All-Purpose News Thread Part II

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
The problem with Dave's ratings is once you set a standard for decades it's 5 stars, it makes 0 sense to start giving out 6 and 7 stars

His new star system reminds me of

I would’ve just went 5+. Just give it an undefined high point. He did have a 6-star Flair/Steamboat match in the 80’s, so that already broke the system.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
I would’ve just went 5+. Just give it an undefined high point. He did have a 6-star Flair/Steamboat match in the 80’s, so that already broke the system.
How many people know it was originally a 4 star system and that Cornette was the first guy who went beyond it (for a Lawler-Funk bout in the Memphis territory iirc)?

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
How many people know it was originally a 4 star system and that Cornette was the first guy who went beyond it (for a Lawler-Funk bout in the Memphis territory iirc)?
Probably not very many since it was in the 80’s. I don’t know what Cornette does other than scream about things, although I do enjoy him on Dark Side of the Ring.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
But his point is that it’s not worth the argument.

I saw Mayu Iwatani vs. Sareee a couple weeks ago, he has 4.75, if I’ve decided it’s one of the three best matches I’ve seen this year, we would have nothing to argue about.
His point is it's not worth the argument because he doesn't want to argue it... Because he can't justify never having given Kurt a 5* match lol.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
His point is it's not worth the argument because he doesn't want to argue it... Because he can't justify never having given Kurt a 5* match lol.
If that were the case, the issue would not have taken until like 12 years after the match took place to come up.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
If that were the case, the issue would not have taken until like 12 years after the match took place to come up.
Pretty sure the issue came up years later because Dave broke the scale and then started handing out 5* matches like candy.

Probably about the time that he gave Ospreay four in a week.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Pretty sure the issue came up years later because Dave broke the scale and then started handing out 5* matches like candy.

Probably about the time that he gave Ospreay four in a week.

The issue first came up after Wrestle Kingdom 11 when he went to the second 6-star match with the first Okada/Omega match. At times, some years before because it was a big reason New Japan got hot with Okada’s rise. But even at that, it is a scale, not an award. The standards change sometimes, it’s something he said and wrote after the 7-star match. Kurt Angle not out there complaining if he had his career-best match against Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania because Dave didn’t rate it 5-stars.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Apparently Becky hasn't signed her new contract yet? Not that I think she's leaving but wow...
She may be looking at some other things. I'd have to think WWE would be amenable to her working a lighter schedule. But by the same token, what else does she have left to accomplish there?

If the other things she's looking at involves actively wrestling, she's 37. If she's not doing it now, she never will.

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Apparently Becky hasn't signed her new contract yet? Not that I think she's leaving but wow...
Get the feeling she got word of how much Mercedes is getting paid and went "Hey, I'm not only one of the biggest women's stars I am also as big a draw as any of the men so I should be paid at that level" and will go to FA and sign with whomever offers her the $ she wants.

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Get the feeling she got word of how much Mercedes is getting paid and went "Hey, I'm not only one of the biggest women's stars I am also as big a draw as any of the men so I should be paid at that level" and will go to FA and sign with whomever offers her the $ she wants.
And they’re not even booking Mercedes to wrestle. Maybe she wants to check out Japan, too. Same with Bayley. Not Charlotte though.

Wonder if they want another kid, too.

Fro

Cheatin on CBJ w TBL
Mar 11, 2009
The Beach, FL
Like I said, I expect her to sign the deal, but we all know money talks...what she said in some random interviews is meaningless

GKJ

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
She’ll see herself doing it real quick if someone else writes a check with the right kind of number on it.

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
Like I said, I expect her to sign the deal, but we all know money talks...what she said in some random interviews is meaningless
It was Ariel Helwani's MMA Hour and she said she has no plans on wrestling for another promotion.

Even if Lynch and WWE are playing a bit of negotiation chicken in contract talks, it would be a major surprise if she left. Her husband, Seth Rollins, just re-signed on a massive new contract. It feels unlikely that Lynch would want to separate from Rollins, and she told Ariel Helwani of the MMA Hour that she had no plans on wrestling for another promotion.

"I am so confident in my ability and my worth," Lynch said.

WWE wants to keep Lynch and she wants to stay, so we're willing to bank on this all being a negotiating ploy from both sides.

• Haha
Reactions: Fro

Jussi

Feb 28, 2002
Mojo Dojo Casa House
WWE and Jesse "The Body" Ventura negotiating on a WWE Legends deal.

“We don’t know right now fully. They want to bring me back under their Legends [deal]. If you go back to WrestleMania 1, there aren’t too many of us alive anymore. It is true. Look, Roddy’s gone, Orndorff’s gone, Andre’s gone, John Studd’s gone. … Junkyard Dog’s gone. You have more gone. It goes on and on.

“I’m getting older. I’m in my 70s now. I just want to open up the door at the end of the wrestling career and see what’s still left there. And it ain’t like I’m going to go back on the mic because, I’ll be honest with you, I don’t even know who wrestles there anymore.”

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
The issue first came up after Wrestle Kingdom 11 when he went to the second 6-star match with the first Okada/Omega match. At times, some years before because it was a big reason New Japan got hot with Okada’s rise. But even at that, it is a scale, not an award. The standards change sometimes, it’s something he said and wrote after the 7-star match. Kurt Angle not out there complaining if he had his career-best match against Shawn Michaels at Wrestlemania because Dave didn’t rate it 5-stars.

Kurt Angle ain't complaining because Kurt Angle knows Dave's ratings don't mean shit lol.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad