Current state of Sens roster formation

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
I tried to break the current roster down as follows, feel free to post yours and the types of moves realistically available to fill those needs.

Foundational (DO NOT TRADE):
1. Tkachuk
2. Stutzle
3. Sanderson
4. Norris
5. Pinto
6. Greig

Veteran Core (TRADE ONLY IF THE ROSTER FAILS AGAIN and VALUE COMING BACK IS RIGHT):
1. Zub
2. Batherson
3. Giroux

Trade chips (ONLY ONE CAN BE TRADED)
1. Chychrun
2. Chabot

Other trade options (DO NOT EXPECT A HIGH RETURN):
1. Matthieu Joseph

Team Needs:
1. Goalies
2. Second pairing Right Handed Defensive D-MAN (top-4)
3. Veteran Physical/shutdown D-MAN (bottom-6, RD preferred)
4. Veteran bottom 6 forwards
5. A top-9 forward who can chip in offensively

Reactions: Ralph Malfredsson

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
Norris definitely not a foundational piece. If you could trade him you'd do it in a second, but he's unmovable

The rest can be agreed on, give or take

I am in the minority here who still believes that a healthy (big if) Norris is an important top-6 contributor as a goal scoring centre (who was decent defensively before injury). He needs to be physically stronger, on top of being fully healthy. Trading him now is pointless, getting him healthy and going should be the top priority for Sens med staff.

stempniaksen

Oct 12, 2008
The Norris part obviously isn't gonna be popular around here given his injury issues and Pinto's emergence. I wouldn't throw him away just yet, but lumping him in with the other five doesn't seem right.

I wouldn't dump Joseph for the sake of it either, next year he'll be making less than 3% of the cap, I think that's perfectly adequate for his role on them team and they need more players like him (speed, defensively capable) and not not less.

If Batherson starts next season the way he finished this season he's also closer to working his way back into the first tier of guys. He has the potential to be one of the better players on this roster for years to come.

Whoever the team drafts at #7 will hopefully be a foundational piece as well. Tough to call a yet to be drafted player untouchable, but in the context of the team lacking high end prospects and players who will be able to contribute on ELC's it makes it a necessary pick to "hit" on.

Alf Silfversson

Jun 8, 2011
I am in the minority here who still believes that a healthy (big if) Norris is an important top-6 contributor as a goal scoring centre (who was decent defensively before injury). He needs to be physically stronger, on top of being fully healthy. Trading him now is pointless, getting him healthy and going should be the top priority for Sens med staff.

I agree that getting Norris healthy and strong should be the priority but not because trading him would be pointless but rather that trading him is pretty much impossible.

I don't think the core of untradeables can include Norris, Pinto and Greig. I think ultimately Norris is the odd man out.

Reactions: Cosmix and armani

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I think the one reality we may have to face is moving forward with the younger elements of the core and there is going to be a reset. I don't think things are going to turn around quick enough to keep Tkachuk in the fold and a divorce will happen before success is had. I'm going to go a bit bold on my answers.

Foundational:
Stutzle
Sanderson
Pinto
Greig
#7 Overall

Veterans to Keep to expiry (Either cuz of good value or because they'd be too costly to ship out):
Giroux
Chabot
Zub
Norris
Joseph

Trade chips to reset
Chychrun
Tkachuk
Batherson

Need to be shot to the moon for the betterment of the team
Korpisalo (Imo this is a huge priority, season is over if he's back)
Hamonic (I supported the guy a long time, I think his time is done)
Forsberg
Kubalik

Team Needs:
1. Goalies

BoardsofCanada

Aug 26, 2009
G.T.A.
I dont see Grieg as a foundational piece. If I could package him with a draft pick and land John Gibson in return, I'd do it without hesitation.

Reactions: Cosmix

GCK

Oct 15, 2018
Core

Stu
Tkachuk
Pinto
Sanderson

Guys I wouldn’t trade unless they are part of acquiring an exceptional young talent, so not moving

Batherson
Greig
Zub

Guys on ELCs who I wouldn’t move

Klevin
Ostapchuk

Everyone else is on the table

Laphroaig

Aug 26, 2011
The Town Fun Forgot
I dont see Grieg as a foundational piece. If I could package him with a draft pick and land John Gibson in return, I'd do it without hesitation.
Trading Greig for a goalie with an even lower save pct (.888) than either Korpisalo or Forsberg seems counter productive. It's not just one bad year for Gibson either. In the last five years he been below .900 twice and .904 is the best he's managed in those five seasons. Doesn't exactly inspire confidence.

Reactions: armani

DylanSensFan

BEESHIP: NBH
Aug 3, 2010
Calgary
I tried to break the current roster down as follows, feel free to post yours and the types of moves realistically available to fill those needs.

1. Tkachuk
2. Stutzle
3. Sanderson
4. Norris
5. Pinto
6. Greig

Veteran Core (TRADE ONLY IF THE ROSTER FAILS AGAIN and VALUE COMING BACK IS RIGHT):
1. Zub
2. Batherson
3. Giroux

1. Chychrun
2. Chabot

1. Matthieu Joseph

Team Needs:
1. Goalies
I don't think we necessarily need a goalie. I still believe in Korpi's capability. I've lost my patience regarding Forsberg.

Relapsing

Jul 3, 2018
Not foundational, but a mold of player you probably want on your roster.

If SS doesn't see a future for him here, then he should at least let him cook for a bit and aim to sell him in a few years when he really hits his stride.

DrEasy

Out rumptackling
Oct 3, 2010
Stützville
A lot rides on whether Norris can be back and performing at his best, i.e. a #1 or #2 C. In that optimistic scenario, we might be competitive with very minimal changes:

Chuck - Norris - Batherson (or swap forwards on these two lines, that's beside the point)
XXX - Stu - Giroux <- XXX could be an FA or return for a Chychrun trade
Greig - Pinto - Joseph <- very nice "identity" line
Kelly - Kastelic - Kachouk <- if a cheap vet falls into our lap, could upgrade this
(Ostapchuk, MacEwen, Crookshank, etc.)

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - YYY <- YYY could be an FA or return for a Chychrun trade
Brannstrom - JBD
(Kleven)

ZZZ (not expecting a top goalie here; this could be the most challenging piece to find)
Forsberg

For XXX above among FAs we have people like Tyler Bertuzzi or Adam Henrique. They're going to fetch in the $5M-$6M/yr vicinity. I'm not sure who is available trade-wise.

For YYY above we know the list of usual suspects. Tanev, etc.

We probably won't be able to acquire two FAs to address XXX and YYY and still fit under the cap, so one of them will have to be instead the return for trading Chychrun, and it would have to be someone cheap.

Have no clue for ZZZ. Goalies like Stolarz and Brossoit seem to be the consensus, but my guess is that many teams will be after them, and even if we had a chance at them they might not end up being as cheap as we imagine.

In reality we might only be able to address YYY, in which case I'm not optimistic about our playoff chances next year. Let's say we trade Chychrun for Cernak, and just end our summer activity there, since there won't be much room for an FA acquisition:

Chuck - Norris - Batherson
Joseph - Stu - Giroux
Greig - Pinto - Jarventie? <- or someone else from our current AHL roster
Kelly - Kastelic - Kachouk

Sanderson - Zub
Chabot - Cernak
Brannstrom - JBD
(Kleven)

Korpisalo (ewww)
Forsberg

the above roster is one injury away from being out of contention by December once again.

Not sure what role our #7 OA draft pick can play in any of the above scenarios; I'm assuming whoever is drafted there isn't fully ready to play in the NHL right away, but I could be wrong there and would love to know more actually.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

1. Tkachuk
2. Stutzle
3. Sanderson
4. Norris
5. Pinto
6. Greig

1. Zub
2. Batherson
3. Giroux

1. Chychrun
2. Chabot

1. Matthieu Joseph

Team Needs:
1. Goalies

- Norris can't be "Foundational" as long as he doesn't prove his shoulder injuries are behind him.

- I'd have Joseph and Chabot in the veteran core

- Chychrun as a trade chip

It would be very stupid to trade Mathieu Joseph, you'll never get back in a trade something that is going to be more helpful than his contributions. We actually need more players like him Speed and 2-way play and also a bit of fire in his belly.

Tuna99

Sep 26, 2009
We have 4 trade chips to fill wholes and rebalance the roster and it’ll be enough to redefine the team:

1 - Chychryn or Chabot (top 4 RD)
2 - Joseph (depth RW)
3 - Brannstrom (depth RD)
4 - Boston 1st round pick (Ulmark/ Markstrom)

I think with this you can get a goalie, a RD, and agorae’s depth.

bicboi64

Aug 13, 2020
Brampton
Stu
Sandy
Pinto
Zub

Everyone else can be had for the right price but I'd like to keep Tkachuk, Bath, Giroux, Brannstrom and Joseph.

Acquire a solid RD like Pesce, DeMelo, Roy, etc...
Get a scrappy middle 6 player from a cash strapped team like Garland from Vancouver
Use Chychrun to get a goalie that gives us a fighting chance (Ullmark plz)
Buyout Korpisalo so we don't go into the season demoralized

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Stu
Sandy
Pinto
Zub

Everyone else can be had for the right price but I'd like to keep Tkachuk, Bath, Giroux, Brannstrom and Joseph.

Acquire a solid RD like Pesce, DeMelo, Roy, etc...
Get a scrappy middle 6 player from a cash strapped team like Garland from Vancouver
Use Chychrun to get a goalie that gives us a fighting chance (Ullmark plz)
Buyout Korpisalo so we don't go into the season demoralized
This team should've kept Demelo when they had the chance and sent an OS for Swayman instead of signing Korp, and trade JC for another top 4 D that is a better fit for this team.

Last edited:
Reactions: bicboi64

armani

High Jacques
Apr 8, 2005
Uranus
@Xspyrit @BondraTime @stempniaksen: It makes all the logical sense to not include Norris as part of the team's foundation, but the hope is the Tarasenko shoulder surgeon will get him in Chuck Norris form where he comes back healthy and producing next season. A fully healthy Norris is a 30 goal scorer, even with 2nd line minutes as a healthy Norris is a PP1 guy. There is no other alternatives, no trade market for an injured sub $8M guy as we know, they will have to get him back at 100%.

I will wait a year to point and laugh at your faces lol. Come on Chuck get at 'er.

Also, not advocating they trade Joseph, just pointing out potential trade values (worth more to us as a 3rd line player with constant motor than in a trade).

Last edited:

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
This team should've kept Demelo when they had the chance and sent an OS for Swayman instead of signing Korp, and trade JC for another top 4 D that is a better fit for this team.
An offersheet to Swayman would have required a 1st round pick, minimum, because Boston would have matched anything else.

So, say we offered 6 mil x whatever in years, compensation is a 1st and a 3rd. problem is we traded the third away in 2022 for DBC

Best we could have done is offer 4.2 because that's a 2nd round pick which we still owned but I can't imagine Boston not matching there..

Gil Gunderson

May 2, 2007
Ottawa, ON
Korpisalo will have a bounce back year
Korpisalo didn't play any worse than he played from 2020-2021 and 2021-2022. This is probably just who he is.

Not only that. We could have had Demelo for probably very little before the Seattle expansion draft.

LudwigVonKarlsson

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
An offersheet to Swayman would have required a 1st round pick, minimum, because Boston would have matched anything else.

So, say we offered 6 mil x whatever in years, compensation is a 1st and a 3rd. problem is we traded the third away in 2022 for DBC

Best we could have done is offer 4.2 because that's a 2nd round pick which we still owned but I can't imagine Boston not matching there..
Damn, you're right. I thought we still had that 2nd round pick. Damn you Dorion!

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad