Speculation: 2023-2024 General Lightning Discussion - Part 3

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
A forward group that has improved in the bottom 6, kept Duclair and Stamkos, and still added a solid middle 6 forward with upside in Sprong or Debrusk isn't playoff caliber? I'm not worried about the offense much, and adding a better dman to shore up where Tampa is weaker would be of great help. There are other dmen that Tampa could dangle Cirelli for in a trade package, like Anderson, or move him for a mid 1st+ and use assets for one, or make that type of trade and then acquire one in ufa, but regardless, the defense would get a much needed improvement and the offense remains playoff caliber. Lafferty is a solid bottom 6 addition, and better production wise than any of Sheary, Jeannot or even Chaffee based on this past season, and adding someone ljke Sprong or Debrusk(and there are others in this range), still gives Tampa a player capable of scoring 45-50 points, especially on a line with Hagel and Stamkos.
Mainly the bottom six is really bad. Granted, our current bottom six is also bad.

Reactions: Hockeyville USA

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Mainly the bottom six is really bad. Granted, our current bottom six is also bad.
How? Jeannot sucks, and Sheary sucks even worse. Motte and Glendening are fine in their roles on the 4th line, and Ace is okay as a 3rd/4th line tweener. Not saying that Lafferty would be a world beater, but Tampa won't have much space to address the position anyway. Maybe if other contracts work out, they could go after a better 3rd line option such as Dakota Joshua or Warren Foegle, but if 2 millionish is all they have, Lafferty wouldn't be a bad add. I always figured that one Crunch player wojld get a bottom 6 spot next season, so I kept Chaffee there for now; however, if he isn't panning out, it could easily be someone like Goncalves, Groshev, Finley, Merela etc.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
I'm paraphrasing, but Elliotte Friedman said on the latest 32 Thoughts that he had heard several times over the previous 48 hours that Jeff Halpern would/should be a person of interest for the Sharks head coaching job.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
How? Jeannot sucks, and Sheary sucks even worse. Motte and Glendening are fine in their roles on the 4th line, and Ace is okay as a 3rd/4th line tweener. Not saying that Lafferty would be a world beater, but Tampa won't have much space to address the position anyway. Maybe if other contracts work out, they could go after a better 3rd line option such as Dakota Joshua or Warren Foegle, but if 2 millionish is all they have, Lafferty wouldn't be a bad add. I always figured that one Crunch player wojld get a bottom 6 spot next season, so I kept Chaffee there for now; however, if he isn't panning out, it could easily be someone like Goncalves, Groshev, Finley, Merela etc.
Again, I think you're using the word "easily" a little loosely.

One of our more major problems is we have no depth. Your line up here is just a different version of no depth. We would be complaining about these guys the same way we complain about Sheary and Jeannot within about 3 weeks of the season.

The Macho King

Back* to Back** World Champion
Jun 22, 2011
I'm paraphrasing, but Elliotte Friedman said on the latest 32 Thoughts that he had heard several times over the previous 48 hours that Jeff Halpern would/should be a person of interest for the Sharks head coaching job.
He's bound to get an opportunity eventually. Nature of the beast but Cooper is going to have one of those "coaching trees" after his run of success.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
He's bound to get an opportunity eventually. Nature of the beast but Cooper is going to have one of those "coaching trees" after his run of success.
After Halpern, we might be getting a bit thin in that department. Zettler and Blashill have too much experience of their own to count as being part of Coop's coaching tree.

Reactions: Coopers Gum

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Again, I think you're using the word "easily" a little loosely.

One of our more major problems is we have no depth. Your line up here is just a different version of no depth. We would be complaining about these guys the same way we complain about Sheary and Jeannot within about 3 weeks of the season.
Tampa is likely never going to have the kind of depth they had during that stretch where they won cups/nearly 3-peated, few teams do in the cap era. The lineup would have two good lines, an okay 3rd line(provided the Crunch player can contribute in this case) and a 4th line that can do their job. The defense would also be improved and if Vasy is back in form, not much more they can realistically do without moving higher value important guys that are needed. If JBB can squeeze another million or so elsewhere, then you can upgrade the ~2 million spot on the 3rd line to.a better player and thus, better depth. Hopefully, JBB can find a couple of better depth adds this summer, preferably one F and one Dman, to improve in that area(if none of Cirelli/Cernak/Serg are traded, which still seems unlikely).

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Feels like they should trade Perbix & target a UFA right shot D.
There could be a few good ones that reach ufa, but several won't come cheap. Roy, Walker, DeMelo are all good, but fitting any of them will be tricky. Pesce will be too expensive(and there's the injury). There's Carrier from Nashville, but he's too small(since Tampa apparently has something against any dman less than 6 feet tall and ~200 pounds). Montour and Zadorov will likely be too expensive as well, and Tanev is getting a bit up there in years. Hakanpaa could be a cheaper option, same with Lyubushkin. If its not an option like.those two, I would hope JBB goes after one of Walker, Roy, DeMelo or Chatfield should any make it to ufa(and the cap works).

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
If Coop gets an extension now, there's no way he gets fired after next season, no matter how much we meme about it. TB would still be on the hook to still pay the extension.

Renopucker

Jan 17, 2019
Reno
sounding like Seattle is trying to snag him from the Canes and thats what this is all about
There's that natural connection and familiarity isn't there? (Francis/BaM). Plus, not to diss the Canes, but the Seattle franchise has a big future. They've just scratched the surface as to what is possible there.

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
If Coop gets an extension now, there's no way he gets fired after next season, no matter how much we meme about it. TB would still be on the hook to still pay the extension.
I honestly think it's more about if Cooper wants to stay. IMO there are few coaches with something as close to a "lifetime position" as Coop, but I dont see why he would want to go through another rebuild.

I think after next season, if the team hasnt found some miracle move to make them contendagain, he will go somewhere looking for a cup.

Hockeyville USA

Dec 30, 2023
Central Ohio
Not gonna win any series with Sheary being a healthy scratch taking up cap, Jeannot being a nothing burger, Chaffee playing up a line too high, and Duclair being a ghost for the most part.

Probably tied or up in the series with McDonagh still around

Reactions: Stelio Kontos

Outl4w

Dec 16, 2011
FL
If Jeannot does not go tune up Montour or a panthers star we should cut Jbb and Jeannot after the game. HE is worthless when he isn't hurting people with his fist.

JTBF81

Dec 6, 2018
Tampa, FL.
Not gonna win any series with Sheary being a healthy scratch taking up cap, Jeannot being a nothing burger, Chaffee playing up a line too high, and Duclair being a ghost for the most part.

Probably tied or up in the series with McDonagh still around
Very doubtful. McD does nit turn this series arohnd. Too many guys struggled.this series and Bob was very, very good.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
Kuch: "I actually remember one time we were playing against the Cats and it was 3 - 1 in the series and Stammer said
'Guys if you think we're good now, let's prove it. 4 - 3'

Us: "Did you come back?"

Kuch : "Of course not. Gentleman's Sweep"

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
How many people think we're a playoff team in 2025? I'm quite skeptical, unless BriseBois or whoever is the GM pulls off the best possible summer.
Playoffs are probably as likely as they were this year. But nowhere near a chp unless JBB pulls off something massive.

The big issue is we aren't even in a position to rebuild, and dont have the assets to improve the current team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad