Brad Treliving is doing a great job.

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
We spent ~15 million on Bertuzzi, Samsanov, Reaves, Kampf, and Klingberg.

They spent cap last year, just poorly.

He has a tough job, but he hasn't found value outside of Domi last year, he had a lot of misses.

However badly you think the team is assembled because of a past GM, the current GM is still not finding any value, and we need that.

There is another 20 million to spend this year, hopefully, it will be spent better.
Neither GM has been great and I would only sign Domi at the same AAV. TBF to Treliving it will take awhile to fix the mess but my instinct tells me he’ll overpay a bunch of old UFAs when they need to get faster and younger.

Trapper

Nov 21, 2013
You can't find value unless you have plenty of sweetners, Dubas tried, he really did. The team last year was primed, but the big guns didn't show up when it mattered.

You have five guys making such a big chunk of cash, they need to move a minimum of two of them. I'd be looking at keeping only Matthews and Nylander at this point. The team doesn't just need different player types, they need a different kind of swagger. For all that Reaves is viewed, he brings that swagger for peanuts and I thought there were stretches in the playoffs when their 4th line was the best line for the Leafs. That is impressive.
You know as soon as your worth approaches the next salary bracket you’re probably out. They can’t afford you so why kill yourself or get hurt when you need to negotiate a long term deal somewhere else. Unity.

myleafs

May 25, 2021
Foligno was the right guy at that time, too bad he got injured. They were up 3-1 in that series don't forget and they were running on all cylinders until those multiple OT losses.
meh, its always something. Its like we are the only team to ever have to deal with adversity in the playoffs. The could haves should haves and only ifs have gotten really stale at this point.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Mess

Global Moderator
Feb 27, 2002
Leafs Home Board
I considered last season a write-off and they still need 3 D , 1 G, 2/3 top 6 F….tough job.

& with even less available cap space because of the raises of Auston and Willy ..

1715713266331.png

Leafs will have 4 of the top 12 highest Cap players in the NHL all on 1 team next year. Those 4 players combined $36,653,000 of a projected $87,700,000 cap max leaving $51,047,000 for rest of team.

Treliving now with the winds of change in the air and on the desire for success needs to find a way around NMC by Tavares and Marner to avoid Cap Hell like we have never seen before.

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
There’s always Robidas and this organization doesn’t care about pissing money away.

JT still likely has at least 3-4 years playing, I don't think he's going to agree to sit off for a year. And the league isn't going to let that slide without at least him having a legit major surgery - which he clearly doesn't need given he's playing at the worlds

Either he agrees to a trade or more likely plays out his final year.

3blizzard4

Mar 29, 2021
Toronto
JT still likely has at least 3-4 years playing, I don't think he's going to agree to sit off for a year. And the league isn't going to let that slide without at least him having a legit major surgery - which he clearly doesn't need given he's playing at the worlds

Either he agrees to a trade or more likely plays out his final year.

He will be here. He isnt going anywhere.

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
& with even less available cap space because of the raises of Auston and Willy ..

View attachment 870668

Leafs will have 4 of the top 12 highest Cap players in the NHL all on 1 team next year. Those 4 players combined $36,653,000 of a projected $87,700,000 cap max leaving $51,047,000 for rest of team.

Treliving now with the winds of change in the air and on the desire for success needs to find a way around NMC by Tavares and Marner to avoid Cap Hell like we have never seen before.

They have 20 million again...

A lot of words to be wrong again...

• Haha
Reactions: aingefan

Niagara Bill

Oct 11, 2021
Maybe in the regular season but who cares about that. Mitchy for a puck moving dman who can also play defensively in his own end (unlike Rielly who can leave too) plus more grit makes me happy.

How do you throw huge money at a player who is non existent ? This is way too theoretical for me.
You add to Reilly not remove him

thewave

Jun 17, 2011

View attachment 870668

Leafs will have 4 of the top 12 highest Cap players in the NHL all on 1 team next year. Those 4 players combined $46,653,000 of a projected $87,700,000 cap max leaving $51,047,000 for rest of team.

Its actually 46m not 36m. Wish it were 36.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dreakmur

Mar 25, 2008
Orillia, Ontario
I'm well aware that you claim that regular season and playoff hockey are way more different than they are in order to dismiss relevant information. The issue here is the inconsistency. When it was a team that lost in the playoffs after an incredibly successful season, you claimed the rest of the season was irrelevant, and we should only look at playoff outcomes - no context necessary. When it was a team that was incredibly successful in the playoffs after struggling through the season, you claimed that the playoff outcomes were irrelevant, and we should only look at the regular season. When faced with this contradiction, you said that "results in both tell you the quality". So I asked how you weight each one, and you refuse to answer. Instead, you seem to have reverted back to suggesting that everything that happens in the regular season is completely irrelevant and worthless and tells you absolutely nothing about a team. I asked you what sample size we need for the playoffs, since you stripped contender status for 1 series while refusing to assign it for 4, and you refuse to answer that too. You say sample size is important, and yet you seem perfectly fine ignoring it.

Do you understand regular season hockey is different than playoff hockey?
He absolutely did. Whether you agree with the moves themselves or not, he addressed areas of need, filled roles, and pivoted quickly when necessary. If anybody is showing red flags in this regard, it's Treliving. He didn't really address anything that needed addressing, and seemed to forget entire roles and attributes existed.

Again, we're back to Dubas being perfect and we only lost again and again.... and again.... and again.... because of bad luck.

Too focused on 'snot', which accomplished nothing.

O'Reilly, Acciari, Schenn, Lafferty..... Adding snot is so dumb....

No, you just weren't listening. You called any context (and many of the factors you are now pointing to) irrelevant until the GM switched to Treliving.

You just did the thing in the blurb above...

No, we've established that Treliving chose to re-sign Samsonov, and then chose to go into the playoffs with no goalie changes. With hindsight, we know that there were other goalies that did better this year. So the question is, is it okay to use hindsight against a GM when the choice made at the time was reasonable? Should we consider the situation and realistic options or just demand results?

When most people predicted Dubas' failures, hindsight doesn't help.

Treliving walked into a goalie coming off a good season - that Treliving had the choice and cap space to re-sign - and a backup signed to a great contract. If you think that's a bad situation, then the answer to your question is that we didn't draft one of a few goalies a decade ago.

So are we using hindsight or not?

The roster wasn't in shambles, and we didn't go all in with UFA rentals last year.

The roster was a mess.... because we went all in with a pile of UFA rentals.

Our net asset loss for pending UFAs was Sandin/2nd/3rd/4th.

That's a lot.... especially when you add in the other 1st and 2nd we spent on a #4/5 defenseman and a 4th line winger.

Treliving chose to not re-sign them

We didn't have the cap space to sign them and fill out the roster.

we had a number of internal graduates

Which internal guys were added to last year's play-off roster?

Nick Robertson, who scored 0 points in 6 play-off games this year.
Pontus Holmberg, who scored 0 points in 7 play-off games this year.
Bobby McMann, who was injured and played 0 play-off games.

and plenty of cap space to replace players and address what needed addressing.

16.5 million in cap space isn't much when you need to sign so many significant positions.

We lucked into having Murray's contract off the books all year.

While we had traded some picks over the years like any team in our position, we still had plenty of assets, and we had drafted well and held onto the prospects.

Yeah, we're swimming in assets.....

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017

View attachment 870668

46,653,000 or 53% of the cap.

Reactions: 57 Years No Cup

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
With how many roster spots to fill?

Depends on how highly you think of some of the prospects, for example, the way Cade Webber was talked about by most, he should be guaranteed a spot.

But I will only use players that played last year.

There are 5 spots to fill.

Liljegren, Robertson, Dewar, and Gregor are all RFAs and should be cheap as well.

And then maybe you have some prospects who are ready to make the jump.

Realistically, I think they could probably take a run at 2 of Montour/Demelo/Pesce, and then re-sign Domi, get a 1B as a goalie and it will all fit.

Will those players sign here? Most likely not, but I think they have the space for what that would require.

Reactions: aingefan

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Depends on how highly you think of some of the prospects, for example, the way Cade Webber was talked about by most, he should be guaranteed a spot.

But I will only use players that played last year.

There are 5 spots to fill.

Liljegren, Robertson, Dewar, and Gregor are all RFAs and should be cheap as well.

And then maybe you have some prospects who are ready to make the jump.

Realistically, I think they could probably take a run at 2 of Montour/Demelo/Pesce, and then re-sign Domi, get a 1B as a goalie and it will all fit.

Will those players sign here? Most likely not, but I think they have the space for what that would require.
how do you figure we only have 5 spots to sign using the 20m in cap space we have this off season ?

if we go with 10f 7d 2g we'll need to use the 20m on

- 3 or 4 forwards depending on whether they want Holmberg on the Leafs

- 3 or 4 D depending on whether they want Timmins as the 7tg D which i doubt

- 1 goalies

so at min we'll need to fit 7 players into the 20m

Last edited:
Reactions: notDatsyuk

weems

Jul 3, 2008
Do you understand regular season hockey is different than playoff hockey?

Again, we're back to Dubas being perfect and we only lost again and again.... and again.... and again.... because of bad luck.

O'Reilly, Acciari, Schenn, Lafferty..... Adding snot is so dumb....

You just did the thing in the blurb above...

When most people predicted Dubas' failures, hindsight doesn't help.

So are we using hindsight or not?

The roster was a mess.... because we went all in with a pile of UFA rentals.

That's a lot.... especially when you add in the other 1st and 2nd we spent on a #4/5 defenseman and a 4th line winger.

We didn't have the cap space to sign them and fill out the roster.

Which internal guys were added to last year's play-off roster?

Nick Robertson, who scored 0 points in 6 play-off games this year.
Pontus Holmberg, who scored 0 points in 7 play-off games this year.
Bobby McMann, who was injured and played 0 play-off games.

16.5 million in cap space isn't much when you need to sign so many significant positions.

We lucked into having Murray's contract off the books all year.

Yeah, we're swimming in assets.....

McCabe was surprised at how much of a jump there was from regular season to playoffs.

Screenshot (1427).png

57 Years No Cup

New and Improved Username!
Nov 12, 2007

View attachment 870668

Might wanna check your math.

Apex Predator

Jun 21, 2019
He's really perfected the art of posting the most smooth brained shit ever that keeps roping people into responding.
Kudos to them for keeping this going. Typical trolls give up after this long but this is true desiccation!

McCabe was surprised at how much of a jump there was from regular season to playoffs.

View attachment 870885
But dekes and nobias said there isn’t a difference. We’re just one lucky bounce away from the cup.

Reactions: DarkKnight

notbias

Feb 16, 2017
how do you figure we only have 5 spots to sign using the 20m in cap space we have this off season ?

if we go with 10f 7d 2g we'll need to use the 20m on

- 3 or 4 forwards depending on whether they want Holmberg on the Leafs

- 3 or 4 D depending on whether they want Timmins as the 7tg D which i doubt

- 2 goalies

so at min we'll need to fit 8 players into the 20m

Sure, if you start removing players from the lineup there are more spots to fill.

I'm just going by who played games last year and can fill in a spot.

seanlinden

Apr 28, 2009
Neither GM has been great and I would only sign Domi at the same AAV. TBF to Treliving it will take awhile to fix the mess but my instinct tells me he’ll overpay a bunch of old UFAs when they need to get faster and younger.

To be fair to Treliving, the only "big" moves he's made are signing Matthews & Nylander... the latter of which is a somewhat inexplicable contract given that his buddy Pasta makes $11.25m; JT Miller makes $8m, Sebastian Aho makes $9.75m, Kaprizov makes $9m, Kucherov makes $9m, Tkachuk makes $9.5m.

hotpaws

Nov 21, 2009
Sure, if you start removing players from the lineup there are more spots to fill.

I'm just going by who played games last year and can fill in a spot.
without removing anyone we have 1g 4d 10f for 15 players , that's including Holmberg and Timmins , so we need 7 players to get to a 22 man roster not 5 like you keep saying

and your intent wasn't just to go with who played but to try to pretend like with have an exorbitant amount of cap space to sign whoever we like so you can go back and shit on Tre when he doesn't acquire 4/5 all stars to fill out our roster

but feel free to crap on the entire Leaf mgmt for as long as you like because that won't bring that worthless piece of crap ex GM who's already burying the Pens with his putrid moves

Last edited:

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
He has no choice but to free up 2 of the 11+ contracts.
Tavares will expire and then find the best deal for one of the other three.
The best two have been re-signed, so it's pretty obvious who's the odd man out (along with JT).

notDatsyuk

Jul 20, 2018
Not getting any assets, other than cap space, in return for Marner would be horrific.
Certainly not optimum, but considering his play, overpayment, and NMC, it's possible that 'nothing but cap space' is the best we can do, and still better than re-signing him if he wants too much.

I hope we can get more, but I can see the possibility of not.

Reactions: usernamezrhardtodo

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad