WC: 2024 World Championship general discussion

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
And since I"m on it.lol... watching Canada vs Denmark right now.. Packed arena! Those aren't all Danish and Canuck fans.

Please find me a sold out Czech vs Denmark U20 game in Canada. Or the attendance of the non Canada pool arena. Because Ostrava is selling out too.

I was there, can confirm that a vast majority of the fans seemed to be Czech. Though I also heard some German and Russian. Nevertheless everyone was cheering actively for every good play. Even in the upper rows where I was, I heard some chants break out of "Let's go Ka-na-da" (very clearly not Canadians). Then when the Danes were pushing hard to level up in the second, suddenly everyone was a Denmark fan - lots of "Denmark" chanting and very involved encouragement of their efforts to tie the game. At the end of the day, Canada dropping points would help the Czech table and who doesn't love pulling for the underdog? I'll tell you who, the little boy I overheard when I was leaving telling his father (in czech) - "Daddy, I was cheering for the team who won!" So you were, you little bandwagoner, so you were

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
Am I the only one who thinks the event, atmosphere and so on would be much better and much more attractive for fans and players if the entire tournamnet was held in Prag? The venues are there, so that wouldn`t be an issue.

Poro24

May 4, 2005
Finland
Amazing full arenas! It seems that after many let down years the tournament spirit and atmosphere is back again.

When Finland hosted this tournament (two years in a row!), it was just business. They did not care about the fans. It was just ridiculous ticked prices, empty arenas with corporate guests and crappy atmosphere. Only purpose of the tournament was to make money and keep real hockey fans away from the arenas.

When it's Finlands turn to host this tournament again, please give it to Czechia instead.

illone84

Sep 15, 2005
London
Amazing full arenas! It seems that after many let down years the tournament spirit and atmosphere is back again.

When Finland hosted this tournament (two years in a row!), it was just business. They did not care about the fans. It was just ridiculous ticked prices, empty arenas with corporate guests and crappy atmosphere. Only purpose of the tournament was to make money and keep real hockey fans away from the arenas.

When it's Finlands turn to host this tournament again, please give it to Czechia instead.
Czechia + Slovakia are top spots for this tournie, I wish it were hosted in those countries much more often. I've never been to Skoda games in Sweden + Denmark but I presume not that much better than the atmosphere in Finland.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland

Finland should only host junior tournaments and leave the WHC to central European countries.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Am I the only one who thinks the event, atmosphere and so on would be much better and much more attractive for fans and players if the entire tournamnet was held in Prag? The venues are there, so that wouldn`t be an issue.

Has there ever been a tournament held in just one city? I don't believe so. It's a fact of the schedule that games have to be going on concurrently. Quite outside of the general cohesion principle of spreading the love beyond the most powerful economic metropolis. Additionally, Ostrava does provide a better location for at least the fans from Slovakia and Poland.

Reactions: Summer Rose

Reindl87

May 18, 2012
Has there ever been a tournament held in just one city? I don't believe so. It's a fact of the schedule that games have to be going on concurrently. Quite outside of the general cohesion principle of spreading the love beyond the most powerful economic metropolis. Additionally, Ostrava does provide a better location for at least the fans from Slovakia and Poland.
Prag doesn`t only have one big arena. So that would not be a factor. And with all respect but outside of Slovakia and Poland all other fans would be prefer being in Prag over Ostrava. And I am sure a good fraction of Polosh and Slowak people would be, too. Having the whole tournament in one twon would have a lot of advantages and would create a fantastic atmosphere.
Especially when there such a huge discrapacy between the two host cities, as it is here.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Prag doesn`t only have one big arena. So that would not be a factor. And with all respect but outside of Slovakia and Poland all other fans would be prefer being in Prag over Ostrava. And I am sure a good fraction of Polosh and Slowak people would be, too. Having the whole tournament in one twon would have a lot of advantages and would create a fantastic atmosphere.
Especially when there such a huge discrapacy between the two host cities, as it is here.

What other big arena is there in Prague? You mean Tipsport arena? Enhhh, I wouldn't want to host a prestigious international tournament there, I rather doubt that it meets the requirements even. And again, what is the precedent for hosting in just one city? If anything, the trend is to spread it between even more places.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
At any rate, they are preparing to build a new large-capacity arena in Brno. I imagine it will take the place of Ostrava in any further tournaments. I know lots of fans would "prefer" to be in Prague, but it's the reality of such tournaments that it is split between cities, and even though Prague is like 50% hotels, having all the fans here would severely overburden its capacity.

Reactions: Old Man Jags

vlady

May 22, 2009
Bratislava
www.powerplay.studio
Yes, and not even that long ago, 2021 in Riga, 2014 Minsk, 2006 also Riga

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
Yes, and not even that long ago, 2021 in Riga, 2014 Minsk, 2006 also Riga

K, fair enough, didn't feel like checking it. Still stand by what I said though, Prague does not have a second venue that is up to par and I don't think we'll see it happen.

Reactions: Summer Rose

SoundAndFury

May 28, 2012
Mm yes you are the only one? Ostrava sells out Polish games that would otherwise be some of the tougher sells and in general, the atmosphere there was great, I don't get what the issue is. While focussing everything in one city just puts a tremendous strain on its infrastructure, that's why it's generally not done.

Reactions: maclean

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad