10 years. Time is up Shanahan.

Oct 15, 2014
The Duke's Archives
Put other teams superstars under the same microscope, do they hold up? Are you going to cherry pick the outliers that are PPG players in the playoffs? The playoffs =/= regular season, goaltending is more important and defensively sound play.

Do you know what else is important? Scoring goals. When you're a team built to score, then your offense shouldn't be among the worst come playoff time. Your goaltending and defensive efforts usually go to waste when you can't score more than 2 in today's NHL, which is exactly what the Leafs did in the last two playoff series. (4 of our last 5 wins were via 2-1 btw...but that's clearly not sustainable)

People are forgetting that his team of 5-8 million dollar players is a blueprint that can sideway real quick. When have you seen Toronto a market that demands instant gratification every second will sign a horrible deal without hesitation to feed the mob. How soon we forget the Muskoka Five and the Clarkson era. That's this market trying to build a deep team. I'm happier with over spending on legit studs than overpaying garbage players.

This market has negative patience, they abandoned the rebuild to commit to 'own rental' and throw away picks for years on rentals and depth pieces.

I want another good defenseman, I though the Leafs should have been all over Lindholm, instead Leafs were content on alternative cheaper options like Muzzin. And get a tender, they should have made a run at Saros imo

We're not trading everyone. Nylander and Matthews are here long-term.

As for your dream lineup, well, we need cap flexibility for that. You can't keep all the 10mil+ players and expect an elite blue line and goalie. Goalies are voodoo btw, so overpaying for one may not be the best idea.

Again, the big three aren't the issue. This team has not put a decent let alone good, let alone great blueliner and Freddie was the only decent goaltender they've had.

I'm fine with trading anyone for a stud blueliner but this just give away Mitch for cap space and everything will change for the better is silly.

They're an issue if not they're not meeting expectations in the playoffs. Marner's 3 points in this series.... not good at all. Tavares even worse.

What we currently have hasn't worked for 8 years, so maybe a change is needed. JT coming off the books next summer will definitely help, and we'll see about Marner this summer.

And name me the team president that will do better than Shanny? He's lust be another suit for people to get mad at. I'll take Shanny over Richard Peddie and Tim Liewicki. Why does this fanbase pretend a team president it a reasonable target for change? It's like getting mad at the PR team.

Because the playoff failures have been under his watch? Why would you keep employing people who don't get the job done?

Last edited:

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I'm as far from a Dubas fan as you can find. I just don't think anymore of Shanahan than I do Dubas. What did he do to deserve power? If Shanny is qualified to be a GM, why isn't he the GM? He doesn't like to work that hard? I don't understand why he is here. He has believed in this core more than anyone. He should be fired today.
I know your not a Dubas fan and i'm also on the bandwagon to fire Shanny but it has nothing to do with blocking moves like trading for EK like Dubas did the second he could .

I will say i have zero problem keeping AM/Mitch and Willie , the core piece that shouldn't have been signed and needs to go is Johnny Mumbles , that's easier said than done and the reason our mgmt team kept saying they believe in the core . All the problems this team has come from signing JT and Dumbass trying to build a finesse team around the core . trying to change direction now isn't easy since our kids aren't barely 20 anymore and the clocks ticking on there prime . Drafting and developing the right type of players to compliment our core takes time , especially since Dubas gutted our picks on the way out .

as far as trades go , no one's going to be bending over backwards to help us and trading Mitch if he waives could backfire just as easily as when Tre moved Thachuk who wanted out , at the time of that trade everyone thought the Flames fleeced the Panthers until Hubes who was well over a ppg the previous 4 seasons decided to pack it in

Reactions: egd27

thegazelle

Nov 11, 2019
To OP - well said. I couldn't agree more. In fact, any possible love/like for the Leafs went away the day he was hired. He has always struck me as an arrogant man, devoid of humility. I think the teams under him have reflected his persona. He got a taste of his own medicine when his Dubas decided he wanted more power, which ultimately translated to his power, so he nixed an ultimate extension. The coach and the players reflect Shanahan's outlook, values and personality. Time for Pelley to make a change. Ten years is more than enough time to assess that this approach is not the right one for this club.

Reactions: Al14

socko

Nov 26, 2013
Martinez, GA
I know your not a Dubas fan and i'm also on the bandwagon to fire Shanny but it has nothing to do with blocking moves like trading for EK like Dubas did the second he could .

I will say i have zero problem keeping AM/Mitch and Willie , the core piece that shouldn't have been signed and needs to go is Johnny Mumbles , that's easier said than done and the reason our mgmt team kept saying they believe in the core . All the problems this team has come from signing JT and Dumbass trying to build a finesse team around the core . trying to change direction now isn't easy since our kids aren't barely 20 anymore and the clocks ticking on there prime . Drafting and developing the right type of players to compliment our core takes time , especially since Dubas gutted our picks on the way out .

as far as trades go , no one's going to be bending over backwards to help us and trading Mitch if he waives could backfire just as easily as when Tre moved Thachuk who wanted out , at the time of that trade everyone thought the Flames fleeced the Panthers until Hubes who was well over a ppg the previous 4 seasons decided to pack it in
I don't believe the culture of this team will ever change with Marner on it. He is the culture of this team. And sure Matthews too. But Matthews seems to adapt to whoever he plays with, he's not an alpha personality, put him with Marner and he plays like Marner, put him with Domi and Bert, and you see those guys influence the way he plays. Marner plays like Marner whoever he plays with. And that is a problem.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
How often do you read about other teams firing their GM's and the fanbase blaming the president for not letting them fully work their magic (for lack of a better term).

Almost never, it's another Dubie exclusive excuse. Apparantly he doesn't have "full autonomy" in Pittsburgh either.
Dubes PR team seems to be doing a wonderful job spinning all his failures , lol .

-trades a 1st and 2nd for EK
-signs a depth D for 6 yrs at 4.5m
-re-signs a mediocre goalie for 5yrs x 5m
-signs a bunch of depth players including Accari for 3yrs at 2m (his biggest payday ever) and none of them pan out except Ellers
-floats out he wants a kings ransom for Guentzel then settles for a pkg of B prospects and a 2nd which could turn into a bottom two 1st rd pick if Carolina gets to the cup final

all in all just a brutal 1st season as GM for a guy who wanted all the power , yet his supporters never wavier in their belief the self promoting idiot is a genius , lol

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
I don't believe the culture of this team will ever change with Marner on it. He is the culture of this team. And sure Matthews too. But Matthews seems to adapt to whoever he plays with, he's not an alpha personality, put him with Marner and he plays like Marner, put him with Domi and Bert, and you see those guys influence the way he plays. Marner plays like Marner whoever he plays with. And that is a problem.
Marner is one of the top playmakers/play drivers in the league , you attach a useless slug like JT to him in the playoffs and he'll get shut down , if he had the right linemates like the Hawks put with Kane he'll flourish . Willie is not the same playmaker as him or the scorer AM is but he similar to Mats was which there were good enough at both where they didn't need the perfect type of linemates to produce . it all comes down to building the right chemistry . Just like how Rielly thrived with guys like Schenn and Hainsey even though those two in their time here were basically bottom pair D .

and people can use Mitch as a scapegoat if they like but he'll be sorely missed if he's gone

Last edited:

Drytoast

Sep 27, 2017
If he comes out with in the pressure on Friday, he's staying and tbh I don't really care.

In an order of importance as to who I wanna see go this summer

PP coaching staff
Marner
PK coaching staff
Keefe

In that order.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Based on how things have unfolded between some media rumors, plus them delaying management's media address twice so far, I'd say the odds are probably higher that Shanny at least finishes his current contract with MLSE, and then they potentially move on at a later date by not replacing the president position and have Tre (or his successor) report directly to Pelly and the board.

Firing Shanny now means a big MLSE payout, especially if they also plan on dumping Keefe (which seems a near certainty) which they probably wish to avoid if possible

BrannigansLaw

Grown Man
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2006
Boston, MA
Based on how things have unfolded between some media rumors, plus them delaying management's media address twice so far, I'd say the odds are probably higher that Shanny at least finishes his current contract with MLSE, and then they potentially move on at a later date by not replacing the president position and have Tre (or his successor) report directly to Pelly and the board.

Firing Shanny now means a big MLSE payout, especially if they also plan on dumping Keefe (which seems a near certainty) which they probably wish to avoid if possible

If that’s really how it goes down this organization is clearly not serious about winning.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
If that’s really how it goes down this organization is clearly not serious about winning.

I think they actually care about winning, but organizational politics definitely play a role in decisions like this. I don't think the dollar amount has ever been made public, but Shanny likely earns around 5-7 million, which isn't exactly chump change. I doubt Pelly has any serious plan in place yet too, so giving himself an extra year to get that in place is more beneficial to him. And keeping Shanny on the job looks better than just paying him out to stay home.

But hey, maybe I'm wrong. It's just speculation after all

Reactions: BrannigansLaw

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON

They won't be on the hook if they sign elsewhere??

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
They won't be on the hook if they sign elsewhere??

If that happens, and he's paid the same than yes

But which team wants a GM or President, and is Shanny even interested in a new job?

We also have zero indication that Pelly or the board actually wants to fire him either

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
If that happens, and he's paid the same than yes

But which team wants a GM or President, and is Shanny even interested in a new job?

We also have zero indication that Pelly or the board actually wants to fire him either
I'm guessing Shanny stays but he only has a year left on his contract. Keefe has two and I doubt he does a Babcock and collects his paycheck from the Leafs.

Reactions: Menzinger

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
I'm guessing Shanny stays but he only has a year left on his contract. Keefe has two and I doubt he does a Babcock and collects his paycheck from the Leafs.

Mirtle reported that (apparently ) the board was annoyed at having to pay so much dead money out to Babs after the firing.

The fact that Keefe is almost certainly fired I think helps keep Shanny safe more so than anything else. The fans get blood from Keefe's firing and MLSE doesnt have to pay out two salaries for the same job for Shanny

Reactions: ToneDog

hamzarocks

Jul 22, 2012
Pickering, Ontario
How often do you read about other teams firing their GM's and the fanbase blaming the president for not letting them fully work their magic (for lack of a better term).

Almost never, it's another Dubie exclusive excuse. Apparantly he doesn't have "full autonomy" in Pittsburgh either.
Funny thing with the pens was he did a summer search for the best man to be the GM for the Pens last year and came to the conclusion the best man for the job was...Kyle Dubas lool

It has been over an year, his moves sucked ass and the pens missed the playoffs again and he isnt looking to bring a GM on so he can just be president

Dubas wants all the power, but unfortunately he cant sweet talk his way to success. He is incompetent at building a winning team and has been at most levels of hockey so far in his 10+ year career

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
Do you know what else is important? Scoring goals. When you're a team built to score, then your offense shouldn't be among the worst come playoff time. Your goaltending and defensive efforts usually go to waste when you can't score more than 2 in today's NHL, which is exactly what the Leafs did in the last two playoff series. (4 of our last 5 wins were via 2-1 btw...but that's clearly not sustainable)

As for your dream lineup, well, we need cap flexibility for that. You can't keep all the 10mil+ players and expect an elite blue line and goalie. Goalies are voodoo btw, so overpaying for one may not be the best idea.

They're an issue if not they're not meeting expectations in the playoffs. Marner's 3 points in this series.... not good at all. Tavares even worse.

What we currently have hasn't worked for 8 years, so maybe a change is needed. JT coming off the books next summer will definitely help, and we'll see about Marner this summer.

Because the playoff failures have been under his watch? Why would you keep employing people who don't get the job done?
Stop wasting your time on him. He's being deliberately obtuse. It's been explained to him and the other Marner fanboys over and over.

Marner is one of the top playmakers/play drivers in the league , you attach a useless slug like JT to him in the playoffs and he'll get shut down , if he had the right linemates like the Hawks put with Kane he'll flourish . Willie is not the same playmaker as him or the scorer AM is but he similar to Mats was which there were good enough at both where they didn't need the perfect type of linemates to produce . it all comes down to building the right chemistry . Just like how Rielly thrived with guys like Schenn and Hainsey even though those two in their time here were basically bottom pair D .

and people can use Mitch as a scapegoat if they like but he'll be sorely missed if he's gone
LOL.

TheGreenTBer

shut off the power while I take a big shit
Apr 30, 2021
You know that silly conspiracy about Shanahan being some plant to sabotage the Leafs?

I"m actually starting to believe it, and I will fully believe it if Tavares and Marner are brought back and extended.

Preach it man, this regular season nonsense is apparantly good enough for some "fans" but for the real ones (like you), it's completely meaningless.
I appreciate that but I'm not nearly the fan you make me out to be.

But you know what? Participation trophies are f***ing bullshit. These guys aren't playing Atom, they are highly paid pros and there are only winners and losers. It takes 16 playoff wins in a full season to win the only trophy worth anything and we haven't had more than FIVE in any of the last 8 years. Yet they kept the status quo with this core the whole time. Time for a change.

Reactions: TMLife17

Leafsfanperson

Jan 27, 2024

Do I know how important scoring is?

Really? This is our level of discourse? How about you be honest and realize defense wins championships, scoring gets tight in the playoffs especially given matchups like Florida and Boston that play low event hockey. In a wide open series Mitch gets his 11 points vs Tampa. It's tiresome reading these stats lines calling out Leafs when you can cherry pick the same for every other team's superstar except maybe Edmonton and funny enough they score and haven't won s*** either.

But 'scoring is important' so what? You're gunna trade give to have some caproom to overpay two Bertuzzis that don't score either?

We're not trading Willie or Auston until it's easy to scapegoat them. You really think this market/fanbase isn't going to turn on Willie the second he struggles on his extension? There are still people whining about him holding out six years ago.

My dream lineup? Maybe you should flex on your with imaginary players that get 2 points a game in the playoffs and cost no more than 7 million against the cap.

This goaltending is voodoo is beyond silly. The Leafs have gone bargain shopping for goaltenders for the entire cap era and the Leafs have lost to Rask, Rask, Price, Vasilevskiy, Brobrovsky, Swayman so where is this voodoo, those are all year in year out top ten goaltners two with 10 million cap hits. You want to throw more money at scoring and not stopping pucks? I can get on board with that. Maybe we could learn a lesson from the teams that beat us. How is that voodoo working for Jack Campbell?

Get rid of Tavares sure, no one will take issue with that, July 2nd after his bonus to a team that needs a center and has cap room sure. Giving away Mitch or letting him walk? That's the worst idea but by all means be a slave to a narrative.

Fire Shanny? That's just an empty gesture. Crying about a team president? Only in Canadian markets do fans even know their names let alone call for their heads, no wonder it's been 30+ years with no cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad