Blow this team up already!

TheShape

Oct 25, 2018
Will the organization have the balls to say to Mitch, waive the NMC or we sit you all season?
It doesn't have to be that extreme, also doesn't help us as we would have 11m in dead cap space. Worst case Leafs get a Marner who will play his ass off as he's in need of a contract, we view him as a rental and flip him for assets at the deadline if we're out of the playoffs. Or just let him walk and have 11m to play with come 2025.

Leafs have leverage here despite what some people think.

Clark4Ever

What we do in hockey echoes in eternity...
Oct 10, 2010
T.O.
I was looking at the upcoming UFA list for goaltenders and it is very slim pickings. If we hope to find a reliable tandem goaltender to play with Woll, I think we need to go the trade route.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
Mentioned this in another thread, but if there's a new president Tre is here one more year max. Tre was brought in, for better or for worse, to keep consistency with the current organizational strategy.

A new President will want a new GM and new coach. Might keep Tre around for an extra year to buy time (like Shanny did with Nonis) and take care of the minor stuff

Imo the fate of that will be determined by how the series ends.
The new CEO can't fire everyone right before the draft...your assumption is something I agree with. He will probably torch Shanny and Keefe and let Tre hang around for another year as a trial run. The problem with that is the trades he might make will be much more short sighted if he is on the clock. That concerns me.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
MLSE should just cut to the chase and announce that they've fired Shanahan BEFORE the puck drop.

That might give the fans, the players and everyone else the emphatic message they need.

Then sort things out from there.
Shanny should have been fired when he went to the board and informed them he was going to promote Dubass , it doesn't matter what happens now since Dubass left this team crippled by his poor asset mgmt and the number of picks he traded .

Last edited:

Cassell

Apr 28, 2024
Some notable names who are UFA this summer. Any of them look enticing?

Jake DeBrusk, Noah Hanifin, Elias Lindholm, Tyler Toffoli, Brett Pesce, Matt Dumba, Nikita Zadorov, Brady Skjei, Jarred Tinordi, Brandon Montour, Brendan Smith, Tyler Myers, Brendan Dillon and Dylan DeMelo

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
I think this thread is going to age like a fine wine, gentlemen. Hope you guys will be just as vocal when the inevitable occurs in the coming days.

Enough with excuses and the bullshit. Blow this joke of a team into unrecognizable pieces. Start over. This rebuild is a complete failure. It sucks, but it is what it is. Stop clinging to this core and move on.
It’s still dumb, nothings being blown up.
The only meaningful changes that can occur is with management.
I’m guessing only Keefe and the staff are let go.

Reactions: egd27

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007
It doesn't have to be that extreme, also doesn't help us as we would have 11m in dead cap space. Worst case Leafs get a Marner who will play his ass off as he's in need of a contract, we view him as a rental and flip him for assets at the deadline if we're out of the playoffs. Or just let him walk and have 11m to play with come 2025.

Leafs have leverage here despite what some people think.
The word is out on Marner. He'll be lucky to get $6 million AAV on his next deal (out of Toronto) if he doesn't develop a little bit of introspection and swallow some humble pie.

kevsh

Nov 28, 2018
If MLSE was really serious about post-season success, why was literally everybody coming back for this season (remember, Shanny offered Dubas a deal that went south last-minute, but the plan was to extend his contract).

Then, they okay'ed the Keefe extension and later the Nylander deal, the latter of which by any measure indicates they are completely comfortable allocating every penny they can to the core four despite zero playoff success.

Pelley coming in seems to indicate the possibility a big shake-up is in order (based on what exactly I'm not sure), and it may be, but is there any indication MLSE has changed its position that everyone is doing a great job, that they are fine with this core and that accountability is something for teams that are not swimming in profits from a passionate fanbase that won't quit this team no matter how much they lose?

tldr; I'm not anywhere close to convinced big changes are coming this Summer. Maybe Keefe is the sacrificial lamb solely to give the appearance that MLSE is serious about winning?

Clyde Brewer

Oct 15, 2021

Jake DeBrusk, Noah Hanifin, Elias Lindholm, Tyler Toffoli, Brett Pesce, Matt Dumba, Nikita Zadorov, Brady Skjei, Jarred Tinordi, Brandon Montour, Brendan Smith, Tyler Myers, Brendan Dillon and Dylan DeMelo
I'm thinking about the possible UFA's for the 2025-2026 season. That's when Marner and Tavares contracts are finished.
Depending on who's available, I'd consider letting Marner walk away for nothing. We might be able to sign a really nice UFA or 3 with $22 million.

Last edited:

1specter

Sep 27, 2016

Maybe sign DeBrusk so he'll stop scoring on us in playoffs

4a5001b7beea096457f480c8808572428b-09-roll-safe.2x.h473.w710.jpg

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Folignos Helmet

Sep 4, 2020
Goalies and defense have been winning cups since the league began. Leafs have been trying to win with offense for 8 years which doesn’t work especially when it doesn’t show up.

It does sell tickets in the regular season though.

If Pelley wanted to ingratiate himself to the fans he would demonstrate meaningful change by dumping Shanny and everyone below. If leafs lose in 5 you would have 2 months to get that structure in place before the draft and free agency.

The player change will still likely take two years though given contracts so next year will be a lot of more of the same. About all they could do is spend every spare cent on the backend and goal.

LEAFANFORLIFE23

Jun 17, 2010
Shanny won't be fired. Think of the Leafs before Shanahan. Under his leadership, they are consistently one of the better teams in the league, albeit without playoff success. Also I cant see them getting rid of Shanny without giving Treliving more time to see if that was a good decision.

IF the Leafs lose to Boston, and I still think they have a shot, Keefe will be fired, Samsonov will be gone and Tre will add to the team. Damien Cox and the other Toronto media are already setting the narrative if you're paying attention.

Injuries and sickness and bad refs. Not the players fault, just bad luck. But if someone's head has to roll, it's Keefe and Samsonov and bring the big boys back. Oh, and be nicer about what you say about Mitch, because you're hurting his feelings and you need to make him feel loved.

That's true they are better than when he first got here but he's been here 10 years with 1 series win you can easily justify firing him.

I don't think that happens because you are right, they do make the playoffs every year so he will keep his job at least until next year when his contract is up.

Until then I don't see any core changes because the SECOND Dubas even thought about it he got fired.

But I do believe blood gets spilled and it starts with Keefe

hullsy47

Dec 7, 2005
The new CEO can't fire everyone right before the draft...your assumption is something I agree with. He will probably torch Shanny and Keefe and let Tre hang around for another year as a trial run. The problem with that is the trades he might make will be much more short sighted if he is on the clock. That concerns me.
Pelley is likely talking to top sports people around the globe .
Due dillegence will be required,pick the brains of experts
Knee jerk reactions ,sometimes don't help
But i do believe he will be well informed by may 15 at the latest

Dale Gribble

Feb 9, 2019
As much as I want to see him gone, I can see the Board giving Shanahan one more shot, especially with it being Treliving's first kick at the can.

Keefe and at least two members of the core along with Shanahan should be shown the door, but I have little faith at this point. Maybe Keefe gone and some more minor "tweaking".

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

TMLBlueandWhite

Feb 2, 2023
They've lost the last six games on home ice in the playoffs and have a 5-14 postseason record at SBA under Keefe.

It's clear a major change in direction needs to take place. People were booing last game. They ARE angry.

They're f***ING angry.

Every year they get knocked out early. The team's response has been to run it back every time. At what point does the annual embarrassment on home ice become too much.

WSH, BOS, BOS, CLB, MTL, TBL, FLA, BOS

From the best to the worst to the best again. It doesn't matter who they face. The Leafs lose to them all.

At this point they could face the Coyotes and I would STILL expect them to blow it somehow.

Everybody is looking for someone to blame. The whole team is at fault. Maybe they should stop making excuses.

Just tell the whole world they lost and hang their heads in shame.

TMLife17

Is this approved?
Oct 14, 2021
This is the only thread that feels appropriate.

There are so many problems that only a nuke can solve them.

Shanny, Keefe (and the whole coaching staff), and at least 1 (Tavares LTIR???) of the fraud four need to go before this team has a shot at anything. That's the bare minimum too.

I haven't missed a single game in 19 years. I have quit jobs and missed out on opportunities to watch this team in their darkest days. But if Shanny and the entire fraud four are back next season I am not watching a single game.

Reactions: Whacky5 and theTTC

janesy12

Leafs Nation
Aug 27, 2010
Newfoundland
Changes are coming, but it won't be the core players.

Matthews isn't moving. That's crazy.
Tavares makes $11m with 1 year remaining.
Nylander JUST signed an 8 year deal with an $11.5m cap hit.
Marner makes nearly $11m with 1 year remaining...and also includes a FULL NO MOVE CLAUSE.
He decides what happens. Unless somehow they work out a deal to a VERY favourable contender, ol Mitchy boy is staying, and then demanding to be paid like MacKinnon.

This team will be ran back with a new President, and Coaching Staff. A couple new defensemen, a goaltender to tandem with Woll, and some plug-in forwards.
That's all the cap space they have. There isn't much that can be done capwise.

They have $20m in cap space to

Take care of RFA's: Robertson, Lily, maybe Dewar,
Sign or replace Bertuzzi/Domi or two top 6 wingers.
Sign a 1a/b goaltender.
Sign a top pair RHD to replace Brodie

Last edited:

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Dmen who are below average defensively and can’t run a PP aren’t even top pairing material forget #1 dmen. Check any cup contender and he doesn’t play on their top pair because he can’t defend well enough and lacks a physical edge.

Yeah unfortunately Rielly is really a #3 right now one a good team. He eats minutes on the Leafs because they have no other options.

He was never great defensively but he was ok when he was younger because he could skate well enough to make up for some of his mistakes. Now that he has lost half a step he's brutal. Very low hockey IQ player and complete muffin shot so he's useless on the PP.

He's still decent at rushing the puck up ice but that is about it. Luckily he's only signed until 2030.. lol.

Playoffsareoverrated

Jan 23, 2021
Espoo, Finalnd
They've lost the last six games on home ice in the playoffs and have a 5-14 postseason record at SBA under Keefe.

It's clear a major change in direction needs to take place. People were booing last game. They ARE angry.

They're f***ING angry.

Every year they get knocked out early. The team's response has been to run it back every time. At what point does the annual embarrassment on home ice become too much.

WSH, BOS, BOS, CLB, MTL, TBL, FLA, BOS

From the best to the worst to the best again. It doesn't matter who they face. The Leafs lose to them all.

At this point they could face the Coyotes and I would STILL expect them to blow it somehow.

Everybody is looking for someone to blame. The whole team is at fault. Maybe they should stop making excuses.

Just tell the whole world they lost and hang their heads in shame.
There is no way the Leafs would lose to the Coyotes. Matthews always scores 2-3 goals when we play teams like the Coyotes.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad