Player Discussion: Andrei Vasilevskiy - Part 2

Leafshater67

Nov 2, 2019
Halifax
I know he has flaws but he’s a great goalie overall who has been uncharacteristically bad.

Could it be possible they’re playing him too much? Maybe giving him more rest through the regular season, especially down the stretch would be beneficial.

Either way though, losing McDonough has been massive for everybody.

Reactions: DFC and Meuracas

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Vasi now at -5.1 goals saved above expected...that means he was -2.0 last night...he spotted Toronto two freebies.

Incredible. Samsonov is -3.0, he's been one of the worst goalies (by that stat this postseason) and we're almost certainly going to be eliminated because Vasi was actually not just worse, but demonstrably worse. Imagine before the series saying Samsonov would have poor numbers though four games while we had Vasi and taking a guess where we'd be right now. You'd probably say, at a minimum, 3-1 up, which based on how we've played overall sounds about right. I have no clue if this team is good enough to win the Cup, to get past Boston or whatever, but Vasi has made it so that we'll never know the answer because he's just flat out sucked.

1-9 in our last 10 overtime games. After a while, that can't just be a coincidence.

The Gongshow

Fire JBB
Jul 17, 2014
Toronto
He's gotta be injured right?

He's gonna have a long offseason. If he comes out next year looking like he did this year then its time to move on and hope a mid to bottom team is willing to take his contract. Maybe Detroit/lalonde/Yzerman will take him

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
He's gotta be injured right?

He's gonna have a long offseason. If he comes out next year looking like he did this year then its time to move on and hope a mid to bottom team is willing to take his contract. Maybe Detroit/lalonde/Yzerman will take him
Nobody is taking Bobrovsky and he's a two time Vezina winner. And if we deal him we'd likely have to retain, and a decent goalie is still at least $5 or 6 millions so we'd save absolutely nothing in the end. Just have to believe your elite goalie is actually elite and will bounce back the same way Price did.

T REX

Feb 28, 2013
I say you give him till January to turn it around then package him up for picks/players. He's turned into Boborosky

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB

Known weakness for a while now and our goalie coach hasn't done anything to remedy it apparently

Is he allowed to give that up?

Man if this is true, it feels like the end. They can just flick pucks at him. And that seems to be happening.

Stammertime91

TBL: TEAM OF THE CENTURY
Dec 13, 2011
Tampa: NHL's Newest Dynasty
Is he allowed to give that up?

Man if this is true, it feels like the end. They can just flick pucks at him. And that seems to be happening.
Well, he did and here we are. Kind of shitty for Lalonde to say though regardless.

I wouldn't go that far but it's certainly "high blocker" material teams are gonna use on him going forward. Would be funny to see someone on a breakaway just fling one in at the blue line.

Reactions: J T Money

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
The thing that separates the greats from the average is the ability to find your weakness and make it a strength. It’s also frantz jeans job to find these things and work on them. Vasys been terrible blocker side for awhile now and everyone knows it.

Master P

Mar 31, 2016
Florida

Known weakness for a while now and our goalie coach hasn't done anything to remedy it apparently

Pretty sure shots and tipped shots from the point in front of a screen is a weakness for every goalie lol.

One bad season and we're trying to entertain trade options. God I f***ing love this place!
The season isn't even over lol. Still have games to play.

garmonbozia

Jan 10, 2006
Anybody remember the "out of work goalies" ad campaign from Nike back in the 90's? They're all doing low wage jobs in their goalie gear; cabbie, gardener, panhandle, etc. And muttering about the stars that exposed their flaws and cost them their jobs?

Whenever Vasi has a bad game I think of those commercials and picture him in his new gig as a kitty midwife muttering about his leaky blocker.

Then I remember he's still the best we've ever seen in a Lightning uniform and it'll probably be an awfully LONG time before we see another get to dance around wearing the Conn Smythe trophy as a helmet.

Glad to have him, warts and all. We know we can win with him, even if we don't this year. Which is better than dipping back into the carousel of unknown mediocrity (or worse)

DrMartinVanNostrand

Kramerica Industries
Oct 6, 2017
Tampa, FL
Well, he did and here we are. Kind of shitty for Lalonde to say though regardless.

It doesn't seem like he revealed anything that the scouting staffs of every NHL team wouldn't be able to figure out on their own anyway. Clearly the self-scouting as well. Discover a weakness, do what you can to mask it as best you can. I mean, how many goals have we seen these past two games, and especially last night, that originated from above the circles? We aren't working as NHL scouts and can observe these things for ourselves.

Rschmitz

Finding new ways to cheat
Feb 27, 2002
Tampa Bay
Vasy's weakness has been well known for a long time now and even how our defensive system works around it. Still not happy about a former coach confirming and commenting on the inner workings of his former team. Ultimately it makes no difference though.

Reactions: JFleegs and DFC

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Vasy's weakness has been well known for a long time now and even how our defensive system works around it. Still not happy about a former coach confirming and commenting on the inner workings of his former team. Ultimately it makes no difference though.

Yeah all the snitching Lalonde has been doing on Sportsnet has been bothering me as well. Seems like he's been giving a little too much insight.

I did like the story about Kucherov breaking two ribs off the Mayfield crosscheck.

Reactions: Rschmitz

DFC

Sep 26, 2013
NB
Pretty sure shots and tipped shots from the point in front of a screen is a weakness for every goalie lol.

The season isn't even over lol. Still have games to play.
Some of the tips barely qualify as tips though, and all he would need to do is be in position to stop them. Theyre beating him in ways you dont see average goalies get beat.

And all it really comes down to is how rarely he is as good as the guy at the other end.

Not saying we trade him or anything. Just saying there's a big problem that needs to be fixed.

Hoek

Legendary Poster A
May 12, 2003
Tampa, FL
I think they meant 1 cup as in the 2004 one, leaving this current core with 0.

And yeah, Vasi has actually saved some deflections in the past, not a majority of course, but more than his fair share. That's the sort of saves that get you the "best goaltender in the world" title in the first place. A lot of them are just being in the right place and letting them hit you. These seem to be burning him while he's still searching for the puck.

Reactions: FinnLightning26

JFleegs

Dec 9, 2010
Virginia Beach
Well If the team gave up as easily as some of the posters on here then we would still only have 1 cup.

Call me crazy for not giving up before the series is over.
Yeah really is a dick thing to do, especially in the middle of a playoff series. Hope uncle feasted is never invited back to Tampa Bay for any celebrations.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad