Rumor: 1/14/16 Lavoie: Drouin trade possibly soon | Friedman: STL, ANA, NSH frontrunners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
A very unhappy drouin sent down to Syracuse per twitter

Time to fire up the trade rumors again.

Personally think it could be a good way to get conditioned and confident again if he tears it up down there for a bit.

dechire

TBL Stanley Cup Champs 2020 2021
Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
When I got the TBL alert on my phone I figured it would be something terrible. Hopefully this is just for conditioning otherwise Cooper and I are going to have to have some words

Volodya Krutov

Lost Cosmonaut
Jan 18, 2012
Cooper's chronic mismanagement didn't help, I'm sure.

Coop is tough on the kid but neither did Drouin's repetitive injuries. He was playing 15 minutes per game in the top 6 in October but he barely played 9 games in the last 2 months and Marchessault deserves to stay there. It's not as bad as it seems IMO.

JS91

May 14, 2014
At first I was absolutely furious about Drouin getting sent down but after thinking about it, it might be for the best. Let him play a few games down there and put up ~3 points per game, regain his confidence and start feeling it again. Then he can come back up and start carrying our offense like he did in the beginning of the season.

I'm just worried that how many more of these can he take? Must be really infuriating when he is playing just as well as everyone else and he is the one that gets punished. That said I don't get why Cooper won't just stick Drouin on that 1st line and let him show what he can do. Even if he turns it over a few times, keep him there and let him play. We are playing like **** anyways, it can't hurt.

Hopefully Drouin is tougher than I think and can keep his head straight despite him getting Coopered real hard.

EDIT: Didn't see that comment from Yzerman before, makes a lot more sense now. I'd still rather just give him the ice time up here instead of plugs like Killorn.

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
It sounds like straight assignment

An official conditioning assignment would require him to stay on the NHL roster which wouldn't make sense since he doesn't require waivers and can just be sent there without issue. Not being an official conditioning assignment doesn't mean that isn't his purpose in going down. It just makes sense to assign him there for roster reasons if they want to give him some AHL time.

Keep in mind that JAM will need to be sent down immediately as soon as Palat comes off IR because he's still an injury callup which would then require him to clear waivers. Sending Drouin down gives them flexibility until they figure out what move to make.

Kramerica Industries

Mar 21, 2013
Tampa, FL
I feel like this is one of those things that sounds better on paper than it does in person, and you (JS91) allude to that yourself. We've heard rumblings about Drouin being unhappy with how Cooper has managed him and, you know, if you don't like it, play better, so on and so forth; I'm well aware of the athlete's mindset. It's just...this isn't the first, or the second, or the third...time where Drouin has to be left wondering just what the hell he's doing that is so wrong, compared to his direct predecessors. The 20-year old offensive wizard who enters the NHL and doesn't commit turnovers would be the greatest prospect in the history of the sport.

TheDaysOf 04

[ 2 6 ] [ 4 ]
Jun 23, 2007
NJ
http://www.tampabay.com/blogs/lightning/drouin-sent-down-to-ahl-syracuse/2259754
Drouin was reassigned to AHL Syracuse, not an easy pill to swallow for the touted prospect. While it was not officially labeled a conditioning assignment, GM Steve Yzerman said this was a move "specficially so he gets playing time," comparing it to what they did with goalie Andrei Vasilevskiy.

Drouin, 20, has been limited to just 19 games this season due to two different injuries, playing in just five since mid-November. Yzerman said there's no "set date" for Drouin's return to the NHL.

"Jonathan has played in nine games in the last nine weeks," Yzerman said. "He's been dealing with a minor nagging issue that is finally healed. With everyone coming back at the same time, it's a good opportunity to get a young player a lot of ice time, get his game right back on top and bring him back at the appropriate time."
Drouin, the No. 3 overall pick in 2013, has had an admittedly long year. He has two goals and six assists. Yzerman said he was cognizant how this could impact Drouin mentally, driving the key points home in a meeting Saturday.

"We take everything into account," Yzerman said. "But we have reason for doing it and I believe in the reasons for doing it. Jonathan expressed to me he understands the reasons for it. So again, we want our players to succeed and we want them to play well and put t hem in best position to succeed. And I believe this helps that."

And Yzerman made it clear the Lightning still believes in Drouin.

"I think he's a tremendous young talent," Yzerman said. "One, he needs to stay healthy and get in the lineup and show what he can do."
"Vasy is the same as Drouin, are young and up and coming players," Cooper said. "When you miss a prolonged amount of time, you have it in your best interest to go and get game time, so if you're not going to play as much here, whether it is in net or up front, that's the best thing for the player and the team to get players back in game condition and makes them the best player possible."

I have no problem with this if it doesn't last too long. This is the best way to get Jo going again. When he's back in the groove of things, call him back up.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
So after having some much needed catharsis I have prepared the following statement.

Yzerman.... You suck. You absolutely suck. **** you. **** your development philosophy and **** your commitment to the consistent failure of the roster you constructed. Val Filppula is over the hill and needs to go. I don't give a **** how good he is at killing penalties. He's useless at even strength, even more useless on the power play and is a terrible linemate for anyone not named Killorn, Brown and Callahan. Matt Carle continues to be totally ****ing useless BUT WAIT!!! We get to have an answer NEXT YEAR!!!! You drafted Slater Koekkoek and in the meantime his defensive draft mates are playing their 2nd and 3rd full seasons in the NHL. This is despite the fact you CHOSE HIM over better prospects like Filip Forsberg. Jonathan Drouin is gonna go play in the MINORS now when he would be getting 20 minutes of TOI on EVERY other goddamn team in the NHL. Oh but it's good for his "development" it gives him "playing time" so our goddamn dime a dozens like Paquette, JAM and Brown still have a job!

Excuse me I'm gonna throw something again

Ok now I'm back.

It's ALWAYS next ****ing year with you. It's always "Be patient" I'VE BEEN WAITING SINCE 20GODDAMN10 WHEN YOU TOOK OVER THE JOB!!!! WE WENT TO THE STANLEY CUP FINALS AND YOU'RE TAKING OUR FUTURE BACKWARDS!!!

If it's not now then it never ****ing will be. You've officially mailed in the season before the halfway point.

dechire

Jul 8, 2014
inconnu
A couple of us actually discussed this situation last month. Everyone is healthy and now we have too many roster players. Here are some potential fixes:

Leave Drouin in the AHL for the year
Waive Brown/JAM/Condra
Waive Carle and Nesterov becomes a full-time player
Trade for a prospect/pick or 2 players for 1 coming back

We currently have 7 D and 13 F on the roster(not including Drouin). Unless there's an injury or something is changed Drouin cannot rejoin the team.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Don't get drafted by the Lightning kids! Unless you're Palat, Johnson and Kucherov you'll spend your career in the minors past your 21st birthday. In some cases you may get traded or waived first!

-signed

Connolly
Koekkoek
Drouin
Namestnikov

Coming soon

Anthony DeAngelo
Adam Erne

The Tampa Bay Lightning - We think we're the Red Wings cuz Stevie Yzerman is in charge!!

Jacko95

Sep 19, 2012
Don't get drafted by the Lightning kids! Unless you're Palat, Johnson and Kucherov you'll spend your career in the minors past your 21st birthday. In some cases you may get traded or waived first!

-signed

Connolly
Koekkoek
Drouin
Namestnikov

Coming soon

Anthony DeAngelo
Adam Erne

The Tampa Bay Lightning - We think we're the Red Wings cuz Stevie Yzerman is in charge!!

Oh come on don't get over the board now. Not one of those guys has taken their opportunites (no matter how slim they were) by the horn and went with it. Not one of them has dominated the A the way Kuch or even Paquette did before they were called up for good.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Jack I've long kept my frustrations to myself about the "development process" but did so because for 2 years we trended in the right direction under Cooper. But right now our offense is horrific and a guy like Drouin is just what we need. But instead, he's gonna get sent down to the minors and he and fans alike are gonna be told, "It's good for him" while Filppula, Stamkos and Killorn circle jerk each other.

This roster desperately needs turnover and this IS NOT the kind of turnover we need.

Again dude.... Tampa Bay Lightning - We think we're the Red Wings cuz Stevie Yzerman's in charge. We don't rush OUR prospects!!! We send them to the minors for "playing time" as soon as our roster returns to full health for the first time since October while MacKinnon and Barkov are 1st line stars on their teams.

Bolt32

Aug 24, 2004
Palm Harbor, FL
Oh come on don't get over the board now. Not one of those guys has taken their opportunites (no matter how slim they were) by the horn and went with it. Not one of them has dominated the A the way Kuch or even Paquette did before they were called up for good.

And let's be honest here, paquette shouldn't even be on that list. He's a bottom six guy, we know it, yzerman knows it, hell even Paquette knows it and he embraced it. Drouin isn't. No one here is *****ing about Paquette needing top six minutes because he's not that type of player, he's also never played on the top six either.

Drouin will be fine, I'd love for him to tear the AHL a new ******* get called up then tossed on the top six. We will see, I think him destroying the AHL until a move is made could do him wonders.

Todd1a

Kucherov or prospect
Jun 19, 2014
orlando, fl
And let's be honest here, paquette shouldn't even be on that list. He's a bottom six guy, we know it, yzerman knows it, hell even Paquette knows it and he embraced it. Drouin isn't. No one here is *****ing about Paquette needing top six minutes because he's not that type of player, he's also never played on the top six either.

Drouin will be fine, I'd love for him to tear the AHL a new ******* get called up then tossed on the top six. We will see, I think him destroying the AHL until a move is made could do him wonders.
This is like Bret Connolly all over again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad