GWT: EPL - Matchweek 37 (Ft. MW 34)

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Pure copium.

With 7 games left in the season they were level with Villa on points and had an extra game to play.

Since then they've lost 5 of 6 games.
I'm talking about at the beginning of the season. With a new manager, losing Kane, a completely new style of play... it was realistic to hope for top 6. Top 4 was not really realistic, since you had to figure that the top 3 were set and it looked like Newcastle were ready to join that group. I don't think anyone seriously expected Spurs and Villa to be competing for 4th and 5th. I would say both exceeded expectations.

Last edited:
Reactions: HeHateMeFrisbee

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
You want some coping?

We're fine. Fergie hand picked Moyes to replace him at United all those years ago, knowing that Moyes would suck ass at United, but one day end up at West Ham and get to deny City the title on MW38.
If you really want to cope, you'd remember that two seasons ago, West Ham took points against City in MW37 in a close title race. Now, City still went on to win, in part because Liverpool dropped points to none other than Spurs in MW 35, but at least West Ham took points.

Moyes has 1 win and 3 draws against Pep

Last edited:
Reactions: KJS14

KJS14

Jun 13, 2013
If you really want to cope, you'd remember that two seasons ago, West Ham took points against City in MW37 in a close title race. Now, City still went on to win, in part because Liverpool dropped points to none other than Spurs in MW 35, but at least West Ham took points.

Can we loan them back Rice for 1 week?

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh

The lads are gonna be so jazzed for Moyes' last game that they're gonna play the most Moyes-game of football they've every played.

Reactions: KJS14

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
Yeah I am so rattled, I am rattling all my way to watching my team in UCL next season. Rattle on
I'm guessing that's an attempted dig on Spurs for not making the CL? Nice try. I think 5th is a reasonable achievement given the circumstances this year, and higher than many had us pegged at the start (i had us 6th)

Well done man, you guys finished 3rd in your manager's last season. Way to go!

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
I had Spurs fifth at the beginning of the season, which felt a bit optimistic, but it's where they'll finish.
I'm ready for them to lose to Sheffield and finish 7th

The lads are gonna be so jazzed for Moyes' last game that they're gonna play the most Moyes-game of football they've every played.
I'm ready for the bus to be parked and Bowen to hit them on the counter attack.

Although a draw is perfectly sufficient for Arsenal's purposes as well.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I'm guessing that's an attempted dig on Spurs for not making the CL? Nice try. I think 5th is a reasonable achievement given the circumstances this year, and higher than many had us pegged at the start (i had us 6th)

Well done man, you guys finished 3rd in your manager's last season. Way to go!
It’s not an attempted dig, it’s what the reality is. I am glad you are happy with 5th.

3rd isn’t great but at least it’s UCL. Don’t see why manager’s last season is particularly relevant though. Also if you want to say you are happy with 5th because that was above your expectations, even less people thought LFC would finish as high as third.

The dig doesn’t really work if you finish worse than the team you are trying to dig at. That’s just how shoveling works.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
Spurs "bottled" top 4 in the same way Arsenal "bottled" the league last year. Likely exceeded expectations because of a hot start but didn't have the depth/experience/whatever to maintain the challenge down the stretch.

At the same time, to pretend like no one was talking about Spurs as title contenders in October is inaccurate.

To that end...

• Wow
Reactions: maclean and S E P H

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
They started the season with 8 wins and 2 draws in 10 games for a 98.8 point 38 game pace.

In the 27 games since then they're 11 wins, 4 draws, and 12 losses for a 52 point 38 game pace which would put them in between Brighton and West Ham.
You lot see? I was right once again.

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
It’s not an attempted dig, it’s what the reality is. I am glad you are happy with 5th.

3rd isn’t great but at least it’s UCL. Don’t see why manager’s last season is particularly relevant though. Also if you want to say you are happy with 5th because that was above your expectations, even less people thought LFC would finish as high as third.

The dig doesn’t really work if you finish worse than the team you are trying to dig at. That’s just how shoveling works.
I know that a lot of people struggle with reading comprehension, and you have proven you have this issue, time and time again.

What I said, clearly, was that it was a reasonable finish given the circumstances. If you scroll up, you can read it again. Maybe the second time around you'll actually be able to comprehend the simple words.

I don't think anyone would be "happy" to finish 5th. The manager some of you like to mock because he says mate, has said that his aims are a lot higher, and as a fan, that aligns with my desires as well. Hopefully the result is something hat makes our fanbase "happy"

Reactions: Peen

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
I know that a lot of people struggle with reading comprehension, and you have proven you have this issue, time and time again.

What I said, clearly, was that it was a reasonable finish given the circumstances. If you scroll up, you can read it again. Maybe the second time around you'll actually be able to comprehend the simple words.

I don't think anyone would be "happy" to finish 5th. The manager some of you like to mock because he says mate, has said that his aims are a lot higher, and as a fan, that aligns with my desires as well. Hopefully the result is something hat makes our fanbase "happy"
Reasonable finish, combined with finishing higher than you expected sounds happy to me.

I don’t think finishing higher than you expected equates with being unhappy

HeHateMeFrisbee

Feb 27, 2002
Savannah, GA
Reasonable finish, combined with finishing higher than you expected sounds happy to me.

I don’t think finishing higher than you expected equates with being unhappy
I am neither happy nor sad. Mildly surprised that we performed better than what was expected, and hopeful that progress can continue to be made.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
I had Spurs fifth at the beginning of the season, which felt a bit optimistic, but it's where they'll finish.
I’d they lose to Sheffield (I’ve seen crazier things happen) then:

Chelsea beating Brighton and Bournemouth drops them a spot.

Newcastle beating United and Brentford drops them another spot.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
And TBH I don't see Brighton winning this game. Too many injuries and the team looks like it's just trying to get to the summer.
Yea. At most they’re playing to stay top half, but there’s nothing else to play for. Europe is out of reach and player contracts aren’t going to have a “top half” bonus or anything, so there’s really no financial motivation.

Reactions: robertmac43

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
He had a good game defensively but I don't know if Drăgușin will ever be able to play Ange ball, still not very confident with the ball at his feet.

Reactions: PanniniClaus

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad