Votes: 54 16.8%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 17 5.3%

• Total voters

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
This is a tough year to not draft a defenceman, for sure. You better hit on a good forward because chances are one of Dickinson, Buium, Silayev, Parekh and maybe even Yakemchuk are going to be hard to find players.

If the Habs have the guts to take Slaf over Wright, I do trust them if they take a forward over a D with the 5th pick. Same as not taking Michkov and drafting Reinbacher.

What would you say if we traded Guhle for Zegras and took one of the D with our pick?

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
If the Habs have the guts to take Slaf over Wright, I do trust them if they take a forward over a D with the 5th pick. Same as not taking Michkov and drafting Reinbacher.

What would you say if we traded Guhle for Zegras and took one of the D with our pick?

Hmmmm. That's a tough one. You introduce a bit of variance because you could lose the trade and your pick could bust, whereas if you just pick Sennecke or whatever, the worst is that he could bust.

Pretty big upside on that move though.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Hmmmm. That's a tough one. You introduce a bit of variance because you could lose the trade and your pick could bust, whereas if you just pick Sennecke or whatever, the worst is that he could bust.

Pretty big upside on that move though.

Not sure If I would have the guts to do it but just pondering all the different angles we could take. Honestly, I do think we can survive without Guhle. Hurts more to trade him vs Romanov but it's the same type of move IMO.

I'm assuming you would take Sennecke over Iggy? Close or not close with you? I've dug into both and I would take Iggy. I really like his overall package at a younger age. His shot is almost already elite and his compete level is very high. Cross overs and edge work is very good. Ability to deal with contact along the walls is above where players are usually are at his age. I think his dad is teaching him well and he's comprehending it well too.

The other angle I would have in strategy is to try to use pieces like the Jets 1st, Mesar, Avs 2nd and one of Harris, Ylonen, Farrell to trade up in the 12-15 range. Wishful thinking but worth a try.

Iggy and then one of Sennecke, Eiserman, Catton, Helenuis. One of them 4 going to be in the 12-15 range right?

Reactions: themilosh

Leto

Feb 16, 2023
This is a tough year to not draft a defenceman, for sure. You better hit on a good forward because chances are one of Dickinson, Buium, Silayev, Parekh and maybe even Yakemchuk are going to be hard to find players.

The choice would be easier if Dickinson,Buuim and Silayev were RD (and yes, I know Silayev can play on the right side). Even with Reinbacher in the pipeline, our right side is bad. I am not convinced in what we have with Mailloux and Barron.​

NotProkofievian

Nov 29, 2011
Not sure If I would have the guts to do it but just pondering all the different angles we could take. Honestly, I do think we can survive without Guhle. Hurts more to trade him vs Romanov but it's the same type of move IMO.

I'm assuming you would take Sennecke over Iggy? Close or not close with you? I've dug into both and I would take Iggy. I really like his overall package at a younger age. His shot is almost already elite and his compete level is very high. Cross overs and edge work is very good. Ability to deal with contact along the walls is above where players are usually are at his age. I think his dad is teaching him well and he's comprehending it well too.

The other angle I would have in strategy is to try to use pieces like the Jets 1st, Mesar, Avs 2nd and one of Harris, Ylonen, Farrell to trade up in the 12-15 range. Wishful thinking but worth a try.

Iggy and then one of Sennecke, Eiserman, Catton, Helenuis. One of them 4 going to be in the 12-15 range right?

I was just taking Sennecke as an example. Right now I'd prefer Iggy. He really left an impression at the u18s.

Saundies

Fly On The Wall
Jun 8, 2012
NB, Canada
I'll give the benefit of the doubt to this scouting staff until proven otherwise but tentatively, Mickov + a stud D this draft would look a lot better on paper imo.
Yep, if they take a D again this draft it makes the decision to draft DR over Michkov last year even more mind boggling.

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto
Chicago are gonna be bad for a while and will have plenty of opportunities to draft/trade for bigger players. They’re not in a position to be worried about fit/size and playoffs.

Anaheim has reasons to skip on Demidov but not Chicago.

They would be stupid to pass on an offensive talent like Demidov, but I won’t complain if they do.

It’s not stupid if you had a stud RD there, D take longer to develop so naturally you should be acquiring them relatively early in your rebuild

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada
At the end of the day, none of us have a damn clue how this shakes out. The final order is never what any of us thought it would be.

Beyond Mack, it is a guessing game.

One thing I know I know......whatever team gets Dickinson, Levshonuv or Buium will have a top pairing D man in their future.

Another thing I know....teams often will place a premium on someone who plays centre. Therefore if Lindstrom is valued by a team close to Demidov, it will be Lindstrom.

Their is a path for us to Demidov.

This could very well happen.....

San Jose - Celebrini
Chicago - Lev/Dickinson/Buium/Lindstrom/Demidov
Anaheim - Lev/Dickinson/Buium/Lindstrom/Demidov
Columbus - Lev/Dickinson/Buium/Silyayev/Lindstrom/Demidov

Not necesseraily my personal rankings.....but from everything I am reading, it seems like the tier behind Celebrini includes....

Levshunov
Dickinson
Buium
Lindstrom
Demidov
Silyayev

Anything can happen

MTL Dirty Birdy

Aug 29, 2021
Suzuki IS undersized. You shouldn't have your top two centers both under 6'0". This is not your ball hockey league.
At what point do we draw a line and stop referring to Nick as undersized. He’s over 200 lbs, hasn’t missed a game in his career, doesn’t get pushed around or knocked down easily…. He’s a bad example for those who want to talk about undersized players

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Are you just trying to be dishonest? He's been in one game in the WC and has 1 point.

On what planet is that bad?
Against Britain? Do they even have hockey rinks there? I expect more from a Top 5 pick. The Habs also need goal scorers more than they need all-around playmakers. Got enough of those.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I was just taking Sennecke as an example. Right now I'd prefer Iggy. He really left an impression at the u18s.

Yeah, I liked them both but Iggy gets the edge for me. I think he maxes out at 6'-1" and 200 lbs and has a great shot. Skill is top notch and his skating in terms of cross overs and edge work is very good. I think his D+1 and D+2 are going to be break out years for him. One of the hottest trending and one of the youngest.

Do you think this package gets attention from teams in the 10-15 range? Jets 1st, Mesar, Avs 2nd, and young depth piece (Harris, Ylonen, Farrell)? Hope so because maybe we can get Sennecke, Eiserman or the Finish Center in that range.

I like Catton too but I think he becomes a perimeter skilled type and not sure he turns the needle in playoff style hockey. I have him similar to a Jarvis type.

Last edited:

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Yeah, I liked them both but Iggy gets the edge for me. I think he maxes out at 6'-1" and 200 lbs and has a great shot. Skill is top notch and his skating in terms of cross overs and edge work is very good. I think his D+1 and D+2 are going to be break out years for him. One of the hottest trending and one of the youngest.

Do you think this package gets attention from teams in the 10-15 range? Jets 1st, Mesar, Avs 2nd, and young depth piece (Harris, Ylonen, Farrell)? Hope so because maybe we can get Sennecke, Eiserman or the Finish Center in that range.

I like Catton too but I think he becomes a perimeter skilled type and not sure he turns the needle in playoff style hockey. I have him similar to a Jarvis type.
I don't really get the instinct to label Catton a perimeter type. I've never seen a game from him where he isn't attacking the middle of the ice.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
I don't really get the instinct to label Catton a perimeter type. I've never seen a game from him where he isn't attacking the middle of the ice.

That's because you are watching the CHL. So many players change when they turn pro. I think Catton will be one of them. Could be wrong but I'll bet with the odds.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yeah it's just gibberish. Catton is an amazing player, especially on the rush.
That's because you are watching the CHL. So many players change when they turn pro. I think Catton will be one of them. Could be wrong but I'll bet with the odds.
You wouldn't even say that if he was 2 CM taller. Catton attacks the middle of ice with speed. Hes electric. I prefer Iginla but there's no denying Cattons skills are amazing.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Yeah it's just gibberish. Catton is an amazing player, especially on the rush.

You wouldn't even say that if he was 2 CM taller. Catton attacks the middle of ice with speed. Hes electric. I prefer Iginla but there's no denying Cattons skills are amazing.

I like Catton a lot but I just don't see him turning the needle for our team needs at the pro/NHL level. I have him pegged like a Jarvis type. Skills are amazing yes. I think his game changes a little bit when he turns pro.

Not even sure where I would put Lindstrom. He's a hard one to evaluate. But today, I would have edge to Iggy. Then guys like Catton, Sennecke, Eiserman, Helenius are right behind him.

In terms of the most growth in their D+1 and D+2, I see Iggy getting the most gains.

jaffy27

From Russia wth Pain
Nov 18, 2007
Orleans
Yep, if they take a D again this draft it makes the decision to draft DR over Michkov last year even more mind boggling.
Nothing mind boggling about this…..don’t think Habs were planning on picking top 5 two years in a row….second, Having two top notch RHD on your team is things that NHL GM’s dream of

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I like Catton a lot but I just don't see him turning the needle for our team needs at the pro/NHL level. I have him pegged like a Jarvis type. Skills are amazing yes. I think his game changes a little bit when he turns pro.

Not even sure where I would put Lindstrom. He's a hard one to evaluate. But today, I would have edge to Iggy. Then guys like Catton, Sennecke, Eiserman, Helenius are right behind him.

In terms of the most growth in their D+1 and D+2, I see Iggy getting the most gains.
You see him as a Jarvis type but you don't think he moves the needle??? Jarvis is an amazing player.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
You see him as a Jarvis type but you don't think he moves the needle??? Jarvis is an amazing player.

I am after more than a 60-70 pts forward who is on the light side in weight. I said Jarvis for a reason and it's because I do like Catton but I have my eyes on a 30+ goal and 60-80 pts forward who can move the physical needle more in the playoffs.

Rangers are beating the Canes with both assets (Skill and Physicality). Both teams have good depth.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
I am after more than a 60-70 pts forward who is on the light side in weight. I said Jarvis for a reason and it's because I do like Catton but I have my eyes on a 30+ goal and 60-80 pts forward who can move the physical needle more in the playoffs.

Rangers are beating the Canes with both assets (Skill and Physicality). Both teams have good depth.
Jarvis is a 70 points player at 22 years old while being a pest, great on the board and defensively responsible. You're not getting much better than that at 5.

Rangers are beating the Canes because of their pathetic goaltending.

Anyway, Catton isn't similar to Jarvis aside from the fact they are both good players under 6' from the WHL.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Why is anyone even mentioning Catton? He’s 11th on Bob’s list with no chance to bring his stock up since his season is over, and Bobrov/Gorton just don’t want a small player. He just isn’t an actual option.

Deebs

There's no easy way out
Feb 5, 2014
Jarvis is a 70 points player at 22 years old while being a pest, great on the board and defensively responsible. You're not getting much better than that at 5.

Rangers are beating the Canes because of their pathetic goaltending.

Anyway, Catton isn't similar to Jarvis aside from the fact they are both good players under 6' from the WHL.
Agreed. Not sure Halifax has been watching Jarvis this year but he's a gritty player who initiates contact and goes to the dirty areas all the time. Would love to have him on our team.

Reactions: Mrb1p

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad