Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

Ports

Dec 7, 2017
In hockey especially, a GM must NEVER put a player above the team. I mean that, NEVER.

I forget if it was Marner or Nylander but I recall saying I would almost always take 4-5 First Rounders for a player and welcomed another team to put in an offer sheet. The trade value alone to recoup such players would be quite impressive. First Round draft picks are exceptional currency to get players on the cheap, have teams absorb cap space etc.

Now, you can bend for some players, perhaps even bend more than you should, but, you must never break to the point that inking a player puts the team in a worse position by severely restricting their options.

As for the No Move contracts, they should only be allowed with UFAs. No RFA should have a no-trade clause. Also, the league should look at forcing players to choose at min. a "6-7 team trade list". That should be the modified definition of No-Trade. Or, at least demand that a NTC can only be protected at the front end of a contract, not the back end.

Sports is very big business. Players are well compensated and rightfully so. However, it is a team sport so the league must demand that a franchise owner can always put his team first when it comes to restrictions.

Brad should not be shy about talking to Bert and Domi about becoming a core part of the team going forward. No need to reinvent the entire wheel if you have players who can fit in, especially with a new, most likely experienced NHL coach coming in.
When an RFA signs a contract with a NTC or NMC it doesn’t kick in until they’re UFA year which is usually after their 7th year in the league which is how Marner could have been traded before July 1st last year even though there was a full NMC in his contract.

Leafsfan74

Jul 2, 2018
When an RFA signs a contract with a NTC or NMC it doesn’t kick in until they’re UFA year which is usually after their 7th year in the league which is how Marner could have been traded before July 1st last year even though there was a full NMC in his contract.
Ah ok. Thanks for that explsnation.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
wait,what? removing marner and tavares and using their 22+m elsewhere or on different types of players means its a complete rebuild so may as well just get rid of Willy? I dont get how you came to that conclusion?
If there is a window, it’s very small , and if they make a bad trade with Marner they’re toast.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
The dye was cast. What’s Treliving supposed to do ? Tell Matthews to take a pay cut ? The only way out is to break up ShanaDubas’ failing core.
He has no choice but to free up 2 of the 11+ contracts.
Tavares will expire and then find the best deal for one of the other three.

Voodoo Child

Jun 16, 2009
He has no choice but to free up 2 of the 11+ contracts.
Tavares will expire and then find the best deal for one of the other three.

Glass half full it’s a retool.

Willy and Matthews stay and they can, Mo as well.

Mitch has to go but money comes back but not a ton maybe to free up 4.5-6 in cap, a few other guys like Brodie and Bertuzzi go there’s 10 but it’s a really about goal. Can Woll start 50 games without getting hurt?

JT for like 7/3 is fine but he’s not getting more from me.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Yes, and Dubas - and you apparently - should be very concerned with that, because not paying attention to that is how you create imbalance in the team.
You can still have balance with that setup, just like we did under Dubas.
Because positions are all the same or you don’t need good goaltending or defense to win a cup ?
Positions are not the same. Defense and goaltending are important. But throwing huge money at nonexistent elite players in those positions is not the only way to be good at those positions.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Dubas got fleeced by the Marner camp because he was paranoid about offer sheets. The story I was told was that CBJ would only do an offer sheet that was BELOW the 4 1st rd picks which would have been below 10.5M and they wanted him for the max 7 years.
Your story isn't quite accurate. Marner was confirmed to have received 2 offer sheets. The rumour about the Columbus one was that it was 13m x 7. Marner didn't sign either, because he wanted to be a Leaf. A team could have forced a worse 5 year contract on us at less than the four 1st threshold, and once we started getting in-season, teams could have really started screwing with us. People around here may not, but GMs around the league understand the value of one of the best young players in the entire cap era, and in the end, he got a fair, historically consistent contract.

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Goaltending? How about scoring more than two goals a game ? Cup winners don’t average 1.7 goals scored per game over 14 games.
You are kidding, right.
This team can score, but no guts in playoffs. Terrible game planning by coaching staff. . Replace Mitchy with a top dman, a little more grit and goaltending, equals Cup

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
Glass half full it’s a retool.

Willy and Matthews stay and they can, Mo as well.

Mitch has to go but money comes back but not a ton maybe to free up 4.5-6 in cap, a few other guys like Brodie and Bertuzzi go there’s 10 but it’s a really about goal. Can Woll start 50 games without getting hurt?

JT for like 7/3 is fine but he’s not getting more from me.
They never completed a proper rebuild and threw the three ‘stars’ out there to learn on their own.
Let’s see what they can do with the cap space, but it’s hard to build a team using FAs

Thornbury

Dec 29, 2019
Your story isn't quite accurate. Marner was confirmed to have received 2 offer sheets. The rumour about the Columbus one was that it was 13m x 7. Marner didn't sign either, because he wanted to be a Leaf. A team could have forced a worse 5 year contract on us at less than the four 1st threshold, and once we started getting in-season, teams could have really started screwing with us. People around here may not, but GMs around the league understand the value of one of the best young players in the entire cap era, and in the end, he got a fair, historically consistent contract.
Historically consistent? Doesn't he make more than Kucherov and Tzachuk?

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
Historically consistent?
Yes. The 10th highest value post-ELC forward contract in the cap era, term considered (9th biggest post-ELC cap hit percentage without considering term), with the 6th best pre-signing period. Less than everybody who earned more than him (and some who didn't), and in line with how post-ELC contracts have historically been handled.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
I know somebody who would know the details much better than just rumors on the internet. Trust me...he was not offered 7x$13M. It was an offer below the threshold of 4 1st rd picks and it was for 7yrs which was never even presented to him because Ferris wanted 4 or 5yrs. He was always going to sign here...he just squeezed MLSE for as much as he could and it worked. There were no other teams involved...that is just the noise that Ferris put out there to scare Dubas...and it worked.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
If there is a window, it’s very small , and if they make a bad trade with Marner they’re toast.

Not at all.

Bruins don't have marner, heck, they have less talent than the Leafs and yet they ruffle marner's hair each time they meet.

Leafs could lose a marner trade, but make the team better. Maybe they aren't the one of the highest scoring teams.

A reallocation of marner money is the goal, perhaps Tavares money would be better and a new coach that insulates marner, so he gets less attention.

I'm not sold on marner nor Tavares being moved.
Would not be surprised with "new coach will be given the opportunity" to better utilize the talent.

ToneDog

56 years and counting. #FireTheShanaClan!
Jun 11, 2017
Richmond Hill, ON
I know somebody who would know the details much better than just rumors on the internet. Trust me...he was not offered 7x$13M. It was an offer below the threshold of 4 1st rd picks and it was for 7yrs which was never even presented to him because Ferris wanted 4 or 5yrs. He was always going to sign here...he just squeezed MLSE for as much as he could and it worked. There were no other teams involved...that is just the noise that Ferris put out there to scare Dubas...and it worked.
He's been pushing this OS to CBJ for years. This is the first time he has mentioned 7x$13m. He wants us to believe Mitch took $2m less to be a Leaf and from the Jackets. LOL. Sure.

Reactions: freshwind

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
He's been pushing this OS to CBJ for years. This is the first time he has mentioned 7x$13m. He wants us to believe Mitch took $2m less to be a Leaf and from the Jackets. LOL. Sure.

The speculation, to appear more reasonable, would be below the 4 * 1st. round picks.

I doubt anyone was giving 4 first rounders for him.

Leafs would have matched anyway as he got compensated with > 4 first rounder compensation.

Reactions: ToneDog

Tak7

Nov 1, 2009
GTA or the UK
Not at all.

Bruins don't have marner, heck, they have less talent than the Leafs and yet they ruffle marner's hair each time they meet.

Leafs could lose a marner trade, but make the team better. Maybe they aren't the one of the highest scoring teams.
I'm having a very hard time visualizing this - it's entirely dependent on spending the Marner money properly elsewhere, and I just don't think we have the right people running the team to make those smart decisions.

SnizzNasty88

Mar 31, 2013
Toronto
It’s so hilarious to watch Dekes For Days try and defend lifetime loser Kyle Dumbass to the absolute grave. News for you buddy, Kyle Dumbass is the worst GM in NHL history and severely damaged this team with his incompetence, pathetic philosophy and lack of balls. Letting Sweet Lou go was the worst team this thing could have done with the most promising rebuild ever. Now Tre has to clean up the unmitigated disaster that Kyle Dumbass left behind. Dekes For Days, don’t even get me started on the countless mistakes lifetime loser and pathetic excuse of a GM Kyle Dumbass made to severely cripple this team. If I have to though, I will.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
He was confirmed to have received 2 offer sheets. Marner confirmed that himself. Nobody knows the exact details and all we have are rumours, but I secretly know people trust me bro isn't really a valid argument. And 13m x 7 makes a lot of sense. Teams have been willing to offer sheet in that range before for that caliber of player (heck, even VANEK got a four 1sts offer sheet), and the team would want to lock in for long-term if spending significant assets. The team would also have to overpay to steal them through offer sheet, especially from a team like Toronto, and 13m is right around that pressure point where it would have really hurt and meant consequential decisions to match.

But the point is, it didn't have to be 13m to be worse. Even 10.5 x 5 would have been below the threshold and worse. And as we got further and further into the season, lesser offer sheets could screw us more and more. I think Marner really wanted to be a Leaf and would have chosen Toronto unless the offer blew him away and Toronto wasn't playing ball, but it's silly to pretend that offer sheets didn't provide a serious threat, especially if it went further than it already went (into training camp).

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
I'm having a very hard time visualizing this - it's entirely dependent on spending the Marner money properly elsewhere, and I just don't think we have the right people running the team to make those smart decisions.

Well, we don't know who the coach is.

We do know the GM likes tall defenders, defenders who can skate.

This is a stretch, but marner money (next ask) could likely be enough to get Lindholm and Zadorov. Using as example only. Neither one is a star, but both bring needed abilities. And both have the current GM's blessing.

I don't think that would make the team worse.

SprDaVE

Sep 20, 2008
Well, we don't know who the coach is.

We do know the GM likes tall defenders, defenders who can skate.

This is a stretch, but marner money (next ask) could likely be enough to get Lindholm and Zadorov. Using as example only. Neither one is a star, but both bring needed abilities. And both have the current GM's blessing.

I don't think that would make the team worse.

As much as he likes tall defenders, he's had some pretty short/average sized defenders through his stretch with Arizona and recently the Flames. They could skate though for sure.

Dekes For Days

Sep 24, 2018
This is a stretch, but marner money (next ask) could likely be enough to get Lindholm and Zadorov. Using as example only. Neither one is a star, but both bring needed abilities. And both have the current GM's blessing. I don't think that would make the team worse.
Zadorov is pretty much guaranteed to be overpaid. Lindholm I haven't heard much about asks, but if the trade off is Marner for Lindholm/Zadorov, we are almost certainly worse.

usernamezrhardtodo

Mar 26, 2014
He was confirmed to have received 2 offer sheets. Marner confirmed that himself. Nobody knows the exact details and all we have are rumours, but I secretly know people trust me bro isn't really a valid argument. And 13m x 7 makes a lot of sense. Teams have been willing to offer sheet in that range before for that caliber of player (heck, even VANEK got a four 1sts offer sheet), and the team would want to lock in for long-term if spending significant assets. The team would also have to overpay to steal them through offer sheet, especially from a team like Toronto, and 13m is right around that pressure point where it would have really hurt and meant consequential decisions to match.

But the point is, it didn't have to be 13m to be worse. Even 10.5 x 5 would have been below the threshold and worse. And as we got further and further into the season, lesser offer sheets could screw us more and more. I think Marner really wanted to be a Leaf and would have chosen Toronto unless the offer blew him away and Toronto wasn't playing ball, but it's silly to pretend that offer sheets didn't provide a serious threat, especially if it went further than it already went (into training camp).
So you're saying a 10.5M x 5yrs would be bad when we signed him for almost $11M x 6yrs? Seriously?....We are allowed to match the offers you know. You're saying all these numbers that are literally nowhere to be found. I know someone who knows the MM camp very, very well and when I say it was less than 10.5M for 7yrs (which was also similarly reported in the media) I am not blowing smoke, yet you come up with fantastical numbers that don't make sense. Why would a team pay him more than McDavid got with one less year after McDavid signed his 8yr deal?

There is smoke being blown....but it's not me blowing it.

ULF_55

Feb 27, 2002
Mountain Standard Ti
Visit site
Zadorov is pretty much guaranteed to be overpaid. Lindholm I haven't heard much about asks, but if the trade off is Marner for Lindholm/Zadorov, we are almost certainly worse.

Where? Regular season Matthews going to stop scoring?

marner is a regular season all-star, but there's only 1 regular season trophy based on points/standings, and it isn't the Stanley Cup.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad