Buffalo Bills Buffalo Bills 2021 offseason part 2: Draft Thurs 4/29 8pm Eastern

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I have to agree with @TalkingProuder here. I like the mindset of going all-in while Allen is on the cheap, and worrying about the cap later. The NFL cap is much easier to maneuver around compared to the NHL cap. Hell, Beane was able to get us out of the Dareus contract. You'd have to pay a 1st round + in the NHL to clear a contract like that. That had to be one of the worst contracts in the league at that time.

SundherDome

Y'all have to much power
Jul 6, 2009
Minneapolis,MN
I have to agree with @TalkingProuder here. I like the mindset of going all-in while Allen is on the cheap, and worrying about the cap later. The NFL cap is much easier to maneuver around compared to the NHL cap. Hell, Beane was able to get us out of the Dareus contract. You'd have to pay a 1st round + in the NHL to clear a contract like that. That had to be one of the worst contracts in the league at that time.
You go all in but you don't want 40 million in dead cap during his first year after getting paid. I think Beane is doing a magnificent job. I'd still like him to have his ear to the ground on trades. This draft is a big one for him (aren't they all lol) as he now needs to start identifying players who will replace more expensive guys (Addison, Morse, Star).

Fezzy126

Rebuilding...
May 10, 2017

Live look-in on @Husko

shaq-wiggle-shimmy-shake-excited-gif-12957471.gif

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

In a signing statement, GM Brandon Beane said "we got so sick of HF Poster Husko saying we should do this we decided to just do it to show him this guy is worthless."

Seriously though, absolutely stoked. Breida is EXACTLY what I have felt our RB group has been missing for years. Elite speed. Good receiver. Perfect compliment to Singletary and Moss.

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
In a signing statement, GM Brandon Beane said "we got so sick of HF Poster Husko saying we should do this we decided to just do it to show him this guy is worthless."

Seriously though, absolutely stoked. Breida is EXACTLY what I have felt our RB group has been missing for years. Elite speed. Good receiver. Perfect compliment to Singletary and Moss.

Hopefully he manages to stay healthy.

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Bills don’t have many spots left for rookies to make the team. A trade up for an edge rusher would not surprise me.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Bills don’t have many spots left for rookies to make the team. A trade up for an edge rusher would not surprise me.
Trade up period wouldn't surprise me at all. By my count we're now under 10 spots "up for grabs" between rookies, ST types, and other roster bubble players currently on the roster.

Edge rusher yes, perhaps. Or CB, TE, DT, or OL. The problem wish edge is it's not a great year for the position at all. I personally don't have anyone I love enough to warrant it. Maybe there's someone they love, but man what a pedestrian group at the position.

kirby11

Mar 16, 2011
Buffalo, NY
Love the Breida pickup. They've been missing that burst/home run ability out of the backfield (assuming Breida can stay healthy) ever since Gillislee left.

Great side effect: this all but guarantees they won't go RB at 30.

Last edited:

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT

Here's what I wrote prior to the Obada and Breida signings:

QB: Allen, Trubisky
RB: Moss, Singletary, Jones
WR: Diggs, Beasley, Davis, Sanders, McKenzie
TE: Knox, Hollister
OL: Morse, Dawkins, Williams, Ford, Feliciano, Boettger
(offense: 18)

DL: Hughes, Addison, Epenesa, Johnson, Oliver, Star, Phillips, Butler
LB: Edmungs, Milano, Klein, Dodson, Matakevich
CB/S: White, Johnson, Wallace, Jackson, Hyde, Poyer
ST: Bass, Haack, Ferguson
(defense: 22)

That's 40 spots without considering any of the following: Fromm, Webb, Antonio Williams, Wade, Gilliam, Sweeny, Kumerow, Duke, Hodgins, Bates, Zimmer, Andre Smith, Siran Neal, and Jacquan Johnson (plus other guys on the roster I consider even bigger longshots)

So if we assume the day 1 and 2 picks are locks to make the roster, that puts us at 10 spots left for all of these guys + anyone taken on day 3 to compete for. My point is the roster isn't exactly lacking for depth/back of roster candidates. Day 3 picks will have a tough time making the team. And acquiring extra picks in those rounds is just kind of futile to me.

If we assume Obada and Breida are in the "inside track to make the team" category, that's two more spots occupied. So:

-42 guys currently on the team likely to make the team.
-3 day 1-2 picks locked to make the team
-8 spots for (1) rest of draft picks and (2) all the guys listed above to compete for

Waterfowlist

Aug 9, 2012
Here's what I wrote prior to the Obada and Breida signings:

If we assume Obada and Breida are in the "inside track to make the team" category, that's two more spots occupied. So:

-42 guys currently on the team likely to make the team.
-3 day 1-2 picks locked to make the team
-8 spots for (1) rest of draft picks and (2) all the guys listed above to compete for
I agree with most of this, but I would say Hodges, Bates, and Zimmer are at least “inside track” to make the team. They were real high on Hodges and didn’t IR him for no reason, they wanted him to bake another year.

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
I agree with most of this, but I would say Hodges, Bates, and Zimmer are near locks to make the team. They were real high on Hodges and didn’t IR him for no reason, they wanted him to bake another year.
Perhaps. If you're right, it's even fewer spots up for grabs.

StlSwedes

Dec 3, 2009
Love the two value moves by BB at this point in the off-season. The ability to make BPA picks in the draft instead of plugging holes is a great position to be in for the Bills. During the AFC Championship Game, it was clear to me that the Bills need to keep adding high-end athletes. I want this coaching staff to get ahold of some freak athletes who are growth mindset process mentality guys and see what McDermott and his staff can do with them over the next few years.

TalkingProuder

Feb 27, 2015
Buffalo, NY
@TalkingProuder What were chiefs all-in moves last year? I’m actually asking, I don’t remember.

I'm referring to the off-season where they lost the AFC Championship.

Fired Defensive Coordinator
Traded for Frank Clark, gave him massive contract extension
Signed Tyrann Matthieu to play safety
Hired Steve Spanguolo as DC

Went from last defense to top ten and won the whole thing.

After that they just kept what they had by signing Mahomes, Chris Jones, Kelce to contract extensions.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
I REALLY wanted Breida last offseason. He didnt do much last season with Miami, and was outperformed by other backs, so the lust wore off a bit.

Still, glad to have him on a 1 year deal that I assume is pretty cheap. Fingers crossed he finds his game again and stays healthy. Daboll draws up some nice screen plays that a player like Breida could've broke for a big TD last season.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008

This could be another one of those 'value contracts' where the player far outplays his worth similar to D. Williams this year, though obviously a good RT is way more valuable than a good rotational RB.

cramdizzl

cram it
Jan 5, 2012
Western NY
Love the two value moves by BB at this point in the off-season. The ability to make BPA picks in the draft instead of plugging holes is a great position to be in for the Bills. During the AFC Championship Game, it was clear to me that the Bills need to keep adding high-end athletes. I want this coaching staff to get ahold of some freak athletes who are growth mindset process mentality guys and see what McDermott and his staff can do with them over the next few years.

Andre Cisco is that guy for me. Draft him and move Poyer to big nickel. I know its a pipe dream, but that would be a lot of fun and make for some very confusing looks.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Husko

Jun 30, 2006
Greenwich, CT
Andre Cisco is that guy for me. Draft him and move Poyer to big nickel. I know its a pipe dream, but that would be a lot of fun and make for some very confusing looks.
I don’t think Hoyer has the man skills or on ball physicality to play big nickel. That said, adding a third premier safety and getting to run more 3-safety looks (which provide a ton of scheme and look flexibility, can disguise coverage really well), is definitely something I’d be into.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Rowley Birkin

Oct 31, 2004
I don’t think Hoyer has the man skills or on ball physicality to play big nickel. That said, adding a third premier safety and getting to run more 3-safety looks (which provide a ton of scheme and look flexibility, can disguise coverage really well), is definitely something I’d be into.

I saw something about them looking at another safety who played for the Steelers - Sean Davis. Don't really know anything about him - assumed a Marlow replacement but maybe more?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad