Post-Game Talk: Game 5

Status
Not open for further replies.

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
there were so many chances where we could have handled the puck and transitioned to offense with speed and mishandled it. The few times we did handle it we just dumped it to the neutral zone instead of trying to make a play
Yeah, I noticed this a lot as well.

Our transition game just wasn't hitting and it made them more and more dangerous.

The Staal goal was right off of a botched counter-attack.

DevilDog99

May 5, 2018
Our big boys have to step it up. I’ve had concerns about our skill guys since these team formed: zibs, pan, fox. Our three “best” players aren’t playoff guys. When the going gets tough……

Top guys gotta step it up. Look at the winning teams….

Oscar Lindberg

Dec 14, 2015
CA
A larger issue that will need to be addressed at some point is, at any given time, the team play 6 defensemen. One of whom is amazing and the other 5 range anywhere from solid to straight up ass

Not a great strategy

Reactions: irishlaxburger2

Glen Sathers Cigar

Sather 4 Ever
Feb 4, 2013
New York
When your only goal in this game on home ice is a Jacob Trouba unassisted goal, wtf are you doing? How do you expect to win that game? Did Andersen even break a sweat?

The PP was legitimately baffling to watch. Looked like the the NBA guys in space jam when the monstars stole their talent. Literally couldn’t even make a 3 foot pass.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I did, and he had probably lower lows in the playoffs than Igor. But can he ever get us a f***ing shutout. He goes from looking like a wall to a sieve. Just can't finish games.
Having to rely on a goalie to pitch a shutout in a playoff game is a horseshit strategy. Maybe if the team in front of him didn't hang him out to dry during the entire game the result might've been a little different. Igor was literally the only reason we weren't trailing after after the 1st & held the lead after the 2nd. The Rangers were gliding & puckwatching ALL night from the opening draw.

Captain Lindy

Formerly known as Kreider Beast
Apr 1, 2006
Virginia
That last part is the problem. “Find a way to win”. This team is just looking to scrape by and get themselves out of this series. The mentality needs to be about dominating your opponent. Not just hoping you can steal one more.

You hoped 1 random short handed goal would carry the night tonight. Everyone watching knew it wouldn’t.
Amen to this!!

TriFF51

USA Hockey
Aug 21, 2009
New York
Carolina got lucky these past 2 games. we got lucky in both OTs. these things even out. guess what, we're still up 3-2. they're not winning 2 in a row AGAIN.
I'm scrolling through comments quickly, and I'm thinking, wow there's at least a few here that are thinking positive. But then I look and it's just you again lol.

I'm glad someone is here trying to keep us off the ledge.

Reactions: Captain Lindy

LeetchisGod

This is a bad hockey team.
May 21, 2009
Washington, DC
Jones puckhandling and transition would help give some oxygen to our forwards. But Lavi has painted himself into a corner here.
Laviolette continuing to trot Gus' worthless ass on the ice is a problem. He hasn't generated offfense in months.

Brutananadilewski

Nov 6, 2021
Wherever the keg is!
This is something that won't be rectified and has been happening all season and it still chaps my ass (Both cheeks are calloused to hell and back!)

I'm sick and tired of this team getting to a loose puck or having a takeaway and they have an odd-man rush...and the SOB with the puck will slow down so the other guy can catch-up to him.

...Have they not realized that in doing so, they allow the defense to also catch a step?

Reactions: mandiblesofdoom

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Having to rely on a goalie to pitch a shutout in a playoff game is a horseshit strategy. Maybe if the team in front of him didn't hang him out to dry during the entire game the result might've been a little different. Igor was literally the only reason we had the lead after the 1st & the 2nd. The Rangers were gliding & puckwatching ALL night from the opening draw.

I 100% agree with this. I complained as early as the second period that they tried to win the game 1-0. But I feel like Igor should have at least gotten the game into OT, or at least given us a shot at the end. He fell apart in the third. That second goal was awful. But yes this team was shit way more than him. They were complete shit.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
I'm just gonna tell myself losing a game they sucked in is better long term than playing well and losing, cause you can only go up from here. And now to not let them dampen my mood for the next 3 days.

Reactions: will1066

Machinehead

GoAwayTrouba
Jan 21, 2011
NYC
This is something that won't be rectified and has been happening all season and it still chaps my ass (Both cheeks are calloused to hell and back!)

I'm sick and tired of this team getting to a loose puck or having a takeaway and they have an odd-man rush...and the SOB with the puck will slow down so the other guy can catch-up to him.

...Have they not realized that in doing so, they allow the defense to also catch a step?
We change a lot in these situations too. It's one thing when you're buzzing, but in a game like this where the chances weren't really there, you have to take them.

As I've said, I thought we defended well. Getting the puck going the other way was non-existent in this one, and that's been our bread and butter.

It's still there. Carolina was as aggressive as always and left themselves wide open again. We just couldn't complete the passes tonight.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Momentum is bullshit.

We were up 3-0 and Carolina won two in row like that didn't happen.

Yep.

This is the only game in the series thus far that NYR have real cause to worry about.

The first 4 games were coin flips and they came out of those with 3 wins.

This game has warning signs, cause NYR couldn't get the game back on track once Carolina tied and established the lead. At that point, even they wanted to swing from turtling to pushing, it looked like they were ice-skating uphill.

The order of the wins and losses doesn't matter anywhere near as much as the fact that this is a razor thin series, and NYR now have some red flags they need to address quick.

Boris Zubov

No relation to Sergei, Joe
May 6, 2016
Back on the east coast
I 100% agree with this. I complained as early as the second period that they tried to win the game 1-0. But I feel like Igor should have at least gotten the game into OT, or at least given us a shot at the end. He fell apart in the third. That second goal was awful. But yes this team was shit way more than him. They were complete shit.
He gave up a bad rebound, but Panarin can't fall asleep & give up inside position for an easy goal. Igor bailed the team out all night, he earned some support.

Reactions: SnowblindNYR

mandiblesofdoom

May 24, 2012
Ye of little faith! these pansies over on their board are crapping themselves knowing they're only halfway to a series win. and this board has fallen apart. 98%!! nobody is reverse sweeping us.
The 98% number is irrelevant now. You need the 3-2 number. Or, to be really precise, the percentage of teams who went up 3-0, then lost the next two, and then won the series. It's not 98%.

Last edited:

PuckLuck3043

Stairway To Heaven
Nov 15, 2017
Hudson Valley
When your only goal in this game on home ice is a Jacob Trouba unassisted goal, wtf are you doing? How do you expect to win that game? Did Andersen even break a sweat?

The PP was legitimately baffling to watch. Looked like the the NBA guys in space jam when the monstars stole their talent. Literally couldn’t even make a 3 foot pass.
I want to say they looked tired but how could they be tired when it's Carolina who expends more energy with their style of play. I just don't understand this effort.

Reactions: Captain Lindy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad