How do Kings earn back your money?

Who needs to go to earn back your money?

• Total voters

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
As far as commenting on Carrlyn's looks, I just want to say that my posts about her appearance were meant to be satirical. It's obviously silly to give a shit about her hair cut.

It's worth noting however, that part of the reason she was hired is because of her looks. This is not sexist, it's just the truth.

Schmooley

Apr 5, 2016
Stoll sucks as a commentator.

He's the same as every other vanilla dime a dozen former player commentators. He has nothing interesting to say. He's no better than Anson Carter.

I don't have anything against him, but I've never understood what people like about him. He's just there.
Stoll was part of a team that brought 2 cups to the city. He was a leader on the team and gave it everything he had.
He even put his own career on the line for his boys.
Hed have to do something pretty horrible for people to turn on him but being a bit vanilla is not gonna do it.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
Stoll was part of a team that brought 2 cups to the city. He was a leader on the team and gave it everything he had.
He even put his own career on the line for his boys.
Hed have to do something pretty horrible for people to turn on him but being a bit vanilla is not gonna do it.
I said he sucks "AS A COMMENTATOR".

I like him as a player.

Although the idea that he's a good leader is kind of laughable.

SettlementRichie10

May 6, 2012
Little bit of Column A, little bit of Column B.

In a male dominated profession, women will be scrutinized more. Bad male broadcasters are roasted but bad female ones are crucified. Rightly so in many cases but there is more heat thrown on them because they are bad and they must only be on the broadcast because they are a woman if they are indeed that bad. Leah Hextall, Cammi Granato way back in the day and whoever ESPN had on the Oilers/Kings playoff series just now come to mind.

There is also a meathead component to the Carrlyn thing. She isn't as hot as she was when she was scooping up ice in stretch pants and a sports bra but that is like 17 years ago so, sure, she got a hair cut. Outside of myself and a blessed few, most people don't look as good as they did 17 years ago. For longtime fans, there is definitely going to be a bit of "I liked you when you were captain of the Ice Girls v. telling me about hockey while having a short hair cut".

Agree that putting stuff out there opens you up to criticism, but she gets critiqued on her looks as well as what is deserved so it gets a bit uglier than it needs to be,

I mean, I think I'm the only one that ever criticizes Hoven's looks, except for maybe @Maynard. Now there is a mug only a mother could love, but is he getting grief for that?

It's just so easy to not pay attention to the broadcast outside of the actual game. Part of the reason why I love this place: full of Kings and hockey historians that don't need Hoven or anyone to tell them what is going on. There is nothing new under the sun and most of us on here have seen it all before.

Good take, and I wasn’t aware that people were shitting on her just for her looks. Agreed that’s just pointless and sexist and stupid.

BigKing

Blake Out of Hell III: Back in to Hell
Mar 11, 2003
Belmont Shore, CA
google.com
Didn’t Stoll take the fall for the boys in Vegas by pocketing all their cocaine?

I’d say that’s the mark of a great leader. And I’m only like 35% joking there.
Was going to say this. Nobody will ever convince me that it was originally his.

The King of Manhattan Beach doesn't do the holding. He will, however, take the fall when he's close to the end of his career and not a star player on the team.

As for Stoll being vanilla...he's just a laid back dude. He probably would have been more exciting on TV around the time he was letting Rachel Hunter know they weren't getting married via e-mail but he was too busy shooting slappers 15 feet over the net and accidentally boarding guys at the time.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
Didn’t Stoll take the fall for the boys in Vegas by pocketing all their cocaine?

I’d say that’s the mark of a great leader. And I’m only like 35% joking there.
He was the only one leaving the organization at the time, rumor has it he did the boys a solid.

Though, I would still love to hear the whole story. You have to be one hell of a problem to get bounced from a Vegas pool. That stuff was never my cup of tea, but you could walk by any poolside cabana table and see lines out in the open. It's there to get the party girls, it defeats the purpose to keep it on the down low.

Brownie to Pancakes

Jul 1, 2012
CA
Dude, Stoll is the single best aspect of the Kings broadcasts since Bob was in his prime. He is the only straight shooter of the bunch.
Totally agree. He's actually pretty good at pointing out struggles or mistakes without sugarcoating too much or harping too much. A theme among fans/posters is wanting the entire organization from the owner to the hot dog guy to be just as emotional and opinionated as they are at every moment, it's just not realistic yall

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
He was the only one leaving the organization at the time, rumor has it he did the boys a solid.

Though, I would still love to hear the whole story. You have to be one hell of a problem to get bounced from a Vegas pool. That stuff was never my cup of tea, but you could walk by any poolside cabana table and see lines out in the open. It's there to get the party girls, it defeats the purpose to keep it on the down low.

Seriously, the open debauchery at vegas pool parties would make Nero blush

Stoll must have had boardshorts made entirely of MDMA

bland

Jul 1, 2004
As far as commenting on Carrlyn's looks, I just want to say that my posts about her appearance were meant to be satirical. It's obviously silly to give a shit about her hair cut.

It's worth noting however, that part of the reason she was hired is because of her looks. This is not sexist, it's just the truth.

I don't think she was hired for her "looks", I would speculate that she was brought in for a feminine perspective with a relentless positivity to appeal to a broader audience.

There is obviously an increasing amount of women being included in sports broadcasts across the spectrum. Since it is relatively in its infancy, some of those choices aren't going to be strictly on merit quite yet. Once the ground is broke and the option is firmly available there, the quality rises with each generation.

The audience, which I would assume is largely male without seeing any kind of numbers, is going to have to accept some growing pains along the way. Personally, I absolutely LOATHE it when the truth of a matter is sacrificed for feelings' sake, and so much of sports is more fact-based than emotion-centered. I mean, we may react emotionally, but it's generated by a perceived truth.

But denying a truth for the sake of an emotion is a massive problem for our society across the board. Bad enough that we have to deal with it politically, at the office, with the family, etc., but goddam it, when it starts to affect our distractions from the real world it is a total pisser.

King'sPawn

Enjoy the chaos
Jul 1, 2003
I agree about Stoll being the best part of the broadcast. There are times I'd like him to dig deeper on issues, but he's also not shy about calling out things.

I still love Nickson's calling, too.

And, I know he wears on people, but I still appreciate Fox. He clearly loves the org, even to a fault. And while he can be homerish at times, he doesn't go overboard.

Evans and Bathe are basically there. I don't dislike them, but I, personally, don't gain a lot from what they provide.

johnjm22

Pseudo Intellectual
Aug 2, 2005
I don't think she was hired for her "looks", I would speculate that she was brought in for a feminine perspective with a relentless positivity to appeal to a broader audience.

There is obviously an increasing amount of women being included in sports broadcasts across the spectrum. Since it is relatively in its infancy, some of those choices aren't going to be strictly on merit quite yet. Once the ground is broke and the option is firmly available there, the quality rises with each generation.

The audience, which I would assume is largely male without seeing any kind of numbers, is going to have to accept some growing pains along the way. Personally, I absolutely LOATHE it when the truth of a matter is sacrificed for feelings' sake, and so much of sports is more fact-based than emotion-centered. I mean, we may react emotionally, but it's generated by a perceived truth.

But denying a truth for the sake of an emotion is a massive problem for our society across the board. Bad enough that we have to deal with it politically, at the office, with the family, etc., but goddam it, when it starts to affect our distractions from the real world it is a total pisser.
She wasn't hired SOLEY for her looks. Being an on camera personality is a skill. And she's been around hockey for a long time.

But yes, her looks were PART of the reason she was hired.

Unless you think it's a total coincidence that Carrlyn, Heidi and Alex are all attractive women.

Dude, Stoll is the single best aspect of the Kings broadcasts since Bob was in his prime. He is the only straight shooter of the bunch.
Nick Nickson is by far the best part of the King's broadcast.

Stoll is a dime a dozen.

kingsfan28

Its A Kingspiracy !
Feb 27, 2005
Corsi Hill

This I agree with. He's the only one willing to call out the team and players when they're bad. He's called out PLD numerous times as well as others for poor play. He's knows his stuff and is not a company guy. Not sure what anyone expect out of a commentator for a pre/post game broadcast.

bland

Jul 1, 2004
She wasn't hired SOLEY for her looks. Being an on camera personality is a skill. And she's been around hockey for a long time.

But yes, her looks were PART of the reason she was hired.

Unless you think it's a total coincidence that Carrlyn, Heidi and Alex are all attractive women.

Nick Nickson is by far the best part of the King's broadcast.

Stoll is a dime a dozen.

I couldn't possibly disagree with you more strongly about Stoll. And I did love having Nick replace Faust, but he is pretty clearly reaching the end of his career. Lots of unforced errors on his part last year, happens to the best of him.

Jim Fox is the greatest ambassador this organization has ever had, just a pleasure to speak with, such a warm, welcoming personality. However, since the Cups his broadcasts verge on parody.

Reactions: 21Dog

Sol

Smile
Jun 30, 2017
I think if Darryl gets roasted for his outfits then Carrlyn can get roasted for a haircut. I don't think any of that is sexist. However I dont know why people are acting like Carrlyn is getting unfair amount of hate when she legit talked shit to the fans lol. If anyone on the broadcast crew talked shit they would be getting hate too.

Stoll sucks, there's nothing enlightening about his commentary. I think Evans gives better honest commentary than Stoll does. I like Nick though.

I dont know why you guys are making the Carrlyn shit contentious when everyone knows that the problem with the team alone is Blake and Luc. Development sucks too. They can get fired.

Last edited:

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
The Kings have a whole of questions to answer and players to sign and other to let go. Byfield and Spence are numero uno and due signings that have to be taken care like yesterday! After that the Kings need a legitimate Numero uno Goaltender though that maybe solved with the trading for of Linus Ullmark who was linked to the Kings at the TDL...the cost? Grundstrom...since he's got to be fed up with how he's been used and dis-used over the years! Some fans say and want PLDubois gone but I just don't see it happening anytime soon...Look for Boston to get Madden, some of our other prospects in the waiting for Ullmark who has 1 year remaining before he hits UFA status...others I'd like to see signing are A Mantha for his Size and scoring ability and/or SStamkos for obvious reasons. Of course VArviddson sadly would walk...Both Mantha and Stamkos can play LWing with Dubois and really make that "3rd Line" rack up the points and goals...On Defense Roy will be let go to make room for Clarke...after all these like to see the Kings get another RD-man(didn't we have like 20 once) a veteran preferably and please lets see Turcotte,Thomas get real chances by letting Lewis fly back to Salt Lake to become their 4th liner and having done that let Lizotte go back to Minnesota his Home State since the Kings want to add more Scoring,Youth,Size and Grit and I believe the signings that could be added and Farm-hands available will bring...With the Cap probably going up by 4-5 Million the Kings could pull some of these moves off first though the Signing of Byfield to a Bridge deal that doesn't hamstring the Kings about 5.0 M for 2-3 years

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad