Around the NHL — Episode XLXVI

Tnuoc Alucard

🇨🇦🔑🧲✈️🎲🥅🎱🍟🥨🌗
Sep 23, 2015
I think it was less a joke and more an attempt to rile up some culture war nonesense...

The poster suggested Mormons as the Utah nickname, and I responded with obvious reaction from progressive activists… in jest, but yes it would happen. ….. it’s not nonsense…. It’s reality.

• Haha
Reactions: Micklebot

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Bullshit. There is a line between wackos wanting every single little thing changed or eliminated, and those that want to change some things that make sense.

First Nations groups have voiced for years that some of the names used were offensive. Hard to believe they could be upset, they only lost an estimated 50% of their population from the genocide during colonization.

As someone with First Nations heritage I have never had a problem with the Washington Redskins or Chicago Black hawks. I’m repulsed by the chants at Atlanta Braves and FLA St Seminole games. Yes the Cleland baseball team logo was the worst offence.

PlayOn

Jun 22, 2010
Carolina’s had so many chances to put this thing away in the third and they keep missing. Would be a shame if the Rangers tie it up.

Senscore

Let's keep it cold
Nov 19, 2012
Andersen with an additional year on his deal and a NMC.

Gonna be awkward if this is his they go out

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
As someone with First Nations heritage I have never had a problem with the Washington Redskins or Chicago Black hawks. I’m repulsed by the chants at Atlanta Braves and FLA St Seminole games. Yes the Cleland baseball team logo was the worst offence.
Thanks for the input. It's a shame some of these things continue. The Genocide of the FN people in NA is one of the greatest atrocities in human history. Personally, I just think the reality behind what happened (and has carried forward in so many ways) was so deplorable that if FN groups want change to these antiquated slogans/logos/names with a derogatory history, let them have it.

I was mostly looking to dispel the BS the other poster was spewing about how it's all the angry woke folk to blame. Maybe that's what got them to actually listen, but FN groups have advocated for change to a lot of these for ages.

Wow, the Canes blow it. Tough go, it was right there for them.

Reactions: maclean

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad