue is we have chiseled away at the some of the core over the years and haven't replaced it.

We went from it being:

Helle, Buff, Trouba, JoMo, Scheifele, Wheeler, KC, Little

To:

JoMo, Scheifele, KC, and Helle.

The org hasn't gotten or developed anyone to fill some of those gaps. I think Perfetti gets there but will it be too late by then. Same for some of our other promising prospects.

I think it's clear the org needs to make a change with Helle's regular season workload. He's not getting any younger and has been well off his standard play theblast two years in the playoffs. Florida started making runs with Bob after they implemented a load management plan with him.

Other then that I think the org needs to start focusing more on developing the next wave of hopeful core pieces as our first wave has faltered and some of it is aging out of being high end players.

We drafted very well for the first half a decade and also got lucky with the fact Wheeler and Buff peaked late. Starting in 2017-18 we started selling assets for rentals, drafting a bit later, drafting less often, and our results dried up for the most part for 3 or 4 seasons. We are feeling that now as we lack young affordable QUALITY replacements. I know you are going to hammer on opportunity and usage and the org could get better but we lack young pedigree IMO.

We’ll see how this next wave of prospects fairs (2021-2023 classes) as our older core fades out? I don’t hate our pool but we are average.

DRW204

Dec 26, 2010
We drafted very well for the first half a decade and also got lucky with the fact Wheeler and Buff peaked late. Starting in 2017-18 we started selling assets for rentals, drafting a bit later, drafting less often, and our results dried up for the most part for 3 or 4 seasons. We are feeling that now as we lack young affordable QUALITY replacements. I know you are going to hammer on opportunity and usage and the org could get better but we lack young pedigree IMO.

We’ll see how this next wave of prospects fairs (2021-2023 classes) as our older core fades out? I don’t hate our pool but we are average.

yeah in my view there's a different quality of prospect or RFA/young player team when comparing the likes of the 17-18 team (connor, ehlers, laine, trouba, morrissey, helle) vs what he have in the pipeline now. it's so easy for folks on here to say "oh well look at dallas with robertson, johnston, heiskanen, stankhoven... just insert the players in the lineup in key roles just like that" however idk if the Jets player equivalents (using combo of age, or draft pick number as a proxy) are at the same level.

surixon

Jul 12, 2003
Winnipeg

We absolutely lacked that until recently. We have Cole and Snerg who should be getting more responsibility on the big team and Ville should be in next year but otherwise we are likely not going to graduate anyone.

To me it's looking like we misstimed the window with our current core and the Perfetti-Barlow draft picks. How many of our current core will still be here/good when they hit their stride? Imo Scheifele is already declining albeit slowly so far. KC is a flawed player who may or may not stick around when his contract is done in two years. Helle is still great but for how long? JoMo looks to have peaked late, but he is approaching 30. Realistically how many years at elite number 1 dmen levels can we expect (2 maybe 3 years imo).

I don't know that we have enough quality in the system that they will be able to lead the team as well our first wave did.

GeorgeJETson

Hnidy probably has us on his no trade list
Sponsor
Sep 30, 2016
Happy and period are not words that go together from what I've seen.

Mrs. Jetson be like
i-agree-head-nod-dltzry1iezc4divb.gif

• Haha
Reactions: Jets 31 and Buffdog

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad