Speculation: 2024 Off-Season Thread

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Duclair shouldn't even be given an offer from JBB tbh. He had a nice hot streak when joining us, but thenplayoffs showed you why this guy has been on like 7 other teams. He's not a piece you keep to build around your core. He doesn't really fit our system
I wouldn't go so far as to say he doesn't fit our system, because he does. His game is a revelation because it's built off speed. The issue with Duclair is the lack of presence on the forecheck. He's not as good as Point on the board and he doesn't have the vision like Kucherov in support. So, he ends up as the third wheel with speed that floats around. He's good at that, but that doesn't bode well for a +4M piece. His game doesn't really bolster our identity because you could always throw Hagel there and slide Paul up the lineup without using that extra 4M. Duclair is good and it's refreshing we explored that option, but I think you're right in saying that's probably why he's been on so many teams.

When a guy doesn't stick, there's probably valid reasons as to why. I think he's neutralized so easy coaches look elsewhere rather quickly.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
Duclair shouldn't even be given an offer from JBB tbh. He had a nice hot streak when joining us, but thenplayoffs showed you why this guy has been on like 7 other teams. He's not a piece you keep to build around your core. He doesn't really fit our system

If you're using 5 game sample sizes then there are about 10 players on this roster who "don't fit in the system", no one from this "core" has performed the last 2 playoff years btw. Vasi has been well below average, Point has been ineffective, Kucherov useless at ES.

Talk about reaching for conclusions, the playoffs don't say anything about Duclair, the reason he moves teams is because most of his career was spent as a journeyman player and he eventually became a value player who constantly outprices himself. He was actually great for the Panthers on his final year with them in the playoffs, not sure how anyone could argue otherwise. He left the Panthers the same way Killorn, Palat, Goodrow and Coleman left our team, couldn't afford them with other priorities, guess they "fit the system" either?

Last edited:

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
Killorn: 3 years left at $6.25 million. 18 goals 36 points

Goodrow: 3 years left at $3.641 million. 4 goals 12 points

Coleman: 4 years left at $4.9 million. 30 goals 54 points

Palat: 3 years left at $6 million. 11 goals 31 points

Gourde: 1 year left at $5.166 million. 11 goals 33 points

Holy crap. Wow. I know giving up that many assets for Jeannot was a mistake but leople need to get off JFBB's case. I knew the guys that left us cost a lot of money but I never actually laid out. ROFL holy f*** are some of these contracts terrible. This is a combined 14 years of term at about $25 million with Blake Coleman alone chipping in 30 of the combined 74 goals and 166 points. That's basically the only loss that's hurting us

We went to 3 straight Cups and did it when the cap was flat. I don't ever want to hear you guys trash JFBB again

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007
really the only criticism i can give JBB is that he has been unable to find the next johnson, gourde, goodrow, etc. the cheap (READ: $$$$) undervalued talent that got us to the depth to win the cups. jeannot was his shot, and he missed that one. i suppose hagel was his last success, but id like to see him hit again in the AHL or UDFA or somewhere else since we're out of assets.

maybe the rest of the NHL is wise to his tactics. i dunno. or maybe we lost some exec talent that was responsible for the diamond in the rough talent valuation. hard to say. until then i will continue to skip posts requesting we get $gourde back.

Flat Ronnie

Feb 11, 2014
really the only criticism i can give JBB is that he has been unable to find the next johnson, gourde, goodrow, etc. the cheap (READ: $$$$) undervalued talent that got us to the depth to win the cups. jeannot was his shot, and he missed that one. i suppose hagel was his last success, but id like to see him hit again in the AHL or UDFA or somewhere else since we're out of assets.

maybe the rest of the NHL is wise to his tactics. i dunno. or maybe we lost some exec talent that was responsible for the diamond in the rough talent valuation. hard to say. until then i will continue to skip posts requesting we get $gourde back.
He did find Hagel and Paul 🤷‍♂️

Reactions: DistantThunderRep

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004

TB doesn't seem that appealing for undrafted free agents right now. They want to sign with Chicago or San Jose and go into the NHL lineup right away. We could have had Cole Guttman and Sammy Walker in the mix if TB were able to seal the deal.

We could maybe get another European scout, primarily for Germany and Switzerland. There are 21 Czech players in the NHL, and there are 16 NHL players from Germany and Switzerland combined. Add in Austria and it's 17.

These Are The Days

Oh no! We suck again!!
May 17, 2014
Tampa Bay
TB doesn't seem that appealing for undrafted free agents right now. They want to sign with Chicago or San Jose and go into the NHL lineup right away. We could have had Cole Guttman and Sammy Walker in the mix if TB were able to seal the deal.

We could maybe get another European scout, primarily for Germany and Switzerland. There are 21 Czech players in the NHL, and there are 16 NHL players from Germany and Switzerland combined. Add in Austria and it's 17.
I think they just really want the money. I will be shocked if Reinhart doesn't sign with the Ducks for an absolute friggin BAG. Talkin about that Kucherov dough. Then they just go and draft whoever the top defenseman is in the draft and they're on a 2 year plan to take back the Pacific Ocean

RussianGuyovich

Hella Ennui
Jan 2, 2007

i mean, i agree with you, but the crunch should be appealing, imo. and that's where johnson and gourde started their journey. im guessing the nhl just got wise to tampa getting those undersized skilled forwards, and the zach benson's in the world now go in the top half of the first round.

LightningStrikes

Champa Bay Lightning
Nov 24, 2009

Good point. All three countries mentioned produce lots of talents these days.

Outside of Kölzig’s short stint here, Tampa doesn’t have a big history with these countries.

Felonious Python

Minor League Degenerate
Aug 20, 2004
Good point. All three countries mentioned produce lots of talents these days.

Outside of Kölzig’s short stint here, Tampa doesn’t have a big history with these countries.
It may still be a little early for a dedicated German/Swiss scout. The way you catch certain guys is through their national teams (or they move to play in a bigger league. SHL, KHL, CHL, etc.). Do they have the depth where you're seriously looking at guys who don't make the national team?

It's admittedly more important to get the big countries right. Canada, Sweden, USA, etc., but Germany and Switzerland seem to be moving in that direction.

b0lthed

Mar 7, 2023
Duclair would be wise to sign a deal with an AAV in the 3s. On our top line for a full season he’d set a career high in points.

Duclair-Point-Kucherov
Hagel-Stamkos-Quinn*
Amadio-Paul-Eyssimont
Chaffee-Glendening-Koepke
Watson

* Trade Cirelli for Jack Quinn and a pick. Use trades of Jeannot and Perbix to get rid of Sheary

bov

Nov 13, 2010
It makes little sense to trade Jeannot right now unless he requested one, or you happen to get a good offer which seems very unlikely. Doesn't seem like JBB's style.

IF one of the bigger names gets traded, it's either Cernak or Cirelli. Some of you need to stop wasting your time by floating Serg's name out there, he is an absolute lock to stay put.

As with some veteran players in the past, I wonder if Stamkos takes some kind of low cap hit short term "in good faith" deal where TB makes it up down the road when the cap situation is more flexible.

Sky04

Jan 8, 2009
You think Duchene is going to get more than $3M? I am not sure. He was good in the playoffs, but I don't know which direction Dallas is going or if they will keep him.

If he's signing cheap it's right back to Dallas, he had 25 goals and 65 points, if he's signing elsewhere it's going to be 5M+ but I'm pretty sure he said his goal is to re-sign in Dallas.

I think our only shot at him was last year after he got bought out and the Tampa hype train was still relatively high.

DistantThunderRep

Mar 8, 2018
If he's signing cheap it's right back to Dallas, he had 25 goals and 65 points, if he's signing elsewhere it's going to be 5M+ but I'm pretty sure he said his goal is to re-sign in Dallas.

I think our only shot at him was last year after he got bought out and the Tampa hype train was still relatively high.
I wonder if he goes cup chasing and if Dallas decides to just pay him Pavelski's money since he's retiring.

RLP55

Jul 13, 2022
For those that have more knowledge of other organizations and possible system fit. Any of the below ‘attainable’ or desirable by the Lightning.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad