OT: Around the NHL: Go Cats Go

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
Was texting during game with a buddy I've known for 40 years, lifer Rags fan, he's livid about the refereeing. Keeping my mouth shut out of respect for the friendship, but wow, perspective is just crazy in sports.

Watching the media fawn for the Rangers and the Knicks hasn't been pleasant this Spring. Rempe must be the greatest 6min/game player in history.

Reactions: canadianguy77

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Vancouver, British Columbia
Was texting during game with a buddy I've known for 40 years, lifer Rags fan, he's livid about the refereeing. Keeping my mouth shut out of respect for the friendship, but wow, perspective is just crazy in sports.

Watching the media fawn for the Rangers and the Knicks hasn't been pleasant this Spring. Rempe must be the greatest 6min/game player in history.
I'm not sure Trouba should even be in the league anymore. That many attempts to deal out brain damage. That one recently where he went with the flying elbow into the boards should be like criminal charges imo.
You can f*** someone over for life this way. And he didn't even get a suspension, because Necas did great to dodge it.

Am I being soft? Idk. Feel like brain health should be a priority here, over a few seconds of entertainment for degenerates, who take pleasure in opponents getting concussed.

Reactions: Andy99

CascadiaPenguin

Sponsor
Jul 5, 2017
The Salish Sea
I'm not sure Trouba should even be in the league anymore. That many attempts to deal out brain damage. That one recently where he went with the flying elbow into the boards should be like criminal charges imo.
You can f*** someone over for life this way. And he didn't even get a suspension, because Necas did great to dodge it.

Am I being soft? Idk. Feel like brain health should be a priority here, over a few seconds of entertainment for degenerates, who take pleasure in opponents getting concussed.
Trouba is a slightly more cerebral version of Wilson. That lawn dart into the boards that barely missed would be a suspendible offense in a just world.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
If they get saves and NHL playoff level team defending, yes. If not, no. Doesn't matter what they do. They are just Forwards.
Oh well. The board will never understand this.

Understand what?

People want to put McDavid on a pedestal for his regular season accolades and production. He has the ability to play a defensive game and not need Drai to score. The roster is fine.

Skinner just put up a .910 SV% and now McDavid is geting worked by JT Miller. 1-0 Vancouver in 3 games at 5v5.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
Understand what?

People want to put McDavid on a pedestal for his regular season accolades and production. He has the ability to play a defensive game and not need Drai to score. The roster is fine.

Skinner just put up a .910 SV% and now McDavid is geting worked by JT Miller. 1-0 Vancouver in 3 games at 5v5.
I don't wanna put him on a pedestal. He's just one of the best players I've seen in my life. That's a fact. I speak facts. People here prefer feelings.

Idk what you're on about with Skinner, man. They're losing now, in this series. They weren't losing vs LA.
1715657845893.png

He's been dogshit, straight up. And yes, it is a problem. There's no getting around it.
No player is gonna win a Cup with goaltending like this, especially not against strong opponents like Vancouver.
Edmonton absorbs it better than others, because they're the #2 offense in the playoffs. But that only makes up for so much damage.

As for his play defensively, on January 29th he got a 89 percentile for even-strength defending. Regardless of what people think about JFresh, it's pretty established that McDavid has improved in this area. I don't think people can slam him for that anymore.
That's especially the case this year, under Knoblauch. You'd have a better argument with Draisaitl when it comes to defensive ineptitude.

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
I don't wanna put him on a pedestal. He's just one of the best players I've seen in my life. That's a fact. I speak facts. People here prefer feelings.

Idk what you're on about with Skinner, man. They're losing now, in this series. They weren't losing vs LA.
View attachment 870401
He's been dogshit, straight up. And yes, it is a problem. There's no getting around it.
No player is gonna win a Cup with goaltending like this, especially not against strong opponents like Vancouver.
Edmonton absorbs it better than others, because they're the #2 offense in the playoffs. But that only makes up for so much damage.

As for his play defensively, on January 29th he got a 89 percentile for even-strength defending. Regardless of what people think about JFresh, it's pretty established that McDavid has improved in this area. I don't think people can slam him for that anymore.
That's especially the case this year, under Knoblauch. You'd have a better argument with Draisaitl when it comes to defensive ineptitude.

Neat. Lead a team to a cup. The pieces are there.

Turin

Feb 27, 2018
Idk Edmonton's bottom six with Henrique injured kinda sucks ass. It's made worse by the fact that they're already stacking the top line already though.

DearDiary

🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷🐷
Aug 29, 2010
McDavid is a far better playoff performer than Crosby. Not sure what more you want him to do. Crosby has always been overrated and given excuses for his poor performances. Such as working on his below average defense, which was especially awful whenever he played with Guentzal.

• Haha
Reactions: Gurglesons

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
McDavid is a far better playoff performer than Crosby. Not sure what more you want him to do. Crosby has always been overrated and given excuses for his poor performances. Such as working on his below average defense, which was especially awful whenever he played with Guentzal.

1715664891475.png

So overrated.

Sidney the Kidney

One last time
Jun 29, 2009
Idk Edmonton's bottom six with Henrique injured kinda sucks ass. It's made worse by the fact that they're already stacking the top line already though.
But that's kind of the problem. The reason the Pens' 2009 bottom six didn't suck is because Sid, Geno and Staal all centered their own lines. If the Pens went Sid/Geno/Staal on the top line, then our three other lines would have been pretty poor.

Edmonton's "lack of depth up front" is their own fault because they consistently insist on McDavid and Draisaitl on the same line.

It actually boggles my mind that there are Penguins fans who think Crosby is overrated in the playoffs and talks about his poor performances when you see the company he's in on the all-time lists.

bambamcam4ever

107 and counting
Feb 16, 2012

View attachment 870401

McDavid is the same guy defensively he's always been. Often ignores it and while he can be effective in the NZ due to his skating, he chases the puck way too often. See Boeser's first goal in game 3. Defensive stats vary too much year to year too be reliable, especially to isolate a player's abilities based on it. If I had to guess his defensive numbers look good because they put their 2 best forwards and best defensive pairing with 97.

AuroraBorealis

Back-to-back hater
Oct 16, 2018
McDavid is the same guy defensively he's always been. Often ignores it and while he can be effective in the NZ due to his skating, he chases the puck way too often. See Boeser's first goal in game 3. Defensive stats vary too much year to year too be reliable, especially to isolate a player's abilities based on it. If I had to guess his defensive numbers look good because they put their 2 best forwards and best defensive pairing with 97.
Neither of us watch their games. We don't know from first-hand viewing. We don't really have an opinion. That's why I'm not guessing.
So I'm using the work of people who tracked it.
Besides, he was a +35 this year, playing against top competition. Far and away the highest it's been.

cookthebooks

Oct 4, 2017
can’t believe i didn’t recognize the canes amazing albeit high risk plan to cause max pain to the rangers fandom. 5/7 implemented with surely more to come

Reactions: Andy99 and Ignatius

canadianguy77

Apr 20, 2006
Obviously Crosby's been fine in the playoffs.
But he was Obviously referring to McDavid's 1.64 ppg in the playoffs vs. Crosby's 1.11.
Which is an increase in McDavid's regular season production while Crosby's is a dip in production.
McDavid only has like 4 games past the second round. It usually gets harder.

Reactions: SomeDude

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad