Votes: 55 16.1%
  • Zayne Parekh

Votes: 18 5.3%

• Total voters

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Depends on the KHL team, with SKA it's really not the case. For example Michkov only played 3 KHL games with them in his draft year and had 0 points. And this year he got 1 game with SKA despite already having proven he can score at the KHL level.

Ice time with SKA is rarely about what a young player has earned/deserves.

That's fair. My only point is I don't have Demidov penciled in as a BPA over many others in that 2-10+ range. Most have him 2nd or top 5. I have him in a group range from 2-7.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
The thing is, when you try to convince yourself of things and can't let go of your bias, you have opinions on players that just are not true. This prior post is a good example of this.

The more we dig into Iginla, the more I like. It's not just the points and goals. The other parts are very sound. .

1) Ability to play along the boards and escape with possession is very noticeable. For most young players, this takes years and some never figure it out. He knows how to use his body leverage.

2) Vision/Play Making. Most will look at his shot and goals and rightfully so but the vision and play making is just as good.

3) Skating/Cross overs/Edge work. Maybe not elite level but it's very good.

I think his ceiling is someone like Kaprisov or F Forsberg. Wingers with great goal scoring ability but can also dish the puck. Basically a play making winger with 30+ goal scoring Do you have any other comparisons?

His base would be someone like Newhook but a big bigger frame.

Reactions: Troyp

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
To this day I don't get Sennecke at 5. I don't know why we always here about this or that player being a product of but rarely hear that about him? He upgraded his points while being paired with Ritchie. I just don't see him as a play driver. I see Iginla and Catton as play drivers.But I see Sennecke at the same level as MBN. Could be very good complementary players. Somehow, MBN is never seen as a top 5 maybe not even top 10.

The only thing enticing with Sennecke is the possible growth. But that,s a big question mark. Possible growth does not automatically mean success. I love those kinds of picks...the possible growth picks...but not in the 1st round especially when there are others that might be just as good and maybe more predictable.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
So you watched Demidov in the MHL? Usually, the type of domination you are talking about would mean he would have gotten more than 4 KHL games right?

You don't agree they both dominated their junior leagues equally, But I have not seen any context into it? Explain it more? I believe the CHL is a bit more competitive than the MHL. Close but edge to CHL in my books.

I still stand firm until you provide the reasons/context. Iggy dominated the CHL just as much as Demidov dominated the MHL. Plus Iggy don't turn 18 until this Aug. Demidov turned 18 last December.
He also only got 7:29 a game. Mentioned already, but SKA is weird with young players, especially ones who are clearly en route to NA.

WeThreeKings

Habs cup - its in the BAG
Sep 19, 2006
Halifax
To this day I don't get Sennecke at 5. I don't know why we always here about this or that player being a product of but rarely hear that about him? He upgraded his points while being paired with Ritchie. I just don't see him as a play driver. I see Iginla and Catton as play drivers.But I see Sennecke at the same level as MBN. Could be very good complementary players. Somehow, MBN is never seen as a top 5 maybe not even top 10.

The only thing enticing with Sennecke is the possible growth. But that,s a big question mark. Possible growth does not automatically mean success. I love those kinds of picks...the possible growth picks...but not in the 1st round especially when there are others that might be just as good and maybe more predictable.

He's more a play driver than Iginla. Iginla is the ultimate complementary player, he deferred to Luchanko and Ritchie (Ryder)

Calum and Oshawa have fallen apart without Sennecke. It's looking more like Ritchie needed Sennecke. You're getting small man skill in a 6'3 body with Sennecke, the potential is special. He's very dynamic with the puck on his stick and is a threat to break through the entire defense at any moment.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
Romanov went through this too. I'm aware. My only point is I just don't see him being miles ahead of the other forwards. I can see him going anywhere from 2-6 range.
Fair enough, to me he's on the Celebrini tier, well ahead of the others. I think he'll need a couple years to adjust and then be insane.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Fair enough, to me he's on the Celebrini tier, well ahead of the others. I think he'll need a couple years to adjust and then be insane.

I'll trust Gorton/Hughes and our scouts if we take him. Most think he won't be on the board at 5.

I've played the pros/cons on several of the forward targets. I guess I got to dig a bit more into Demidov.

McGees

Jun 15, 2016
Just need someone to be in love with Silayev and Levshunov....or even a Buium/Dickinson and then we are in there like swimwear.

However, I'm totally satisfied with Iggy. He's one of youngest in draft, and Button always talking about how they knew Jarome was really good when they traded him but didn't know he'd develop to that level...could be same for Tij.

Reactions: bopeep

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com

i've watched 2 games so far, he's shown some flashes but has weak ankles and balance.

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
I'm fairly confident we will get one of these two and all the Iginla Sennecke Catton Helenius debates will be for nothing
I'm starting to feel this way too. I think at least two defencemen will be selected before we choose at 5, leaving us one of Lindstrom or Demidov.

The defencemen at the top of this draft all look quite promising, and it's hard to imagine GMs passing on some of them in favour of those forwards in this range. Last year, Reinbacher and Simashev (who by no means were identified as "consensus 5th and 6th overall picks) were picked above the highly skilled Michkov and Leonard. Plus, the four teams picking above us all took forwards last year with their highest pick. I don't think any of those teams are as "desperate" as the Habs might be to choose a forward over a defenceman.

Gustave

Feb 15, 2007
Here
Just need someone to be in love with Silayev and Levshunov....or even a Buium/Dickinson and then we are in there like swimwear.

However, I'm totally satisfied with Iggy. He's one of youngest in draft, and Button always talking about how they knew Jarome was really good when they traded him but didn't know he'd develop to that level...could be same for Tij.
I’d bet anything that Levshunov is going top 4. You don’t get the opportunity to draft a RD like that very often. The skills he oozes for his size is something else. He’s a game changing presence.

Plus, there’s a lot of room for him to learn and adapt to the NA and competition level (imagine playing all your life in Belarus). NCAA was a great choice for him.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
i've watched 2 games so far, he's shown some flashes but has weak ankles and balance.
They'll mostly put that on him not being used to his body....and the fact that he's only 170 lbs surely with the hope he gets that to 195......

I'm fairly confident we will get one of these two and all the Iginla Sennecke Catton Helenius debates will be for nothing
Tell me there's not a Helenius movement too....lol

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
I’d bet anything that Levshunov is going top 4. You don’t get the opportunity to draft a RD like that very often. The skills he oozes for his size is something else. He’s a game changing presence.

Plus, there’s a lot of room for him to learn and adapt to the NA and competition level (imagine playing all your life in Belarus). NCAA was a great choice for him.
He has been in NA for two full years (played for GB in USHL for a season before MSU) and I still haven't been impressed by the lack of structure in his defensive game and his constant poor reads. I know I'm in the very small minority here but I wouldn't spend a top 5 pick on a dman with such questionable hockey IQ and desire to play defense. Amazing skills/tools and he's built like a greek god but I think he's going to be in for a wake up call at the next level when ability to think the game is so crucial no matter how impressive your tools are.

Reactions: Gustave

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
They'll mostly put that on him not being used to his body....and the fact that he's only 170 lbs surely with the hope he gets that to 195......
I have seen him listed in the 180s in recent articles. The way he's growing, his playing weight at age 23 will be well over 200 lbs. He was 5ft10 two years ago when Oshawa drafted him. Unreal puck skills and was massive for Oshawa from January on when they surged up the standings and then had a terrific playoff before he got hurt. He was an impact player for 5 months heading into his draft.

Schooner Guy

Jun 23, 2006
Helenius should've done better. No two ways about it.
He had a great regular season and playoff in Liiga (amazing stats) but certainly didn't dominate at the WU18. I would like to have seen him carry his team like Dvorsky last year. I'm not holding the current World Men's tournament against a 17 year old however. A lot of very strong players have been overwhelmed at that tournament (they can't all be like Slaf). Hell a lot of 17 year old future stars get overwhelmed at the WJC.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad