2024-25 Roster…too soon?

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
I’d pay Guentzel too I just don’t think he’d come here when he gets the offers in free agency from contending teams.

Styles

No Light, No Signal
Apr 6, 2017
If you trade for Guentzels rights you know it comes with an 8 year deal with a full NMC right? At the very least for the first 6 years then a partial NTC for the last 2.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
If he’s worth 9M for 6 (54) I’d tack on two 2M seasons to make is 8/58 7.25M. Thats a great contract.

Because we suck make it 10M for 6/2M for 2. 64M. 8x8. You’re going to throw that guy with bedard and hall in year 1 and get hall 50 pts at the deadline and be able to deal him for a nice 1st and prospect.

You can package some 10 year old kid in 2030 with Guentzel to shed the contract to the Atlanta Thrashers so we can go for the threepeat. Don’t think too hard.

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I’d pay Guentzel too I just don’t think he’d come here when he gets the offers in free agency from contending teams.
Which contending teams can afford him? By my eye it’s only really Boston.

Then you have other teams that can afford him that would have interest like St. Louis, Washington and Nashville. They’re contending for 2nd wildcard and a first round exit. Yes they’re better than us right now, but we have a far higher ceiling 2-3 years down the road.

So I’d say we have a hell of a chance at Guentzel, especially if he does want to be closer to home.

Beukeboom Fan

Feb 27, 2002
Chicago, IL
Visit site
5 season prior to being traded, DCat had average 32G 61P per season (w/ 2 40 goal campaigns on his resume) and Necas has 19G 48P (and a high water mark of 28 goals and more than 16 goals TWICE in a season). One is not like the other and the return for one will not be like the other regardless of what Canes fans are hoping for. If they get anywhere near a DCat return, it won't be from the Hawks because I want to believe Davidison is not that stupid to do that at ANY point much less the 2nd Summer into a full teardown.
Add to that that AD had 2 years of contract control vs. 1 for MN.

feichter33

Mar 25, 2013
88 mil cap, 4.5mil increase. How we gonna spend our newfound riches? Any consensus?? Haha.

I'm a Guentzel fan, but for me the killer is the time, not the money that has me sketched out. I'd rather throw more $$ and less term at guys. If the Guentzel camp wants 6+ yrs, 8+mil as has been talked about...I'm out FAST.

Wally1112pac

Three Year Rebuild lol
Jul 10, 2019
Forwards

Hall - Bedard - Debrusk

Teravainen - Kurashev - Toffoli

Athanasiou - Dickinson - Nazar/Reichel

Slaggert - Donato - Foligno

extras - Reichel/Nazar, Blackwell

Defensemen

Vlasic - Jones

Ekman-Larsson - Murphy

Korchinski - Myers

extra - Kaiser

Goalies

Mrazek

Lankinen

Free Agent Signings - Forwards

Debrusk - 6 mil - 6 years

Teravainen - 6 mil - 4 years

Toffoli - 6 mil - 3 years

Blackwell - 1.4 mil - 1 year

Free Agent Signings - Defensemen

Ekman-Larsson - 4 mil - 2 years

Myers - 4 mil - 2 years

Free Agent Signing - Goalie

Lankinen - 3 mil - 2 years

Total Cap = 86.5 (give or take)

- This will give Bedard some much needed help with the additions of Teuvo, Toffoli and Debrusk.

- There's no crazy term for contracts except for Debrusk who will be 34 in the final year.

- Ekman-Larsson stabilizes the 2nd pair and can kill penalties.

- Myers stabilizes the 3rd pair and can kill penalties.

- Lankinen is a NHL back up. He's signed short term and can play 30ish games.

Contracts coming off the books in 1 year

Hall = 6 mil

AA = 4.25 mil

Donato = 2 mil

McCabe = 2 mil (dead cap)

Bailey = 1.16 (buyout)

= 15.61 mil

Contracts coming off the books in 2 years

Foligno = 4.5 mil

Dickinson - 4.25 mil

Murphy - 4.4 mil

Ekman-Larsson - 4 mil

Myers - 4 mil

Lankinen - 3 mil

= 24.15 mil

This opens up room for McDavid when he signs with us in 2 years.:eek3::eek3::eek3:

EbonyRaptor

Jul 10, 2009
Geezerville
I would offer Guentzel $10M for 3 years and hope he bets on himself that by playing with Bedard his stats will be good enough for him to get another nice contract after 3 years with the Hawks when he will be 33. Yeah $8Mx6 is $48M but it is most likely his last contract of any significance because he will be 36 after the 6 year contract is done. Plus he gets the $30M up front in the 3 years rather than $48M spread over 6 years.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I would offer Guentzel $10M for 3 years and hope he bets on himself that by playing with Bedard his stats will be good enough for him to get another nice contract after 3 years with the Hawks when he will be 33. Yeah $8Mx6 is $48M but it is most likely his last contract of any significance because he will be 36 after the 6 year contract is done. Plus he gets the $30M up front in the 3 years rather than $48M spread over 6 years.
Pay him 2x12.5.

Reactions: Mrfenn92

Hattrick Kane

Oct 8, 2018
I was reading the Sabres board because of that little rumor that was posted earlier and saw a couple ideas that could make sense.

Jeff Skinner + 11OA as a straight cap dump (not sure that’s enough)

Skinner @50% retained +11OA for 18OA (Again don’t think that’s enough)

Swap 11 and 18 with the Sabres getting Murphy, possibly Joker coming the other way as well, don’t know why Sabres would do that.

Anyways if the Sabres are trying to make a big move this offseason, it’s a good way for Davidson to move up in this draft.

Reactions: BHFAN92

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
I was reading the Sabres board because of that little rumor that was posted earlier and saw a couple ideas that could make sense.

Swap 11 and 18 with the Sabres getting Murphy, possibly Joker coming the other way as well, don’t know why Sabres would do that.

Anyways if the Sabres are trying to make a big move this offseason, it’s a good way for Davidson to move up in this draft.
Skinner and 11 for Teply. Awesome trade. Send it in. Maybe make them retain a million just to be a dick.

• Haha
Reactions: Callidusblackhawk

Bubba88

Toews = Savior
Nov 8, 2009
Bavaria
As for the Necas talk... I'd just offer them TOR 1st and Kaiser. I don't think this gets it done but the deal is on the table if they want it until the Draft.

Signing Guentzel makes sense, Hawks need to improve, they will still be bad enough to grow and give the young guys time - but you need to start to add proven talent to not leave Bedard out there alone. Even if it's 7/8 years.

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022

All for it but he has a NMC and the reason hes in Buffalo is because he wants to be close to home. Dont see him waiving to go to a worse team farther from home but I dunno.

Reactions: Muffinalt

BHawk21

Mar 21, 2022
I dont think Guentzel takes anything less than 6 years. Its his time to cash in. Hes been playing on discount his entire career. That would be his 30-36/37 years. Kane just was a PPG offensive player at 35....

I dont think its the right time to pull the trigger on this age player but I can see the reasonings for doing it.

Reactions: Toews2Bickell

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
I dont think Guentzel takes anything less than 6 years. Its his time to cash in. Hes been playing on discount his entire career. That would be his 30-36/37 years. Kane just was a PPG offensive player at 35....

I dont think its the right time to pull the trigger on this age player but I can see the reasonings for doing it.
I don't love the idea of paying Guentzel but I'd be happy to greatly improve the top six if all it cost was money. One to three years and make him one of the highest paid players in the league.

statswatcher

Jul 27, 2022
getting someone to play on bedard's wing is important, but it's not the only thing. just as if not more important is filling out the depth. like i said previously, i'd be very happy if they landed guentzal, but going from one top six winger to having two will only help so much, and for bedard to really shine they have to be able to run more than just one line.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad