Habs at the World Championships (May 10-May 26) | TSN, TSN.ca, NHLN, IIHF Worlds 2024 YouTube channel

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
I love the 3 points ranking system personally (W - OTW - OTL - L). It's so much better than the crap we have in the NHL with W - L - OTL - RW - OTW.
Exactly . It's idiocy that some games result in 3 pts and some 2. If you are going to give a point for getting to OT a regulation win should always be worth more than an OT win.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Exactly . It's idiocy that some games result in 3 pts and some 2. If you are going to give a point for getting to OT a regulation win should always be worth more than an OT win.
What's even more stupid is one of the main reason to keep it that way is because "it's more simple" but in reality it's not cause you need the RW and OTW columns as a tie breaker. The NHL even agree that a RW should be worth more and already has it as a column. The only other reason to keep it that way is to not break old records but honestly that's whatever in tennis you have pre open era records and post open era records and it's not a big deal at all.

Reactions: Boss Man Hughes

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
I watched half of the game and found it very entertaining. It was nothing like what I have seen from the current NHL playoffs. There was some real animosity out there, anything that moved got hit lol.

I felt that Slafs line was the best for Slovakia, he was in it whenever he was on the ice lol. They nearly blew it but lucked out in OT and it was a very cool moment to hear the fans sing the national anthem at the end.

Caufield didn't do much and please don't go after Zegras, not my cup of tea.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
Caufield didn't do much and please don't go after Zegras, not my cup of tea.
Happy some guys are starting to agree with me on that. If Zegras can be acquired for "cheap" maybe. But some guys were talking about giving our 5th overall pick for him and it would be imo totally ludicrous to do that.

Last edited:

Boss Man Hughes

Mar 15, 2022
Happy some guys are starting to agree with me on that. If Zegras can be acquired for "cheap" maybe. But some guys were talking about giving our 5th overall pick for him and it would be imo totally ludacris to do that.
Agreed. If HuGo thinks he has the will to win and is willing to work to improve then I would be interested. But just like Dubois I wouldn't give up major assets for him.

Cole not making me any more certain of his future as a Hab. He looked... well he didn't look like anything because I saw him once on the PP.
He had at least one scoring chance. The one I remember he missed the net. Hopefully his shot accuracy returns next season.

Reactions: LaP

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
When you request to be the captain as part of your contract negotiations, you are the problem.

Some guys want to lead, others are ok following. He's a good hockey player, the sens are just a trash franchise. From encouraging cheap shots, (the Lars Eller headshot) to Alfreddson shooting the puck at the other teams heads, to trash goalie fights from Emery.. its just a disgusting franchise players get sucked into. Players change with their teams, Kane was an enormous douchebag too, he's not much of one now. We certainly aren't better off drafting doofus with the long stick and the huge mole.

Reactions: LaP and MarkovsKnee

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
Cole not making me any more certain of his future as a Hab. He looked... well he didn't look like anything because I saw him once on the PP.
He isn't what many posters predicted and yes his shooting percentage was lower and he may rebound from that next season but his impact on the game won't be anything near Suzuki or a more mature Slafkovski.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
He isn't what many posters predicted and yes his shooting percentage was lower and he may rebound from that next season but his impact on the game won't be anything near Suzuki or a more mature Slafkovski.
No but at the same time i disagree with people saying it's going to be a problem. The nucks have Mikheyev at 4.7 millions and they are contending for a cup. 7.8 millions for a 30 goals peripheral player wont be a major problem imo specially since he did relatively well in playoffs when we made them.

Must not have too many of those but one will be fine. In 3-4 years after the cap is adjusted for the covid inflation 7.8 millions wont be that much more than the 4.8 millions Mikheyev has atm. It's going to be fine but we must get bigger in the top 6 so i'd avoid very small player at the draft in the 1st round for at least the next 2-3 years.

Reactions: OldCraig71

Habs

We should have drafted Michkov
Feb 28, 2002
He’s one of my favourite players but I would trade him if a nice package and draft move were there.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
No but at the same time i disagree with people saying it's going to be a problem. The nucks have Mikheyev at 4.7 millions and they are contending for a cup. 7.8 millions for a 30 goals peripheral player wont be a major problem imo specially since he did relatively well in playoffs when we made them.

Must not have too many of those but one will be fine. In 3-4 years after the cap is adjusted for the covid inflation 7.8 millions wont be that much more than the 4.8 millions Mikheyev has atm. It's going to be fine but we must get bigger in the top 6 so i'd avoid very small player at the draft in the 1st round for at least the next 2-3 years.

This is also an example of a significant portion of the fanbase's longstanding predilection to sell low on Canadiens and buy high on guys they don't watch much of or know shit about.

Reactions: Lafleurs Guy

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
This is also an example of a significant portion of the fanbase's longstanding predilection to sell low on Canadiens and buy high on guys they don't watch much of or know shit about.
I didn't say that I wanted to trade Caufield for a bag of compost or even trade him at all. With Suzuki and Caufield having nearly identical contracts I would say that Suzuki is underpaid and Caufield is overpaid. Suzuki does everything and then some and Caufield is a goal scorer and yes it's fine if he's a 30-goal scorer but I don't think that was the expectation when he was signed long term. It might have been an off-year and next season he might score 40 and last season will be forgotten. I wouldn't add his buddy Zegras though, leave him in Anaheim or let some other team trade for him.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
I didn't say that I wanted to trade Caufield for a bag of compost or even trade him at all. With Suzuki and Caufield having nearly identical contracts I would say that Suzuki is underpaid and Caufield is overpaid. Suzuki does everything and then some and Caufield is a goal scorer and yes it's fine if he's a 30-goal scorer but I don't think that was the expectation when he was signed long term. It might have been an off-year and next season he might score 40 and last season will be forgotten. I wouldn't add his buddy Zegras though, leave him in Anaheim or let some other team trade for him.
Based on this year’s results? Sure. Based on future projections, I don’t think so.

Damaged goods.

R.I.P that shoulder.
Let’s hope not. Because that would absolutely suck for us.

Reactions: River Meadow

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I wonder what it would take to get Martin Pospisil out of Calgary? Perfect 3rd line center.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Well my sarcasm meter isn't working so I am not sure why this would be the reply to my question.

I am serious...seems like a good bottom 6 player who plays with a serious edge.
:laugh: Oh it was sarcasm. I was just playing off some other posters here. Wasn’t directed at you.

• Haha
Reactions: Tyson

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010

That is selling low though. If the position is that Caufield is a 30 goal scorer because in his first full season with his scoring dramatically under-performed expectations, despite him finishing top-20 in points and tied for 11th in goals among players 25 and under while also showing a much more complete game than he's ever shown at the NHL level before, then you're selling low (or I guess underselling him).

Like, he's definitely ahead of where Suzuki was at the same age. Sure, his frame means that there's a ceiling to his upside, but some of the takes on Caufield are incredibly reactionary.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
That is selling low though. If the position is that Caufield is a 30 goal scorer because in his first full season with his scoring dramatically under-performed expectations, despite him finishing top-20 in points and tied for 11th in goals among players 25 and under while also showing a much more complete game than he's ever shown at the NHL level before, then you're selling low (or I guess underselling him).

Like, he's definitely ahead of where Suzuki was at the same age. Sure, his frame means that there's a ceiling to his upside, but some of the takes on Caufield are incredibly reactionary.
One of the main reasons he dropped to 15th overall was his lack of size. I still have ptsd from the Smurf era and I look away every time Caufield goes into the corner after a puck for fear that some 200-pound player will crush him.

:laugh: Oh it was sarcasm. I was just playing off some other posters here. Wasn’t directed at you.
Me? I didn't suggest we trade him so I don't know where that is coming from.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad