Around the league part 2

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
Well again, McDavid was going for a body check on Anderson and boarded him while giving him a concussion. As you say, no consistency.
There's also this crosscheck to the head:

Again, if the league wants to punish these behaviors, go for it. But it looks more like tbe bigger offense is the recipient than the act. And it just shouldn't be a factor.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I think this series does have a chance to really explode tonight, it won't be 90's style Wings-Avs violence because the game is just so different, but I could easily see Edmonton going after Hughes in a blatant way. This is one of these years where the divisional playoff is matching up teams that just hate each other, that coupled with the lack of 1st round upsets has produced a pretty damn exciting 2nd round.

lumbergh

It was an idea. I didn't say it was a good idea.
Jan 8, 2007
Richmond, VA
I think this series does have a chance to really explode tonight, it won't be 90's style Wings-Avs violence because the game is just so different, but I could easily see Edmonton going after Hughes in a blatant way. This is one of these years where the divisional playoff is matching up teams that just hate each other, that coupled with the lack of 1st round upsets has produced a pretty damn exciting 2nd round.
Every one of the second round series has been good. The Rangers-Canes series looked like a romp until it didn't. Florida showing up Boston for the second year in a row (so far). Dallas somehow shutting down MacKinnon and the Avs' awesome top line. Vancouver showing the Oilers they're the good team they were the entire season.

The Oilers need power plays (4/8 this series) to win games against the Canucks, so trying to draw some penalties by going after Hughes makes sense. Vancouver also has a very good and productive power play (3/9 this series), so the Oilers can't be taking dumb penalities either.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I have no idea what Herby is watching that he thinks a simple cross check is worthy of a suspension. To blame Soucy for Zadorov simultaneously pushing McDavid making a simple after the scrum cross check result to a hit in the face is one of the dumbest thing I've read on here.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I spent a big chunk of my childhood in Vancouver as a Kings fan. The obnoxiousness of that fanbase runs deep with me. This is the first time in my life that I’ve cheered for the Canucks to win a game/series.
Deal with it! Remember the avatars of Canucks fans in the 2012 playoffs?

• Haha
Reactions: Nasti

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
I have no idea what Herby is watching that he thinks a simple cross check is worthy of a suspension. To blame Soucy for Zadorov simultaneously pushing McDavid making a simple after the scrum cross check result to a hit in the face is one of the dumbest thing I've read on here.

Yea, it’s only me that thinks that. Nobody else (including the league) thought it warranted anything.

A cross check to the face is now a “simple cross check” as well, good to know.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Yea, it’s only me that thinks that. Nobody else (including the league) thought it warranted anything.

Do you have any idea what “reaction time” means? You’re absolutely crazy if you think he targeted his head when McDavid simultaneously fell. There is ZERO chance he targeted his head. Thinking he did tells me you’ve never played sports competitively if you think he could react that quickly.

bland

Jul 1, 2004

If you are quoting me you have it all wrong, that post was about Zadorov's crosscheck, not Soucy's.

Herby

Now I can die in peace
Feb 27, 2002
Michigan
Do you have any idea what “reaction time” means? You’re absolutely crazy if you think he targeted his head when McDavid simultaneously fell. There is ZERO chance he targeted his head. Thinking he did tells me you’ve never played sports competitively if you think he could react that quickly.

Nope, never played sports competitively, you got me.

A player took a cross check to the face after the final buzzer and you are outraged that there is a suspension. If you don’t want to suspend that player, fine, suspend the player who came in late as a third man into an altercation between two players and cowardly cross checked someone from behind causing that person to take a stick to the face, either way, a lot of people including the league thought it warranted a suspension.

Reactions: johnjm22

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
Nope, never played sports competitively, you got me.

A player took a cross check to the face after the final buzzer and you are outraged that there is a suspension. If you don’t want to suspend that player, fine, suspend the player who came in late as a third man into an altercation between two players and cowardly cross checked someone from behind causing that person to take a stick to the face, either way, a lot of people including the league thought it warranted a suspension.
A lot of people don’t think it warrants a suspension so I don’t know what echo chamber you’re in, you and oiler fans alone. If anything they should have just fined Zadorov alone because if he didn’t push McDavid then it would have just been your typical after the game scrum that never results into anything or at worse, a two minute penalty for cross checking. The multiplying factor here was Zadorov and Soucy got punished for something that at worse was a cross check to the chest that results in a two minute penalty.

People in this page or the last posted some more egregious cross checks to the face by the oilers against the Canucks that resulted in not even a penalty. So I don’t know how you are here complaining that it should be a suspension.

Reactions: steepdrop

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I might be in the minority, but I take no joy in seeing McDavid hit like that.

Soucy isn't trying to cross check him in the face, but it doesn't matter. It's a non hockey play in which a player took a potentially dangerous hit to the head. League needed to do something IMO.

1 game seems appropriate.

And had the league done nothing, it would probably end up with the next game getting even more nasty than it otherwise would have been.

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
much worse hits have gone unpunished so I don’t know what the f*** you’re talking about the league “needed” to do something when they’ve been very comfortable not doing shit in much worse instances.

When McDavid blatantly injured Anderson the league didn’t even suspend him.

BaileyFan

Jun 14, 2023
Nothing wrong with what Vancouver did considering the player. Hell, take down Blake and Luc’s numbers from the rafters and put Zadorov and Soucy’s up there the next time the Canucks are in LA. Maybe it’ll inspire the current Kings.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad