Cale Makar wins Norris Trophy

Belgican

Mar 8, 2002
Visit site
Congrats Cale ! 💪

Have to say I didn’t expect it, but from the last 2 seasons and playoffs, I would say it’s well deserved 🤩

Very good before game 4 😉

missionAvs

Leader of the WGA
Sponsor
Aug 18, 2009
Florida
Very surprised by this but I agree with the voting. Makar might not have had the most 1st place votes but he had the most 1st-2nd place votes by a decent margin. Amazing season for the kid but I hope he keeps his eye on the big one, the Cup........and the Smythe :naughty: .

Reactions: niwotsblessing

Bender

Sep 25, 2002
Somebody pointed out that Makar had 195 votes to Josi's 194, which means some idiot somewhere didn't have Josi in his top 5. :laugh: Wouldn't have made a difference in the final totals but I'd love to know what that voter's excuse was.
This is why it shouldn't be these goofs who actually vote on these trophies. Too many of them are stupid and ignorant much as dater was when he was allowed to vote for many years.

Then there's always the "oh yeah, he's having a great season but he's on a rival team so I'm going to downplay it and not vote correctly"... Ridiculous, I know but it absolutely happens. :thumbd:

Like how the f*** do you write about hockey for a living and forget about the season Roman Josi is having???

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy Makar won, I just hate massive incompetence on any level.

Grigowski

Jul 6, 2016
Best part is the salty Nashville fans.

No big offense against Nashville fans. They took the sweep of their team mostly like Gentlemans. Unlike Fans from our other victims along the way.

It could have gone either way. I would have no problem with Josi getting it.

But there are discussions every year. Let´s not make a big affair out of it.

This is why it shouldn't be these goofs who actually vote on these trophies. Too many of them are stupid and ignorant much as dater was when he was allowed to vote for many years.

Then there's always the "oh yeah, he's having a great season but he's on a rival team so I'm going to downplay it and not vote correctly"... Ridiculous, I know but it absolutely happens. :thumbd:

Like how the f*** do you write about hockey for a living and forget about the season Roman Josi is having???

Don't get me wrong, I'm happy Makar won, I just hate massive incompetence on any level.

100 % Agree with this take.

AllAboutAvs

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 25, 2006
Congrats Cale! Well deserved!

One thing I'm going to say:
Am I glad we signed him before he won this Norris and possibly the SC. I'd like to think he would have not affect his thinking on the final AAV but it most likely would have added 1-2M.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
Looks like a good handful of voters decided Hedman/McAvoy deserved to be in the top 2 more than Josi and that pushed Makar over the edge even though Josi had more first place votes.

1 voter didn't even have Josi in his top five. I'm dying to know who that dumbass is.

I'm happy Makar won, but individual awards are stupid because they are voted on by morons.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Surprised the voters got it right, but the right guy won. There is not a dman in the league better than Makar right now.

The only thing Josi did better was rack up assists. Makar was better in every facet of the game other than that. This was on full display round 1.

This is an award for best all around defenseman, not highest scoring dman. The voters did a good job realizing this.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
Looks like a good handful of voters decided Hedman/McAvoy deserved to be in the top 2 more than Josi and that pushed Makar over the edge even though Josi had more first place votes.

1 voter didn't even have Josi in his top five. I'm dying to know who that dumbass is.

I'm happy Makar won, but individual awards are stupid because they are voted on by morons.
While the voting system is a bit strange, it's still nice to see them actually get it right with Makar.

As for Josi I think people saw through the big numbers and saw he was actually not as good all around as others.

Personally I'd probably have him 3rd-5th, Makar, Hedman probably 1-2, McAvoy had a great season and even Fox was close to Josi. Having Josi outside the top 5, that's pushing it. Not sure who voted that way, but at end of the day even if that person voted Josi 1st he still doesn't win.

bromando

Jun 4, 2013
Surprised the voters got it right, but the right guy won. There is not a dman in the league better than Makar right now.

The only thing Josi did better was rack up assists. Makar was better in every facet of the game other than that. This was on full display round 1.

This is an award for best all around defenseman, not highest scoring dman. The voters did a good job realizing this.
Yeah it's funny - every time someone wins on points alone, everyone cries and complains (including Nashville for so long when they had Weber and Suter) that the best defenseman isn't just someone who racks up the highest point total. But this year they got it right and we'll continue to hear how Cale didn't deserve it since he had 10 fewer points.

I'm fine with voting going the way of this year over the point total race (I'd also be fine with D-man with the highest point total being it's own award like the Art Ross). The inconsistency is what sucks so I hope going forward they continue to value overall defensive play.

Anyways, go Makar!

Reactions: chet1926

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
It's fun watching some main board posters attempting to diminish Makar's defensive capabilities, trying to say that he and Josi were similar defensively. That is a sure fire indication that someone has never watched Makar play hockey.

Reactions: chet1926

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
It's fun watching some main board posters attempting to diminish Makar's defensive capabilities, trying to say that he and Josi were similar defensively. That is a sure fire indication that someone has never watched Makar play hockey.
Yep I mean they went head to head round 1. Josi was not super noticable offensively and was average defensively. Makar dominated that series on both ends.

I think people get this notion in their heads that Makar sucks defensively because he is so good at offense. When that simply isn't the case. If anything his defense comes first for Makar.

SirLoinOfCloth

Apr 22, 2019
Colorado
Yep I mean they went head to head round 1. Josi was not super noticable offensively and was average defensively. Makar dominated that series on both ends.

I think people get this notion in their heads that Makar sucks defensively because he is so good at offense. When that simply isn't the case. If anything his defense comes first for Makar.
Yea, his stellar defense is the springboard to his excellent offense. He wouldn't be half as effective offensively if he couldn't do all the right things on the back-end. It's not like he's cherry-picking all night.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2bowhunt

avsfan9

Jul 28, 2011
Somebody pointed out that Makar had 195 votes to Josi's 194, which means some idiot somewhere didn't have Josi in his top 5. :laugh: Wouldn't have made a difference in the final totals but I'd love to know what that voter's excuse was.
Watch it be a Denver media guy

Mighty Makar

I hate this fu*ken team
May 24, 2016
161024E1-4973-45E2-BD39-BE07C0466754.jpeg

The Kingslayer

Aug 26, 2004
Siem Reap, Cambodia

Someone voted for Makar for rookie of the year. Amazing.

Wont be easy but if he does it means he was better that season than the other great dman in the league which is only good for the Avs.

Reactions: Snow Arc

Snow Arc

Genetically engineered to want to be eaten
Aug 14, 2020
Hope no Avs players want #8 on their jersey in the future. It wont be available.

Spleenless Wonder21

Done like dinner
Jun 29, 2009
Ohio
Josi, Hedman, McAvoy & Fox will forever be
1655919969662.gif

Now, go take the penultimate prize, & if you win the Conn Smythe in the process, such is life.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad