Best Stickhandlers Ever

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
The all-time top russian stickhandlers are the following:

1. Pavel Datsyuk - Guy who could beat the canadian national team top five on a regular basis. Just seemed to have the winning hand even in one on five situations. He is a guy who should have the highest possible EA ratings, with deking - 99, puck control - 99, hand eye - 99 and reaction skills - 99.
2. Sergei Makarov - Almost as good stickhandler as Datsyuk and also had the speed and that his hands and legs worked seamlessly together. Some guy like Kane is very similar, but not quite as good and doesn't have the speed. Had that rhythm in his stickwork. EA ratings: deking - 98, puck control - 98, hand eye - 98 and reaction skills - 98.
3. Alexei Kovalev - Very leathal in one on one, had a great puck control, but wasn't the type of player who would beat the whole opposing five and wasn't a high intensity player. EA ratings: deking - 97, puck control - 98, hand eye - 98 and reaction skills - 98.
4. Pavel Bure - Skating and hands worked very well together and had that special speed. EA ratings: deking - 96, puck control - 98, hand eye - 99 and reaction skills - 99.
5. Valery Kharlamov - He was the godfather in russian hockey of that when your hands and legs work seamlessly together. EA ratings: deking - 97, puck control - 97, hand eye - 97 and reaction skills - 97.

Some other russians:

Sergei Fedorov - EA ratings: deking - 96, puck control - 95, hand eye - 96 and reaction skills - 96.
Alexander Mogilny - EA ratings: deking - 95, puck control - 94, hand eye - 98 and reaction skills - 98.
Maxim Afinogenov - EA ratings: deking - 95, puck control - 95, hand eye - 95 and reaction skills - 95.
Valeri Bure - EA ratings: deking - 95, puck control - 95, hand eye - 95 and reaction skills - 95.
Nikolay Zherdev - EA ratings: deking - 95, puck control - 94, hand eye - 95 and reaction skills - 95.
Ilya Kovalchuk - EA ratings: deking - 93, puck control - 96, hand eye - 97 and reaction skills - 97.
Vladimir Krutov - EA ratings: deking - 93, puck control - 93, hand eye - 97 and reaction skills - 97.
Viktor Kozlov - EA ratings: deking - 93, puck control - 94, hand eye - 94 and reaction skills - 93.
Sergei Samsonov - EA ratings: deking - 93, puck control - 92, hand eye - 94 and reaction skills - 94.
Alexei Zhamnov - EA ratings: deking - 90, puck control - 96, hand eye - 96 and reaction skills - 95.

Haven't fully determined guys like Maltsev and Semin who probably should have very high ratings.

In comparison:

Mario Lemieux - EA ratings: deking - 96, puck control - 99, hand eye - 99 and reaction skills - 99.
Jaromir Jagr - EA ratings: deking - 96, puck control - 96, hand eye - 98 and reaction skills - 96.

Rengorlex

Aug 25, 2021
McDavid, how he's able to accelerate while stickhandling through players is not of this world.

Reactions: Leksand

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
But still... if you set up a bunch of drills designed to "test" everyone's stickhandling in a systematic manner, I have no doubt that Kovalev would be hard to top. Tempering that by observed decision-making in real game situations is fair enough, of course, but in terms of the raw skills/capabilities he's way, way up there.

Stickhandling can be a difficult thing to judge with so many dimensions at work. There's north south speed, or maybe distance traveled per puck touch and relative speed to the surrounding action, stickhandling in traffic and control. And then a whole aesthetic dimension like smoothness and fine motor control.

Guys like W. Nylander, Kane, Kucherov can seamlessly weave any skating stride with tight control with the puck like they have a puck on a string. A guy like Mackinnon can cover great distances with little puck touches. Auston Matthews feels relatively sluggish in his skating up the ice but have a lot of east west movement and fine control to his puckhandling. Guys like Makar and Eichel have the fine control and explosiveness. Draisaitl and Sundin might be puckhandling minimalists. etc.

Pierre Larouche

Jan 4, 2009
Kovalev

Cut Kovalev and Datsyuk, add Bobby Orr.
Orr wasn’t a stickhandler- he was an amazing skater who out skated everyone.

The very point I was making in the post is that Fata was not like the others speed-wise. In a skills competition I don't doubt Fata skates as fast as anyone. In game, it never translated to the same thing. Same with Kovalev, great skill and your classic Harlem Globetrotter for show, but he never could do it regularly within the game, although obviously better than Fata could use his speed within the game.
Kovalev did it regularly in games.

Reactions: authentic

Pierre Larouche

Jan 4, 2009
Patrick Kane is unbelievable. Maybe the best stickhandler I've ever seen in over 55 years of watching. Stan Mikita was a great stickhandler. Didn't have a lot of speed but he could go around a guy based on stickhandling alone. Henri Richard and Lafleur were great too. And of course Gretzky and Lemieux.
I'll go 1. Pavel Datsyuk 2. Steve Yzerman 3. Denis Savard 4. Mario Lemieux 5. Jaromir Jagr. Not to disrespect guys from the past, this is just what came to my mind from highlights in my mind's eye (and a little "favoritism" too. I'll take crap on it but will do my best to defend it) :D
Kovalev, Datsyuk, Bure, Savard, Nilsson, Mario, Jagr, Etc.

Pierre Larouche

Jan 4, 2009

1. Pavel Datsyuk - Guy who could beat the canadian national team top five on a regular basis. Just seemed to have the winning hand even in one on five situations. He is a guy who should have the highest possible EA ratings, with deking - 99, puck control - 99, hand eye - 99 and reaction skills - 99.
2. Sergei Makarov - Almost as good stickhandler as Datsyuk and also had the speed and that his hands and legs worked seamlessly together. Some guy like Kane is very similar, but not quite as good and doesn't have the speed. Had that rhythm in his stickwork. EA ratings: deking - 98, puck control - 98, hand eye - 98 and reaction skills - 98.
3. Alexei Kovalev - Very leathal in one on one, had a great puck control, but wasn't the type of player who would beat the whole opposing five and wasn't a high intensity player. EA ratings: deking - 97, puck control - 98, hand eye - 98 and reaction skills - 98.
4. Pavel Bure - Skating and hands worked very well together and had that special speed. EA ratings: deking - 96, puck control - 98, hand eye - 99 and reaction skills - 99.
5. Valery Kharlamov - He was the godfather in russian hockey of that when your hands and legs work seamlessly together. EA ratings: deking - 97, puck control - 97, hand eye - 97 and reaction skills - 97.

Some other russians:

Sergei Fedorov - EA ratings: deking - 96, puck control - 95, hand eye - 96 and reaction skills - 96.
Alexander Mogilny - EA ratings: deking - 95, puck control - 94, hand eye - 98 and reaction skills - 98.
Maxim Afinogenov - EA ratings: deking - 95, puck control - 95, hand eye - 95 and reaction skills - 95.
Valeri Bure - EA ratings: deking - 95, puck control - 95, hand eye - 95 and reaction skills - 95.
Nikolay Zherdev - EA ratings: deking - 95, puck control - 94, hand eye - 95 and reaction skills - 95.
Ilya Kovalchuk - EA ratings: deking - 93, puck control - 96, hand eye - 97 and reaction skills - 97.
Vladimir Krutov - EA ratings: deking - 93, puck control - 93, hand eye - 97 and reaction skills - 97.
Viktor Kozlov - EA ratings: deking - 93, puck control - 94, hand eye - 94 and reaction skills - 93.
Sergei Samsonov - EA ratings: deking - 93, puck control - 92, hand eye - 94 and reaction skills - 94.
Alexei Zhamnov - EA ratings: deking - 90, puck control - 96, hand eye - 96 and reaction skills - 95.

Haven't fully determined guys like Maltsev and Semin who probably should have very high ratings.

In comparison:

Mario Lemieux - EA ratings: deking - 96, puck control - 99, hand eye - 99 and reaction skills - 99.
Jaromir Jagr - EA ratings: deking - 96, puck control - 96, hand eye - 98 and reaction skills - 96.
Kharlamov was brilliant. Doing toe drags through legs in the Summit Series. Makarov amazing especially in ‘87 Canada Cup.

Some other russians:

In comparison:

Your list is pretty amazing!!! Bravo.

Reactions: Ihmeilja and crobro

Danny46

Dec 28, 2015
I have to say just 6 names no order:

- Alexei Kovalev

- Kent Nilsson

- Pavel Bure

- Pavel Datsyuk

- Sergei Makarov

- Valeri Kharlamov

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
That I've seen;

Beliveau - made great use of the straight stick.
Perreault
Datsuyk
Lemieux

I'm probably missing a bunch. Maybe Kent Nilsson? Gretzky, probably. Some of the old time Russians were nuts.

I don't get people listing Orr. A really good puck handler, for sure, but he basically skated around, and through people. In general, dmen have it easier because they have more space to pick their spots, while forwards have to operate in small spaces.

authentic

Jan 28, 2015

Some other russians:

In comparison:

Really good ratings. Not sure how you determine hand eye really when it comes to stickhandling but for puck control I would have Jagr closer to a 99 than a 96, other than that looks pretty accurate all around

HF007

Sep 9, 2008
No order:

Datsyuk
Mcdavid
Kane
Jagr
Forsberg
Barzal
Mackinnon

Can’t throw anyone before the 90s on here, if those guys tried to stick handle as fast as mcdavid or Kane their hands would combust :biglaugh:

SwedishFire

Mar 3, 2011
Makarov, Datsyuk, P Kane, Lemeiux, Bure, Kovalev, Gretzky, McDavid.

I dont know wich order. Or whos to be cut.

Makarov had it all
Datsyuk could stickhandle while skate supreme.
P Kane is stickhandling by defenition
Kovalev as well.
Lemeiux had uncanny touch and feeling.
Bure and McDavid can do everything also in full speed.
Gretzky could make a fool of anybody, but he could be unmasked as well.
Savard was supreme, but much was skating.

I would
1 Makarov/P Kane
2 Bure/McDavid
3 Kovalev
4 Lemeiux
5 Datsyuk
6 Savard
7 Gretzky

Davenport

Dec 4, 2020
Toronto
The three names which come immediately to mind - in chronological order - are Stan Mikita, Bobby Orr and Gilbert Perreault. Orr has gotten his due on this thread, but not Perreault, and certainly not Mikita. Gilbert's end-to-end rushes have to be seen to be believed. Stan was - in my opinion - the greatest and most talented of the players of the 1960s.* Stickhandling and skating speed (Google "Scooter Line") were his forte.

(* I don't count Orr because he began in 1966-67)

Ihmeilja

Nov 4, 2011
Kharlamov was brilliant. Doing toe drags through legs in the Summit Series. Makarov amazing especially in ‘87 Canada Cup.

Your list is pretty amazing!!! Bravo.
The earliest russian player who impresses me with his stickhandling is the 1933 born Konstantin Loktev. He started his adult league career as a 19 year old and his national team career as a 24 year old. His career came to an end after an apparent injury at the age of 33.
His EA ratings for deking and puck control would be around 90. Vsevolod Bobrov was probably the best before him but in a much lover level.

Vsevolod Bobrov - EA ratings: deking - 84, puck control - 84, hand eye - 75 and reaction skills - 74
Viktor Shuvalov - EA ratings: deking - 73, puck control - 86, hand eye - 86 and reaction skills - 85
Jevgeni Babich - EA ratings: deking - 80, puck control - 83, hand eye - 84 and reaction skills - 84

Konstantin Loktev - EA ratings: deking - 90, puck control - 89, hand eye - 90 and reaction skills - 90

Really good ratings. Not sure how you determine hand eye really when it comes to stickhandling but for puck control I would have Jagr closer to a 99 than a 96, other than that looks pretty accurate all around
Jagr would loose the puck regularly while doing dekes. That didn't happen very often for Lemieux and Datsyuk who are at 99 in puck control. For Jagr in about every game, for Lemieux and for Datsyuk at their peak maybe few times in a season. Kovalev also had a better puck control than Jagr, almost at Lemieux/Datsyuk -level.
But the 96 -rating is almost perfect too and another thing is the balance of the player. Jagr and Lemieux would be the only ones in my list with a 99 balance rating. This means that you can't knock those guys of the puck. Also 98 balance for Kovalev and 96 for Kovalchuk and Zhamnov.

Matty Sundin

Jul 18, 2006
Off top of my head in no order

Jagr
Mcdavid
Datsyuk
Lemieux
Patrick Kane

Kovalev always dominates these types of threads and I don’t know why. I’m not saying he wasn’t skilled or a good stick handler cause yes he was but from what I seen from him he never really wow’d me enough to separate himself from other great sticks handlers.

I’m assuming it’s 90s nostalgia playing for teams with a lot of history cause a lot posters seem to have a crush on this guy.

VMBM

And it didn't even bring me down
Sep 24, 2008
Helsinki, Finland
Since he hasn't been mentioned yet; Vladimir Martinec. Didn't seem to mishandle the puck much, and his soft hands (along with anticipation skills etc) made him also a terrific 'pickpocket' (the examples are numerous even among the limited footage).

authentic

Jan 28, 2015
Off top of my head in no order

Jagr
Mcdavid
Datsyuk
Lemieux
Patrick Kane

Kovalev always dominates these types of threads and I don’t know why. I’m not saying he wasn’t skilled or a good stick handler cause yes he was but from what I seen from him he never really wow’d me enough to separate himself from other great sticks handlers.

I’m assuming it’s 90s nostalgia playing for teams with a lot of history cause a lot posters seem to have a crush on this guy.

Not really though, NHL players themselves including Lemieux say he's the most talented they ever played with. He was pretty objectively a better pure stickhandler than even Jagr and Lemieux from a pure skill standpoint, which means not including the hockey IQ to go with it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad