Prospect Info: General Discussion of Prospects

Ace

Oct 29, 2015
Bader said that in his model Benson and Levi still counted.

In this example their third of fourth best prospect are Savoie or Kulich

Rosen is sixth. And the model is stupid

Reactions: Matt Ress

joshjull

Aug 2, 2005
Hamburg,NY
Bader listed his methodology after that rankings tweet.

1715177730143.jpeg

It would be an understatement to say there is a lot of subjectivity in his “data” driven model.

Last edited:

Fly Boy

Aye Sir!
Jul 29, 2009
Michigan
Good news everyone! I had no idea the Memorial Cup was in Saginaw, Michigan this year. That's only about 2 hours from where I live and the GF's parents reside 30 min from the stadium. Needless to say I got pretty lucky having a few days off, so I'll be going to the games on the 27th and 28th. London vs Moose Jaw and Drummondville vs Moose Jaw. That's 2 Savoie games, 1 Komarov and a nice look at Dickenson. Super pumped!

Willgamesh

Jan 31, 2019
Good news everyone! I had no idea the Memorial Cup was in Saginaw, Michigan this year. That's only about 2 hours from where I live and the GF's parents reside 30 min from the stadium. Needless to say I got pretty lucky having a few days off, so I'll be going to the games on the 27th and 28th. London vs Moose Jaw and Drummondville vs Moose Jaw. That's 2 Savoie games, 1 Komarov and a nice look at Dickenson. Super pumped!
Enjoy it man, seems like an awesome time.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation

I've enjoyed games but it's been since Mississauga hosted since I have been. That was McNabb's Kelowna team, suspension year.

Push Dr Tracksuit

Gerstmann 3:16
Jun 9, 2012
I'm 90% sure it's PNHLe. By that system nothing about his ranks are all that provocative.

Quinn - 68
Savoie - 70
Kulich - 67
Ostlund - 56
Rosen - 49

Those make up the top 5. They have some modeling which predicts if a player will be a Regular or "Star". Sabres do a little better on top 5 stars vs regulars. Probably because Savoie has boom or bust characteristics according to models.

Notable depth players would be:

Komarov - 48
Benson - 47
Wahlberg - 33
Neuchev - 37

I don't think these models do a good job of predicting teenagers who are already playing in the NHL but aren't future MVP candidates. So Benson looks a lot worse than he would have otherwise. If he stuck in the WHL and had a ~90 PNHLe season they're right around the top 5.
If these models were actually good we wouldn’t get to see them.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
If these models were actually good we wouldn’t get to see them.

As an aside, the PDO cast was pointing out something I’ve noticed really great scoring chances that are not being scored as scoring chances by NST. Somebody gets a breakaway and they’re signing really low values to it, but if there’s a rebound or a deflection all of a sudden it’s the greatest thing since sliced bread. I think NST needs to work on their model. And a couple of the other public stat gatherings are also using NST data, it kind of excuse their outcomes as well.

Reactions: Doug Prishpreed

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Two undersized offensive defensemen who weren't really good at that role at their tier and a smaller-sized checking center who hasn't had any offensive breakthrough, though plays against men... nah. They could look elsewhere for UDFA/UFA/OAs and probably get bigger, harder to play against folks

Reactions: HOOats

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad