Prospect Info: C Noah Ostlund, 16th Overall, 2022 NHL Draft, Assigned to Rochester 4.17.24

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Main takeaways from Östlund interview on tv is that he's aware of the consequences of a double concussion (dumb question from the reporter if he had a rehab plan based on juniors, he explained why you can't rush a concussion rehab...) and that he feels back on track. Apparently puts his gloves on a heater between periods.

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
I'm going to keep hoping on this guy becoming a mid-six C for Buffalo in a couple years. Don't want to trade him at all. Rather shop Rosen or Savoie if someone has to go in a big trade.
I'm beginning to think Ostlund makes Savoie redundant. Very impressive tournament and a nice bounce-back season.

Adams has to start packaging up prospects and picks. Savoie+ would be a good place to start. Let him rack up a boatload of points with Moose Jaw first.

Reactions: rams

Sabresfansince1980

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2011
from Wheatfield, NY
I'm beginning to think Ostlund makes Savoie redundant. Very impressive tournament and a nice bounce-back season.

Adams has to start packaging up prospects and picks. Savoie+ would be a good place to start. Let him rack up a boatload of points with Moose Jaw first.
Since any of them were drafted, I only saw Ostlund as a true C. Good defensively, all zones. Kulich has that shot, Benson has that determination and IQ. Rosen and Savoie are small like everyone else, but don't have anything that really sticks out. Throw Wahlberg into the equation with a 200 ft game AND size...I don't see how those two aren't on the top of the "we might have to trade a guy" list.

Reactions: ceky and Irie

Deep Blue Metallic

Bo knows hockey.
Mar 5, 2021
Since any of them were drafted, I only saw Ostlund as a true C. Good defensively, all zones. Kulich has that shot, Benson has that determination and IQ. Rosen and Savoie are small like everyone else, but don't have anything that really sticks out. Throw Wahlberg into the equation with a 200 ft game AND size...I don't see how those two aren't on the top of the "we might have to trade a guy" list.
Which two, Savoie and Rosen? Agreed.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013

Östlund had Swedens worst two coaches the last season (club and national team). Pretty unlucky. Both are Krueger level. Both will never have a hockey job again.

Faceboner

Jan 6, 2022
Thus guy has sneaky potential, would it be safe to consider h8m a blue chip prospect league-wide?

Snippit

Dec 5, 2012
Let’s be real, probably 2 of our big 4 prospects have to be traded eventually - actually pretty soon.

My gut feeling is Ostlund is not one of them. I can’t see us being able to afford Mittelstadt long term, and he is the most natural replacement as a C.

Butt Ox

Oct 24, 2006
Luddite Island
No problem. I'll preface my response with this: I'm not a professional scout and I realize my concerns could be wrong. It's not a position I'm willing to die on so those who have a problem with it, that's perfectly fine.

First, I have concerns about his durability. Prior to the draft it was concussions. Since then it's been a number of other different injuries. Part of that can be attributed to his physical play style (which is to his credit). Part of, despite his strong skating, seems to be a lack of a separation gear that leaves him vulnerable to defensive pressure.

Secondly, with the exception of his pace I don't see a lot of elite traits that, given his size, project him to be top 6. His shot, his hockey IQ, his passing, his compete all grade out as mostly very good, but to my eyes, not good enough to outweigh his size limitations and confidently project him as top 6 winger on a good team.

Anyway, I'm trying to not be too negative about his prospects (or any other Sabre picks).
Thank you, I appreciate the response. His size and durability do come into question. There's a lot to like in his stack and I do hope he can overcome the size knock. Both Benson and Savoie mog me size-wise; experientially I know how hard it is.

Reactions: dickiedunnwrotethis

BuffaloGooner

Sep 8, 2011
Sloan, NY
I will admit I haven’t seen much of Ostlund besides this tournament and some Kris Baker updates but the kid was electric in the tournament. I knew he was a play driver and known for carrying the puck but there were points he looked liked a young Kuznetsov through the neutral zone.

K8fool

Sep 30, 2018
stomach of giant parasitic worm
I will admit I haven’t seen much of Ostlund besides this tournament and some Kris Baker updates but the kid was electric in the tournament. I knew he was a play driver and known for carrying the puck but there were points he looked liked a young Kuznetsov through the neutral zone.
He grew as well. Hopefully he gets stronger naturally without the bulk and stupidity diet that cozens and Dahlin are still overcoming . He might get a call this year. Any additional presence like Quinn will help this team.

Didn't see this tourney. Anybody have more ostlund and kulich insights. Savoie? They all seemed to need time. Yet. Peterka and Quinn clicked after this in their year

Reactions: allsilverdreams

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad