Confirmed with Link: Adam Engström signs 3 year ELC

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Harris would get claimed on waivers

Maybe. Hard to say but I'd give it a 75% chance Harris gets claimed. He is after all a decent 3rd pairing D man who has shown maturity very early.

Might be a reality to come in the next few years with the Habs. We are loaded with prospects and they are filtering through now. Test them hard so we know where they are when the waivers problems happens. We won't be able to trade them all for more futures.

I bet you other GM's are looking at the Habs and wondering who goes on waivers in the coming years. When Hughes calls them to try to make a 1/1 trade, we likely are offered someone who also has to clear waivers.

I wonder what their plan his to ensure they don't undersell these extra def due to team seeing us coming with our "problem". I guess the key is to identify who you want to keep long term before they become waiver eligible.

I personally think Struble/Savard/Kovacevic are gone this year. I somehow prefer Harris' game an d reliability over Struble's. Struble's physical aspect is overrated imo.

The plan should be to test them in many different situations. Ensure that we know who we want to keep and who we may want to let go.

We still have decent options to test guys like Harris, Struble, Barron this season if we don't rush guys like Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux. I see too many Habs fans who want to move the up faster.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
Maybe. Hard to say but I'd give it a 75% chance Harris gets claimed. He is after all a decent 3rd pairing D man who has shown maturity very early.

Might be a reality to come in the next few years with the Habs. We are loaded with prospects and they are filtering through now. Test them hard so we know where they are when the waivers problems happens. We won't be able to trade them all for more futures.

I bet you other GM's are looking at the Habs and wondering who goes on waivers in the coming years. When Hughes calls them to try to make a 1/1 trade, we likely are offered someone who also has to clear waivers.

The plan should be to test them in many different situations. Ensure that we know who we want to keep and who we may want to let go.

We still have decent options to test guys like Harris, Struble, Barron this season if we don't rush guys like Reinbacher, Hutson, Mailloux. I see too many Habs fans who want to move the up faster.
While I think Mailloux is about ready I have no issue with another half season in Laval. Reinbacher should also play in Laval. No need to rush non waiver eligible players.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
While I think Mailloux is about ready I have no issue with another half season in Laval. Reinbacher should also play in Laval. No need to rush non waiver eligible players.
This will provide the team an opportunity to better showcase Harris, Struble, etc. until (if) Mailloux, Reinbacher, etc. do become ready.

Reactions: bsl and PhysicX

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
This will provide the team an opportunity to better showcase Harris, Struble, etc. until (if) Mailloux, Reinbacher, etc. do become ready.
As it stands now, Struble, Xhekaj, or Hutson would start in Laval. Of the three, I'd send down Struble. But, it's early in the offseason.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
Xhekaj will never play in Laval again.
I mean, we'll see what happens this offseason. I expect Hughes to make a trade. But if he doesn't like the offers, and ew have 9 dmen going into the season, I could see him doing what he did with the 3 goalies this year - keeping a surplus until the right offer comes along.

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron/Harris/Struble/Kovacevic

Laval:
Engstom - Reinbacher
Trudeau - Mailloux
Bisson - Galipeau

We will likely only carry 7 or 8 dmen. If we carry 8 dmen, one of the waiver exempt dmen in Montreal needs to go to Laval. I think Hutson proves invaluable. So then it's between Xhekaj and Struble (until there is a trade). I for sure think it should be Struble.

Reactions: Runner77

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I mean, we'll see what happens this offseason. I expect Hughes to make a trade. But if he doesn't like the offers, and ew have 9 dmen going into the season, I could see him doing what he did with the 3 goalies this year - keeping a surplus until the right offer comes along.

Matheson - Guhle
Hutson - Savard
Xhekaj - Barron/Harris/Struble/Kovacevic

Laval:
Engstom - Reinbacher
Trudeau - Mailloux
Bisson - Galipeau

We will likely only carry 7 or 8 dmen. If we carry 8 dmen, one of the waiver exempt dmen in Montreal needs to go to Laval. I think Hutson proves invaluable. So then it's between Xhekaj and Struble (until there is a trade). I for sure think it should be Struble.
The good thing is that guys like Hutson, Mailloux and Reinbacher don't need to clear waivers, that means there is no rush. Barron is the most pressing.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
The good thing is that guys like Hutson, Mailloux and Reinbacher don't need to clear waivers, that means there is no rush. Barron is the most pressing.

I think Hutson proves invaluable. That's where the crunch comes from. Before his 2 games I had him penciled in for Laval. Afterwards, I now have him penciled in for Montreal. It was a small sample size. But if in camp he proves to he too much to keep off the team, one of the other waiver eligible dmen will have to go to Laval, again if Hughes hasn't yet made a trade. And the only other two waiver eligible dmen are Struble amd Xhekaj, and Guhle.

Anyways, in that scenario, Struble would seem to me to be the one who could still develop his game in Laval.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I think Hutson proves invaluable. That's where the crunch comes from. Before his 2 games I had him penciled in for Laval. Afterwards, I now have him penciled in for Montreal. It was a small sample size. But if in camp he proves to he too much to keep off the team, one of the other waiver eligible dmen will have to go to Laval, again if Hughes hasn't yet made a trade. And the only other two waiver eligible dmen are Struble amd Xhekaj, and Guhle.

Anyways, in that scenario, Struble would seem to me to be the one who could still develop his game in Laval.
I am in the serious minority but I am not sold on Guhle longterm.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
In a league with 32 teams, there is zero doubt Harris would get claimed. Arguing the opposite is underrating what Harris brings. Harris doesn't have the same size concern as a guy like Mete did.

I'd be around 80% sure he gets claimed. Not 100% but close. Honestly though, does it really matter if he gets claimed?

Something we might have to get use to with all that draft power that is filtering in our system now. Just make sure they are tested and we know what we have first. That's the important thing.

I'm sure Hughes will try to get a future pick for Harris or he is in a trade package. Even if we get a 3rd rounder, it's better than waivers. Might come down to that.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

He's a stable top 4D. Above average 2nd pairing and below average top paring. I think we know what we have today. The issue is some have penciled him as a top pairing quality. He's basically a better version of Romanov.

The part I would dislike if we move Guhle is that big body. Someone who has learned how to neutralize forwards along the walls and in front of the net.

Your mistake is penciling anything after 2 NHL games. Did you see his miss coverage in his own zone or were you watching the offensive parts only?

How deflating would it be if we insert him like KK (because he don't look out of place evaluation) and then have to send him down to AHL? Won't kill him but that does have development derail and messes around confidence/momentum.

The message I would have with Hutson is we know you have offensive skills and skating. However, our true evaluation comes at both ends of the ice. Your ability to produce offensively but also play our D structure and not miss coverage/communication with your partner and forwards.

Reactions: bsl

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast

:nod:

Too many fans are in a rush to move D men up to fast. We have clutter yes but it's not a desperation problem. Mailloux, Hutson. Reinbacher can play AHL and there is no "blocking" going on. They need to mature in the pro game and learn how to be reliable. Look how long it's taking Barron.

Starting ELC/RFA years a year or two later is a good strategy. Make them earn their way with a dual evaluation approach. Looking at both Offensive numbers and Defensive numbers.

Reactions: Tyson

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
As it stands now, Struble, Xhekaj, or Hutson would start in Laval. Of the three, I'd send down Struble. But, it's early in the offseason.
Don’t forget. It’s the Habs. Training camp means injuries.

Reactions: bsl

Zam Boni

Dec 14, 2009
Engström played with quite a team his last season i Djurgården's junior program.
In his draft year they had Liam Öhgren (Wild), Jonathan Lekkeremäki (Canucks), Noah Östlund (Sabres), Calle Odelius (Islanders), Oscar Jellvik (Bruins).

Öhgren has already played (and scored a goal) with the Wild, Lekkeremäki and Östlund have played in the AHL.

Let's go Adam!
Det kommer blir grymt!

Reactions: Eegs and bopeep

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I'd be around 80% sure he gets claimed. Not 100% but close. Honestly though, does it really matter if he gets claimed?

Something we might have to get use to with all that draft power that is filtering in our system now. Just make sure they are tested and we know what we have first. That's the important thing.

I'm sure Hughes will try to get a future pick for Harris or he is in a trade package. Even if we get a 3rd rounder, it's better than waivers. Might come down to that.
I'd say it matters in that we'd be wasting trade capital for no reason. As you said, he can fetch a 3rd. May as well do it, or use him to trade up from the WPG pick.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
He's a stable top 4D. Above average 2nd pairing and below average top paring. I think we know what we have today. The issue is some have penciled him as a top pairing quality. He's basically a better version of Romanov.

The part I would dislike if we move Guhle is that big body. Someone who has learned how to neutralize forwards along the walls and in front of the net.

Your mistake is penciling anything after 2 NHL games. Did you see his miss coverage in his own zone or were you watching the offensive parts only?

How deflating would it be if we insert him like KK (because he don't look out of place evaluation) and then have to send him down to AHL? Won't kill him but that does have development derail and messes around confidence/momentum.

The message I would have with Hutson is we know you have offensive skills and skating. However, our true evaluation comes at both ends of the ice. Your ability to produce offensively but also play our D structure and not miss coverage/communication with your partner and forwards.
Pencil means he can be erased. If you pencil someone else in, that could just as easily be a "mistake", and Hutson will take their spot.

Like I said, we'll see at camp and the preseason - and the start of the regular season.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Pencil means he can be erased. If you pencil someone else in, that could just as easily be a "mistake", and Hutson will take their spot.

Like I said, we'll see at camp and the preseason - and the start of the regular season.

Only pencils I use today is the ones on the golf course. No eraser on the back side. haha.

We will see in camp. Agreed there.

• Haha
Reactions: 26Mats

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
It depends on what you are not sold on. If its the belief that he is a number #1 defenceman who can play in all game situations including driving the power play and will be a perennial Norris Trophy candidate, then I share your scepticism. But I think his package of skills, defensive acumen and skating ability makes him a top 2 defenceman on any contender.

Above all, I appreciate the leadership qualities that he offers to the team. Guhle is a future captain.

26Mats

Jun 23, 2018
It depends on what you are not sold on. If its the belief that he is a number #1 defenceman who can play in all game situations including driving the power play and will be a perennial Norris Trophy candidate, then I share your scepticism. But I think his package of skills, defensive acumen and skating ability makes him a top 2 defenceman on any contender.

Above all, I appreciate the leadership qualities that he offers to the team. Guhle is a future captain.
Guhle still has some things to prove to me.

I can see the talent, the skating, the defensive awareness. But can he stay healthy? Also he's gotten beat cleanly one on one many times. Can he avoid that in the future?

Reactions: Runner77

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Guhle still has some things to prove to me.

I can see the talent, the skating, the defensive awareness. But can he stay healthy? Also he's gotten beat cleanly one on one many times. Can he avoid that in the future?
Every defenceman gets beaten one on one on occasion. My ‘concern’ is his ability to key the power play. Some here, disenchanted with Matheson, clamour for Guhle to replace him on our power play. Nothing that I have seen so far gives me any confidence that Guhle can, or ever will, effectively drive our power play.

Reactions: Habs Halifax

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Every defenceman gets beaten one on one on occasion. My ‘concern’ is his ability to key the power play. Some here, disenchanted with Matheson, clamour for Guhle to replace him on our power play. Nothing that I have seen so far gives me any confidence that Guhle can, or ever will, effectively drive our power play.

I agree with this assessment. Guhle to me is a shutdown physical type and a 30-40 pts guy. It's not like he sucks offensively but he's limited.

I actually think Matheson should be extended (Unless we get offered something we can't refuse). If we can extend him for 3 more years on top of the next 2, that takes him to age 35. Not desperate to do this but something on the back of my mind and we got some time to sort it out.

Having all 3 of Matheson, Hutson, and Mailloux helps us ice two good PP units. Not just one. I really like how Matheson has matured with the Habs and MSL. A piece like this to QB a PP is not easy to find and I think he ages well.

Anyways, back to Enstrom. Very interested to see how quickly he shows maturity. Is it fast like Struble or slow like Barron.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad